Type keyword(s) to search

I'm halfway through and I'm gonna have to bail on this show. 

I know Lincoln Rhyme is supposed to be a genius know-it-all crime solver, but Russell Hornsby's stiff delivery of his lines just turns me off.  I've seen him in other shows and I know he's a better actor than that.  

Also, I don't understand why he's so fascinated with the female cop who was too stupid to get out of the way of a speeding train and was damn lucky the train stopped in time.  That wasn't bravery; it was just stupidity.  And while the bone collector is creepy, I'm not impressed with him either.  

Michael Imperioli deserves to be in a better show than this. 

• Love 5

Amelia seems a lot dumber this week. She not only had a hard time understanding the connection between someone who makes a living posting selfies and narcissism, but she was looking right at a painting of Narcissus admiring himself in a pond, with a big X over his face, and still needed Lincoln to explain how that tied into the murder.

Not as good as last week's ep.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

This is borderline for me. The only reason I'm watching is because Blacklist was moved aside for this.

Denzel vs Hornsby;  Denzel wins by a landslide.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 4

Not as good as the pilot episode. Rhyme is coming over as too harsh, sure he knows a lot but Denzel captured more warmth and humanity even when he was being an asshole to his staff. I'm not getting any couple vibes for he and Amelia either. 

Amelia when you open a box and handle the bone inside, ok but to then whack your prints all over the note too? Numpty.

• Love 5

This episode was not on the same level as the pilot. So an artist whose paintings are tied to the crimes can't remember who bought them or the gallery he sold them to?  And you stop questioning him then?  Nope. 

This one just seemed a lot more stiff and stupid than the initial episode, and Russell Hornsby's Lincoln was so much more stiff.  Last week he was pretty joyous with his son when playing video games.  There was NONE of that Lincoln this episode. Perhaps the episode is just cut together poorly.

I'll give it another episode, mostly because there is not much else competing against it on Friday nights, but man, they've got to pick up the pace and make it less stupid.

• Love 4

From bad to worse.

Rhyme is a butthole, Sachs is a dumbass, most of the team are cardboard cut-outs.

The episode didn't progress to a conclusion.  They introduced a number of suspects and then... Voila! It's the painter!

TBC is supposed to be scary, I guess, but instead he's just coming across as clownishly devoted to proving how smart he is.

I guess I'll watch another, but this is careering rapidly towards being so un-entertaining I just can't be bothered to downcoughload it.

• Love 4

What does the BC's wife think he's doing in his dungeon? She doesn't seem the least but curious. Also where are they getting their funds? They have a wine cellar, a dungeon with all kinds of tools.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, rhys said:

What does the BC's wife think he's doing in his dungeon? She doesn't seem the least but curious. Also where are they getting their funds? They have a wine cellar, a dungeon with all kinds of tools.

He is a Forensic Science Technician in the state of Colorado. His lab is in his house, so his wife thinks he is chopping up dead bodies all day in his dungeon/laboratory. The only problem is he is also chopping up a few live ones as well.

They're not even trying. Hornsby is execrable. I'm done.

Dude doesn't even have a plausible wheelchair with a headrest and a strap to keep him from toppling over. It's like no one in the entire production did ANY research AT ALL on quads.

Plus, Rhyme is an abusive asshole.

And the obsession with toe wiggling is stupid.

I like that Amelia is a badass, but her putting up with Rhyme's BS is too much. She calls hi on treating her badly, she says he treats everyone that way, and she just gives in? She threatens to quit and he says he needs her, and she just gives in? Fuck this.

• Love 1
On 1/20/2020 at 4:24 AM, possibilities said:

And the obsession with toe wiggling is stupid.

Says someone who has never been even temporarily paralyzed.  I have, and a toe wiggle is the most amazing thing ever.

• Love 1

You don't know me!

But it's true: I've never been paralyzed. I am, however, disabled, and have been for decades. I've spent a lot of time in the cross-disability community, and while I acknowledge that toe wiggling is a huge deal in real life, on TV I have never seen it be anything but a prelude to total representation erasure, and that's what pisses me off. To me, it's a bait and switch and is exploitative.

If it's satisfying to you or others with paralysis, go ahead and enjoy it, but I make no apology for wanting to see something more faithful to the original character, which was a rare case of showing a disabled character without forcing the story into a fantasy of becoming less disabled. Lincoln in the movie stayed disabled and became happier NOT because of a change in his medical situation, but because of a change in his LIFE. I loved that, because to me it shows a story where his life has value to him and others, as he is, and that the cure or not cure is not the only thing to talk about-- for me, I've seen more than enough of that story, and not enough of stories that portray disabled people without inserting a medical change.

The movie this show is based on was only of any interest to me because of the disability representation. The TV show has made it clear that they do not care about this, not only in the lazy and ridiculous way they have already portrayed Lincoln, but also by suggesting that he might suddenly regain function-- I just don't have any use for what they've done so far, and I have stopped watching the show because I find it insulting and counter-productive to my agenda of empowerment for our community through the lens of our lives being something more than whether we "heal" by "getting less disabled." I think that we've had more than enough of that story, but clearly if you feel otherwise, then this show as it is has value for some portion of the population, just not for me.

I've stopped watching, but if what they are doing is something you find gratifying, I'm happy for you to have that. But I am not coming back because I think it's an insult that we can't have a paralyzed character who's just plain paralyzed and there's no drama about whether or not it will change. Most disabled people settle into lives that are not about miraculous unexpected cures, and I want to see more of us being whole people living interesting lives without having it be all about the miracle.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 1