Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: What The Constitution Greens To Me

To air on January 6, 2020:

Following her battle with the Commission of Judicial Performance, Lola questions her own brand of creative justice. And when Benner assigns Lola a politically charged eco-terrorism trial that involves a senator's son, once again, Lola realizes she must trust her instincts in order to succeed.

I really enjoyed this episode. I don't think there was anything I disliked.

Full disclosure, I'm a huge fan of Peter MacNicol, like I love everything he's done. Lol, but I have to say I really liked his burgeoning relationship with Lola, I thought they had a fun and interesting chemistry.

• Love 10

If the doctor has a pattern of racist behavior, why didn't Callan call other witnesses? Surely if the stats were that bad, as his "expert witness" said, then other patients would testify to how they were treated. Also, if they couldn't get a murder conviction (which doesn't surprise me any more than it surprised Lola), why didn't they go for something like getting his license revoked for malpractice, which might have been an easier case? So often on this show, it seems like the cases are poorly thought out and they don't try even obvious approaches and they leave out so many obvious avenues for testimony.

I want the widower to sue in civil court for damages, but I suppose that would also be a losing (and very expensive) battle.

I know they simplify things to move them along, but it's hard sometimes, to not shout at the screen.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 15

Man this episode was packed with guest stars I recognized--Peter MacNicol (who I also like and I'm happy he's a judge with potential to recur), Patrick Duffy, Alicia Coppola (doctor's defense attorney who I'll always remember from Another World), Kathleen York (who played another congresswoman on The West Wing), Alimi Ballard (whose name I didn't know but whose face I recognized from Queen of the South), Jon Billingsly (who seems to always play a creepy serial killer) and Graham Patrick Martin who was Tony Denison's (Mark's father) co-star on Major Crimes. So tons of faces that were familiar to me. Either they're going full out or I watch too much TV.

2 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I want the widow to sue in civil court for damages, but I suppose that would also be a losing (and very expensive) battle.

I share a lot of your complaints.  The case, as presented, was pretty weak. It's pretty rare for prosecutors to go after doctors for criminal malpractice.  For me to buy that the LA DA would go there, I think the case should have been more overt and obvious.  From there, the statement could be made about the reluctance of  a jury to convict a doctor in a criminal court for care gone wrong.

I actually think the husband has a pretty good civil case and that's where it should have belonged all along.

I did love the moment at the end where Lola is complaining about avocado toast and Mark pointing out that she keeps eating his.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The case, as presented, was pretty weak.

On top of that, the only charge was 2nd degree murder, which usually implies a rash action, such as in the heat of passion.  I would think they would have included something like manslaughter by gross negligence, so the jury could consider a lesser verdict.  Of course, that would remove the reason for the father's speech at the end, which was the goal in the first place.

Mark's father's behavior has to be leading up to some kind of bombshell that will land in Marks lap.  It just seems like he is hiding too much.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

So tons of faces that were familiar to me. Either they're going full out or I watch too much TV.

No, I think that there was an inordinate amount of familiar faces in this episode. But hey, great for us, right? 

Helgenberger, McCrane and now MacNicol? They're going for a Murderer's Row of great actors for the other judges. I love it. All three of them are Emmy winners. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I did love the moment at the end where Lola is complaining about avocado toast and Mark pointing out that she keeps eating his.

$18 for some damn toast. I had avocado toast with eggs for breakfast yesterday. Made it myself and it didn't cost me no $18.

Luke is so cute. It's nice that that relationship is developing.

• Love 3

I agree with everyone who said that the doctor case was a real stretch for a criminal proceeding. The maternal mortality rate among Black women in the US is such an important issue to highlight but I don't think what I saw made much sense within the world of this story. It did make me think and cry some more about Kira Johnson.

I loved all the guest stars in this episode. Peter MacNicol, Patrick Duffy, Jon Billingsly and (Oscar nominated) Kathleen York. How were we so blessed? I can't wait for MacNicol to come back. I thought his friendship was good for Lola (and goof for him too) who has been too removed from the other judges.

• Love 9
25 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I'm still loving that Lopez and the court reporter enjoy being housemates. I was dreading that situation going the usual TV route of being another source of conflict.

Despite my complaints, I do like this show a lot.

Yeah, I was worried that there'd be some manufactured drama there, but they're luckily eschewing it....for now (hopefully for good). 

• Love 3
On 1/7/2020 at 1:12 AM, Irlandesa said:

I actually replayed the moment, just so I could chuckle at it a second time. I love their best friends/brother sister chemistry, and I hope the show leaves it right there.

• Love 6
On 1/7/2020 at 3:49 AM, Dowel Jones said:

On top of that, the only charge was 2nd degree murder, which usually implies a rash action, such as in the heat of passion. 

Also, "murder" has to include the intent to kill (the Latin term is "mens rea"). There was plenty of evidence that the doctor was negligent but none whatsoever that he intended to kill anyone. If this episode was intended to highlight racial bias (which is real), it probably backfired among the intended audience.

• Love 2

I cant blame the governors son for being upset with his mom. I mean, she knew that he had an illness when he apparently started showing symptoms for bipolar disorder, but she just told him that nothing was wrong with him and ignored it because she didnt want to admit what she was hiding, even from her own son. He could have hurt himself or someone else if it was left untreated or at least would have suffered a lot from an illness that is possible to manage. I am glad that she came around eventually for him, but that really sucks. 

The husband really should have gone for a civil suit against the doctor or hospital, or Mark should have aimed for manslaughter, or maybe called some of this guys black patients to see what their interactions with him were like, there were some other avenues here! I do appreciate the, dealing with issues like bias's in the medical field, an important topic that is hard to prove when it happens although it happens so much more than people think.

Even if Marks dad didnt kill that woman, he is clearly hiding something, and I feel like Mark will end up finding it and being stuck with figuring out what to do with it. 

Nice to see that the roommate situation is going well! Lopez and Luke are really cute, I hope that it keeps going strong. 

I am also really enjoying the friendship that is developing between Lola and the other judge, I think its good for both of them to have someone around who challenges them. Lola trying to play politics seems like it will be fun too, hope to meet more of the judges soon! 

Mark and Lola are still my favorite parts of the show. Lola teasing Mark about his avocado toast and him teasing back about how she always eats his toast was all very best friend like.

• Love 6

I think my biggest complaint from the episode was the prosecutor wearing the burnt orange suit at trial.  It looked ridiculous and I would have trouble believing, any big city DA's office would allow their prosecutors to dress like that.  

And yeah, the doctor case never should have been brought as a criminal matter.  You could say the doctor's bias blinded him to certain things about his black patients, and led him to make mistakes in the treatment, but that's neglect, not murder.     

• Love 1

I recognised the man who’s wife died as Quizmaster from Sabrina. Wasn’t he also in Numbers with Peter MacNicol? I really liked this episode. Another solid one. Love the scenery.