Type keyword(s) to search

Cheer - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 2/1/2020 at 5:11 PM, nlkm9 said:

This post comes off as very “ braggity” all these kids are talented no matter which organization they cheer for .

Not the original poster, but I think you misunderstand. The DCC are the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders, so adult women. I don't know if you've ever watched the show. They learn 50 or so dance routines a year, but many of them are the same moves, just different counts, slightly different formations, etc. I believe the poster's point is when someone needs to sub in there, it's much easier to figure it out. And it's dance. If you get out of step, no one is (usually) getting hurt. I agree with her that seeing Alex sub in on such notice was pretty amazing, considering what he had to do. 

Edited by tanyak
  • Love 11

The backgrounds (and continuing stories) of some of these kids are just heartbreaking. Given all that she's experienced, I felt bad for Morgan when her grandparents "joked" that she couldn't live with them. She looked like "Ha ha... oh wait, really?" With the parental abandonment (fuck you, Morgan's dad), I would think her grandparents would be a little more careful about saying that kind of thing, since they seem to care deeply about her well-being.

I was ambivalent about Monica's cheerful characterization of Morgan as a people pleaser. Her takeaway seemed to be that she could get Morgan to agree to anything. But surely Monica would understand that Morgan likely continues to fear abandonment by those who are supposed to be on her side. I find it tragic, and I hope that Morgan is able to forge stable relationships going forward.

• Love 8

Cheer scoring is one of the most debated/complained about things in the sport, especially at really big competitions, where it is common to have prelims and semifinals going on in multiple locations, and sometimes there are BIG differences in scoring between panels. 

Having said that, while I don’t know how NCA college does it, for All Star cheer you typically are scored twice, so usually all teams in a division will be scored by the same judging panels, just not necessarily on the same day, and the scores averaged (sometimes 50/50,sometimes an uneven split). And they do record teams and go back and check scoring if there are major discrepancies. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, dmmetler said:

Cheer scoring is one of the most debated/complained about things in the sport, especially at really big competitions, where it is common to have prelims and semifinals going on in multiple locations, and sometimes there are BIG differences in scoring between panels. 

Having said that, while I don’t know how NCA college does it, for All Star cheer you typically are scored twice, so usually all teams in a division will be scored by the same judging panels, just not necessarily on the same day, and the scores averaged (sometimes 50/50,sometimes an uneven split). And they do record teams and go back and check scoring if there are major discrepancies. 

I agree. The scoring frustrated me sooooo badly.  Especially at the comps where bids were up for grabs and we would have our team, which won 9/10 comps but didn't win that particular one and a team that won 1/10 would get the bid from that competition.  I just think there should be more of a cumulative scoring system especially when we know the comps are owned by the same company and the end goal- either Summit or Worlds- is the same outcome.  

Sports like cheer, ice skating, gymnastics where it's about the judges personal opinion is frustrating, but also gives a real sense of pride and excitement when the team/individual gets to do something creative and interesting with their routine and is rewarded for it.  The only real problem I have with it is that then coaches push for harder and harder stunts- like Monica.  The amount of injuries was insane and, I don't think, normal.  

• Useful 1
On 1/21/2020 at 9:12 AM, luckyroll3 said:

Lexie is one bad ass tumbler!  I can watch her tumble for hours.  Even in the video of their routine that was posted upthread, I couldn't take my eyes off of her.  I'm glad they gave her another chance to be on the team.  When she said she got kicked off, it made me cry, cause you can tell she's one of the kids that really needs something like this to keep them going.  

I could watch her for hours too!  I found some routines on youtube, and I seriously find myself watching her the whole time.  I have watched Navarro's competition routine so many times the song is stuck in my head.  I do not understand why they would put that "tastes like chicken" as lyrics in the song.  I know they are going after the rivals, and that is the "joke" but how weird.

I read an article on the guy who writes all of the cheer music for most of the competing teams and after listening to some of the other team's songs, I am trying to figure out why they all have him do it.  He must have sold his soul to the devil - the songs are BAD!

He was so excited to have dog barking throughout the Navarro team's music.  Like, that kind of ruined it! 

On 1/21/2020 at 10:30 PM, dbell1 said:

PS, Gabi, I know you love those people, but damn, sever the umbilical cord and stop being your family’s cash cow. 

Someone here mentioned that her family is super wealthy.  I don't see it, or really believe it.  They are too wrapped up in her making money.

On 1/25/2020 at 9:51 PM, Sterling said:

Oh, and her bragging about going to the “Best business school”.....sooooo funny.  She was there in the late 80’s/early 90’s, when all you had to do was sign your name to get in.  How do I know?  I went there too back then.  No way in h*ll I’d get in today.  My SAT scores and class rank were literally HALF what you’d need to get accepted today.  She’s bragging as though she got in now.  Nuh. Uh.  
I make a joke when I tell people where I went.  By the skin of my teeth, I say.  Whenever people sound impressed, I always make sure to remind them of the different time it was, and what a simpler admissions process it was back then....whew.  It made me cringe when she bragged like that.  

Where did Monica (and you) go to business school? 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Where did Monica (and you) go to business school? 

LOL, she bragged about it several times.  The University of Texas at Austin, more specifically, the business school within UT.

Today, it's considered the #2 school of business behind #1 Wharton (University of Pennsylvania, a true Ivy League school).

But here's the thing:  back when she (and I) went, it was considered a great business school, but you basically had to do just a little more than sign your name to get in.  Today, it's a completely different story.  I'd never get in on today's standards.

But Monica bragged about it as though she was accepted under today's standards, not the sign-your-name and "let's party" standards of our day.  Me?  I laugh about it.

Edited by Sterling
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Sterling said:

But Monica bragged about it as though she was accepted under today's standards, not the sign-your-name and "let's party" standards of our day.  Me?  I laugh about it.

If the quality of education is still the same then it's still something to brag about. Brag Sterling you deserve it!

This show reminds me of British Bake off in how supportive they are of each other and how good it makes me feel to see these kids (with these tragic backgrounds) smile and celebrate.

How come Morgan's father didn't go to jail? Child abandonment is a crime.

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, Adgirl said:

If the quality of education is still the same then it's still something to brag about. Brag Sterling you deserve it!

I mean, I went because it was the only school I got accepted to, and the only one I could afford....back in the dark ages.  It's much more highly thought of now, but I don't pretend that I could get in today.  Maybe Monica could, maybe she couldn't.  But the bragging is what rubs me the wrong way.  

Re:  your comment about Morgan's dad....agreed.  And where is her mom?  She said that her brother left to go find her.  Why weren't both of her parents held accountable?  Such a shameful way to treat a child.  In that respect, I do appreciate that Monica gave her, and many of these others, stability.  I just wonder, if Morgan couldn't do the flips & jumps like she does, would Monica have been as loving?

Edited by Sterling
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, Adgirl said:

This show reminds me of British Bake off in how supportive they are of each other and how good it makes me feel to see these kids (with these tragic backgrounds) smile and celebrate.

This has been my experience with the athletes- they are super supportive.  The issues I've seen with cattiness, pettiness and nastiness is with the parents, unfortunately. 

• Love 2
On 2/6/2020 at 8:24 AM, StatMom said:

The backgrounds (and continuing stories) of some of these kids are just heartbreaking. Given all that she's experienced, I felt bad for Morgan when her grandparents "joked" that she couldn't live with them. She looked like "Ha ha... oh wait, really?" With the parental abandonment (fuck you, Morgan's dad), I would think her grandparents would be a little more careful about saying that kind of thing, since they seem to care deeply about her well-being.

I was ambivalent about Monica's cheerful characterization of Morgan as a people pleaser. Her takeaway seemed to be that she could get Morgan to agree to anything. But surely Monica would understand that Morgan likely continues to fear abandonment by those who are supposed to be on her side. I find it tragic, and I hope that Morgan is able to forge stable relationships going forward.

I agree, my heart just broke for that poor child.  She really needs someone in her corner with no strings attached.  

• Love 3

FWIW, Morgan's granddad said no when she said "I want to come back and live with you forever," in response to them talking about her plans for her future.  To me, it read that she was saying she would rather come hide from life there (not in a serious I can't deal with things kind of way, more like wistful, wouldn't it be nice kind of way) and her grandpa said no to that idea.  Which, I can see why people can be super sensitive about Morgan, but he was actually saying the right thing, she can't come live with them forever. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, lasu said:

FWIW, Morgan's granddad said no when she said "I want to come back and live with you forever," in response to them talking about her plans for her future.  To me, it read that she was saying she would rather come hide from life there (not in a serious I can't deal with things kind of way, more like wistful, wouldn't it be nice kind of way) and her grandpa said no to that idea.  Which, I can see why people can be super sensitive about Morgan, but he was actually saying the right thing, she can't come live with them forever. 

I agree. I think that as much as her grandparents love her, they want to see her become an independent adult who goes out into the world and achieves her full potential, not someone who lives with her grandparents for the rest of her life because she was too emotionally damaged by her father abandoning her to ever find stability and happiness.

When Morgan said she wanted to come back and live with them forever, it reminded me of when little girls say they want to marry their dads. It's a childish fantasy about what makes them feel safe. There's nothing wrong with her grandparents expecting her to move out and find her own path and not live with them. Realistically, I'm that if she ever needs to come home, they will let her move back in, but I think they just need her to know that moving back home at the ripe old age of 20 shouldn't be her life plan.

• Love 7

I think there are opportunities to continue after college in similar ways. Coaching, performing in a circus, performing in a theme park (have you seen Festival of the Lion King at Disney World?) , teaching yoga, owning a studio or gym, being a brand spokesperson or a motivational speaker. A business degree or a physical fitness or therapy degree would be a perfect complement. 

As far as Monica not caring too much about injuries, she should definitely not have let that kid participate with a hurt back. As for the other injuries, she’s pretty focused on division of labor. She’s not going to be assessing injuries as that’s not her job. She did mention that keeping her cool is very important to prevent everyone from panicking. 

13 hours ago, SongbirdHollow said:

She did mention that keeping her cool is very important to prevent everyone from panicking. 

She demonstrated that really well when Scherbs fell. She was very calm and reassured Scherbs and talked to her while someone else called for help. Afterward she said that she was freaked out because it looked like a really bad injury but she didn't want to upset Scherbs.

As simple as it sounds, not everyone is capable of hiding their shock and fear so that they can comfort someone. And she's right - if she had shown how distressed she was or said, "Yeah, your arm looks TOTALLY FUCKED UP," it just would have made the situation worse. It's important to keep the injured person as calm as possible but when you also factor in the 20+ kids who are in the same room, you need to keep them from spiraling and panicking. Her calm demeanor is really important when things like that happen.

She also showed the same calm attitude at nationals. I know some coaches would have been screaming at everyone but she just calmly got everyone together, told them what they had to do, and had them start practicing. Compare that to some of the football coaches we've seen on Last Chance U losing their shit and screaming at everyone on the field (players, referees, other coaches, etc.). Being able to keep a cool head in really stressful situations is a skill that people like Monica don't get enough credit for.

• Love 9
18 hours ago, SongbirdHollow said:

I think there are opportunities to continue after college in similar ways. Coaching, performing in a circus, performing in a theme park (have you seen Festival of the Lion King at Disney World?) , teaching yoga, owning a studio or gym, being a brand spokesperson or a motivational speaker. A business degree or a physical fitness or therapy degree would be a perfect complement. 

As far as Monica not caring too much about injuries, she should definitely not have let that kid participate with a hurt back. As for the other injuries, she’s pretty focused on division of labor. She’s not going to be assessing injuries as that’s not her job. She did mention that keeping her cool is very important to prevent everyone from panicking. 

As someone who worked in Disney World, while FOTLK is a great show, and the actors definitely get paid more than your hourly front line cast members on stage (I think they're equity), but I'm not entirely sure it's a great living. I'll have to ask some of my friends who used to work it. 

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 8:29 PM, GaT said:
On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 5:55 AM, CoolMom said:

I am sad that Lexi backslid into her old ways because she took the fall for a "friend". 

That's what she told her grandparents happened, personally, I'm a bit skeptical.

I'm more than a bit skeptical.  I was married to an alcoholic/addict for more years than I should have been and this is exactly the kind of lie they would tell.  Whatever drink or drug it was, it was Lexi's and not one of her friends'.  100% guarantee this.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 1/13/2020 at 1:42 PM, Loves2Dance said:

Gabi's parents are rich. Her father has several businesses and they live a very nice life in South Florida. 

Yeah, I really don't think this is a child actress supporting her family situation at all. That's a pretty damn nice house they have.

Gabi's mom just strikes me as living vicariously through her daughter, and the dad strikes me as someone who's willing to do anything that will make a buck.

Can't Gabi become like a Dallas cowboys cheerleader or something? That would extend her ability to cheer through her late 20's.

I kind of feel like her parents are pushing her to monetize as much as she can before hitting her cheerleading sell-by date, and when that happens, they'll push her to find a nice (re: rich) guy to settle down with. It'd be great to see Gabi become a go-getter like Monica, but I really don't think that's going to happen.

On 1/14/2020 at 2:02 PM, Misslindsey said:

It looks like Morgan is at Texas Tech now.

I thought she was finishing up her third year now? Hmm, interesting.

It looks like you can be allowed to be on the team for 3 years, and that you can take up to 5 years to finish your degree.

Anyway, this was a fun experience. I loved that this show focused on the actual mechanics of cheer leading and not so much on personal relationships outside of the team.

I started watching this show because Benito Skinner did a parody:

He absolutely nailed Monica and Lexi. Kind of wish he'd done Kap, although I'm pretty sure he didn't because he's sensitive about not playing ethnic characters.

I started howling with laughter when Kap showed up in a production of Little Women.

Does anyone know who the tall lanky guy with the long face and brown hair and eyes was? I thought he was so cute-kind of reminded me of Eric Balfour when he was young. He's at the end in the audition scene for the next set of cheerleaders.

Edited by methodwriter85
52 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Can't Gabi become like a Dallas cowboys cheerleader or something? That would extend her ability to cheer through her late 20's.

The DCC aren't cheerleaders on the same level as Navarro. They are dancers and their routines are the same 5-10 dance moves over and over to a million different songs. There's no stunting at all which is what Gabi specializes in. It's a completely different beast and although I don't know Gabi personally, I'm guessing she would consider it a huge downgrade to go from the advanced stunting she does to watered down pom routines. And being a DCC doesn't pay well so her parents probably wouldn't support that decision either since they're all about monetizing their daughter.

57 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

I thought she was finishing up her third year now?

This was discussed in more detail above. Morgan is still in her third year at Navarro. She isn't going to Texas Tech until the 20-21 school year.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Yeah, I really don't think this is a child actress supporting her family situation at all. That's a pretty damn nice house they have.

Gabi's mom just strikes me as living vicariously through her daughter, and the dad strikes me as someone who's willing to do anything that will make a buck.

I kind of feel like her parents are pushing her to monetize as much as she can before hitting her cheerleading sell-by date, and when that happens, they'll push her to find a nice (re: rich) guy to settle down with. It'd be great to see Gabi become a go-getter like Monica, but I really don't think that's going to happen.

I thought she was finishing up her third year now? Hmm, interesting.

It looks like you can be allowed to be on the team for 3 years, and that you can take up to 5 years to finish your degree.

Anyway, this was a fun experience. I loved that this show focused on the actual mechanics of cheer leading and not so much on personal relationships outside of the team.

I started watching this show because Benito Skinner did a parody:

He absolutely nailed Monica and Lexi. Kind of wish he'd done Kap, although I'm pretty sure he didn't because he's sensitive about not playing ethnic characters.

I started howling with laughter when Kap showed up in a production of Little Women.

Does anyone know who the tall lanky guy with the long face and brown hair and eyes was? I thought he was so cute-kind of reminded me of Eric Balfour when he was young. He's at the end in the audition scene for the next set of cheerleaders.

Gabi would never make it through the DCC audition process. She doesn't have the dance experience or technique needed. 

• Love 2

The most common path after college cheer is coaching. And almost all coaches have a day job-the only one at DD’s gym who does not is the University of Memphis coach-and he still coaches two all star teams and two school teams on top of the UM teams, so he has three coaching jobs. Many coaches I know teach school, and it can be a tough haul to teach kids all day and then go coach after school and at night-one of the coaches I know taught high school history all day, coached middle and high school cheer in the afternoons, and All Star Cheer 4 nights a week, high school games on Saturdays, and many weekends.  Jerry would probably make an excellent coach. 

Another path is working for a company like Varsity or Rebel on the business, fashion design, event planning, or other facets of the cheer industry side-I can see Gabi going that route. 

• Love 1

Correct me if Im wrong but cant they still cheer allstar cheer after college? I swear Reckless from Cali allstars (the gym where Gabi cheered for a few years) has people well into their 20s on the team. Some even that cheered at Navarro. Im pretty positive that Robert cheered at Navarro and is back on Reckless right now.

On 2/29/2020 at 11:52 AM, Aradea said:

Correct me if Im wrong but cant they still cheer allstar cheer after college? I swear Reckless from Cali allstars (the gym where Gabi cheered for a few years) has people well into their 20s on the team. Some even that cheered at Navarro. Im pretty positive that Robert cheered at Navarro and is back on Reckless right now.

Yes. My daughter did an extra yea of cheer as a “super senior” because she had graduated and was 19. They all have teams for all ages that people can compete on. 

On 2/21/2020 at 4:05 AM, methodwriter85 said:

Where did you see this Eric Balfour lookalike?? I’m obsessed with him.

On 2/21/2020 at 11:05 AM, methodwriter85 said:

I mean to quote this in my response below. I'm pretty sure you're talking about DIllon Brandt. I've seen him pop up on various instagrams and I think he returned for a third year. (Which, of course, is over now).   

(edited)

I binge watched this show this weekend and I loved it! I always wanted to be a cheerleader when I was little but I could never get the tumbling down (I had a phobia about landing on my head). 

Those girls (and guys) were so amazingly strong and beautiful to watch. I could watch Morgan fly for days, Lexi tumble for days, Jerry cheer for days. The personalities were so different and everyone had such interesting backgrounds, that it really drew me in.

I'm glad to see that Lexi is back at Navarro, I think she could go so far in life if she could just pull it together and Monica seems to provide a stability that she needs. I think Morgan needs that stability, too, so I was okay with her going back for a third year. I'm unsure if Jerry needed to go back, I wanted him to be happy at Louisville. 

Gabi's parents were pieces of work. Poor kid, I hope she has someone truly looking out for her because her entire family seemed like vultures. I will admit, the first few episodes with her, I stereotyped her into a mean girl, stuck up cheerlebrity. But she was so sweet, so supportive of her teammates, and so open about her insecurities, that I grew to love her. I feel like Navarro was good for her--she was in one place with one team and one coach for an extended period of time, which I don't think she got a lot of before. 

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I binge watched this show this weekend and I loved it! I always wanted to be a cheerleader when I was little but I could never get the tumbling down (I had a phobia about landing on my head). 

Those girls (and guys) were so amazingly strong and beautiful to watch. I could watch Morgan fly for days, Lexi tumble for days, Jerry cheer for days. The personalities were so different and everyone had such interesting backgrounds, that it really drew me in.

I'm glad to see that Lexi is back at Navarro, I think she could go so far in life if she could just pull it together and Monica seems to provide a stability that she needs. I think Morgan needs that stability, too, so I was okay with her going back for a third year. I'm unsure if Jerry needed to go back, I wanted him to be happy at Louisville. 

Gabi's parents were pieces of work. Poor kid, I hope she has someone truly looking out for her because her entire family seemed like vultures. I will admit, the first few episodes with her, I stereotyped her into a mean girl, stuck up cheerlebrity. But she was so sweet, so supportive of her teammates, and so open about her insecurities, that I grew to love her. I feel like Navarro was good for her--she was in one place with one team and one coach for an extended period of time, which I don't think she got a lot of before. 

Awww.  You shouldn't have let that deter you.  Not everyone has to tumble on all of these teams.  It depends on the level. My daughter couldn't tumble at all, but she was on a very competitive team that won a lot of competitions.  

I binged watch this weekend, too. Really enjoyed it and would enjoy a season 2 (as long as they try to keep it real and it doesn't start to feel like fake reality shows). Add me to the Jerry fan club. Hoping for the best for Lexi and others.

2 hours ago, lasu said:

I think we have lost Season Two to Corona, if they ever even filmed.  Unless they want to try again with new characters.

I don’t think that’s necessarily true. The semester began in January and Varsity announced they were cancelling nationals on March 15, so they had a good two months of filming. It’s  also possible that they filmed some of football season to show what the team does in the fall, auditions for the team, home visits over the summer, etc.

As a viewer, I’m not here just to see if they win at nationals in the final episode. I watch for the journey that they go on over the season, both as a team and as individuals. I would watch S2 even if it’s a shortened season due to nationals being cancelled. We know how this competition season ends, but in a way that makes the audience able to relate to the team even more because we all have experienced how disappointing it was to have important things cancelled due to coronavirus. If anything, I’m sure that Netflix will milk the team’s tears and devastation over not being able to compete. All those kids who came back for a third year must have been crushed knowing that this was their last time with the team and not getting to go to nationals.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, lasu said:

Yeah I figured this as well. It's a damn shame. I do wonder if they had already begun filming. If so, I still think they could have worked with the footage they had, and perhaps had the team go full out in their own gym, all decked out, as a kind of "what could have  been" performance.

I sure do feel like Varsity took its sweet time canceling the tournament. I was keeping a close eye on it because of this show, and perhaps I'm wrong about the timing, but they dragged their feet longer even than MLB.

Perhaps it's for the best. I can't imagine the pressure the team would have been under to repeat their victory with the entire world watching this time.

1 hour ago, EarlGreyTea said:

Yeah I figured this as well. It's a damn shame. I do wonder if they had already begun filming. If so, I still think they could have worked with the footage they had, and perhaps had the team go full out in their own gym, all decked out, as a kind of "what could have  been" performance.

Honestly, I couldn't find anything that actually confirmed they were even filming, and they definitely should have been if there was going to be a season two in the first place.  If they do have footage, I hope they'll put something together and give it to us.  I know everyone is all about Tiger King right now (and I get it!  I saw with my mouth hanging ope too!), but I think this is the show everyone should be watching.   It's heartwarming and uplifting, and all the "characters" are, well, cheer-worthy.  

• Love 1

They definitely began filming at the beginning of spring semester during S1 (we saw Gabi moving into her new place) so I just assumed they would do that for S2, especially now that we are familiar with so many people on the team. They could have talked to students like Jerry who left and came back to compete at nationals one more time. They could have interviewed the returning members about what they did over summer and fall semester. They could have shown the team reuniting at the beginning of spring semester before practice began.

16 hours ago, EarlGreyTea said:

I sure do feel like Varsity took its sweet time canceling the tournament. I was keeping a close eye on it because of this show, and perhaps I'm wrong about the timing, but they dragged their feet longer even than MLB.

Varsity cancelled nationals when it was less than a month away (the official announcement was on March 15) so the team had been practicing for two months at that point (classes for spring semester began on January 13). The camera crew should have been there filming all semester! The NBA, MLB, and NHL cancelled the week before (and really, they only cancelled because that NBA player tested positive - I'm sure if not for that, these sports would have held out longer).

On 4/15/2020 at 2:25 PM, methodwriter85 said:

If they do manage a season 2, maybe it could be with the rival team?

Or a 4 year school. It was hinted at that the 4 year school programs are a little different but not how. I’d be curious to see how it works at a bigger school like Louisville 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

I just finished binge watching this.  I have an odd question. The cheer teams that aren't affiliated with a school, who do they cheer for ?

They train at private cheer clubs (which usually have separate teams for many different age groups all the way down to tiny little kids). I can't think of the exact equivalent that exists in another sport, but you can think of it as similar to how you can play in an adult soccer league that isn't affiliated with a school (but the cheer teams are way more competitive than your run of the mill adult soccer league).

• Love 2
14 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

I just finished binge watching this.  I have an odd question. The cheer teams that aren't affiliated with a school, who do they cheer for ?

My daughter cheered for a couple different private gyms. They’re called All-Stars and the age range is super confusing. My daughter was on a “senior” team but had girls as young as 10 and she was 18.  They do that because the little girls are easier to throw up in the air lol. Unlike a school, parents pay thousands of dollars every year for the privilege to participate. 😉 It’s very travel heavy, since they’re not affiliated with a school. We are from Massachusetts and my daughter’s last year of cheer we went to competitions in Atlantic City, New York City, all over New England, Disney World and Las Vegas. We’ve also been to Myrtle Beach (a few times), Nashville and Philadelphia. The only big comp we never attended was in Texas. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I’ve watched this documentary several times now. It’s so well made, and rewards rewatching. It says a lot that it got me so thoroughly hooked when I knew nothing about this topic. They really scored with the group they were following, but also made such a well constructed, well edited, and thoughtful series. Rewatching it, you also see a lot of things they leave unsaid, but which still come across so powerfully. 

It’s such a shame that they lost a year to the pandemic.