Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E05: She's Sew Unusual

• Start Topic

I will never understand that when the designers have a team challenge and are supposed to be cohesive, they all assume that means using the same colors or all using the same fabric in some way.  Normal collections aren't like that, and how limited is their imagination if they can't come up with something unifying other than color and safety pins?  I mean, you don't even have to figure out who "your girl" is for this challenge, since it's Cyndi Lauper!

I hate editing.  Every time on these team challenges, the team struggling to communicate the most wins and the harmonious team loses.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

Okay, I have a nitpik.  It warmed my heart when Geoffrey asked for, and received, a hug from Cyndi Lauper.  But then, Victoria, who earlier said she had never even heard of Cyndi Lauper prior to this challenge, also asked and got a hug.  I felt that Victoria took some of the 'specialness' of the moment away from Geoffrey.  Cyndi Lauper had great meaning to him throughout his life; Victoria seemed to want more time in the spotlight.  

I think the judges may choose the winning team based on to whom they want to give the win.  I really thought Shavi should have won.  His outfit was fun, 80s inspired, and unique amongst all the other designs.

Ohhhhh yeah.  You're not the only one who noticed.

And yes, you're right about Shavi (IMO).

• Love 10

Team stripe getting along so well really hindered them because Christian seemed to think they were fine and that the chaos team needed his help more. The only comment Christian made to them about their collection was something like, so, you're really commiting to that stripe huh. Which should have clued them into the fact that maybe they shouldn't be so committed to that stripe. But other than that it was at least edited to look like Christian was helping the other team out way more. 

So happy Sergio was in the bottom. I thought that would wipe the smugness right off his face but nope, still smug. But yay for Brandon to point out he chose to come on the show. Delvin is a close second in the smugness department. 

The group excluding Nancy was mean but in their defence, Nancy due to her creative process, would not or could not tell anyone what she was even designing! The rest of the group had to make the collection and plan hair and makeup with no idea what Nancy was doing. The way it was edited though made the team seem extremely mean girl as others have put it which I don't excuse. 

Victoria herself said she was making the same dress as last week with a couple of tweeks so that hopefully the judges wouldn't notice. Well, not only did they not notice but they commented that it was new and fresh! So... Good for Victoria I guess??

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
20 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

But looking back on what I remember about her outfits and style, Cyndi would never have worn all black, well-done or not. She originated the wacky and bright color combos. Now, Chrissie Hynde, OTOH,....

I was so perplexed when self-proclaimed super-Lauper fan guy was all hesistant to use pink....and really wanted to do all black because he wanted to do right by her. I mean, I get that in the end she liked his outfit, but for someone who supposedly knows her work and style so well, I was very WTF. I get that he may not have wanted to use the pink fabric the other people chose, sure, but what he said at face value made no sense. 

• Love 10

I loved Delvins look, probably because I loved the yellow, which is a rarely used color on this show. Shavi’s was also creative and great and fun.

i was also confused by all the black. When I think of Cyndi, I remember her most by her bright red hair, yellow eye shadow and extremely colorful clothing and wild styling. Maybe there wasn’t much fabric to choose from at mood that would read as 80s?

i want to see Sergio’s elimination because I’m dying to see his reaction and what he says about it!

Edited by Kdel1079
  • Love 12
14 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I was so perplexed when self-proclaimed super-Lauper fan guy was all hesistant to use pink....and really wanted to do all black because he wanted to do right by her. I mean, I get that in the end she liked his outfit, but for someone who supposedly knows her work and style so well, I was very WTF. I get that he may not have wanted to use the pink fabric the other people chose, sure, but what he said at face value made no sense. 

I could be wrong, but it seemed to me that he may have issues with that color stemming from his background with being bullied for being gay. 

I just did not understand this being a team challenge. When I think punk or Cyndi Lauper, I think of individuality not everyone looking the same. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 16
22 hours ago, Ashforth said:

It was a crap design dictate to start with, I guess Cindy Lauper is a cheap celebrity "get" these days. There is no need for a fashion challenge based on what she wore 30 years ago.

I was completely baffled by the whole thing.  Then it happened.  The Cosentyx commercial/Cyndi Lauper monologue at the end.

This episode of nothingness was designed around the mfgr. of a psoriasis med, which we all know is heavily invested in Cyndi Lauper.  It was a dumb challenge.  We've been had.

• Useful 9
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Yours Truly said:

Sergio's overthing.. All I kept thinking was that it looked like a sheer fitted sheet. I was like WHAT IS THAT?? Why would someone purposely make the fabric bunch together around the edge to look like a fitted sheet facing OUTWARD? I mean in wasn't even tucked under facing toward her body. It was flipped back looking all kinds of crazy. That's the best way I can describe how it looked to me. 

I thought it looked like an enormous hairnet.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

For those who think the judges will finally chastise Victoria for making the same dress all the time, don't forget Anya's non-sewn loungewear wraps she made for pretty much every challenge, and she won the whole thing her season on the basis that she was a genius at using prints. Which she was, but still. Then other contestants get hacked to pieces for sending the same thing three times in a row. I think if the judges can find something they love about the look, they don't mind seeing it forever.  I fear that may be Victoria's saving grace.

Count me in as seeing nothing punk about this challenge at all. I'm not sure the judges understand punk vs new wave vs whatever you would call Cyndi's style back then. But punk wasn't 80s, that much I remember.  Sid Vicious was punk. Cyndi was something else entirely.

• Love 20

Was I the only one when Cyndi said that kerchief skirt (maybe Victoria’s variation #1000) was out of the 80s because Debbie Harry wore it in the “Heart of Glass” video said “that’s 1978”?  

Was it pop, punk, disco, new wave - no one got it including the producers and judges. All of it was a mess - Team Stripe, can’t more than one of you use stripes for the top? Chaos lived up to their name. Sergio should have gone, unless they’re saving up to really crash him later. But like everyone, I had no idea who Melanie was so it was her time. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, ML89 said:

Was I the only one when Cyndi said that kerchief skirt (maybe Victoria’s variation #1000) was out of the 80s because Debbie Harry wore it in the “Heart of Glass” video said “that’s 1978”?  

Nope. Because my high school boyfriend put that on a mix tape (!) he made for me when I went off to college in 1979. But I think she said that about one of the other looks (Delvin's)🙂

• Love 3
4 hours ago, ML89 said:

1 hour ago, dleighg said:

Nope. Because my high school boyfriend put that on a mix tape (!) he made for me when I went off to college in 1979. But I think she said that about one of the other looks (Delvin's)🙂

According to Wikipedia, Heart of Glass was released on January 3, 1979.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

So I didn’t watch the previews for this episode last week, and for some reason my Spectrum DVR had this episode titled as “Sew 80s.”

”Sew” I had no idea what this episode was gonna be about or if there would be a guest judge. 

At the beginning of the episode, when Carlee was explaining the challenge and suddenly someone croaked “Hey Cahhhhleeee” from backstage, it sounded terrifying! I expected Danny Devito or the crypt keeper to emerge for a horror challenge. So color me “sew” surprised when cute little Cyndi emerged! 

Confusion and bizarre pharma advertorial aside, I really liked Cyndi as a guest judge. Loved her honesty saying some of her fashion choices were driven by the fact that she felt tiny on stage and simply wanted to look bigger. She also showed grace when so many ugly, depressing, not-punk, not-Cyndi, not-80s looks walked the stage. There should have been a double, triple or even quadruple elimination! Auf with several heads!

This season lacks joy, and it shows in the clothes the designers are making. Lots of bitchy delusional personalities this year as usual, but not too many people on who seem genuinely nice who I want to root for. Nancy seems nice but I can see how she likely gets to be “a lot.” Still doesn’t excuse the others’ treatment of her. Geoffrey is kinda cute in a scattered way and seems nice but always seems on the verge of nervous breakdown. I think last years crop simply consisted of a nicer group of people, which is nicer to watch. 

Edited by HelloOutThere
  • Love 16
2 hours ago, Kdel1079 said:

I also thought 70s , not 80s, when Cyndi mentioned blondie. I’m a big fan so I know their popular period was 1979, year I was born

O.k. that makes me feel old. I was a big Blondie fan...at the time! And mostly their early stuff. Heart of Glass was good, but that started what was their the down hill slide to semi-mediocrity for me.

• Love 4

Geoffrey’s story of rejection from his dad was really heartbreaking. I’ve thought about it a lot since the episode aired. I have a son and simply can not imagine being so cruel to my own child. I really hope he is getting help on dealing with that kind of rejection.

There really did seem to be a gaping lack of agreement about what style they were “modernizing”. 

• Love 15
18 hours ago, auntlada said:

I really liked Geoffrey's, but it looked a lot like Joan Jett to me, not Cyndi Lauper. (I like Joan Jett, too, though, so I'm OK with it.)

Thinking back, Geoffrey’s (apologies for misspelling his name earlier) read very Grace Jones to me. I loved it. Was also mad that Victoria horned in on his Cyndi moment.

I was in grade school and high school in the 80s so it is my favorite time, fashion-, music-, and film-wise. But that also means I’m in Sergio’s so-called demographic and sonnnnnn I would never wear that steaming pile of ruffled poop you’ve sent down the runway in past challenges.  Today’s over-40 crowd is a lot more diverse and has broader tastes than Texas old-money aging debutantes, pal.

Seriously I went back to all his looks:

Episode one: sheath dress with jarringly multi-level hem and poofy add-on sleeves. Nope

Episode two: Leopard print dress with massive prairie ruffle: Nope

Episode three: Boston Proper Boobie Bow. Nope

Episode four: Bell dress with basket. Okay maybe, that one was admittedly good.

Episode five: As someone mentioned above, inside out fitted sheet. Nope

In short: Sergio, you wrong.

• LOL 1
  • Love 16
On 1/9/2020 at 9:36 PM, Straycat80 said:

I didn’t really like anything team stripe did either, it wasn’t 80’s or Cyndi to me. I didn’t think Marqis design was that bad, the jacket was cute. I wish Sergio got the boot because he’s an ass  but Melanie’s was pretty bad. Whoever advised her to cut up the bottom that made it look like a car wash really sabotaged her.

I think it was Marqis who suggested that but he was talking about the black and white skirt that she scrapped.  The skirt was boring and hideous and he suggested the car wash cuts to make it more interesting.  Now of course it would have still been fugly, but probably better than what she sent down the runway.   

• Love 3

I would have been okay with a double elimination. Melanie's design was both boring and bad: a recipe for PR Elimination. Sergio's Frankendress was equally bad and his attitude is worse. Is he really thinking of a post-PR career? Even if he doesn't win, (and he won't)  who would want to work with him?

I'm worried that Geoffrey will have a breakdown, but I was so happy for him. I actually cheered a little when he won.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Ashforth said:

Someone (sorry, can't recall who) wondered if the designers had design briefs or lookbooks. I think they did, and I think that this album cover was included. Care to guess why?

image.png.bfcbd44b01b58bee0b74bd47698cb49e.png

Thank you!

The episode seemed really boring and I didn't want to rewatch.

24 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

IMO Christian has been coming off better than Tim Gunn.

Christian impressed me when he mentored on PRJunior, very professional and on point. I love seeing his more relaxed approach now, though. He’s quick-witted and gives sharp insights without being nasty. Tim lost a lot of my regard during Under the Gunn, and never quite seemed to be in tune with the PR judges thereafter, which made his advice often very problematic for the contestants. 

i hope the show keeps going, despite bumps and hiccups. Even with problems, it’s one of the few I watch. 

• Love 17
On 1/9/2020 at 8:41 PM, LennieBriscoe said:

But looking back on what I remember about her outfits and style, Cyndi would never have worn all black, well-done or not. She originated the wacky and bright color combos.

I totally agree. I was in my teens when she broke out on MTV and she was definitely approachable pop or New Wave-lite, at most. She was the less-sexualized version of Madonna's look, much more colorful, way more playful. Punk? NFW. I would have referenced Adam Ant and Culture Club instead, as all three have big dance beats and a whimsical fashion sense without the dark punk feel.

I thought the element they all missed - including Nancy - was the volume Cyndi spoke of explicitly. Her look always had a destroyed-Victorian-glamor vibe to me. Layers and layers of tattered skirts and tulle balanced with a more minimal corset top, for example. Styled with costumey hair and make-up. I thought they all blew a chance to go wild with pattern and texture.

I like Nancy but this episode showed her tendency to assume a manager position. It's pure speculation on my part but I'm guessing she's led work teams for a long time and forgets that's de facto person-in-charge is not her presumptive role anymore.

Edited by heavysnaxx
  • Love 16
On 1/10/2020 at 6:31 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

I was completely baffled by the whole thing.  Then it happened.  The Cosentyx commercial/Cyndi Lauper monologue at the end.

This episode of nothingness was designed around the mfgr. of a psoriasis med, which we all know is heavily invested in Cyndi Lauper.  It was a dumb challenge.  We've been had.

There was also an iTunes commercial or similar that showed her for a second. 

On 1/10/2020 at 8:13 AM, Ladyrain said:

Melanie's downfall was she didn't bring the drama, I think that's why she got booted.   I hate how the show values that as much, or perhaps even more, than actual talent.

Minimalist designers never win. They are not that interesting.

• Love 3
On 1/10/2020 at 7:32 AM, jackjill89 said:

None of this was punk. Punk was dirty and grungy. There was no refinement. Cyndi Lauper, The Go-Gos, Madonna, Flock of Seagulls, The Cure -- there were these punk-esque elements, but they were taken to a quirkier place. Spiky hair, exaggerated eye makeup and mixing materials in fashion. The colors popped -- not necessarily neon, but splashes of color. Color blocking, not stripes. True punks stuck their safety pins in their cheeks, used glue to spike their hair and their t-shirts were ripped an unwashed. 

I completely agree! I think last week’s repurposed goodwill clothes is a more punk idea (not necessarily what got made but the idea of used clothing) than anything from this episode. I really wish they would be more accurate about what they call some of these challenges. None of these clothes were punk, and neither was Cyndi Lauper.

Personally, I did not think Brittany deserved top 3. Those pants were just as frumpy as anything Sergio has made, plus she was obnoxious to my girl Nancy, who I thought had a better outfit if she had just sent her model without that weird cover. Still, I’m glad Geoffrey won. His jumpsuit looked great and very eighties, plus it was gratifying to see him win considering how much it meant to him.

Has Sergio ever met a 40 year old woman? I am 47, but I am not exactly entering my dotage! I have a 10 year old! I wear skinny jeans and a bikinis! Most of my wardrobe comes from Banana Republic. I have no idea who he thinks he designs for. I would say it’s more like ladies over 70, but I am friends with some stylish women over that age and they would never wear sergio’s frumpy crap either!

I’m with Nina. I can’t remember anything Melanie made either.

• Love 8

Victoria did another Xena Warrior Princess dress with asymmetrical skirt and ended up in the top 3 again? Total one way monkey.

Sergio's inevitable auffing is going to be delicious.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
On 1/10/2020 at 8:51 PM, Kdel1079 said:

i want to see Sergio’s elimination because I’m dying to see his reaction and what he says about it!

This. I bet his elimination will be epic. 

• Love 2

I thought the element they all missed - including Nancy - was the volume Cyndi spoke of explicitly. Her look always had a destroyed-Victorian-glamor vibe to me. Layers and layers of tattered skirts and tulle balanced with a more minimal corset top, for example. Styled with costumey hair and make-up. I thought they all blew a chance to go wild with pattern and texture.

Yes! You are so right! I think that's why I was so drawn to Shavi's dress. He created the silhouette of a corset with a voluminous skirt. His construction gave the skirt its volume and movement and his use of the black and white, and the pink underlining gave the illusion of layers. His look met the challenge of a modernized Cyndi perfectly.

• Love 12

Whre were the plaid and the tulle ? The corsets ? The multiple collars and bracelets ?!?!? The pop of colors ?!? A basic black tutu skirt underlined with neon pink or red tulle + corset + fishnets or lace pantyhose ?

It could have been so fun, but it was not.

A "sober" version of a look from1985 (so without the studs, the multiple collars and the bracelets) :

1985.jpg

1985.jpg

Edited by Diane Mars
  • Love 2
On 1/10/2020 at 4:24 PM, WaltersHair said:

The 80's were a weird time. I remember my mom showing me an article in Newsweek about the battle of the Pop Princesses- Cindy and Madonna and asking who would win. I think we all know.

Sorry, idk who the winner of the pop battle is. I was raising a teen daughter in the 80s, who loved music and MTV. I had plenty of exposure, but was merging into "get off my lawn" territory. It got much worse with our youngest daughter in the early aughts. I mentioned the rapper 50 Cents once and she corrected me, "It's 50 CENT." Get off my lawn. 

On 1/10/2020 at 4:40 PM, dleighg said:

image.png.5923c00c88cde04aced70eb088c08d73.png

Speaking of Sergio and his love of all things overpriced, his cheesy comment on first seeing his model on the runway was a breathless "Show me the money." He designs like an old lady, lol. 

On 1/10/2020 at 8:31 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

In this commercial, Cyndi was surrounded by Team Stripe's outfits on mannequins. And none of Team Chaos' clothes. Have we been had in more ways than one? 

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, Diane Mars said:

Whre were the plaid and the tulle ? The corsets ? The multiple collars and bracelets ?!?!? The pop of colors ?!? A basic black tutu skirt underlined with neon pink or red tulle + corset + fishnets or lace pantyhose ?

I think if anyone had gone that route, they would have been dinged for being too costumey, though I agree, more color would have been nice.

As it was, Marquise added the fishnet socks with the heels was commented on negatively, IIRC.

The problem is the viewers hear "Cyndi Lauper" but we don't know what specifically the designers are told; they are given more detail other than what we see.  They have to "be inspired" and "modernize" and somewhere, someone told them about "punk" because they all seemed to run with that.

I think Shavi came the closest to meeting the challenge but he was on the losing team.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, raven said:

The problem is the viewers hear "Cyndi Lauper" but we don't know what specifically the designers are told; they are given more detail other than what we see.  They have to "be inspired" and "modernize" and somewhere, someone told them about "punk" because they all seemed to run with that.

I think Shavi came the closest to meeting the challenge but he was on the losing team.

Exactly. We see and hear "Cyndi Lauper" but the designs - except for Shavi's - didn't seem to be related to her iconic style at all.

We've seen the designers in past seasons get a design brief and look books, not in every episode but particularly when designing for a celebrity client. It seems apparent that in this episode they got images of Lauper, Debbie Harry, Madonna, Janet Jackson, and someone I can't pinpoint who famously wore giant black shrouds. Just kidding on the last one, I can't think of anyone like that.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I hated Brittany’s. I’d have traded it out for Devlin or even Nancy in a heartbeat. I might be the only person who liked Nancy’s coat thing. It seemed very Cyndi to me. 

I loved Geoffrey’s & I’m glad he won; I think Victoria is stuck in a rut 

insert obligatory Sergio sucks statement here. 

Edited by heckkitty
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, heavysnaxx said:

I like Nancy but this episode showed her tendency to assume a manager position. It's pure speculation on my part but I'm guessing she's led work teams for a long time and forgets that's de facto person-in-charge is not her presumptive role anymore.

I noticed that Delvin said something about “cohesive not being ‘matchy-matchy’” and then Nancy said essentially the same thing back to him, as if she were correcting him. Delvin’s face said “I am done with you” and I felt him right there. 

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Rt66vintage said:

Sorry, idk who the winner of the pop battle is.

If we're measuring success in $$, it's Madonna by a mile.  

6 hours ago, Rt66vintage said:

Have we been had in more ways than one? 

I didn't even notice that.  Can you be had more than once, lol?  

7 hours ago, Rt66vintage said:

Speaking of Sergio and his love of all things overpriced, his cheesy comment on first seeing his model on the runway was a breathless "Show me the money." He designs like an old lady, lol.

I'd like them to bring Iris Apfel on while Sergio is still there so she can teach him lesson.

3 hours ago, Archery said:

I noticed that Delvin said something about “cohesive not being ‘matchy-matchy’” and then Nancy said essentially the same thing back to him, as if she were correcting him. Delvin’s face said “I am done with you” and I felt him right there. 

I thought she was agreeing with him and expanding on what he said and that his face looked like he couldn't believe she was talking when he'd said everything that needed to be said. As I recall, he said something about "matchy-matchy," and she added that it meant everybody didn't need to use the same color.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, auntlada said:

I thought she was agreeing with him and expanding on what he said and that his face looked like he couldn't believe she was talking when he'd said everything that needed to be said. As I recall, he said something about "matchy-matchy," and she added that it meant everybody didn't need to use the same color.

I took that as him being offended that she thought she needed to explain his obvious statement, like everyone needed the white lady to let everyone know what the black guy was saying. I was kind of offended for him frankly. I don't think she was doing it intentionally but that's the reaction I believe I saw on his face.  These kinds of misunderstandings is what makes life difficult to bridge between people sometimes.

Others may see it differently of course.

• Love 3