Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E02: Lindsey's Story

• Start Topic

Lindsey had it all: a white picket fence, a loving husband, a great job. But now her food addiction is threatening to ruin everything. And as she embarks on a weight loss journey to save her life, is her husband a support or an addict himself?

With no prior knowledge, who's voting for addict?  I am.  Otherwise I doubt they would have mentioned it. 

This is the REGULAR EPISODE thread.  It will open after the US East Coast showing.  This is for your thoughts after watching the episode. 

Original air date: 2020.01.08

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I enjoyed the live chat more than the show again. This is from someone on the west coast who actually hasn't watched it all yet.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 7

If it's not a complete train wreck, or a success story, we get bored.

Speaking of train wreck, I have the 1000-lb Sisters set to record. I know.

Edited by nokat
  • LOL 6
  • Love 5

Yes, she was pretty boring.  But I would take her over the 1000-pound sisters any day of the week!  They are a bit more entertaining, but a LOT more irritating.

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, AVM said:

Is it just me or does Paul have a gay vibe about him ?

We never did see his "buddy" he moved in....(though live chat was speculating it was a woman, but you never know).

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 1

Just watched the first half of Lindsey (which I missed for Jeopardy last night).  She is someone I couldn’t find any sympathy for nor did I find her entertaining like some of the real train wrecks.  She looked really good after her first WLS, unless she lives with Irene for the rest of her life I don’t see this one being a long term fix either.

• Love 11

I got sleepy and turned it off before the end but I agree that she's mean.  Apparently eating is the cure for her for everything - her back hurts?  She eats.  Most people would take a pain pill!  She would be happy with a conveyer belt running in front of her because I think she would eat non-stop.  I also got sick of her saying that "Paul just doesn't understand how I feel."  Excuse me - it is not Paul's job to understand how she feels!  I believe she is incredibly self-absorbed (which I think is the case with a lot of these 600 pound people - a bunch of narcissists!).  If she was that uncomfortable sitting in a car why didn't she get in the back seat where she could spread out more?

I think I heard Paul mention the word "he" when discussing his future roommate - but then again as I mentioned I was dozing off during big chunks of the show so maybe not.

Edited by RoxiP
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

Most people would take a pain pill! 

Right? I hurt my back and shoulder (separately) over the weekend and took some ibuprofen when I got to work this morning; I didn't go find some pizza and donuts for breakfast. (Though I do have that Dunkin' gift card from Christmas.....)

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

Has there been a sighting of the picket fence or will we have to wait for the supersized version?  This has haunted me all night.

It went the way of Penny's yellow brick road.

• LOL 10
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, MelissaMinion said:

I loved Paul’s meltdown. And this episode is giving us so many phrases to add to the bingo card. 

Respect my process!

Eat death, Lindsey!

Small Cheat Days!

Don't forget "smells like grease and freedom"!

• LOL 15
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, nokat said:

Can you imagine the odors in the car?

Do I have to..?

(Just had a flashback to my brother's car when he worked at McDonald's in high school...now add 600 pound person who only showers every other day and fake pine scent... 🤢)

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, Miracle Maxie said:

Don't forget "smells like grease and freedom"!

I have got to fit that line into conversation.  Life goals! I sense "grease and freedom" will become the line we go back to throughout the season.  That and "Eat death, Lindsey!" 

I don't see her being successful when she doesn't have (Come on*) Irene helping her.  Lindsey's motivation does not seem to be internal at all.  She is going along to get along.  She gets attention and companionship from Irene as long as she "trying".  She doesn't seem to have any real goals. 

*yes, I know it's Come On Eileen.  However, since I have been enjoying that earworm since they first showed Irene, I thought I would share it with you all.  You're welcome!  😼

• LOL 15
  • Love 4

This episode was fairly dull, but man did we get some great quotes! I can't wait to cry out "it tastes like grease and freedom" the next time Mr. WonTon and I treat ourselves to burgers and beers at our favorite brew pub. And, "Eat death, Lindsey!" Priceless.

Seriously, I really don't see long-term success for her. The episode was just constant excuses and blaming on her part. 

Off topic: This was the first time I've seen an ad for "My Feet Are Killing Me!" OMG! Really?!?!? Yuck! For a second, I thought I'd flipped over to SNL.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
23 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I have got to fit that line into conversation.  Life goals! I sense "grease and freedom" will become the line we go back to throughout the season.  That and "Eat death, Lindsey!" 

I don't see her being successful when she doesn't have (Come on*) Irene helping her.  Lindsey's motivation does not seem to be internal at all.  She is going along to get along.  She gets attention and companionship from Irene as long as she "trying".  She doesn't seem to have any real goals. 

*yes, I know it's Come On Eileen.  However, since I have been enjoying that earworm since they first showed Irene, I thought I would share it with you all.  You're welcome!  😼

Can’t thank you enough for the ear worm...

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, MelissaMinion said:

I loved Paul’s meltdown. And this episode is giving us so many phrases to add to the bingo card. 

Respect my process!

Eat death, Lindsey!

Small Cheat Days!

For me a small cheat might be an extra cookie or two, for her its an extra package of cookies or two or three.....

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Emkat said:

"I'm about to go get your breakfast at the gas station."

Um ok. Thanks I guess?!

I know I beat this drum a lot, but to save my life I cannot figure out why people sacrifice their mobility, health, relationships, jobs.....for crappy gas station food. Fast food. Shitty all you can eat buffet food. If it was great food, luscious, toothsome yummy food, (think chef Paul Prudhomme, who was HUGE but you can bet your bottom dollar he was eating mouthwatering deliciousness every damn day).

Never mind that her husband went to get her take out for breakfast. She can't fry an egg and drop some toast?

34 minutes ago, nokat said:

Can you imagine the odors in the car?

That poor little tree didn't stand a chance.

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I know I beat this drum a lot, but to save my life I cannot figure out why people sacrifice their mobility, health, relationships, jobs.....for crappy gas station food. Fast food. Shitty all you can eat buffet food. If it was great food, luscious, toothsome yummy food, (think chef Paul Prudhomme, who was HUGE but you can bet your bottom dollar he was eating mouthwatering deliciousness every damn day).

Never mind that her husband went to get her take out for breakfast. She can't fry an egg and drop some toast?

Honestly. I've noticed that more, especially as I've eaten more whole foods, and have cut back on buying junk, and fast food. When going back to it, most of this stuff tastes like crap, or it's not as good as I remember.

• Love 9

So after this chick polished off her breakfast of gas station pizza and donuts, she made herself two plates of nachos?

I have to say my favorite scene was in the hotel room when she pulled out that giant tenderloin sandwich and wailed, "Oh, no! They put mayonnaise on it. Oh, well."  *CHOMP* What a lady.

This show has become so scripted it's not even funny (well, except when it is funny because of you guys, mostly.) "My parents divorced. By the time I was 7, I weighed 300 pounds. Then an older relative molested me. After that I really started to put on weight. Then I got a job at a fast food restaurant. When I was 16, I weighed 500 pounds." I feel like I hear that every week!

Edited by mmecorday
stripted is not a word
  • LOL 3
  • Love 13
9 minutes ago, ShortyMac said:

Honestly. I've noticed that more, especially as I've eaten more whole foods, and have cut back on buying junk, and fast food. When going back to it, most of this stuff tastes like crap, or it's not as good as I remember.

Well there are food deserts, when you can't buy whole foods, but the people we see aren't usually in those. I have noticed that prepared food tastes so salty and nasty that I don't want it anymore.

I'll add that after a couple of weeks without the salt and sugar, you crave it less.

Edited by nokat
clarification
  • Love 5

Grease and Freedom are playing Lollapalooza next year.

Yes, a very boring episode. Lindsey's psychological problems run the spectrum. It seemed she was only willing to try losing weight if Paul gave up drinking. She wasn't willing to give up the food. I could see her wheels churning in her brain: "How do I eat what I want and lose weight like Dr Now wants me to?"

Also, gas station breakfast?? I hollered out loud. "I'm going to the gas station for breakfast" has never been spoken in my house.

• LOL 17
  • Love 3
44 minutes ago, ShortyMac said:

When going back to it, most of this stuff tastes like crap, or it's not as good as I remember.

I have had that experience a lot, lately. Most recently, giving in to a sale on Lucky Charms. Then wondering, "why?"

41 minutes ago, nokat said:

I'll add that after a couple of weeks without the salt and sugar, you crave it less.

I know this intellectually, and I keep telling myself that, but the initial cutting back is so hard...(trying to get to little or no sugar in my tea. Not there yet.)

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I have to say my favorite scene was in the hotel room when she pulled out that giant tenderloin sandwich and wailed, "Oh, no! They put mayonnaise on it. Oh, well."  *CHOMP* What a lady.

And she'd asked for it with 'everything' on it at the drive-thru window.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I'm waiting for your "I'm sitting here drinking and sobbing and thinking 'Cause my baby got too wide for our doublewide ," but chat had closed when I saw it.
Maybe to the tune of Hot Rod Lincoln.

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, auntjess said:

I'm waiting for your "I'm sitting here drinking and sobbing and thinking 'Cause my baby got too wide for our doublewide ," but chat had closed when I saw it.
Maybe to the tune of Hot Rod Lincoln.

Just made me think of the line from Sweet Home Alabama:

"Oh, go back to your doublewide and fry something."

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

This was as boring as Whitney was on her season opener.
I did think that renting a room was a good idea.  Lindsey was more presentable that a lot of the folks, so it would work for her.
She seems reasonably clean, as did their house. 
When she talked about the diet was too drastic all at once, I was hearing Sean's mother.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

That poor little tree didn't stand a chance.

For all her complaining about not being able to move she sure shifted her ass quickly to get her 2 plates of nachos.  I also noticed after her measly loss she is cleaning and moving.  I think she always could move that way but likes Paul to be her fetcher.  I also think she was moving quickly to make others think she didn't cheat as much as she did.  She will be fat again.

1 hour ago, poeticlicensed said:

And a bottle of Old Harper?

You forgot the comb (American Graffiti). HA!

• Love 5

I don't understand why any of the Poundticipants complain about the taste of their food, or bother getting anything but the cheapest stuff.   The way most of them cram food down, they don't taste anything, and most of them don't seem to chew either.  It's just cram it in their mouth and it's gone.      They don't enjoy food before they see Dr. Now, and then they complain about not enjoying it after.    If they tried a little seasoning, or maybe grilling food, then it would be better.    Dumping a chicken breast into a pot of water, and boiling all taste out of it does nothing but take the flavor out of it.  

• Love 13

She was the standard typical 600 pounder. I cannot stand the whole I was 125 at age 5 but then this happened and I was 250 at age 12 but then THIS horrible thing happened so I turned to food. Her whole monologue was absurd and we have heard it 100 times before. She was actually 125 pounds AT AGE 5!!! But when her father stole her car! That was when she got fat!

It was just the same old same old. She was hoping to lose weight without having to give up food. some of these people do a temporary try and Dr. Now helps them, but she will not be a success. She was horrible, but similar to many of them.  I loved her I have built in cheat days 2x a week. Dr. Now knows if they stick with the plan verbatim they will lose more than the goal he gave them. We have see a few times, those that really do the plan 100% lose 100 pounds when they were told to lose 70. So if you lose  20 you just took a big dump and watched your weight 3 days before the weigh in. You are fooling no one. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 10
16 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I don't understand why any of the Poundticipants complain about the taste of their food, or bother getting anything but the cheapest stuff.   The way most of them cram food down, they don't taste anything, and most of them don't seem to chew either.  It's just cram it in their mouth and it's gone.      They don't enjoy food before they see Dr. Now, and then they complain about not enjoying it after.    If they tried a little seasoning, or maybe grilling food, then it would be better.    Dumping a chicken breast into a pot of water, and boiling all taste out of it does nothing but take the flavor out of it.  

I make poached chicken once in a while (because it's easy and I'm lazy and also I have no space in my kitchen)...but I add some pepper or something to the water, and eat it with rice (usually some kind of whole-grain mix) and vegetables (and maybe gravy made with chicken or vegetable stock), or in a salad with several vegetables (more than just boring lettuce) and a little (not half the bottle) of a dressing I actually like. It doesn't have to be completely boring...but I guess in their world if it doesn't have an inch-thick coating of breading and a few thousand milligrams of sodium it's just not worth eating. (Some of that is probably not Dr. Now approved, though. He should require them to work with someone who can teach them to cook stuff that will actually taste good.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, essexjan said:

And she'd asked for it with 'everything' on it at the drive-thru window.

There are people who prefer Miracle Whip. I had to leave home to discover real mayonnaise and cheese other than Velveeta. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

Don't forget the Supersized rerun of Lindsey from 9-11 p.m Central Friday.    And the rerun of the original episode 5-7 p.m. next Wednesday.     

I'm taping the Supersized one Friday, and I hope there's something interesting in it, or the added Bonus Scenes.  

I think there's a difference between poaching a piece of chicken, and slopping a piece without seasoning into plain boiling water, and boiling it to the point of mush.   

I think it depends on what you were raised on.   My family always had Miracle Whip, and I've never liked Mayo.      And our cheese was either mild Cheddar, or American Cheese (I know, it's not really cheese, but "processed cheese food").    Plus, we had margarine, and very rarely butter, so I like margarine more too. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, nokat said:

There are people who prefer Miracle Whip. I had to leave home to discover real mayonnaise and cheese other than Velveeta. 

Those people are wrong. (Though I did love Velveeta as a kid.)

• LOL 7
  • Love 2