Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
ElectricBoogaloo

Zoey's Extraordinary Locations

In the pilot, Zoey is seen walking on Green Street in North Beach. You can see the signs for Gino & Carlo, Sotto Mare, Columbus Cafe, the Buon Gusto Gallery, and Caffe Sport in the background while she's talking on the phone with her mom about the earthquake.

When she goes around the corner on Columbus, you can see Barbara Pinseria at the beginning of Help before she gets on the cable car. When they're dancing in the street, you can see the Transamerica Pyramid.

The club where Mo was DJing 70s night was called the Make Out Place on the show but it's actually called the Make Out Room.

Zoey and Simon walk past Cupid's Span at the Embarcadero after getting cheesequakes (which are pretty delicious) at the Ferry Building (both seen later when Zoey meets Jessica). When they stop to talk, you can see the Bay Bridge behind them.

On 1/8/2020 at 5:16 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

In the pilot, Zoey is seen walking on Green Street in North Beach. You can see the signs for Gino & Carlo, Sotto Mare, Columbus Cafe, the Buon Gusto Gallery, and Caffe Sport in the background while she's talking on the phone with her mom about the earthquake.

Thank you.  I knew I recognized that BofA building in the background.  It was bugging the shit out of me as to where I remembered it being. 

I guess we're supposed to assume that Zoey works in the Financial District or SOMA based on how many shots of the Embarcadero/Ferry Building there are during and around her work hours. 

Question for current residents/frequenters of the City, that is seating/faux grass space where "Help" started real?  I haven't spent time in North Beach in ages and I'm just curious how much the aesthetics of the area have changed.  

Edited by RachelKM
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, RachelKM said:

Question for current residents/frequenters of the City, that is seating/faux grass space where "Help" started real?  I haven't spent time in North Beach in ages and I'm just curious how much the aesthetics of the area have changed.  

There is a parklet on Columbus where they filmed the beginning of the Help scene, but it's very small and in front of Caffe Greco. Most of the parklets in the Bay Area were designed to only take up the area of a few parking spaces. This is from Google Maps and was taken in June 2019.

142242597_caffegreco.thumb.jpg.470c906983cbd1c84b9f5a104cee93f3.jpg

The parklet seen on the show starts at the corner of Columbus and Green/Stockton (you can see the Barbara sign on the right) and goes past Caffe Greco (it looks like the parklet runs along the entire block on the show). It also takes up an entire lane of traffic. I haven't been to North Beach since around the time that Google Maps picture was taken so it's possible that they expanded the parklet since then and I just haven't seen it, but I think it's more likely that they just did it for the show so that the dancers had more room.

barbara.thumb.jpg.6dba95f25d6d5b46a9f729bbd0e52027.jpg

• Like 1