Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Seven-Spotted Ladybug / S01.E02: Greenbottle Blue Tarantula

• Start Topic

Nicholas' single dad has very bad cancer, and he's going to die, soon. So, Nicholas offers himself up to be the guardian for his two teenage half-sisters. They already know not to put their heads in the oven. What's the worst that can happen?

Nicholas wishes he could call an adult! After the death of their father, Nicholas, Matilda and Genevieve struggle to return to their daily - and nightly - routines. Navigating the stay-at-home parent life is harder than Nicholas thought.

Airdate: Thursday, January 16, 2020

This show was a bit weird. I can't decide if it was good weird or terrible weird.

That's kind of how I feel about it.  I liked it, but I'm worried that the 'quirkiness' might get annoying after a while.  I did like the fact that I don't think I'm familiar with anyone in the cast (from seeing them in other roles).  That's kind of refreshing.

The funeral: I felt for poor Genevieve, buying the most inappropriate dress for the funeral (and Nicholas clumsily trying to fix it).  Matilda's eulogy was nice. The 'party limo' was kind of funny. 

I think my favorite scene was when they were dancing (instead of hugging) while throwing the flower petals around (although in the back of my mind I was thinking that once those petals wilted it was going to be a pain to clean up from the floor). 

• Love 4

One thing I found weird was how Nicholas always says "gay sex" instead of "sex" when talking to his partner about having it. I mean, presumably the guy he's with knows what kind of sex is implied by the invitation.

I love that he's an entomologist, though. I have a fondness for insects and I enjoy seeing them treated with respect.

I liked the teacher;s speech when she was yelling at the tampon-throwers.

I hated that they leaned into "girls are mean for no reason but it's okay because they really are you friends even if they treat you like shit". I am 100% on Matilda's side in the "I disagree" stance. But also, I don't think it's true. I mean, clearly SOME girls are little shits. There are terrible people in all demographics. But I don't think there's a binary choice that has to be made between "mean horrible friends" and "no friends" and I think that it's a really hateful sexist stereotype that that's just how girls are.

• Love 5

I loved Josh Thomas in Please Like Me.  I like him here even better.

The Party Limo scenes were funny.

Being a gay man, I can relate to  Nickolas and Alex's early infatuation for each other.  Adam Faison reminds me of a young Antonio Banderas.

The show is quirky.  We got to thank the classic sitcom Square Pegs for some of this humor.  Also it has some resemblance to Modern Family.   

I am going to stick with it.

• Love 2

I was both eagerly anticipating this show and worried since I love Please Like Me so much, and I didn’t want to be disappointed with hopes too high for this new show. 

It was a really strong start for me. I love JT’s dark humour, and the messy reality of life.

The tampon speech was brilliant! Tellulah really irritated me, but that may have been the point. 

I’m having trouble waiting for the next episode, so I’m back to PLM to tide me over. 

• Love 4

I've never seen Josh Thomas before so I actually had to turn on closed captioning to make sure that I understood everything he was saying. 

Not sure yet how I feel about this show but I'm willing to watch a few more episodes. I really like Matilda - excellent performance from an actress actually on the spectrum. I thought that her eulogy was wonderful as is her budding friendship with the basketball player. 

• Love 2

I agree with pretty much everything that’s been said so far.  But I can’t believe nobody’s mentioned the dog! I’m totally a cat person, but I want that dog!

Edited by SoMuchTV
Typo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 1/17/2020 at 11:04 PM, jmonique said:

I lasted 20 minutes.

I liked the dad the best.

Nicholas has to be on the spectrum too, right?

I mean no offense at all by this statement, but until it was spelled out for me, I thought that the entire family might be on the spectrum. They were all just so extra. This show may be trying too hard to be quirky and awkward. I'll stick with it for a bit and see how it goes. 

TBH, I'm much more interested in the two girls than I am in the older brother.  I find them compelling, whereas he doesn't do anything for me. 

Edited by Zima
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 1/17/2020 at 7:27 AM, Evie said:

I loved it, partly because it reminded me of "Please Like Me" but also because I loved Matilda and Genevieve. 

So I just started to look at the Primetimer book (One of my posts is in it... currently trying to find it) and I saw your post in it!

Edited by bros402