Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E11: Careful What You Wish For

wknt3
  • Start Topic

After an EMT is shot and killed, Danny and Baez work to determine who is behind a chain of ambulance robberies. Then, Frank defends New York's homeless community after the mayor puts a new law in place. Erin tries to put away a violent perp after a judge rules he's not guilty, and Eddie offers to help Jamie pay off his student loans.

They are making Bridget Moynihan look matronly, which is strange for such a beautiful woman.   I hate the stiff hair and the high neck blouses with the big bows.  It reminds me of cop shows in the seventies.  Does the wardrobe department hate her or is this telegraphing some idea that she is even more uptight than before?

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 2

This show got really, really boring.  All of the actors look bored, and I agree about Erin. Why can't they do something with her character, it's like she has no life outside of work.

1 hour ago, nittanycougar said:

They are making Bridget Moynihan look matronly, which is strange for such a beautiful woman.   I hate the stiff hair and the high neck blouses with the big bows.  It reminds me of cop shows in the seventies.  Does the wardrobe department hate her or is this telegraphing some idea that she is even more uptight than before?

That has been driving me mad for a year now.  Other than the off times she's wearing a sleeveless blouse when they shoot in the summer, it's the same pussy bow blouses.  And at the same time, I have yet to understand why Danny is allowed to wear jeans on the job this season. 

It's been a very long time the family got together to do a run of a mill activity.  The last one I can recall was a soap box derby one of the sons did which was season...3?  They are long overdue to have one again just for a change of pace. 

• Love 1

Oof, so much agreement about Erin. Someone hates her.

I'm impressed/shocked that Jamie has managed to pay down $200k in I don't know how many years on a cop's salary.

1 hour ago, rhys said:

Oof, so much agreement about Erin. Someone hates her.

I'm impressed/shocked that Jamie has managed to pay down $200k in I don't know how many years on a cop's salary.

They mentioned him working working weekends. This means either overtime and/or detail pay. Cops doing this can make A LOT of money; in big cities there are mere patrolmen making $100K doing this. As a sergeant, he’d be making even more depending on how much he works.

Another vote against Erins increasingly dowdy wardrobe as of late.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Msample said:

They mentioned him working working weekends. This means either overtime and/or detail pay. Cops doing this can make A LOT of money; in big cities there are mere patrolmen making $100K doing this. As a sergeant, he’d be making even more depending on how much he works.

Another vote against Erins increasingly dowdy wardrobe as of late.

Yeah, as a sergeant, he would also be able to get, if not FIRST crack, certainly an early crack at special duties, as well, on top of the overtime (like working as security for city workers doing road work). You'd be shocked by how much cops can make if they max everything out (special duties, overtime and regular salary). A cop friend of mine notes that some people go way overboard with it, to the point where their subordinates are like, "Hey, boss, could you maybe tone it down a bit? You're making, like, $400,000 and we're the ones who get shit about it when it hits the papers."

I hate to break it - but that 70s inspired look Erin is wearing is all the rage right now, including the pussy bow blouses. Don't shoot the messenger.

Of course the judge who went against Erin's recommendation turns out to be compromised AND wrong AND in need of saving comforting by Erin, sigh.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

I hate to break it - but that 70s inspired look Erin is wearing is all the rage right now, including the pussy bow blouses. Don't shoot the messenger.

Of course the judge who went against Erin's recommendation turns out to be compromised AND wrong AND in need of saving comforting by Erin, sigh.

And it's a total coincidence that she's also black. Yep, total coincidence. Nothing shady here at all. No sir.

• Love 2
On 1/4/2020 at 1:52 PM, rhys said:

On 1/4/2020 at 3:43 PM, Msample said:

12 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

Yeah, as a sergeant, he would also be able to get, if not FIRST crack, certainly an early crack at special duties, as well, on top of the overtime (like working as security for city workers doing road work). You'd be shocked by how much cops can make if they max everything out (special duties, overtime and regular salary). A cop friend of mine notes that some people go way overboard with it, to the point where their subordinates are like, "Hey, boss, could you maybe tone it down a bit? You're making, like, $400,000 and we're the ones who get shit about it when it hits the papers."

I would think his rank isn't as important as being a Reagan. Not because of any nepotism, but because he can't take out the garbage without stumbling upon a crime and being pulled into a lengthy investigation and racking up the OT! And yes supervisors below Deputy Inspector in NYPD can really rack up the overtime pay as there are a lot of special events and details that need somebody running them as well as supervising crime scenes, etc. The NYPD actually had to change their policy to allow Captains to get overtime pay (they used to get comp time instead with limits on use) in order to get Lts. to take promotions as the Sgts. and Lts. were making more than Captains. But even taking the overtime into account it does make you wonder how Jamie has paid off so much debt while living in nice apartments and eating out constantly while Danny has struggled despite working morning, noon, and night and making more than Jamie (as a Detective 1st Grade he makes slightly less than a lieutenant) and living more modestly...

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Msample said:

Danny is raising two kids, and one of them in in some posh and expensive looking prep school in  NH.

While that's certainly fair, he was also always complaining a lot about money back when Linda was still alive and the two of them together must have been making a very healthy living. Danny's BASE is probably around $110,000 and obviously he's breaking cases every day, so his OT must be up the wazoo. So with Linda's salary, he should have been doing fine. Now that's he's single, then yeah, he's probably going to struggle a bit with a mortgage and two kids in private school (assuming he's paying for college tuition for his oldest). 

I'd be surprised, though, if he was actually paying for his oldest's college tuition. 

• Love 1
On 1/4/2020 at 9:30 AM, preeya said:

This show is rapidly heading down the tubes. IMHO it is time to pull the plug.

Every show now this year is the same. Four storylines and a group of one dimensional characters.

I agree this needs to be the last year.

Enough already with the idea of the mayor being just another dick and always in conflict with Frank (who never loses the argument). That storyline has been hashed and rehashed; it's time to bless it, bury it, wave buh-bye to it, and move the fuck on! Sorry, but I'm especially pissy because today is the first day of school and I should be reading 98 pages of Texas vs. US Memorandum Opinion, followed by an additional 55 pages of Appellate Opinion Remanding the Case to Trial Court (both of which are boring AF, in case you're wondering) and quite frankly I'd prefer a healthy dose of vag itch over spending the next six-and-a-half hours trying to decipher a language I never wanted to learn (legalese) about a subject about which I do not give a shit (ACA). Well, that's not exactly true; I do give a shit about the ACA, just not to the tune of 153 combined pages. At least the vag itch wouldn't put me into a sleep coma. Too bad Erin Reagan wasn't a real person who could read the freakin' docs for me and then type me up a nice little summary. But I digress...

Another problem I have with this episode is that it is just another in a long line of making EMS the Bad Guy and this time they're thieves and drug traffickers to boot! I don't know if there is an actual rivalry between NYPD and FDNY (perhaps one of my fellow travelers on this forum - who is not Denis Leary - can enlighten us?), but I do know that, when there is a medical emergency, no one screams for the medics louder than the cops. 

'kay; I've bitched enough for one day. Thanks for obliging me, folks. Cheers!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 1/5/2020 at 5:35 PM, MissLucas said:

This is true. I saw a magazine recently with Nancy Pelosi on the cover and it looked like she borrowed an outfit from Mary Richards. Last month I walked by a window of a fancy dress store and one of the outfits in the window had bell bottoms. It looked like something Diana Ross would have worn while performing in Vegas in the 1970s. 

On 1/5/2020 at 10:34 PM, Msample said:

Danny is raising two kids, and one of them in in some posh and expensive looking prep school in NH.

One of Danny's sons is in a parochial school, which costs more than a public school but is often less expensive than an independant/non-religiously affiliated private school. The older son is in college far away from New York. 

• Love 2
On 1/6/2020 at 2:38 AM, Brian Cronin said:

While that's certainly fair, he was also always complaining a lot about money back when Linda was still alive and the two of them together must have been making a very healthy living.

Linda wasn't working when the show started.  She decided to go back to work in season 3 because of money issues (based on a wiki page, it was only part time.) 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Linda wasn't working when the show started.  She decided to go back to work in season 3 because of money issues (based on a wiki page, it was only part time.) 

Thanks! This show has been on for so darn long. 🙂

On 1/6/2020 at 2:38 AM, Brian Cronin said:

While that's certainly fair, he was also always complaining a lot about money back when Linda was still alive and the two of them together must have been making a very healthy living. Danny's BASE is probably around $110,000 and obviously he's breaking cases every day, so his OT must be up the wazoo. So with Linda's salary, he should have been doing fine. Now that's he's single, then yeah, he's probably going to struggle a bit with a mortgage and two kids in private school (assuming he's paying for college tuition for his oldest). 

I'd be surprised, though, if he was actually paying for his oldest's college tuition. 

Didn’t Linda die while on the job? She worked for a hospital as a nurse, if it was a public hospital she could have been in the state or city pension system. I know in NJ if you have 3x your annual salary of coverage for a minimal amount. If it was an on the job accident, workers comp  may also pay a death benefit and  Danny could file a lawsuit against her employer. They most likely would have given him a nice check to avoid  a trial. Depending on pension rules, Danny may even be entitled to her pension or a portion of it.