Type keyword(s) to search

Cheer - General Discussion

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, irisheyes said:

Jada has been disinvited from Rebel appearances at cheer comps because Rebel didn’t like the fact she cussed on Cheer. Umm, last I looked it’s rated TV-MA. 

That is ridiculous and I cannot imagine anyone gives a damn whether she swore or not. Aside from the circle speechifying which got old (which they ALL did but so it wasn't just her) she was great! And amazing to watch. And I notice that leaves Angel Rice as the only black female cheerleader on that tour which is a bit rich and definately does not pass the pub test.

Doesn't DWTS hold onto phones/stop contestants communicating/make it difficult? I could see that stopping Monica from getting the phone calls and/or making them. I don't see what Monica could have done after Jerry's arrest and it seemed like she zoomed into cheer meetings about it so really, given there was also quarantine at the time what else should she have done? I agree with the above, she wasn't necessarily guaranteed a 2021 spot if she deferred like a uni student wanting a gap year. I do agree she looked a bit beaten down and exhausted - like most of the returning featured team too

• Love 7
On 1/30/2022 at 5:48 PM, Hanahope said:

I noticed that whenever they show these cheerleaders hometowns, its always with private gyms and not with any school or local recreation cheer programs (which are usually much less expensive). again, its never been my experience (or anyone i know) that all star gyms go around letting kids participate when they/their parents can't pay.  yes, a lot of gyms/all star programs do fundraising, which helps on costs, but even fundraising takes a lot of (parent) time and it appears that many of these kids from harsher backgrounds don't have parents who have the time to do fundraising.  

so kudos to those gym owners who found a way to let these kids have a place to go to hone their skills.  I also have to wonder how these kids participated in competitions, which almost always involve traveling, sometimes out of state and overnight hotel stays.  i guess some other families helped the kids out too.

some above mentioned crop tops.  So it used to be in all star cheerleading that any age could wear crop tops, which imo was just not right on young girls.  but a few years ago, a rule change was made that only senior level and above (which includes college) could wear crop tops.  of course, in all stars, a kid as young as 10 could be on a senior team, so sometimes you do still see young girls in crop tops.  i've always been happy my daughter didn't wear one until she actually was a senior.

I'm very familiar with the gym Maddy came from that gave her the scholarship.  My daughter cheered for them for 2 years, but they weren't a good fit for her and she switched gyms to a, imo, better program.  However, ECE (Maddy's gym) is the largest all-star gym in the area with multiple locations and hundreds of athletes.  They do have a good program and win lots of comps (although, I'm still fully convinced that some of the wins are political).  But, not every gym is a good fit for every athlete.  I did not know they had that level of scholarships (ie, fully paid scholarship). I worked at one of their sites in the office to help off-set the costs and did see other types of scholarship programs.  So, they were pretty generous (probably still are). On top of that, I did tons of fundraising which included working at Gillette Stadium at the concession stands.  When my daughter switched gyms I got a part-time job (in addition to my full-time job) and still did all that work at Gillette.  I basically had two full-time jobs just to pay for it all.  Looking back, I don't regret any of it.  My daughter loved cheer and I loved the travel we did and watching the teams perform. 

13 hours ago, irisheyes said:

Jada has been disinvited from Rebel appearances at cheer comps because Rebel didn’t like the fact she cussed on Cheer. Umm, last I looked it’s rated TV-MA. 
https://www.vulture.com/2022/01/jada-wooten-excluded-cheer-live-appearances.html

Yeah, they do want a squeaky clean reputation, but the swearing wasn't even all that bad.  Swearing is not even that big of a deal. It's not like she was putting anyone down.  She's an adult.  I don't think anyone would clutch their pearls and cry out that an adult said the occasional swear word and not support Rebel anymore because an adult said a "bad word".  I get that most of the cheerleaders are young, but it's not like Rebel is publishing the swear words. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, SparedTurkey said:

That is ridiculous and I cannot imagine anyone gives a damn whether she swore or not. Aside from the circle speechifying which got old (which they ALL did but so it wasn't just her) she was great! And amazing to watch. And I notice that leaves Angel Rice as the only black female cheerleader on that tour which is a bit rich and definately does not pass the pub test.

13 hours ago, irisheyes said:

https://www.vulture.com/2022/01/jada-wooten-excluded-cheer-live-appearances.html

Not to mention that Maddy Brum constantly swore and even laughed about her mom stealing a license plate. Jada wasn't onstage swearing. She was disinvited after agreeing to the schedule and doing a photoshoot. Agree that it doesn't pass the smell test. Just to be clear, I don't think Jada did anything wrong or is at fault.

• Love 7

The falling out with Monica and LaDarius is very unfortunate but I can't believe she and the others are that clueless about why he was so upset. You would think Monica would be much more tuned in but maybe the fame from the show and the DWTS invite really did go to her head a bit. Some of the things LaDarius has said in his lives are pretty exaggerated but he definitely has a right to be upset that she basically checked out at a time when she really should've been there. The way she was going on about how he went to family dinners, she treated him like her son...yet she completely shut him out (or he felt that way), so no wonder he was so hurt by that. 

I  liked Jada okay but thought she had too much of a superiority complex. Agree on the cursing though, that is ridiculous.

Edited by overtherainbow
  • Love 5
On 1/30/2022 at 4:48 PM, Hanahope said:

Another "cheer mom" here with thoughts.

I had no idea that junior colleges gave out scholarships.  or is it just these two because of their cheer program?  it never occurred to me that a JC would have scholarships, since all that i've had contact with were primarily attended by local kids and young adults who lived at home or nearby, and JCs cost less than even state colleges.  it makes me curious as to how Navarro and Trinity Valley got to have scholarships. 

In the midwest, the CC/JC do indeed give scholarships.  Many, in fact.  Around here, many are in small towns, so have dorms, etc.  and actively recruit kids who are decent athletes, but may just need a little more time to grow before going NCAA, who need academic support, etc.  One of my daughter's best friends went to one on a cheer scholarship for two years - she then went to an NAIA 4-year school and cheered, getting her BSN there.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 1/16/2022 at 3:14 PM, RachelKM said:

WTF is the point of Daytona having a Day 1 preliminary round for a competition with only two teams?  It literally just means two teams will do their routines on two consecutive days

This makes sense to me -- they want to test the teams for consistency. It's just like why the World Series is a series and not a single game. If it's just one and done, there's more likelihood that a weaker team has one good day and wins. 

On 1/16/2022 at 10:36 PM, Irlandesa said:

In the interview with the FBI, Jerry admitted a lot of stuff.

I'm a lawyer, and this is sad to me because I wonder if a kid who grew up more privileged would know not to confess to the police. Guilty people have the same right as innocent people to make the government prove its case against them. It sounds like there was a ton of evidence and Jerry was going to get convicted of something whether he confessed or not. But that confession might be the difference between spending one year or 20 years in prison for the exact same criminal acts. This is one reason you see poor black men going to prison so much longer than middle-class white men doing the same stuff -- it's not just biased judges and juries, it's also knowledge of how the system works.

I don't agree with passing on blame to his teammates or Monica just because they didn't see it, or weren't self-flagellating enough after they found out. IMO, they shouldn't have to feel guilt for what went on, and they are entitled to the pain and grief they feel in the aftermath. And, like Gabi, they are entitled to still love him if that's how they feel, while at the same time recognizing that what he did was SO wrong and he needs to pay the consequences.

So much this!! I believe these people when they say they have become a family. If my sister committed murder, I would still love her, and I would visit her in prison. That doesn't mean I support murder or that I dismiss the victims' point of view. It just means we're family, and I wouldn't think it was a virtue to stop loving her even if I could.

I notice that leaves Angel Rice as the only black female cheerleader on that tour which is a bit rich and definately does not pass the pub test.

Rebel is not running the tour. Jada is not presently listed as being on the tour, but that's a separate production from the Rebel endorsement deal.

I say good for all these kids who are getting every drop of gravy out of the gravy train. There probably will not be another one coming. Hell yes, perform on that tour every night. It's only six weeks; rock bands do that a year at a time.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, IvySpice said:

This makes sense to me -- they want to test the teams for consistency. It's just like why the World Series is a series and not a single game. If it's just one and done, there's more likelihood that a weaker team has one good day and wins. 

I can see that argument.  But it doesn't reward consistency as much as making your mistakes, if any, in the prelim round. 

Prelims are usually a term for early rounds for qualifying for a final in an event.  It culls the the participants for a final. When you only have two teams, there is nothing to cull.

• Like 1
On 2/1/2022 at 3:12 AM, SparedTurkey said:

Doesn't DWTS hold onto phones/stop contestants communicating/make it difficult? I could see that stopping Monica from getting the phone calls and/or making them.

To answer your question, no, they don't hold onto the phones of the contestants.  It's not like The Bachelor or Big Brother...etc.  The dancing celebs typically lead their "normal" lives outside of the studio except for making an effort to train more.  Pre-pandemic, the professional dancers often traveled with the celebs if they had to work elsewhere.

3 hours ago, IvySpice said:

I'm a lawyer, and this is sad to me because I wonder if a kid who grew up more privileged would know not to confess to the police.

Probably.  But there's also this weird thing with Jerry where he doesn't seem to understand the gravity of what he did. Isn't it rumored someone warned him to get rid of his phone?  I can't remember.  But I'm thinking of his letter to Monica. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Probably.  But there's also this weird thing with Jerry where he doesn't seem to understand the gravity of what he did. Isn't it rumored someone warned him to get rid of his phone?  I can't remember.  But I'm thinking of his letter to Monica. 

I think Jerry is so used to charming his way out of bad situations that he thinks he can always make lemonade out of lemons.

• Love 5

he doesn't seem to understand the gravity of what he did.

I suspect that this is true of many people who think their relationships with minors are consensual. Perhaps especially those whose victims are young men, because teen boys can be stereotyped as a bunch of horndogs who are always glad to get any action.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I just finished watching both season one and season 2 of Cheer. I loved season 1 and had mixed feelings about season 2. The fame and everything that came with it as well as COVID took something away from the second season. Also, the stakes seemed lower because they weren’t showing any injuries, and there didn’t seem to be any substitutions needed because of injured teammates. Anyone know why there was such a stark contrast from the first season? I’m guessing they decided not to show that side of cheerleading after the backlash the coaches received, which is a shame because I think that sort of thing needs to be showcased and called out so that hopefully there can be changes made. It also seemed that the show brought in cheerleaders of a higher caliber so perhaps there were less catastrophic injuries for that reason but there was clearly an editorial decision made as well to gloss over the injuries. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, IvySpice said:

Rebel is not running the tour. Jada is not presently listed as being on the tour, but that's a separate production from the Rebel endorsement deal.

Oh I thought I saw Angel was on the meet & greet as well as the tour. May well be wrong.

But if Angel isnt on the meet & greets that seems like a missed opportunity given how well known she seems to be in the cheer-following world.

On 2/7/2022 at 4:48 PM, IvySpice said:

I'm a lawyer, and this is sad to me because I wonder if a kid who grew up more privileged would know not to confess to the police. Guilty people have the same right as innocent people to make the government prove its case against them. It sounds like there was a ton of evidence and Jerry was going to get convicted of something whether he confessed or not. But that confession might be the difference between spending one year or 20 years in prison for the exact same criminal acts. This is one reason you see poor black men going to prison so much longer than middle-class white men doing the same stuff -- it's not just biased judges and juries, it's also knowledge of how the system works.

Jerry pleads guilty

I thought they were going for 15 years, but it looks like they could go for as much as 50 years. My guess is 25.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 2/7/2022 at 4:48 PM, IvySpice said:

I am not a lawyer but I see some misconception on your statement. 

First, Jerry has a very underprivileged background but I understood that he had been adopted by a family that has at least some privileges. Unless they are not supporting him in any way, he would likely have access to an attorney.

The government hardly ever "makes a case". Over 90% of cases are plea deals. The courts could not handle all the cases otherwise. It is one big ignored scandal in this country: police making bogus arrests to get convictions via a plea deal that will enrich the private prisons and the pockets of the goons running the corporations. The large majority of prisoners in the US are innocent people of people being held without charges. When the accused refuses to plead guilty to a charge (bogus or not) the prosecutors throw a bunch of charges at them, making them go to court, risk losing and spending virtually the rest of their lives incarcerated. This is done as an example for others to plead guilty, keeping the wheels of corruption and profiteering moving.

Jerry's charges were not bogus but it was clear to me that they would reach a deal. That's why I felt really uncomfortable watching those boys exposing themselves for anyone to see. They didn't have to do that, since the desired outcome was Jerry's punishment, which will come anyway.

I agree with your last statement of black man being disproportionally sent to prison (in absolute terms the white population is larger). The sentences reflect the class, more than race.  It is not only judges and jury though. It is the whole system, in particular and arguably mainly, the corporate machine.

I have learnt all this by listening to Chris Hedges who teaches in a NJ prison, and I am reading his book now.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I feel ambivalent about the twins’ appearing on the show. On one hand, no—they did not need to do that in order to get Jerry to plea guilty. On the other hand, if they truly wanted to do so (with parental permission), why shouldn’t they? It seemed from what they said that they were identified and shunned by some members of the cheer community anyway. Showing the fact that victims are real, live individuals and not nameless and faceless entities is sometimes helpful.

However, I don’t know that if I were the twins’ parent that I would have allowed them to appear on the show.  It would be a hard decision.

• Like 1
  • Love 8
14 hours ago, Adiba said:

I feel ambivalent about the twins’ appearing on the show. On one hand, no—they did not need to do that in order to get Jerry to plea guilty. On the other hand, if they truly wanted to do so (with parental permission), why shouldn’t they? It seemed from what they said that they were identified and shunned by some members of the cheer community anyway. Showing the fact that victims are real, live individuals and not nameless and faceless entities is sometimes helpful.

However, I don’t know that if I were the twins’ parent that I would have allowed them to appear on the show.  It would be a hard decision.

I get that. I felt this way initially but I think that if I were a parent I would not allow them to be filmed and would not allow their names to be revealed. What happened to them was assault and it is traumatizing. They are way too young to deal with very adult issues, specially one that is so full of stigma. In this age of twitter and such platforms, they will continue to be harassed and attacked. It is like they (the parents) are voluntarily adding this to the trauma. 

I was assaulted as a young woman and the trauma is deep and does not go away. I had one "friend" who blamed me, and others who I I am sure would have done the same if they knew. For a long time I isolated myself as much as I could, faked happiness the rest of the time.  That was way before social media existed. I cannot imagine how I would feel if the ordeal had been public because the attacker was "rich and could have had anyone he wanted". Speaking out might be releasing but public speaking when one is so young might backfire in the person's recovery.

• Love 7

That's why I felt really uncomfortable watching those boys exposing themselves for anyone to see. They didn't have to do that, since the desired outcome was Jerry's punishment, which will come anyway.

I agree. I suspect the parents influenced the decision. These days, many people start angling for financial returns the moment a tragedy happens. Trauma is broadcast on social media and is monetized. The boys are too young to be exposed the way they were on the show. There will be emotional repercussions down the line.

I wonder if Jerry was abused by someone in the foster community. A neighbor who is a police officer fostered a young girl and told me foster sexual abuse is more common that people realize. (Girl now in college and OK.) Also, foster-for-cash.

• Love 1

The government hardly ever "makes a case". Over 90% of cases are plea deals. 

The government making their case is what CAUSES the plea deals. Making their case is not just something that happens in front of a jury. It happens before the plea negotiations. Why do most defendants plead guilty when they have a right to demand a trial?  Because the prosecutors put all the evidence together and go to the defendant and their counsel and argue that they WOULD win if they went to trial, and that's why the defendant should plead guilty. The government's bargaining position is about 10 times stronger if they have a confession than if they don't. Jerry told them exactly where to look to find all the best evidence against him. He'll be paying for that mistake for up to 50 years. This is federal prison -- you can't get paroled halfway through your sentence the way you might in some state systems. If you get 20 years, you're doing at least 18. And Jerry may need to be in protective custody for his own safety, because he's notorious for sexually abusing children; other prisoners may be out for his blood. I can't imagine how solitary confinement affects a 99th-percentile extrovert like Jerry.

An awful situation from every possible angle. Think of all the people Jerry hurt: his victims; their families; his foster family; the people who loved him at Navarro. On top of it, he destroyed his own life. It just goes on and on.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I’m sitting down to watch season 2- I loved season 1, was a fan of Jerry and was shocked & appalled to hear of his crimes.

I wanted to watch the second season in support of the great things these young people are doing- the Netflix show brought so much good press, Jerry’s crimes shouldn’t take away the joy from the team/show as a whole. 

I don’t quite follow how individuals come back for a 3rd year- isn’t community college 2 years? Are they going part-time?(please forgive my ignorance) I wonder why there’s no pro- cheerleading or Olympic category. 

• Love 1

A woman that was abused by Larry Nassar became a lawyer to represent victims- she was a part of the team that convicted Jerry, I didn’t know this. How amazing she has committed to helping others after what the POS put her through. 

On 2/12/2022 at 5:36 AM, circumvent said:

I get that. I felt this way initially but I think that if I were a parent I would not allow them to be filmed and would not allow their names to be revealed. What happened to them was assault and it is traumatizing. They are way too young to deal with very adult issues, specially one that is so full of stigma. In this age of twitter and such platforms, they will continue to be harassed and attacked. It is like they (the parents) are voluntarily adding this to the trauma. 

I was assaulted as a young woman and the trauma is deep and does not go away. I had one "friend" who blamed me, and others who I I am sure would have done the same if they knew. For a long time I isolated myself as much as I could, faked happiness the rest of the time.  That was way before social media existed. I cannot imagine how I would feel if the ordeal had been public because the attacker was "rich and could have had anyone he wanted". Speaking out might be releasing but public speaking when one is so young might backfire in the person's recovery.

On 2/12/2022 at 10:07 AM, pasdetrois said:

I agree. I suspect the parents influenced the decision. These days, many people start angling for financial returns the moment a tragedy happens. Trauma is broadcast on social media and is monetized. The boys are too young to be exposed the way they were on the show. There will be emotional repercussions down the line.

I wonder if Jerry was abused by someone in the foster community. A neighbor who is a police officer fostered a young girl and told me foster sexual abuse is more common that people realize. (Girl now in college and OK.) Also, foster-for-cash.

I understand what you both are saying. @circumvent I am very sorry for what happened to you. While I agree that parents would want to protect their child, I also could see if the child wanted to speak out the parent being supportive. These boys didn’t do anything wrong and they shouldn’t have to hide. 

This isn’t exactly the same thing of course- but I think of all the children/teens who risked their lives during the Civil Rights movement trying to desegregate schools- who had their names and faces in the newspaper and received death threats. I totally understand why parents wouldn’t want their kids in that position, but I can’t say that the parents that let their children participate were negligent parents. Whenever a school desegregated my godmother’s father sent her- she attended 3 different high schools because he said it was important for her to be on the front lines of desegregation. She never felt in danger of her life, but was that the best for her mental health? I don’t know. Again I know it’s not exactly the same thing but I thought of that- your child being at the forefront of what you believe can be social change for the better. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5
On 2/18/2022 at 7:23 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I wonder why there’s no pro- cheerleading or Olympic category. 

you and all the parents of cheerleaders.  There has been efforts to make cheerleading an Olympic sport and an NCAA recognized sport and its in the works,  but its slow.  i'm not sure how popular cheerleading is in other countries, which may be part of the problem.  cheerleading seemed to start on the sidelines of football and basketball games, which are almost exclusively american. of course, the "sport" of cheerleading has changed over the years and now is much more gymnastic.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Hanahope said:

you and all the parents of cheerleaders.  There has been efforts to make cheerleading an Olympic sport and an NCAA recognized sport and its in the works,  but its slow.  i'm not sure how popular cheerleading is in other countries, which may be part of the problem.  cheerleading seemed to start on the sidelines of football and basketball games, which are almost exclusively american. of course, the "sport" of cheerleading has changed over the years and now is much more gymnastic.

I've only watched a couple of episodes of season 2, so I don't have much to say about it yet, but I wanted to comment in this. Cheerleading is almost exclusively American.  It has started to gain popularity outside of the United States and is now in several countries,  but I don't think it's big enough world wide yet for it to become an Olympic sport. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

It looks like La'Darius is trying out at several 4 year schools. He's posted some about it on instagram. He might be leaning toward Weber State, where Gaby went to school for a semester or so. 

I follow a few Navarro alums. It's interesting to see posts about the Cheer tour. It looks like only a handful of the participants are really well-known (Morgan, Gaby, Maddy, Angel). Andy is also there. I don't know how many of the cheerleaders are current students. I wonder if people like Lexi, Sherbs, Austin, La'Darius, TT, and others were asked to join or not. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

After all that, Navarro did not wear white at Daytona.  So, it was the black unis that cost them the title, right?

The jidges most definitely were biased for TVCC.  Whether it was for the concept of an appearance of a competitive division, or it was some backlash for Navarro's and Monica's fame, or it was Jerry,  they cut TVCC significant breaks in scoring the first routine and they punished the Dawgs.  No way was the one drop worth a .75 deduction.  TVCC had 1.6 points deducted from their first routine.  So, the Navarro drop was, effectively, 2.25 point deduction (75% of score).  That half a point gave TVCC the title.  Navarro was dang near perfect in the first round, but did not sniff a 99.  Give TVCC a world of credit for summoning up a fantastic response with their 2nd routine.  But, as Khris wryly noted, the jidges were looking for a way to give them the title.

Schools can give scholarships for any reason to anyone for any amount over any period of time.  It's competitive eligibility and athletic scholarships that are subject to limitations.  I noted early on that we never did hear how many schollies Monica controlled, nor how many partial vs. full rides she divvied up.  I am curious as to what the schools are limited to offer.  For example, in big boy football, a maximum of 85 full rides may be provided in any given academic year.  There can't be very many cheer schollies at the JC level. 

I remember Gabi as this social media superstar of cheer who was raking it in before she stepped foot in Corsicana.  I'm sure the window for such can't be all that long, but did her influencing cash disappear between 2019 and 2021? 

Dee angers me and I give credit to the Director for having the guts to show him as, at a minimum, ill-mannered.   I honor his discomfort, largely based on culture.  I would never, ever, force him to change his deep-seated want to present as not gay.  But...the Cheer culture very clearly demands a "cheerful" presentation.  The rules themselves outline this.  It's all an artifice, but it is a fiercely protected one.  If you want to "perform" you simply must display joy and excitement. 

So, if a Dee does not want to do that, he or she needs to find another form of expression.  The sport does not have to bend for those who insist on showing toughness. 

What I did not understand is how nobody thought to approach the Weenies with the analogy of an actor.  Performance is performance.   It most often is not a true reflection of the performer.  Surely, there must be a movie or show in which those guys had made the distinction between what a character on screen does and the men who are playing roles?

It sure seemed that Navarro flew to Daytona and TVCC bussed.  Not one word about the physical toll of the hours on a bus vs. 90 minutes in the air?  So many split hairs were discussed on all aspects of optimizing readiness for the mat on that beach.  Nothing about an actual issue of the additional burden and disadvantage for TVCC?  No complaining whatsoever by TVCC athletes?

Did Monica really spend $100K on a temporary stage?  Nope.

Vontae's general approach is tried and true and totally recognizable to football coaches everywhere.   Make practices as brutal as possible and then build them up as the game approaches.  Gamedays are for nothing but positivity.  In short, make the games easier than the practices.

Full credit to the filmmakers for ending with the upbeat TVCC chant in the water.  It was a perfect bow for the season. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 3

OMG the Navarro uniform. Heavy makeup, a big bow and a poof of hair with a bunch of curls. They look like Minnie Mouse joined a cheer squad.  I'm west coast and the whole southern state big hair and lots of makeup look is horrible to me so perhaps it's just a regional thing that I hate,. But everytime they dress for Daytona all I see is Minnie Mouse.

Oh, excuse me. TVCC also looks like Minnie Mouse. No poof, just the rest.

That's what you want when you go to church to worship: a cheerleading exhibition. Sigh.

As a side note, Villalobos Rescue Center (of Pitbulls and Parolees tv show) has an amazing wolf/wolfdog rescue center in Athens Texas. (It'll be part of the filming for the new season of P&P this fall so fans will be introduced to it then). It's the first thing I think about when they switch to Athens for the TVCC team's filming. Who knew they had a kickass cheerleading team as well? For a tiny little town they've got some big tv going on.

Edited by Andyourlittledog2
added
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 7/31/2022 at 1:37 AM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

But, as Khris wryly noted, the jidges were looking for a way to give them the title.

Krhys interested the hell out of me. Like, his general life situation made me wonder a lot. I want to know more about him.

• Like 3
On 7/31/2022 at 1:37 AM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

The jidges most definitely were biased for TVCC.  Whether it was for the concept of an appearance of a competitive division, or it was some backlash for Navarro's and Monica's fame, or it was Jerry,  they cut TVCC significant breaks in scoring the first routine and they punished the Dawgs.  No way was the one drop worth a .75 deduction.  TVCC had 1.6 points deducted from their first routine.  So, the Navarro drop was, effectively, 2.25 point deduction (75% of score).  That half a point gave TVCC the title.  Navarro was dang near perfect in the first round, but did not sniff a 99.  Give TVCC a world of credit for summoning up a fantastic response with their 2nd routine.  But, as Khris wryly noted, the jidges were looking for a way to give them the title.

--(I just finished season two, so I'm making comments on old posts).

I'm no cheer expert, but people on this thread have commented that TVCC's routine was faster and had a higher level of difficulty. Correct me if I'm wrong.

On 1/17/2022 at 7:09 PM, DearEvette said:

THE WEENIES: Two levels going on here with what I feel is an important conversation.  On the one hand it makes sense if all you've ever known was to do tumbles/stunts and you’ve gone to national championships with a cheer club and you've won on the strength of your tumble/stunts with no need to perform,  the need to do so can be a case of really pulling you out of your comfort zone.  Otoh, their inclusion here is important conversation about masculinity and cheer that was completely absent last season with the Navarro (primarily black) male cheerleaders that were heavily featured being flamboyant. Cheer has never, ever been coded as a masculine endeavor and it is understandable they have internalized that long held (and honestly still held) belief. 

Great post. I think, while it was important for the male cheerleaders to accept that cheering would not "make them gay," it's just as important to recognize where the boys were and where society still is. These are 18-19 year old young men who identify as straight. A large number of male cheerleaders are gay, and it is often assumed that male cheerleaders are okay. 

I liked Dee -- the tumbler. I think he wanted to be recruited by a college to play basketball, and when that didn't happen, cheering was his opportunity to play a sport and go to college. 

And in the final competition, he did give some version of a smile. When he didn't fall on the tumbling pass that he messed up in the prelims, he did a quick "ice in my veins" hand gesture. And he did smile -- a little-- when the routine was over. And by the end of the season, when he said he was coming back, he added "I love cheer." That's growth to me. 

On 5/14/2023 at 7:20 PM, irisheyes said:

Monica (and the entire Navarro program) has been sued for covering up a SA report. 

That's horrible if it's true. And historically, allegations like this are almost always true. 

• Like 3