Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E02: Here Comes The Stranger

• Start Topic

On 1/13/2020 at 6:37 PM, DrewPaul2010 said:

It is something to consider and he'll have to be honest whether he accepts that condition unconditionally. At least its a real condition.

Some thoughts on the diabetes diagnosis (as a medical person):

I was told somewhere along the line that often, people who have a major illness or diagnosis in childhood can stop in their development at that point. Katie said she has had diabetes for ten years; this would make her diagnosis at around age 15. She acts 15.  When a family is faced with a child with an illness, they rally around, all focus is on that child, and that is a point at which life changes dramatically for everyone.  Katie acts like a teenager in a lot of ways.  I'm wondering if that's her situation. Dad refers to her as "my baby," he seems very protective and concerned (which, I admit, would be a lot of dads' attitudes in this situation). Brother acts very protective.

Also, while diabetes can lead to serious health issues, it can be managed with close surveillance and discipline in most cases. I think that while Derek has a right to know about it asap, it's not something to present at a wedding reception over the microphone. He will need to know, and he will need to be taught what to look for to know if she is in trouble/needs insulin/has low blood sugar, but that can wait for a private moment. 

Presenting one's chronic illness is important. In this case, I think it's less concerning than someone who has or had something that could radically change their life plans (recurrence of cancer, history of needing a complete hysterectomy, a genetic disorder like sickle cell that could be passed on to children). I am puzzled about Katie's rush to have children; as far as I know conception isn't an issue with diabetics. Pregnancy does require more diligent monitoring of diabetes, however.

In other thoughts- they REALLY need new script writers on this show.  Let's review some of the well-worn phrases that at this point are making my ears bleed:

"LEGALLY BINDING marriage"

"COMPLETE STRANGER" (or "shtranger", as many of these people say)

"the experiment"

"I chose to get married at first sight because..."

"leap of faith"

"love me unconditionally"

and a new one that I'm already sick of...

"white picket fence"

And it seems really lame that all of the guys go to the same tuxedo shop and are paraded out in the SAME blue tux. That's just lazy and so boring for the viewer. By groom #3 I was shouting at the TV: "BLUE TUX!" before the big dressing-room curtain reveal.  The dresses were all rather ill-fitting; at least the shop (which got some free publicity) could have done some quick nip/tuck to make them less baggy.

• Love 4

I am puzzled about Katie's rush to have children; as far as I know conception isn't an issue with diabetics. Pregnancy does require more diligent monitoring of diabetes, however.

I don't think Katie said she was concerned about difficulties conceiving. She did say that diabetes can present complications in pregnancy, as can age, so she thought it would be better to have children when she was younger, to minimize potential complications.

• Useful 1