Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: It Isn't Romantic

• Start Topic

The women from the widows' support group offer Wade unexpected advice for getting out of his dating rut. While Michelle is recovering from gallbladder surgery, Delia relentlessly pushes her to follow strict medical advice.

Original air date: 1/16/20

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

@ElectricBoogaloo Hey dear! You mistyped the title...it's It Isn't Romantic, not Isn't It Romantic. And we have an episode description for it. It looks like a really good one. I love that grief support group.

The women from the Widow’s Support Group offer Wade unexpected advice for getting out of his dating rut. Also, while Michelle is recovering from gallbladder surgery, Delia relentlessly pushes her to follow strict medical advice.

• Love 1

Where do these widows live? Within blocks of each other? Can Wade be the only widower in Raleigh that is not an AARP member? Otherwise, that neighborhood has an unusually high mortality rate for middle aged males. Surprised that Ben & Forrest are still alive....

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I enjoyed this episode a lot.  The bit with making Michelle feel needed was predictable (I cheered when Ben finally got those little braids right), but I loved Forrest's weird interaction on the "dad bench" and his emergence as a fashion guru, as well as Wade's conversations with Noah sparking the realization that Wade should go for it, sexually.  

It's not the greatest series in the world, and Walton Goggins sometimes feels like he's trying too hard to be the anti-Boyd, but I like the gentle humor and the secondary characters are being fleshed out pretty nicely.  I'll keep watching.

• Love 10

Why are so many TV kids unable to operate a washing machine?  At least some of Michelle and Ben's kids look old enough to do their own laundry, and to wash sheets etc. when needed. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Driad said:

Why are so many TV kids unable to operate a washing machine?  At least some of Michelle and Ben's kids look old enough to do their own laundry, and to wash sheets etc. when needed. 

Well I'm well into adulthood and I still don't know how to use one, neither does my best friend. There is nothing unrealistic about that.

I am a big Betsy Brandt fan so I am happy she is a part of this. I wonder if it is for a full time gig or just a few episodes? I hope it is full time because she is great.

• Love 2

I loved Forrest's weird interaction on the "dad bench"

That was cute. Talking sports is what a lot of guys default to.

The little girl getting her hair braided was so patient. When they said the braids would have to come out so that the mom could do to feel needed, I would have been "Oh, heck no!"

I also liked the talkative son "helping" Wade. "Dig a hole with this shovel, and then fill in the hole with this shovel."

Edited by MoreCoffeePlease
  • Love 5
On 1/18/2020 at 9:03 AM, Driad said:

No kidding! I always had chores as a kid which mostly involved learning to be responsible for myself so I had to clean the upstairs bathroom that I shared with my sister, do my own laundry, iron my own clothes, etc. but my parents also gave us chores for communal stuff like washing the dishes, walking the dog, vacuuming the house, mowing the lawn, etc.

Chores like that take some of the burden off of the parents but also teach kids how to take care of themselves when they're adults. I remember my freshman year in the dorms, there were a few kids who had no clue how to use the washing machines because their moms always did their laundry for them. Those were the same kids who didn't know how to cook or put together Ikea furniture. I like being able to do stuff myself instead of having someone else do it for me. I'm also impatient so if I wanted clean sheets and I had to wait until someone came to do my laundry and make up the bed, it would probably drive me nuts.

• Love 6
On 1/21/2020 at 3:57 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

No kidding! I always had chores as a kid which mostly involved learning to be responsible for myself so I had to clean the upstairs bathroom that I shared with my sister, do my own laundry, iron my own clothes, etc. but my parents also gave us chores for communal stuff like washing the dishes, walking the dog, vacuuming the house, mowing the lawn, etc.

Chores like that take some of the burden off of the parents but also teach kids how to take care of themselves when they're adults. I remember my freshman year in the dorms, there were a few kids who had no clue how to use the washing machines because their moms always did their laundry for them. Those were the same kids who didn't know how to cook or put together Ikea furniture. I like being able to do stuff myself instead of having someone else do it for me. I'm also impatient so if I wanted clean sheets and I had to wait until someone came to do my laundry and make up the bed, it would probably drive me nuts.

Same, down to the clueless college freshmen in the dorms. We had age-appropriate chores. Lucky we girls didn't have to mow the lawn; that was my brother's job. 😉

• Love 2

Count me in as someone raised in a house where the kids had chores. One of my sisters and I did the laundry and dishes for years. We'd switch off when we got bored. My brother took out the trash, mowed the lawn, and shoveled snow. I always said it was unfair because his stuff was sporadic, whereas I did at least three loads of laundry every darn day, which included schlepping them down steep stairs to an unfinished basement, hauling them back up, folding them and placing them in their respective rooms. 

I once worked with a guy who was complaining about having to mow his lawn later that day. Wait, I said, don't you have a teenage son? Doesn't he mow the lawn? He told me he "tried" to get him to but the son wouldn't. My mind was blown; since when did kids have a choice? My father told us what to do and we did it. 

Ah, the good old days...

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

I once worked with a guy who was complaining about having to mow his lawn later that day. Wait, I said, don't you have a teenage son? Doesn't he mow the lawn? He told me he "tried" to get him to but the son wouldn't. My mind was blown; since when did kids have a choice? My father told us what to do and we did it. 

Yeah, I didn't have a choice either. Chores were not optional. My parents told me I couldn't leave the house to do stuff until my chores were done. There were definitely weekends when I was mowing the lawn as fast as I could so that I could be done in time to go see a movie! I was in middle school when yardwork got added to my list of chores and I had to do it until I left for college. My least favorite thing was clipping all the hibiscus bushes that bordered our entire front lawn because that took FOREVER.

It drives me crazy on tv and in real life when parents complain about all the household stuff they do but continue babying their kids by doing their laundry for them. In this episode, I was like Michelle, you have FOUR KIDS. There is no reason for you to spend hours every week doing their laundry plus your own laundry plus your husband's laundry plus household laundry like bathroom and kitchen towels. Take that burden off yourself by teaching your kids a lifelong skill (and I use that word lightly because dropping a pile of clothes into a machine and pressing a button doesn't require all that much skill). My parents' attitude was "I am not your maid. If you want clean clothes, you need to put them in the washing machine. If you want to wear unwrinkled clothes, you need to plug in the iron."

• Love 3
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

My parents' attitude was "I am not your maid. If you want clean clothes, you need to put them in the washing machine. If you want to wear unwrinkled clothes, you need to plug in the iron."

....if you want new clothes, get a job...and make sure you can get there by bus....

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

My parents' attitude was "I am not your maid. If you want clean clothes, you need to put them in the washing machine. If you want to wear unwrinkled clothes, you need to plug in the iron."

I saw a little house sign once that read "Mom's Bed and Breakfast.  You make both."

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 1/17/2020 at 9:17 AM, Inquisitionist said:

I enjoyed this episode a lot.  The bit with making Michelle feel needed was predictable (I cheered when Ben finally got those little braids right), but I loved Forrest's weird interaction on the "dad bench" and his emergence as a fashion guru, as well as Wade's conversations with Noah sparking the realization that Wade should go for it, sexually.  

It's not the greatest series in the world, and Walton Goggins sometimes feels like he's trying too hard to be the anti-Boyd, but I like the gentle humor and the secondary characters are being fleshed out pretty nicely.  I'll keep watching.

I like him better when he is a Boyd like character. 😍This perfect man/dad thing doesn't fit. No danger. And good grief he is so thin. Fit and darn nice but so petite. 

I've never watched this show, CBS comedies are not usually my jam.  But I am on social distancing/quarantine binge watch and am enjoying the heck out of this one.  I have actually laughed out loud!

Can I just say that Ben and Michelle's bed fills me with jealousy.  I want that bed.  Heck their whole bedroom is lovely.

Also I loved Forrest with the girls.  The entire scene was fun and he plays off well with the young actress.  Both Rod Corrdry and Walt Goggins are playing against type in this and they are great.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I've never watched this show, CBS comedies are not usually my jam.  But I am on social distancing/quarantine binge watch and am enjoying the heck out of this one.  I have actually laughed out loud!

Can I just say that Ben and Michelle's bed fills me with jealousy.  I want that bed.  Heck their whole bedroom is lovely.

Also I loved Forrest with the girls.  The entire scene was fun and he plays off well with the young actress.  Both Rod Corrdry and Walt Goggins are playing against type in this and they are great.

Yeah, this show feels like CBS accidentally ordered an ABC comedy.