Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Crunch Time

jewel21
  • Start Topic

It’s Junior year, and the gang throws a HBCU-themed Homecoming party to kick off the semester. Zoey returns from her summer abroad and realizes that she has to quickly confront her feelings for Aaron and Luca.

Airdate: 01/16/2020

7 hours ago, dungeonwriter said:

Luca: I am a pretentious, gas-lighting snob who can't even apologize without insulting you

Zoey: What if he was the one?

Like Oprah says, when someone shows you who they are, believe them.  But folks in their 20s never listen.  

Kinda crazy that Nomi's the one who is pregnant.

I'm glad that Sky has a love interest that's not Junior (and also that she's not pregnant by Junior, cause that's where my head went they teased a pregnancy). 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

Like Oprah says, when someone shows you who they are, believe them.  But folks in their 20s never listen.  

Kinda crazy that Nomi's the one who is pregnant.

I'm glad that Sky has a love interest that's not Junior (and also that she's not pregnant by Junior, cause that's where my head went they teased a pregnancy). 

Oprah is quoting Maya Angelou. I live by that creed. Took me years (in my 20s, heh!) to learn it but once I did, life got easier.

I'm way more interested in Nomi and Sky than Zoe, and I hope Ana gets something decent to do.

Edited by Empress1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I love this show, even when it...vexes me, which Zoe often does. I want to still like her. I want to WANT to see her succeed, but everything seems so effortless for her, because she's pretty, or wealthy, or whatever. Where did that fabulous house come from? and for her to just succeed so apparently spectacularly in London just irked me. She's not terribly bright, she's not remotely deep or thoughtful, she's smug, she doesn't ever appear to work hard, and so I'm not psyched to see everything come so easily for her. And she's stupid AF about men, tho I give her a pass for that at this age, to an extent.

I did love the twins wondering why all these guys are so into Zoe and if it's always like this living with her. "Sadly, yes" replies Ana, finessing out another Jello shot. Funny.

Hate baby storylines in general, but very interested in Nomi's pregnancy. Who and when? They've only been apart for the summer, but she's pretty big already...so she would have been knocked up before summer break began. Surrogacy? Random hookup, tho she was heavily involved with her professor back then and hasn't seemed very into guys at all of late? Curious.

I was  hoping wornontv would have those ridiculous but awesome boots Zoe was wearing, but not yet anyway.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

Hate baby storylines in general, but very interested in Nomi's pregnancy. Who and when? They've only been apart for the summer, but she's pretty big already...so she would have been knocked up before summer break began. Surrogacy? Random hookup, tho she was heavily involved with her professor back then and hasn't seemed very into guys at all of late? Curious.

She was with that one dude who she got rid of because he said he was bicurious, and that was just before her getting involved with the professor.  Part of me thinks she's a surrogate as a way to get money; I'm having a vague memory of her parents cutting her off because she came out to them (or was that another show?).

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, luna1122 said:

I love this show, even when it...vexes me, which Zoe often does. I want to still like her. I want to WANT to see her succeed, but everything seems so effortless for her, because she's pretty, or wealthy, or whatever. Where did that fabulous house come from? and for her to just succeed so apparently spectacularly in London just irked me. She's not terribly bright, she's not remotely deep or thoughtful, she's smug, she doesn't ever appear to work hard, and so I'm not psyched to see everything come so easily for her. And she's stupid AF about men, tho I give her a pass for that at this age, to an extent.

It's hard to root for Zoey considering she's living in a mansion barely off campus (with a lot of roommates, but still) that most professionals in their 30s couldn't afford, she's gotten a job at 20 that is impossibly prestigious and she seems a poster girl for privilege, who thinks she got there on her own. 

And while I want to believe she got it on her talent, why is Joey Badass needing fashion advice from a 20 year old in college? There are brilliant stylists in California, why is she so brilliant? 

• Love 8

Even after the summer, Luca remains The Worst. Even his half assed "apology" for how much of a dick he was to Zoe for daring to take an opportunity that was presented to her was super passive aggressive and smug and not actually an apology at all. He is such a selfish pretentious ass, I wish that Zoe could finally just be done with him. 

I did not see that ending with Nomi coming! What the hell happened? Surrogacy? Condom broke? 

Aaron is basically me my last year at college, being sad and nostalgic about everything, even things that are totally ridiculous. Except for the streaking part! 

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I did not see that ending with Nomi coming! What the hell happened? Surrogacy? Condom broke? 

I know right?! My guesses were Ana or Jaz. Now I’m really curious about what’s going on with Nomi.

I’m over the Aaron/Zoe/Luca triangle. Let it die show. 

• Love 1

Why did they bother bringing Luca back to be a shit? So we can watch another seemingly confident young lady go to pieces? Lame! I get the issues with her being not so smart and certainly not humble but do we have to have real life young girls and women watching this trash fire?

How in the world do they expect it's too believe Nomi is 8 mos pregnant over the summer? and the others didn't notice last June? BS!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, hatchetgirl said:

How in the world do they expect it's too believe Nomi is 8 mos pregnant over the summer? and the others didn't notice last June? BS!

Exactly. Summer break is only three months long at the most.  And that’s a full grown belly there. I wish they didn’t do this. 

I kind of found most of the episode intolerable actually. Too much suspension of believe. A whole drum line and all that hired for a house party? In college? Not to mention the house, even if Vivek is a drug dealer and Nomi and Zoe have wealthy parents. 

I hope Nomi didn’t decide to have a baby with creepy predator professor lady. I hope it’s not that Nomi agreed to have her child before they broke up. 

I also can’t comprehend Zoe being great at her job if at the first sign of it being treated back in Cali, she almost loses it because of her boy situation. 

Aaron and Diggy were my favorite part of the show. I really wish they would just forget about Aaron and Zoe and let him just be. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Smacky55 said:

I kind of found most of the episode intolerable actually. Too much suspension of believe. A whole drum line and all that hired for a house party? In college? Not to mention the house, even if Vivek is a drug dealer and Nomi and Zoe have wealthy parents

Right? The average 1 bedroom to rent in LA is about $2500 to $3000 per month. That house looks to be at least a 4 bedroom and with the size, I'd imagine rent to be $7500 to $10000 per month!

And can i tell to that the area this college is URL is NOT diverse and there it's no way the neighbors wouldn't have called the police within 30 minutes of that drumline starting hip no matter what time of day.

• Love 5

I saw the trailer for the new season and called it that it would be Nomi that is pregnant.  In TV land, always go with the most unlikely candidate.  Figure she was heartbroken from the fallout with the professor and had a random hook-up with a dude.  He was probably for revenge and her way to rebel.  She was pregnant during last season, just didn't tell anyone.

I can't with Zoe.  At first, I was wondering, WHY, WHY, WHY would they be having a party for her return?!?!?  But then, after the explanation, it made sense.  BUT, BUT, Zoe, as self-absorbed as always, kept calling it her party.  She is the worst.  And, her character has only gotten worse from the 1st season.  I feel this show could be really good without her on it or her being the primary focus.  The twins are way more interesting and less narcissistic.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, hatchetgirl said:

And can i tell to that the area this college is URL is NOT diverse and there it's no way the neighbors wouldn't have called the police within 30 minutes of that drumline starting hip no matter what time of day.

Haha. I didn’t even think about that part. Yes that’s very true. An all day long party with a drumline and all the other noise, I would definitely be one of the people calling the police. 

• Love 1

I know people in college are young and kind of stupid about relationships so on the one hand, it's realistic to see Zoe wistful over Luca, a guy who treated her like shit. On the other hand, this show is on Freeform which is targeted toward young girls so I don't want them watching this show and thinking this is good behavior from either of them.

On 1/17/2020 at 10:33 AM, dungeonwriter said:

It's hard to root for Zoey considering she's living in a mansion barely off campus (with a lot of roommates, but still) that most professionals in their 30s couldn't afford, she's gotten a job at 20 that is impossibly prestigious and she seems a poster girl for privilege, who thinks she got there on her own.

And it's even harder for me to root for her when she ignored her client's text messages multiple times because she was whining to her roommates about boy stuff. Seriously, girl. LEARN TO PRIORITIZE. You can complain and psychoanalyze that crap with your friends later tonight aka after you're done doing your job. You know, for the guy who just paid for you to go to London all summer.

I think one of the reasons it's hard for me to root for Zoey is that she's so undisciplined and even when opportunities fall right into her lap, she doesn't treat them as such. Instead of thinking, "Wow, I am a stylist to a huge celebrity which has been my dream job (for like A WHOLE YEAR) so I'd better take this seriously so that he keeps me on and/or I can get more clients based on other celebrities seeing my work," she stayed at the party to complain about two boys, neither of which she is currently dating. Put on your big girl pants and pull yourself together.

If you can't be professional with the person who gives you money, don't expect to be getting money from him much longer. If she loses him as a client, she's back to being a regular college student with no job prospects and no contacts (because do you really think your former client is going to recommend you to other celebrities if he had to fire you for ignoring him, being unprofessional, not listening to his requests, and generally not doing your job in a satisfactory manner?).

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5

She honestly seemed much more responsible and grounded in high school. I find her quite tiresome.

I do hope that the show is highlighting what bad choices she's making, and how obnoxious Luca is, NOT to normalize or excuse it, but to cause the viewers to reject her nonsense. But it's hard to say. They've built the Luca crap up for 2 full seasons. It's a rather slow pace if they're actually finding it as obnoxious as it looks to me.

• Love 4
On 1/19/2020 at 12:29 PM, hatchetgirl said:

I had the hardest time even paying attention to the first half of the episode because I was having too hard a time suspending disbelief with this.  First, UCAL is supposed to be a PWI, where did they even get an HBCU style drumline and dancers?  Also that house is way too nice to be student rental.  Most student rental houses are busted.  So that had to be in a nice neighborhood.  Which means, that party would have been broken up before they finished the first cymbal crash.

It is obvious the writers who wrote this ep had just watched Beyonce's Coachella set.  I mean, they even had Zoe cosplay her complete with the boots.  Sigh.

I was liking Vivek keeping people out the house.  And as usual Zoey is so trifling.  Girl, be glad he was making people pee in the bushes you don't want randos in your bathroom.

I also liked Joey Badass' reactions to Zoey's stories about Luca:  "He keyed your car?" and  when she told him that Luca chased her to the airport he said 'To kill  you?"  LOL.

Honestly I wish the show would get past needing to be so super focused on Zoey's love life.  3 seasons in and it is still my least favorite part of the show.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 1/19/2020 at 12:29 PM, hatchetgirl said:

Right? The average 1 bedroom to rent in LA is about $2500 to $3000 per month. That house looks to be at least a 4 bedroom and with the size, I'd imagine rent to be $7500 to $10000 per month!

You're right, but hey this is TV, it's pretend.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1