Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Healing Times May Vary

Jenn's hip looked really gross, like she shouldn't even have been walking on it much less skating.

If Kat has been afraid of doing jumps all this time but she still wants to skate and compete, why didn't she switch to ice dancing instead? But I guess that would have been less drama...

• Love 5

If Kat has been afraid of doing jumps all this time but she still wants to skate and compete, why didn't she switch to ice dancing instead? But I guess that would have been less drama...

At the end of the day I feel like the story should have chosen some other sport than ice skating. Or at the very least, as you suggest, have Kat and Justin be ice dancers rather than pairs skaters. Even the most casual skating fan can recognize that the skating on this show is mediocre at best. We see only the very most basic moves. Kat and Justin's "long program" seemed to last about 1 minute. 

I get that they don't want to overly rely on stunt doubles for the difficult moves but the show has a fundamental problem with its premise because of that. You have to kind of pretend that the skaters are doing much more difficult moves than they are off camera. Not to mention the absurd notion that Kat could learn throw jumps and twists in just a few months well enough to compete with them. 

I'm not sure if the show expects its audience to be largely ignorant of figure skating technique or whether it expects them to simply hand-wave all of this.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 1/29/2020 at 3:46 PM, iMonrey said:

I'm not sure if the show expects its audience to be largely ignorant of figure skating technique or whether it expects them to simply hand-wave all of this.

I’m going with largely ignorant, being largely ignorant myself and not having noticed anything in particular amiss with the skating. The life-choices on the other hand, I find really alarming. 

• Love 2
On 1/29/2020 at 3:46 PM, iMonrey said:

At the end of the day I feel like the story should have chosen some other sport than ice skating. Or at the very least, as you suggest, have Kat and Justin be ice dancers rather than pairs skaters. Even the most casual skating fan can recognize that the skating on this show is mediocre at best. We see only the very most basic moves. Kat and Justin's "long program" seemed to last about 1 minute. 

I get that they don't want to overly rely on stunt doubles for the difficult moves but the show has a fundamental problem with its premise because of that. You have to kind of pretend that the skaters are doing much more difficult moves than they are off camera. Not to mention the absurd notion that Kat could learn throw jumps and twists in just a few months well enough to compete with them. 

This is like Make It or Break It on ice--MIOBI was ridiculously unlikely.  I don't know I guess it's better to pretend these easy moves are state-of-the-art skating as opposed to The Cutting Edge where they train horrifically dangerous tricks like the Pamchenko and wave it off by saying "is grey area." (And don't forget everyone skating at the Olympics under a spotlight! I still love TCE though. Toepick!)

• Love 2