Type keyword(s) to search

Alert, Alert!: Disturbing TV Moments

• Start Topic

On 7/17/2014 at 10:10 PM, AltLivia said:

Since I just saw it for the first time, Fringe S3 episode Marionette. The macabre bit of puppetry/ballet. And when the villain of the week reanimated the girl only to realize that she didn't have any real brain function. It just made me really ill.

And sure, let's go with The X Files Home is high-ranking on the disturbing scale, but a few other episodes got me. Terrible with titles, though, so here goes. In the end of an episode you see Krycek oozing black oil from his face, just panicked as all get out. And you realize he's locked in a room at the end of a dark hall. In a silo.

S4 Paper Hearts was brilliant but disturbing. Mulder dreams of Samantha and, just as he's about to rescue her, she disappears from his arms and a sign lights up, reading "bye - bye."

Another episode, s6 I'm sure, where Mulder's brain is (as a result of alien debris or weird genetics or both) working faster than his body can contend with. Thus he's in an asylum, combative and strange. He attacks Skinner but passes him a note  scrawled on the tag from his hospital gown. Reading "help me". So on some level he understands what's happening to him, and can't stop it.  That gives me serious shivers.

You just reminded me of the Diana Fowley arc. That whole arc was disturbing.

• Love 2

ANYTHING on "The X Files". I had to stop watching it because it was giving me nightmares.

In that same vein, "I Survived". Particular the stories of people being attacked. Man's inhumane treatment of others will never ceases to horrify me.

• Love 5

To briefly go back to The Day After, I was in like fifth grade when it came out. We were required to watch it for school, and then if that wasn't scarring enough, we then had a full week of discussion and going through a work book provided as a companion to the show where we got to imagine fun things like how long it would take the radiation cloud from the nearest large city to reach our rural area (two days), what percentage of our family members would likely die, and what some of the effects of radiation poisoning were. 

I'm not terribly squeamish, but to this day I can't watch anything relating to radiation sickness. The first falling clumps of hair and I'm out. I had nightmares for years, so, thanks for that 80's adults. 

After the Red Wedding I no longer Watch Game of Thrones unspoiled. I read comments on episode threads here, then watch the episode if I think I won't be too destroyed by it. On the other hand I cheered and clapped for the Purple Wedding and when that mofo Littlefinger got his. 

Final fun fact, I met my now husband of 20 years while living on the opposite coast from my parents, and the first time they ever saw him was on an episode of Unsolved Mysteries. He was one of the experts they brought in to discuss why a given testimony of an event (a death) was virtually impossible to be true, but my Dad got a lot of mileage out of telling people, "Oh yeah, first saw my son-in-law on Unsolved Mysteries," and then letting them draw unfortunate conclusions. He thought it was hilarious. Dads. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

To briefly go back to The Day After, I was in like fifth grade when it came out. We were required to watch it for school, and then if that wasn't scarring enough, we then had a full week of discussion and going through a work book provided as a companion to the show where we got to imagine fun things like how long it would take the radiation cloud from the nearest large city to reach our rural area (two days), what percentage of our family members would likely die, and what some of the effects of radiation poisoning were. 

Wow. Way to make homework even more stressful than it already can be for kids, teachers. 

Final fun fact, I met my now husband of 20 years while living on the opposite coast from my parents, and the first time they ever saw him was on an episode of Unsolved Mysteries. He was one of the experts they brought in to discuss why a given testimony of an event (a death) was virtually impossible to be true, but my Dad got a lot of mileage out of telling people, "Oh yeah, first saw my son-in-law on Unsolved Mysteries," and then letting them draw unfortunate conclusions. He thought it was hilarious. Dads. 

OMG :D! That's amazing.

Very cool that your husband was interviewed and able to offer his expertise like that. 

• Love 7
On 1/29/2019 at 6:39 PM, Annber03 said:
On 1/29/2019 at 3:00 PM, RisenPhoenix said:

Wow. Way to make homework even more stressful than it already can be for kids, teachers. 

But you were given a more realistic idea of what happens when a nuclear disaster happens.  I don't really remember how or even when this started to change - but these days on TV the bad guys have a nuke, often a suitcase sized one that can fit in the trunk of a car, and the heroes (even CW superheroes) save the day by bringing it out to the ocean or somewhere out of town and detonating it.  And we're all supposed to be all hooray! like there was no such thing as radiation sickness.  Let alone years of aftereffects.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 6
On 1/11/2015 at 4:10 PM, Jipijapa said:

The first five minutes of Fringe.  (Melting plane passengers)  This has to be the most disgusting primetime TV moment of the decade.  I still can't watch it again, and I rewatch most of the whole show once a year.   (Distant runner-up on Fringe was the disintegrating hand in Season 4.  I laugh about "The Hand" though because right before that scene, I was thinking, "Gee, Fringe has really sort of slacked off in the good old grossout stuff--- OH JESUS! GACK!!" )

Ironically, both those scenes involve my most cringe-inducing, disturbing scenario... which is where something horrible is happening to you and you are trapped in an enclosed space and can't get out.  Along those lines, there was another scene in Season 4 that wasn't visually horrific, but was still pretty bad - the guy being slowly desiccated to death so Crazy Perfume Guy could steal his bodily fluids.

Jessica's reanimation Fringe was the scene that stuck with me. It wasn't gory, but I found it horrifying.

On 1/29/2019 at 3:00 PM, RisenPhoenix said:

I'm not terribly squeamish, but to this day I can't watch anything relating to radiation sickness. The first falling clumps of hair and I'm out. I had nightmares for years, so, thanks for that 80's adults. 

After the Red Wedding I no longer Watch Game of Thrones unspoiled. I read comments on episode threads here, then watch the episode if I think I won't be too destroyed by it. On the other hand I cheered and clapped for the Purple Wedding and when that mofo Littlefinger got his. 

I used to know someone whose ex-husband was on an episode of either Unsolved Mysteries, or that one featuring the top ten criminals in the country? With John Walsh. They were both scientists, but he was older, and an expert in something to do with crimes. :)

Mum would have been pissed if we'd had to watch The Day After. My younger sister was in a class that the headmaster decided to teach every week, "current events" when she wasn't even a teenager. Mum wondered what was up when she couldn't sleep, had nightmares when she did, and was in a bad mood a lot more of the time. That's when she found out, and called him, demanding to talk to him/that he stop the class. When she got in there, he just said that she didn't need to say anything, that he'd had calls from other parents, too, and that the class was cancelled. 

I have trouble watching anything with serial killers now. Hannibal was different, I don't know why. But I haven't watched the Ted Bundy tapes, or anything like that. All of these documentaries and podcasts that people go nuts for, and if I try them out, I don't last long. I used to watch all kinds of movies about serial killers as a teenager, and in my early twenties. Those movies of the week when I was fourteen or so, about bundy and that clown. At some point, I started to have nightmares, after reading a book. I bought I'll Be Gone In The Dark, last year, but haven't read it. 

• Love 5

The UK equivalent of The Day After was a two part mini series called Threads. I remember I only saw the first part as my parents (wisely) decided it wouldn’t be a good idea to let me watch the second episode. 

One thing I did find somewhat ‘reassuring’ was that the bomb didn’t get dropped out of nowhere, in the first episode there was a few weeks or even months of a preamble before things went bad and I remember thinking that at least there’d be some warning if it happened in real life. 

• Love 1

You had a ton of disturbing moments. But this was the one that chilled me to the bone, because up until this moment I really disliked Beck -- not that I ever thought she deserved to be stalked

and murdered

but she pretty much embodied the "so pretty and perfect yet always a victim" shallow female character most of us dislike. And this was a creepy reminder of how twisted the fairy tales we're raised on are for girls and how the "you were asking for it" mindset is toxic for both men AND women:

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

And this was a creepy reminder of how twisted the fairy tales we're raised on are for girls and how the "you were asking for it" mindset is toxic for both men AND women:

This is beautiful. I didn't want to watch the show since I'm already paranoid enough about people and I do worry about myself missing the warning signs. Or even if I do, that it doesn't matter. But I love the repeated "didn't you ask for it?"

• Love 3

Many horrible and shocking things happened on Breaking Bad, but for me the worst episode was Peekaboo.  The meth head couple looked really terrible but the grossest part was when the "skank" pushed the ATM machine over and it fell on Spoog and you could hear his skull crack.  Oh, and before that when they pulled their drugs out of their assholes.

• Love 4
(edited)

Bumping it up with the numerous disturbing images surrounding the murder of George Floyd and the aftermath, from the videos of the actual crime itself, which was Floyd being subdued by four cops for allegedly passing a fake $20 bill, with the ringleader having his knee on his throat so hard that it killed Floyd while his partners did nothing to stop him, despite pleas from witnesses, who were horrified, to say the least.

Then there's the global response, which was also disturbing, on several levels, whether it's looters who trash and burn businesses and rob them, making a mockery of the legit protesters and their message in the process, civilians who run over protesters or the cops who not only arrested journalists on-camera, they fired tear gas and rubber bullets at reporters, some cops even ran over some protesters, making cops look even worse than ever.

Rest In Power to George Flood, Armaud Arbery, Breanna Taylor and anyone who's been murdered because of police brutality in general and because of their color in particular. To their killers, ROT! IN! HELL!-if Hell will have you, that is. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 2

I don't ever remember having nightmares after watching something scary, but after watching the final scene of Season 1, episode 9 of The Alienist, I had at least two of them last night.  Great show, but damn, that was a bit too realistic for me. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I don't ever remember having nightmares after watching something scary, but after watching the final scene of Season 1, episode 9 of The Alienist, I had at least two of them last night.  Great show, but damn, that was a bit too realistic for me. 

Oh God, me too. I'm not easily disturbed, but there were several times in season 1 of The Alienist that I contemplated not watching, but that scene you're talking about was definitely the worst. Weirdly enough, though season 2 was pretty disturbing, it never bothered me in the same visceral way that season 1 did. I'm not sure I've ever watched a TV show that disturbed me that much. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 2

Lovecraft Country was a cornucopia of disturbing moments:

- Leti, Tic and Uncle George racing to get out of a Sundown Town town before sundown.  Good, tense and disturbing five minutes of tv.

- The Kumiho episode. FYI, A Kumiho is a 9-tailed fox spirit that possesses a woman so she can seduce men. I mean, seeing those nine tails erupt out of every orifice on Ji-Ah's body while having sex and seeing them -- attack her lover will never not be disturbing.

- Ruby's painful, bloody metamorphosis every time she turned back into herself after being a white woman. Just the scenes of the painful rictus of her face as her skin erupted and sloughed off.  Ick.

- The ghosts of the people the evil dr. experimented on in that basement.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

That's why I couldn't read the book.  I got maybe 1/3 into it and had to stop because it was just too disturbing.  I did watch the show though.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Haleth said:

That's why I couldn't read the book.  I got maybe 1/3 into it and had to stop because it was just too disturbing.  I did watch the show though.

I thought about reading the books, but the show broke me from even trying. 

I know this one is going to sound silly but the episode of Saved by the Bell where an oil company drills at the school and a leak spills into the nearby pond killing all the animals that the class had just released for their science project, including Becky, the duck that Zack adopted. The scene where Zack holds the poor little duck’s body — I hope to God that was just a puppet and not a real dead duck—has always stayed with me.

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

I know this one is going to sound silly but the episode of Saved by the Bell where an oil company drills at the school and a leak spills into the nearby pond killing all the animals that the class had just released for their science project, including Becky, the duck that Zack adopted. The scene where Zack holds the poor little duck’s body — I hope to God that was just a puppet and not a real dead duck—has always stayed with me.

When I was a kid it made me cry.   

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

That's one of the few times I can think of re being genuinely sorry for Zach.

This puts in mind an episode of The Waltons in which, with the US gearing for WWII, the nearby Army base randomly decides to do military drills around the mountain. Grandpa is all keen on the idea-recalling all the fun parades,celebrations,etc.  of the Great War(WWI) . But then they do a munitions test and everyone gets disturbed by the very loud bangs with Grandpa winding up being most appalled and disheartened when he discovers that the shells falling into Druscilla's Pond wound up killing EVERY single fish that had lived there. Grandpa then soberly recalls that with innocents (in this case the fish he had hoped to catch some of )  inevitably being victimized, war is nothing to celebrate! 

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

That's one of the few times I can think of re being genuinely sorry for Zach.

Yeah, that was definitely one of his better episodes. He takes in Becky when he accidentally hits her with a baseball during practice, and grows to love her because he never had a pet before. So it’s all the more heartbreaking when she gets killed and he feels like it was his fault for initially supporting the oil drilling at the school. What really got me was Screech telling him, “She’s where the oil can’t hurt her anymore.”

😭😭😭

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1
On 12/21/2020 at 12:48 AM, Zella said:

Oh God, me too. I'm not easily disturbed, but there were several times in season 1 of The Alienist that I contemplated not watching, but that scene you're talking about was definitely the worst. Weirdly enough, though season 2 was pretty disturbing, it never bothered me in the same visceral way that season 1 did. I'm not sure I've ever watched a TV show that disturbed me that much. 

I loved season 1 of The Alienist (still haven't gotten round to season 2) but I turned my head during plenty of scenes. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, bijoux said:

I loved season 1 of The Alienist (still haven't gotten round to season 2) but I turned my head during plenty of scenes. 

I enjoyed it more than I expected to. Would watch a season 3. But yeah definitely one that I was looking away from. Though one of the things that most freaked me out about that one scene being discussed above was the sounds. 😣

Edited by Zella
  • Love 1
On 1/10/2021 at 12:57 PM, bijoux said:

I could not get through the book because it was so disturbing.

I see a lot of votes for the X Files episode Home. And I totally agree!

What makes it especially notable is that it aired on broadcast TV in the nineties. Baby buried alive, deformed humans, amputations. a beheading and incest might be shocking during a season of an edgy premium cable show now, but Fox did all of that in an hour decades earlier.

• Love 9

The season 5 finale of Criminal Minds.  There are very few things that bother me enough to need some sort of mind cleanser after watching it (like watching a fun show immediately afterward), but that one did it for me.  A really creepy bad guy who committed some very gruesome murders, occasionally repeatedly raping the female victim, and always targeting houses with more than one person so that he could leave one alive (but beaten) after having witnessed everything he did to the other one.

Sometimes I wonder about people who write these things (although, I'm sure that 99% of them are very nice and completely normal). 

Edited by Shannon L.

That's the very first episode of that show that I ever saw, and I agree, it's incredibly creepy and horrifying indeed. Which is saying something, considering how dark a lot of that show's cases tended to get. 

2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Sometimes I wonder about people who write these things (although, I'm sure that 99% of them are very nice and completely normal). 

In the case of this show's writers, there's also the fact that a lot of the cases they have the team investigate on the show are inspired, on some level, by real life criminals and crimes. So yeah, they're fine, it's the subject matter they have to work with that's disturbing :p. 

But indeed, it is interesting how the darkest and creepiest stories can come from the nicest, sweetest people. And vice versa. Just something about being able to tap into a whole other side of oneself like that, it's fascinating. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 2/1/2019 at 3:44 AM, ratgirlagogo said:

But you were given a more realistic idea of what happens when a nuclear disaster happens.  I don't really remember how or even when this started to change - but these days on TV the bad guys have a nuke, often a suitcase sized one that can fit in the trunk of a car, and the heroes (even CW superheroes) save the day by bringing it out to the ocean or somewhere out of town and detonating it.  And we're all supposed to be all hooray! like there was no such thing as radiation sickness.  Let alone years of aftereffects.

I agree that the latest trend is much scarier.  It's like don't worry guys we can easily survive a nuclear bomb.  What after effects?

That's very scary.  And completely unrealistic.

"The Day After" actually moved Reagan to negotiate peace with the Soviet Union re nukes.

• Love 7
On 2/8/2021 at 11:58 AM, Shannon L. said:

The season 5 finale of Criminal Minds.  There are very few things that bother me enough to need some sort of mind cleanser after watching it (like watching a fun show immediately afterward), but that one did it for me.  A really creepy bad guy who committed some very gruesome murders, occasionally repeatedly raping the female victim, and always targeting houses with more than one person so that he could leave one alive (but beaten) after having witnessed everything he did to the other one.

Not to mention Eric Close's character getting killed at the end (he's one of my celebrity crushes).

• Love 2
On 2/8/2021 at 10:58 AM, Shannon L. said:

Through season 5, at least (maybe more), all the cases were based on real cases and crimes.  Some of the most heinous were actually tamed down  to seem less fantastical/more realistic and/or to not be as gruesome as the real ones.  Now think about that.  How gruesome were many of these?  Eek.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

Criminal Minds again, but this time it's emotionally disturbing.  Agent Rossi had been chasing a serial killer for two decades when they finally caught him.  The killer had dozens of victims, many of whom where never found.  He made a deal with Rossi, who wanted to find them to give their families closure:  Take the death penalty off the table and I'll give you one name each year, on a day of my choice.  Rossi agrees.  At the end of the episode where we learn the story, we see Rossi go into the room with the killer who hands him a piece of paper with a name on it.  When Rossi gets to his car, he opens it and we see the the woman's name with "Happy Birthday, Agent Rossi!".  Ouch. 

I know I've mentioned Criminal Minds here and on another thread more than once, but I am really enjoying the show.  It's just knows how to get to you. 

• Love 3

Oooh, yeah, that episode is very haunting. Poor Rossi. 

You could make an entire post of moments from that show alone for this thread. It's a very unsettling show, indeed. I'm glad you're enjoying it, though :). 

• Love 2
On 2/18/2021 at 1:38 PM, Luckylyn said:

I can never forget the alien birth on V.

I always felt bad for poor alien baby. Mom hated him (or her?) and then he/she died. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Oooh, yeah, that episode is very haunting. Poor Rossi. 

You could make an entire post of moments from that show alone for this thread. It's a very unsettling show, indeed. I'm glad you're enjoying it, though :). 

I’m not sure if it’s disturbing necessarily, other than the fact it makes me want to bang my head. The “profile” in this show never, ever does what it’s supposed to do, which is to help local law enforcement find the killer. In fact, there is generally absolutely no reason for the “team” to “deliver the profile” to the local officers. You could cut that scene from each episode, have the team talk it over together and you get the exact same result. 

What did truly disturb me about the show is the way it fetishized serial killers. 

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I’m not sure if it’s disturbing necessarily, other than the fact it makes me want to bang my head. The “profile” in this show never, ever does what it’s supposed to do, which is to help local law enforcement find the killer. In fact, there is generally absolutely no reason for the “team” to “deliver the profile” to the local officers. You could cut that scene from each episode, have the team talk it over together and you get the exact same result. 

What did truly disturb me about the show is the way it fetishized serial killers. 

I love crime stuff, and I never could get into Criminal Minds for the same reason. It was so over-the-top and inaccurate. 

• Love 4

The last few minutes of Episode 4 of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, when a superpowered John Walker used Captain America's shield to commit cold-blooded murder of an unarmed man in public, in front of numerous witnesses with camera phones on foreign soil.

That Walker's crime could cause an international incident is bad enough, but to use the shield to do it, desecrating every good thing that it stood for, is almost as horrific as the murder itself. 

Seeing Cap's shield covered in blood, its legacy ruined, if not destroyed altogether, was disgusting. If that doesn't inspire Sam to fulfill his destiny and become the new Cap, then nothing will.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, DollEyes said:

The last few minutes of Episode 4 of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, when a superpowered John Walker used Captain America's shield to commit cold-blooded murder of an unarmed man in public, in front of numerous witnesses with camera phones on foreign soil.

That Walker's crime could cause an international incident is bad enough, but to use the shield to do it, desecrating every good thing that it stood for, is almost as horrific as the murder itself. 

Seeing Cap's shield covered in blood, its legacy ruined, if not destroyed altogether, was disgusting. If that doesn't inspire Sam to fulfill his destiny and become the new Cap, then nothing will.

If he had killed Karli instead of her friend/accomplice it would have been at least been more understandable since she was the one that killed Lemar, but it would still have been horrific.

• Love 2

I could not watch 13 Reasons Why after the season 2 finale and the rape that was shown there. Not that the two previous rapes were any easier, but this one was more unexpected and terribly brutal. The show was good, but I just couln't bring myself to watch anymore.

With Hannibal, I stopped after first two episodes of season 2. Not because of any specific moment, but I made the mistake of rewatching whole first season right before the second season and that was all I could take at the time. I plan to watch the rest, I'm just still waiting for the right time. It's been a few years now...

• Love 3

Dean getting ripped to shreds at the end of S3 of Supernatural .  Even tho the audience knew it was (probably) coming, the visuals of his torso being torn, and blood spurting, was horrifying.  Probably the worst death of all their many deaths.

There are many disturbing moments in SPN, but that one sticks out as one of the most graphic, and saddest.

Chucky: Tiffany amputating Nica’s arms and legs. Poor Nica has already been enough shit to last a lifetime; she’s already a prisoner in her own body, thanks to Chucky splitting his soul into her body. Now she’s basically Tiffany’s human doll.

2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Chucky: Tiffany amputating Nica’s arms and legs. Poor Nica has already been enough shit to last a lifetime; she’s already a prisoner in her own body, thanks to Chucky splitting his soul into her body. Now she’s basically Tiffany’s human doll.

And the benefit of sticking with this show is what again?!

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 1

My previous litmus test for most disturbing TV moment used to be The Alienist season 1 for the dismemberment scene in the bathroom. The sound effect was just . . . ugh. Not sure why but the sound stuff somehow bothers me more than the visuals a lot of times.

But last month I finally got around to watching The Americans, which was fantastic, but I think their sound crew had some of the best but also creepiest sound effects I've ever heard for violent scenes, and it was like they tried to one-up themselves every season. Between the suitcase scene, the axe scene, and the person oozing to death and probably a couple of other scenes I've blocked from my mind's ear, I learned never to eat while watching. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 3

Episode three or four of Midnight Mass. I can't remember which one, but there is one scene that was really gross, and I had to take off my headphones. It's supposed to be horrific, and I feel sick just thinking about it.