Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Say Something

(edited)

Why isn't there an adult supervising the team, overseeing these decisions?

When I was in high school there was no team or club that got to decide on it's own to have auditions, accept members, kick out members, etc, because obviously it's setting up high school kids to be unfair to each other. At my school and I suspect at most real life schools, there is a coach or teacher who decides those things. Team captain doesn't usually mean that you run everything. Except on TV where it seems to be the norm so they can have plots like this, like Bring It On, etc. Whenever I see it on tv it bugs me because it's so implausible that any teachers would think it's a good idea to let students kick each other off of teams over their own petty stuff like behavior at parties outside of school. The team captain might run drills but there should be a teacher or coach making overall decisions.

Callie's "Its a violation of my parole" was the best excuse I've ever heard.

Was that true or was it an excuse? Also, Callie and Brandon never had sex, right? Has she had sex at all since she was raped at what, 14? And does Wyatt know about that? I could totally see why she wouldn't want to have sex at all but also would feel bad telling Wyatt that.

The way Stef jumped in explaining that Callie's foster father was unfit, Robert has got to be wondering what happened there. It would make me wonder about all sorts of horrible things.

Edited by LeGrandElephant

I think the couple's relief that Timothy has signed the donor contract, Lena saying she still has this baby to look forward to, and Mariana's excitement over getting a baby sister/ girls soon outnumbering the boys 'officially' in the home (at this moment Callie is not legally an Adams-Foster, and Robert signing those papers seems up in the air) is a set up for Lena having a miscarriage. 

Seems like Brandon and Callie could be a solid couple, once they've both matured a bit and dealt with their baggage. Brandon's obsession with the Braille "relationship" was not a good look for him, esp. at a time when that was the last thing Callie needed. At this moment Wyatt is looking desperate to me, for Callie's love, or stability in general, not sure. I don't like either guy being pushy/desperate for Callie to love him. The girl's been through so much as it is. 

Poor Jude, his birth father/their dad gives him up officially after what, 6 years of not seeing him, so the Adams-Foster fam can adopt him. Then he finds out his beloved sister has a father and half-sister not far away, who want to get to know her, and he is left out. From his perspective, this man Robert has a legal claim to Callie which can prevent Callie from becoming an official member of his new family, and this girl Sophia has as much sibling claim to Callie as he does. His worst fear is being separated from Callie. For all he knows, Robert could immediately fall in love w/his long-lost daughter and see a bond quickly form between Callie and Sophia, then decide to take Stef and Lena to court for full-custody. Jude is aware that the Quinn Family is financially well off, so fear that the Quinns could take Callie away from him is not irrational. I think her "my dad" and "my half-sister" wording in their conversation pre-Quinn caused him some emotional trauma.

• Love 1
(edited)
At this moment Wyatt is looking desperate to me, for Callie's love, or stability in general, not sure.

My guess is it's stability seeing as the writers can't even provide a concrete explanation of his living situation and we're supposed to basically accept that his mother let him leave and come back to a state where he's pretty much homeless. Frankly being with Callie should be the least of Wyatt's concerns - how about finding a proper home. And no writers, the Fosters' home is not an option because the last thing the show needs is a triangle involving all three living in the same damn house. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Regardless of whatever Lena and Stef or even Robert want or try and do, Callie will soon have the legal freedom to do what she feels is best, last name or home base aside.

This is an ABC Family Show. Have you seen Pretty Little Liars? Those girls have stayed 17 for like five years now.

• Love 4

Poor Jude, his birth father/their dad gives him up officially after what, 6 years of not seeing him, so the Adams-Foster fam can adopt him. Then he finds out his beloved sister has a father and half-sister not far away, who want to get to know her, and he is left out. From his perspective, this man Robert has a legal claim to Callie which can prevent Callie from becoming an official member of his new family, and this girl Sophia has as much sibling claim to Callie as he does. His worst fear is being separated from Callie. For all he knows, Robert could immediately fall in love w/his long-lost daughter and see a bond quickly form between Callie and Sophia, then decide to take Stef and Lena to court for full-custody. Jude is aware that the Quinn Family is financially well off, so fear that the Quinns could take Callie away from him is not irrational. I think her "my dad" and "my half-sister" wording in their conversation pre-Quinn caused him some emotional trauma.

Agree with all of this. Add to this that Lena is having a baby so that Jude will no longer be the baby of his new family.

• Love 1

Was that true or was it an excuse? Also, Callie and Brandon never had sex, right? Has she had sex at all since she was raped at what, 14? And does Wyatt know about that? I could totally see why she wouldn't want to have sex at all but also would feel bad telling Wyatt that.

She's a minor and a ward of the state- so yeah her parole could have some unconventional terms. But if she's otherwise in a situation that doesn't call for law enforcement and doesn't get pregnant, the odds that it could come back to haunt her parole wise are slim to none. So I don't think she was lying to Wyatt but I think she was grasping at straws a little with this excuse. Her issues were are are twofold- (1) the Liam history and (2) as we saw through the ep, she was concerned that moving forward with Wyatt was betraying Brandon. I don't think she wanted to address either of those complicated issues with Wyatt so she played the easier parole card to put the brakes on.

I don't think Wyatt knows about Liam. If he did it, that would have come up in this ep. And we know she wouldn't give him any details back in season 1 when Liam popped back up. And if he did know, it would be messed up for him to push the sex issue in any way, even the gentle way he was suggesting it. I think that will end up being a significant thing- that it's only Brandon she opened up to on this huge thing.

And no I don't think Callie & Brandon slept together. While it was left ambiguous when they were rolling around Daphne's floor in the tag of one ep, I think if they did it would have come up by now. I suppose it could be revealed in the next ep or two that they did but I'd be surprised as I think the show will want to milk the beat of her real first time more.

Also, I can understand Mariana wanting to be the only "minority" on the team as she doesn't want to be let go for another minority that's better at dancing than she is. 

I don't think that's why Mariana voted against Tia. She voted against Tia because she thought that that was what Caitlin wanted. IMO everything we've seen Mariana do re: the dance team (e.g. dying her hair blond, throwing a party, espousing vaguely racist sentiments) has been connected to her wanting desperately to fit in and be accepted by the group.
  • Love 2

I don't think that's why Mariana voted against Tia. She voted against Tia because she thought that that was what Caitlin wanted. IMO everything we've seen Mariana do re: the dance team (e.g. dying her hair blond, throwing a party, espousing vaguely racist sentiments) has been connected to her wanting desperately to fit in and be accepted by the group.

It's also why she changed her vote to Tia so quickly. She just wants to fit in and figured that the group would go back to including Caitlin's friend after they previously turned her down in favor of Mariana. She just wants to fit in but they keep changing the rules on her and so she's stumbling all over herself. I was definitely like Mariana in that way, especially in middle school and maybe early high school.

It's also why she changed her vote to Tia so quickly. She just wants to fit in and figured that the group would go back to including Caitlin's friend after they previously turned her down in favor of Mariana. She just wants to fit in but they keep changing the rules on her and so she's stumbling all over herself. I was definitely like Mariana in that way, especially in middle school and maybe early high school.

Yeah, I think she definitely voted that way because she thought that was how everyone else was voting.  I don't even know if she really likes dancing, she just seems to want to fit in and have friends, regardless of whether she likes them.

• Love 1

I'm just catching up on the last two weeks of the show (houseguests and crazy work conspiring to interrupt my tv schedule!), but it does seem a little weird to me at what storylines they've followed up on and which they've dropped.  We've seen nothing of Mike (and his alcoholism), Mike's girlfriend (the statutory rapist, whose name I cannot remember), Ana (and her disappearance) in the last couple of episodes, any of which would have been more interesting to me than Jesus's continuing conquests.  Although, I may be in the minority here, but if they dropped the Brandon/Mike's GF storyline, I'd be 100% ok with it.  

Where they're going with the baby storyline is not really that important to me - they have so many storylines going on that, as long as they drop in a mention of the infant once in a while (sleep deprivation! excessive laundry! another reason for Stef and Lena to not engage in more than PG-rated affection!), I don't think they'll really need to get an actual infant in to film that often.  

It seems like they're still hinting at problems between Lena and Stef - although, if their in-world timeline is to be believed, like, OF COURSE they haven't had time for each other; in six months, they are in the midst of increasing their family size by 100%, dealing with major health crises of both Stef and Brandon, thrown two major life-event parties with the wedding and the quincenara (totally misspelled that, I apologize), had one child run away and return to a group home/probation, had another one lose his virginity and immediately be plunged into a pregnancy scare/virginity crisis with the girlfriend whose conservative parents turn out to be illegal immigrants, suffered the loss of Stef's dad, and then all kinds of adoption/paternity drama.  Like, no wonder they're not talking to each other and having sexy dance parties, they are barely keeping their heads above water.  I think losing the baby would be WAY too melodramatic (and cruel to Sherri Saum) on top of everything else.

All of that said, I'm happy to see that they're (sort of) returning to normalish issues that families with teenagers would be able to relate to - teenage girlfriend/boyfriend drama, fitting in, struggling with identity issues, etc.  I'm hoping the storyline will slow down again a little to regain its footing - Season 1A was much preferable to Season 1B, IMO, and it looks like they're starting to return to that, which is a welcome return to form.