Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: Justice x2

formerlyfreedom
  • Start Topic

On 1/17/2020 at 4:21 PM, LittleIggy said:

There was actually a nationally followed case recently in which a judge did hug a defendant and give her bible to her. It was the case of that cop shooting the man in his own apartment, claiming she thought it was her apartment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/10/08/dallas-judge-defends-giving-amber-guyger-bible-hug-saying-she-could-not-refuse/

I think that judge’s bible will end up w kilker’s next victim, as a calling card.

• Love 7

I'm really glad the show didn't take the easy out and make Andy unlikable just because of the will they/won't they thing David and Kristen have going on. He's not perfect but he's a very well-rounded character. Also liked that he was able to put aside his jealousy regarding Ben to prioritize his daughter. Showed great character on his part.

Speaking of David and Kristen, I really like that both characters are given their own storylines that don't hinge on the other person. So often with these types of pairings, the writers force the pairing on viewers before we even get a sense of who they are as individuals. Not here, though. I honestly wouldn't even mind if Kristen and Andy stayed together just because of how secondary the romance aspect is, though I still dig the thought of Ben and Kristen.

I'll confess that I really like all four girls and don't even mind them speaking over each other. They're very believable as regular kids who aren't written either too cutesy or precocious. 

• Love 9

I'm not into Andy simply bc he and Kristen dont seem on the same page about anything, and I'm not that interested in watching their marital troubles.

I really enjoy the eps so much more without the mother.

I like the show but it needs some changes, I hope they improve the writing for the second season.

On 1/17/2020 at 8:03 PM, MrWhyt said:

was the Rwanda genocide really so long ago that people don't know about it?

it was in Africa. 800 thousand dead Africans in 1994 is more complicated  to depict than some Nazis. I remember Al and Tipper Gore going to a refugee camp in Zaire (now DR Congo), and to commiserate with who they thought were a bunch of poor innocent victims when in fact they were all evil perpetrators. That was only months after the whole disgusting crime happened.

People have complained about Jews still bitching about the Holocaust 75 years after it ended, but then that's the point. Who remembers the genocide in Indonesia in 1965? There's the Cambodian auto-genocide of 1975-79, which some kind of remember, but the memory of it is beginning to fade outside of that country. The Congolese "World War" is forgotten outside of southern Africa. I could go on. The show is called "Evil" after all, and what is more evil than killing 800 thousand innocent people with machettes?

Kudos to th Kings for keeping the memory alive.

Edited by Notwisconsin
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Notwisconsin said:

I remember Al and Tipper Gore going to a refugee camp in Zaire (now DR Congo), and to commiserate with who they thought were a bunch of poor innocent victims when in fact they were all evil perpetrators. That was only months after the whole disgusting crime happened.

Oh, damn. Yikes. 

I would've been 9 when this happened, and I do have some vague memories of hearing about it here and there in the news. But yeah, it's not something I know a whole lot of detail about, so this episode was educational in that way, and it has me wanting to read up more on it all. That's one thing I really like about this show, that they're willing to explore all kinds of evil from the past as well as the present, and that they'll highlight certain kinds of evil deeds that may not be as well-known, but which are no less horrifying. I like how far-reaching they go in exploring these issues.

• Love 1

It continues to annoy me every time Leland does something Kristen could obviously report to the police, but never does. (I still don't get why she didn't have him arrested or at least investigated when he stole her therapy notes. If nothing else, you'd think the therapist would do it - pretty sure having your notes easily stolen out of your practice is a liability issue.)

Having a doctor insist you need to have your daugher operated on *right now* (with the implication she could drop dead at any moment), whithout even seemingly wanting to take the time to explain to you what he's doing and why, and then immediately afterwards saying whoops, everything is miraculously ok, better than ever, should definitely be a red flag telling you to get a second opinion (and possibly another doctor).

• Like 1