Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E17: Reunion (Part 2)

• Start Topic

On 1/9/2020 at 11:22 AM, AuntiePam said:

(snip)

Brandi's Asian girl wasn't insightful, for sure, but I don't see it as degrading either.  I didn't get the impression that Brandi feels superior to Asians, or that she sees Asians as deficient in any way, so it's hard for me to see it as racist, or prejudiced.  It's a stereotype, but all stereotypes aren't racist.

I absolutely agree! I am married to a man that is half Korean. I am an old white lady. 😂 I showed him Brandi's video. He said "So?" He was not offended in the least, nor did he consider it racist. When we moved to the deep south, my children were teased about the shape of their eyes. THAT was racist, ignorant behavior! The only thing I could do was try to teach my children to ignore and rise above. They have done exactly that!

So meh...not offended by Brandi's video and am probably the only one, but whatever. Sometimes I think people just look for things to be offended by.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Sharonana said:

I absolutely agree! I am married to a man that is half Korean. I am an old white lady. 😂 I showed him Brandi's video. He said "So?" He was not offended in the least, nor did he consider it racist. When we moved to the deep south, my children were teased about the shape of their eyes. THAT was racist, ignorant behavior! The only thing I could do was try to teach my children to ignore and rise above. They have done exactly that!

So meh...not offended by Brandi's video and am probably the only one, but whatever. Sometimes I think people just look for things to be offended by.

This is the behavior I explained in my post.

People who are not minorities deciding what is racist or what is not when they are white.

They come into our communities to spread their white supremacy ideologies and also create sympathizers.

If white people say it is not racist.....then it is not racist! 🙄

Just like when Brandi kept insisting the video was not racist, despite 1,000’s of people including Asians telling her it was.

Anything derogatory to do with Asian eyes.....or, an Asian accent coming from Brandi is racist. 

This is why racism won’t die.

Because, people in the USA want to protect its white supremacy culture.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
21 hours ago, Dance4Life said:

When people like LeAnne call us Mexicans in derogatory tones......it is to demean our Native Indigenous, African & other minority ancestries. 

This is their intent and why it is racist.

When Kary calls herself a Mexican......it is to show Latino pride! 😘 🇲🇽 

Leanne is a mean girl and Kary was proud of being Mexican and said so frequently - that is why I think Leanne's main motivation was kicking Kary where she thought it would hurt rather than animosity toward Mexicans.  The other thing Kary was proud of was her jewelry and Leanne insulted that too.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, princelina said:

Leanne is a mean girl and Kary was proud of being Mexican and said so frequently - that is why I think Leanne's main motivation was kicking Kary where she thought it would hurt rather than animosity toward Mexicans.  The other thing Kary was proud of was her jewelry and Leanne insulted that too.

Even in the package they put together there were only five or six examples throughout the season a few of them when they were in Mexico which is less than LeeAnne brings up being a carny past and abuse in a typical episode. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, princelina said:

They were working. 

If this happened outside this ‘reality tv’ work environment......this is a solid EEOC case. 

Andy tried his best at the reunion.

This season they decided to air LeAnne’s racism.

We wait.......and, see what happens.

I will tell you.....people like Kary win their cases every day.

(ETA as a courtesy:  Since, people keep debating personal opinions and it is all good on here.........Y’all don’t be calling people Mexican or doing what Brandi did in her video at work! It is protected......)

Edited by Dance4Life
  • Love 4
On 1/13/2020 at 4:56 PM, Dance4Life said:

This is the behavior I explained in my post.

People who are not minorities deciding what is racist or what is not when they are white.

They come into our communities to spread their white supremacy ideologies and also create sympathizers.

If white people say it is not racist.....then it is not racist! 🙄

Just like when Brandi kept insisting the video was not racist, despite 1,000’s of people including Asians telling her it was.

Anything derogatory to do with Asian eyes.....or, an Asian accent coming from Brandi is racist. 

This is why racism won’t die.

Because, people in the USA want to protect its white supremacy culture.

You forgot one thing:

Ignoring the voices of many minorities until you find one who downplays  casual racism. And running with that example as the way all the other “triggered” minorities should think and feel. I guess nobody read Letter From A Birmingham Jail.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

The only person on the reunion episode who showed any knowledge on the “racist” question was LeeAnne.  This ignorance extends to Andy and his production crew, as well.

Look, people, “Mexican” is not a race.  It is, as LeeAnne pointed out several times, a nationality.  I am sure there are white people whose nationality is Mexican, just as there are Hispanic people whose nationality is “American” (i.e. citizens of the USA).

Kary has made a big point during the season that she is a powerful Mexican (not, please note, Hispanic or Latina) in apparent contrast to the Americans on the show.  That is perhaps rude, but it is clearly not racist.  For LeeAnne to make comments that Kary is a chirpy or powerful Mexican, likewise, is perhaps rude, but is not racist.

Always extremely annoying as Brandi is, her rabid and sanctimonious reaction in calling LeeAnne a racist is, in light of Brandi’s own racism against Asians, the absolute height of hypocrisy.

A note on Kam—she may hate the term “dumb blonde” applied to herself, but her question to her husband “[w]hat is the Alamo” reveals a simply appalling ignorance.  At least Kam is generally likable, despite her pretentious attitude and her bizarre unnatural 1980’s-Valley-Girl-inpired diction (but really, Kam, at least drop the ridiculous diction, I beg you!).

• Love 7
49 minutes ago, nab said:

Look, people, “Mexican” is not a race.  It is, as LeeAnne pointed out several times, a nationality.  I am sure there are white people whose nationality is Mexican, just as there are Hispanic people whose nationality is “American” (i.e. citizens of the USA).

I agree on this point. I think the women on the show were quick to stick with the term "racist" because (1) it's a buzz word and it's what's people tend to cling to/understand when someone's background is brought up and (2) the negative connotation around the word. I felt like the women really got a thrill in labeling LeeAnne as a racist, especially D'Andra and Brandi. To them, it was like a "Now, don't you see? SHE is the problem, not us". Which is true to a certain extent. The tone and aggression that LeeAnne used while talking about Kary's Mexican background indicated some serious undertones of bias and prejudice.

However, I said several pages ago and I will say it again, I do not buy that these women are as culturally aware and progressive as they want to present themselves. Kary looks just like them. I just don't believe that they afford the same grace to people of color who don't, as Brandi demonstrated in her gross video. I don't write this to stereotype these women, but given factors such as SES, where they grew up, and what we know about their political leanings, I am skeptical of this rhetoric that is being presented.

Thank you for attending my TED Talk lol. 

Edited by Legalbeagle421
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, nab said:

The only person on the reunion episode who showed any knowledge on the “racist” question was LeeAnne.  This ignorance extends to Andy and his production crew, as well.

Kary has made a big point during the season that she is a powerful Mexican (not, please note, Hispanic or Latina) in apparent contrast to the Americans on the show.  That is perhaps rude, but it is clearly not racist.  For LeeAnne to make comments that Kary is a chirpy or powerful Mexican, likewise, is perhaps rude, but is not racist.

Always extremely annoying as Brandi is, her rabid and sanctimonious reaction in calling LeeAnne a racist is, in light of Brandi’s own racism against Asians, the absolute height of hypocrisy.

A note on Kam—she may hate the term “dumb blonde” applied to herself, but her question to her husband “[w]hat is the Alamo” reveals a simply appalling ignorance.  At least Kam is generally likable, despite her pretentious attitude and her bizarre unnatural 1980’s-Valley-Girl-inpired diction (but really, Kam, at least drop the ridiculous diction, I beg you!).

LeeAnne's the same woman who called Mexican a language, said she doesn't have a problem with Mexicans because she sat in a Spanish man's lap, and admitted to her ignorance regarding all this. I give the others the benefit of the doubt that they know Mexican is a nationality. They do understand why LeeAnne's comments were so offensive better than LeeAnne does. That's more important to me. We all hear the word racist so much more often than we hear xenophobic, so when there is ugliness toward people of other countries, a lot of us think "racist" before any other word. Part of it for me is that the folks I know who have issues with Mexicans specifically ARE racist. They usually have issues with anyone who's not white. There are people who'd want to point out someone like Kary being Mexican that much more because of the fact she "looks like them." It's a way to make it clear Kary is an other, she's different, she's not an all-American girl. 

Would you say that LeeAnne's comments were xenophobic, prejudice, or bigoted? I get some people are very particular about word usage, specifically labels, but I definitely don't think what LeeAnne said this season was okay or that LeeAnne came off looking good at the reunion or throughout the season. 

I personally don't need my Housewives to be the most knowledgable, but bigotry of any kind really rubs me the wrong way. I've found LeeAnne highly entertaining since I started watching the show, and I'd like her to get another chance. I get that we all mess up. But I absolutely get why she was taken to task. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 3

Look, people, “Mexican” is not a race.  It is, as LeeAnne pointed out several times, a nationality.

Fine, then she is a bigoted xenophobic asshole instead.

Oh wait, she sucked Mexican dick, so that makes what she said ok.

There are people who'd want to point out someone like Kary being Mexican that much more because of the fact she "looks like them." It's a way to make it clear Kary is an other, she's different, she's not an all-American girl. 

Wait, you missed all the other times she told Cary 1.0 "Shut up, Danish!"?

Edited by Hiyo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Oh wait, she sucked Mexican dick, so that makes what she said ok.

Wait, you missed all the other times she told Cary 1.0 "Shut up, Danish!"?

Exactly. It's not exactly better than being a racist. 

And lol

• Love 3
On 1/13/2020 at 12:14 PM, Sharonana said:

I mean if you and your husband aren't offended by it, it must be okay.

My ex is half Japanese and I'm a middle aged white woman with a child and I'm offended by it. I think my opinion is just as relevant as yours. Also, my daughter found it offensive, and I think her opinion is just as relevant, if not more so, because the world belongs to the younger generations. 

I sometimes think some people just totally lack empathy and cannot see past their own feelings, so they belittle and denigrate others by mocking their feelings. It feels very much like a bullying thing.

Much like Brandi used a generic Asian accent and talked about asian features in such a dismissive way, as a joke. Just tone deaf and so far up her own butt, she can't see past her ass hair.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, ShawnaLanne said:

I mean if you and your husband aren't offended by it, it must be okay.

My ex is half Japanese and I'm a middle aged white woman with a child and I'm offended by it. I think my opinion is just as relevant as yours. Also, my daughter found it offensive, and I think her opinion is just as relevant, if not more so, because the world belongs to the younger generations.

I'm so glad you called this out because it is so troublesome when people do this. Just because one person of a specific race/nationality/ethnicity isn't offended does not mean they speak for everyone. The Kanye Wests of this world make my life so difficult. So bravo to you for this, ShawnaLanne!

Brandi posted an 11 minute long video. I didn't watch it (because yuck) but apparently she played the blame game and made excuses. The caption of the video originally called out Steve and Kameron and said she "forgives them" for some such nonsense, but she's since edited that out. What a nut. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Legalbeagle421 said:

I'm so glad you called this out because it is so troublesome when people do this. Just because one person of a specific race/nationality/ethnicity isn't offended does not mean they speak for everyone. The Kanye Wests of this world make my life so difficult.

Yes, they do.  It reminds me of a great South Park quote: "Jesse Jackson is NOT the emperor of black people!".

• Love 2

Sharonana—I guess I see a difference in Brandi’s comment, which was specifically meant to ridicule all Asians, and LeeAnne’s comment which was only meant to mock annoying Kary’s superiority in elevating her Mexican heritage over the other women’s.

Also, like some others, I have to admit I absolutely didn’t buy Kary’s attempted show of being upset about LeeAnne’s supposed “racist” comments.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, nab said:

Also, like some others, I have to admit I absolutely didn’t buy Kary’s attempted show of being upset about LeeAnne’s supposed “racist” comments.  

I agree, she had the other women in her ear telling her how racist Leanne was and how upset she should be and so she went for it, acted like she needed a moment, put her head in her hands, took a deep breath and spoke about how much the remarks hurt her...and scene!  

I had posted earlier that the racist angle was Kary's way to legitimize her dislike for Leanne, not that she needed that reason.  Leanne complained a lot when they were in Mexico and Kary took it personally, she insulted Kary's jewelry line, Leanne had been negative during a lot of their filming together and it pissed Kary off so why not take advantage of the racist angle and really stick it to Leanne.

That said, with Kary's performance...I do not smell an Emmy.

• Love 9
On 1/17/2020 at 8:56 PM, Hiyo said:

She is so ignorant, it's embarrassing. Bottom line, she truly doesn't 'get' why her comments are offensive. How does one even begin to explain xenophobia (fear of the foreigner) to someone like that? When she dismissed her comments as not being racist because she sat in Julio's lap, I just about died. Who is this woman and why is she on TV?

• Love 3

My quoting is messed up, as you can see, my text below indicates a reply to Nab:

Is Kary white or Latino, just wondering what is her full heritage?? You are correct, there are white people whose nationality is Mexican.  Lots of former US citizens also reside there.  Kary looks whiter than me, I am white, have an olive skin tone, from both parents, Mediterranean heritage as all my grandparents are from Italy and Quebec and the generation before that in France.  My Canadian, very French side favor the Mediterranean look and my Italian side relatives are majority olive skin.   I don’t mean to imply anything, I’m just curious.

FYI, There is actually another very well known Brittingham family from Mexico that is very wealthy. I believe some of the family live in Texas and CA.  I don’t know if there’s any relation, but I am not sure.  Just an FYI.

I wonder if the group had detoured to China from Thailand if D’Andrea or Kary would have suggested dining on street fare...you know, like bats, cockroaches, cats and rabid dogs.  They also sell cockroaches for medicinal purposes...and other purposes.  I’m inclined to believe that may happen in Thailand too.  Just saying. 🙄

On 1/17/2020 at 6:27 PM, nab said:

Edited by IKnowRight
  • Love 1
On 1/11/2020 at 8:40 AM, IKnowRight said:

This is why I kind of like Kam, it’s about her focus on pink, baby elephants 

I don't think I will EVER understand why everyone (including Andy) found it so hilarious when Kam sang that inane ditty about Thailand where everyone gets a baby elephant. I still do not 'get it'. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, Chalby said:

I don't think I will EVER understand why everyone (including Andy) found it so hilarious when Kam sang that inane ditty about Thailand where everyone gets a baby elephant. I still do not 'get it'. 

I'd say it was half laughing at her and half laughing with her. This is why Kam is the GOAT. Stuff like that. You can laugh at her. The song is stupid. No one is hurt by it. It's annoying at best. 

Plus, she has created a line of dog food in which she fills the much needed pink and "sparkly" dog food niche. 😉 A line of pink sparkly dog food, I might add, that has no sparkles and virtually no pink. 

Most perfect HW ever. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 1/24/2020 at 11:02 AM, IKnowRight said:

My quoting is messed up, as you can see, my text below indicates a reply to Nab:

Is Kary white or Latino, just wondering what is her full heritage?? You are correct, there are white people whose nationality is Mexican.  Lots of former US citizens also reside there.  Kary looks whiter than me, I am white, have an olive skin tone, from both parents, Mediterranean heritage as all my grandparents are from Italy and Quebec and the generation before that in France.  My Canadian, very French side favor the Mediterranean look and my Italian side relatives are majority olive skin.   I don’t mean to imply anything, I’m just curious.

Remember on RH of Beverly Hills, Kyle would introduce Mauricio as having grown-up in Mexico, "BUT HE'S NOT MEXICAN!"  She would point this out pretty often.. that he has the accent because his Jewish family lived in Mexico when he was young.  But he's NOT MEXICAN.  She wanted to make sure everyone knew he wasn't a person of color.  God forbid. 

(Now I am revving up my Kyle hate)

On 1/27/2020 at 6:19 AM, Chalby said:

I don't get it either!  I thought I was the only one.

• Love 4

I think the only reason Kyle’s given more information regarding Mauricio’s heritage is because she’d probably be called out for not knowing his background if she said he was Mexican and left it at that. She’s damned either way. Her first husband is part Indonesian and Arab (mixed with Dutch IRC), which Kyle has also always explained to everyone who’s curious. She’s never said or done anything racist, and she’s one of the few who’s actually married men who weren’t the typical all-American/Anglo-Saxon/Christian guys we see on these shows. Her pattern does not belong to that of a person who has issues with people of color. I’m all for calling out cast members like LeeAnne and Brandi, but imo Kyle doesn’t deserve some of the criticism she gets. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7