Type keyword(s) to search

Speculation Without Spoilers

• Start Topic

Based on Michonne saying something in the previews about 'it may be 100 miles but it's a chance for safety and not just walking around' (not sure of the exact wording), are they going to take the fire truck and head north, or maybe head for a coast like T-Dog always wanted?  My sense of distance isn't so great.  Where could they get in 100 miles, or was that maybe just a round number she was throwing out?

Atlanta to Georgia's border with North Carolina is about a hundred or so miles.  Then again, we don't know how long they'd been walking (or driving the bus) when that was said.  (By the way, Washington from Atlanta is about 600 or so miles.)

Was she possibly talking about Shane's much desired Fort Benning?

We don't know where Michonne was when she said 100 miles, but Fort Benning is 100-ish miles south-southwest of Atlanta. Maybe now that everyone knows Eugene lied, Michonne wants to go to Fort Benning? But Morgan can't find them unless they head northeast toward Washington.

The exact quote is: "We're 100 miles away. What if it's someplace that we can be safe? It's a chance. Instead of just being out here, instead of just making it."

Maybe she's referring to Richmond, where Noah says he has family and they have walls?  Maybe Noah is touting the safety of other sane people who will be willing to let them in, now that they saved Noah from Grady?

Richmond, Virginia, is 100-ish miles south of Washington, DC. Maybe they take Noah home, and Michonne wants to keep going to DC? (I have no idea why, now that everyone knows Eugene's a liar.) But Richmond's 500 miles from Atlanta, which is farther than they've travelled in the past four & half season combined.

We don't know where Michonne was when she said 100 miles, but Fort Benning is 100-ish miles south-southwest of Atlanta. Maybe now that everyone knows Eugene lied, Michonne wants to go to Fort Benning? But Morgan can't find them unless they head northeast toward Washington.

The exact quote is: "We're 100 miles away. What if it's someplace that we can be safe? It's a chance. Instead of just being out here, instead of just making it."

Thanks for the quote!

All interesting ideas. My thought from the episode where Eugene 'fesses up was that they might still head to D.C., thinking that although he lied he might be onto something (not a cure but some kind of planned infrastructure) and a goal is better than wandering. I know then quite a few disagreed with me (which I don't mind--I could so easily be wrong), but I do still wonder if maybe D.C. still looks good, even without a cure.

Most felt D.C. would have fallen into chaos before anywhere else, which could also be true. ..

• Love 2

Perhaps we can go to the Speculation without Spoilers thread and write a new episode each week? Then compare our brilliant ideas to what actually happens when the show comes back.

Property of AMC/The Walking Dead/Season 5/Episode 9

Scene:  Forest, shrouded in mist. Sound of footsteps slowly crunching leaves; dark silhouette of mysterious figure stopping suddenly.

Close-up of metal tool digging in the leaves and dirt.

Shadow of figure leaning over to look.

Close-up: rolled-up paper is unfurled carefully by gloved hands

Extreme close-up: paper circular with faded print

"St. S(indecipherable letters) urch ac(blurred)ities for (blur) e week o (blur)"

Full shot: paper is smeared with excrement. It is apparent that it had been used for toilet paper. Or some rich prick paid a buttload of money for it.

Mysterious figure holds the paper up to masked face:

"sniff"

The figure brings another paper, shiny metallic foil, from a pocket.

"sniff"

He holds up the poop-covered paper again

"SNIFF"

then the foil wrapper we see a flash of red letters '' oo Clu"

"SNIFF"

We hear a soft chuckle, that rises to loud, unnerving laughter

Camera slowly backs away to reveal :the figure looks at the sky, examines a tree, nods, and begins to walk purposefully with the sun to his right shoulder

One last sound:

"Sniiiiiifffff!"

Theme music swells.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Scene II

Outside Grady Hospital

Rick Grimes and his group attempt to steal cars from the hospital parking lot, only to find that they were pre-loaded with walkers as a booby-trap.

Rick: "Sasha! Daryl! Get the body through the fence! Carl---take Judith and run! Everybody else--cover me!"

There is an ear-shattering squeal accompanied by flying bodies of walkers and thick clouds of black smoke.

Abraham Ford: " I been to eight battles in Fallujah and 2 Spring Breaks in Cabo and I never seen anybody drift a fire engine before!"

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Scene III

The group stands solemnly around an open grave; Daryl Dixon lowers a sheet-wrapped body into ground, feet first, then lastly the head wrapped in blood-soaked cloth, a few tendrils of blonde hair cascading onto the freshly dug soil.

SFX : squelch!

Father Gabriel: "and blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth..."

Close-up of shovels dumping dirt on body.

SFX Plop! Plop!

Father Gabriel: "and blessed are the merciful for they shall see God..."

Close-up of Rick tamping down dirt in a mound.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Scene IV

The group is stopped on the highway.  A sign behind them reads ATLANTA 18 MILES

Glenn: "Look, let's just accept it. We must be meant to stay. We haven't been able to get any farther since it all began. It's never going to get any better, like Maggie said...before she went catatonic."

Glenn looks sadly at his young wife staring into the void of her broken future.

Eugene: "Further permutations of existing hypotheticals increases the propensity of successful paradigms, vis-a-vis survival predicated on situational pre-catastrophic alternatives repurposed to real-time protocols"

Rick:: "What the fuck are you talking about?"

Tara: " He showed me on the map last night---a place a hundred miles away, where we could hunker down. Fight off enemies, stay alive!"

Daryl: ""Ain't no such place anymore."

Michonne: "We're 100 miles away. What if it's someplace we can be safe? It's a chance. Some place we could live. Instead of just being here; instead of just making it."

Tara: "It's called Sir Goony's Family Fun Center!"

*crickets*

Tara "It has water cannons--we coud use for defense. Miniature golf clubs that would make good weapons. There's go-karts...we could make runs while keeping a low profile. Just think: the SHTF right before school got out for summer vacation---the stockrooms must be loaded with everything we'd ever need to live on funnel cakes, corn dogs, and deep-fried dill pickles for the rest of our lives!"

Sasha: "Well if it's a place that charged admission they'd have a wall around it. That's a good start"

Close-up, Rick Grimes. He eyefucks the map.

Music plays over scene: Emily Kinney--"Blue Toothbrush" from her seminal album, "Blue Toothbrush"

• Love 8

True art!  100% hope that's exactly what happens!

The sound effects--brilliant.

And I can so completely see Tara actually using the abbreviation "SHTF" in her speech.  You've nailed the characters.  (Is it wrong that I'd really love to see them go to an amusement park?  Anyone ever play the Silent Hill games with the gory amusement park?  And the big pink bunny...?)

• Love 2

(Is it wrong that I'd really love to see them go to an amusement park?  Anyone ever play the Silent Hill games with the gory amusement park?  And the big pink bunny...?)

There really is a Sir Goony's---118 miles from Atlanta. I looked up amusement parks/tourist attractions within a normal day trip approx 100 miles from Atlanta.

• Love 1

kikismom HAHAHA that's brilliant!  How are you not a writer for this show?

A place that charges admission probably has a wall around it - that's actually good thinking.  

I'd love it if they stumbled upon an abandoned amusement park.  Something starts up the power, we see groaning zombies trapped going around in circles on the Dumbo ride...

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 4

I'd love it if they stumbled upon an abandoned amusement park.  Something starts up the power, we see groaning zombies trapped going around in circles on the Dumbo ride...

They have bumper cars--imagine the possibilities.

• Love 3

Remember---it's not a spoiler when it's just random thoughts NOT based on anything from on-set spies, surreptitious photography, "my cousin is on the camera crew" second hand confessions, spoiler sites etc.

Everybody has become afraid to speculate and be accused of spoileration.

I'm wondering if the nail-through-the-foot moment was a set-up for Father Pee Pants to turn and then take out one of the group?

CDB has been saying for 4 and a half seasons that everyone has to stay together; yet still there's always a circumstance that makes them separate. Bringing a baby on some of their missions was not possible.

If you leave Judith behind, she has to be with at least one other person to care for her; and more sensibly with a second adult to play defense. Maybe because FPP is such a shitty fighter, he and "?" stay with the baby somewhere temporarily---during which time he turns and something horrible happens that whittles down the inconvenient characters.

After all, he never told anyone about his foot. So they wouldn't be worried that he would just get blood poisoning and die. (Besides which, his natural state is to sweat profusely and babble gibberish, so how would you know he had a fever?)

Edited by kikismom

At this point I really don't see Rick leaving Judith behind. I thought maybe he might have done so when we first heard about Terminus - on the off chance that it WAS a safe haven, and Ty and Carol could have stayed with the kids there while the rest took Eugene to Washington. Now that both of those plans have been revealed as bad ideas, I can only see them moving forward to find an actual home base, for all of them. So I don't think he'd leave the baby, not for more than anything but a day or two run to check things out. And I definitely don't see him leaving her with FPP. 

If you're hinting at Judith being killed, I don't see that happening either. After last season's fakeout, I'd say she's pretty safe. I do, however, think that FPP will meet his demise by the end of the season. I just don't think he's cut out for this world. 

• Love 1

I get it if we're talking about a Rick in real life making choices, unfortunately TPTB are making all the character's choices.

I did mean only for a brief temporary time, maybe not even days but for the day Rick might leave Judith and some others holed up while he and Daryl/Abraham/etc checked out a building or got supplies (I had not meant moving on without her).

As far as Rick leaving Judith with FPP, he kinda did--adding other people which I think would be the scenario. Maybe Tara or Carol or Rosita or Maggie?

But the thing is that what Rick would want comes up against the producer's needs: they can't keep the baby that size forever. Especially with Carl having shot up a foot or more in height.  She would need to be teething and toddling and starting to talk---which complicates storylines. (unless they pretend the baby will be a speechless gumming child in a Snugli all her life).

Viewers would be mad if she dies, but since they've already upset us with Sophia, Herschel etc. that wouldn't bother them.

I guess I still consider the show to be plot-driven; not character-driven. (No matter what they try to make us believe in interviews). That's why a lot of inexplicable---for a particular character---shit has happened. They don't care as much about a believable intent of Rick as much as they want to shoehorn certain set-pieces in to a season. If your character suddenly gets in the way of that---SURPRISE!

As silly as this sounds, it's like the reason we never see stray cats.

We should see more of them than dogs.

Cats could evade walkers better, leap out of reach higher and climb trees and just come down to hunt. Cats can be quiet when danger comes close. But that doesn't matter as much as the fact that the TV industry has lots of dog trainers but not so many trained cats; and cats are barely usable for indoor scenes. A cat outdoors would probably take off before the cameras rolled. Real life logic is trumped by the exigencies of doing 40 or more takes of the same scene.

Cats are inconvenient. Sleepy babies are workable but complicated...talking-walking-mood-shifting toddlers are a complication too far for an action show.

I hope you're right though.

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 4

I get it if we're talking about a Rick in real life making choices, unfortunately TPTB are making all the character's choices.

I did mean only for a brief temporary time, maybe not even days but for the day Rick might leave Judith and some others holed up while he and Daryl/Abraham/etc checked out a building or got supplies (I had not meant moving on without her).

As far as Rick leaving Judith with FPP, he kinda did--adding other people which I think would be the scenario. Maybe Tara or Carol or Rosita or Maggie?

But the thing is that what Rick would want comes up against the producer's needs: they can't keep the baby that size forever. Especially with Carl having shot up a foot or more in height.  She would need to be teething and toddling and starting to talk---which complicates storylines. (unless they pretend the baby will be a speechless gumming child in a Snugli all her life).

Viewers would be mad if she dies, but since they've already upset us with Sophia, Herschel etc. that wouldn't bother them.

I guess I still consider the show to be plot-driven; not character-driven. (No matter what they try to make us believe in interviews). That's why a lot of inexplicable---for a particular character---shit has happened. They don't care as much about a believable intent of Rick as much as they want to shoehorn certain set-pieces in to a season. If your character suddenly gets in the way of that---SURPRISE!

As silly as this sounds, it's like the reason we never see stray cats.

We should see more of them than dogs.

Cats could evade walkers better, leap out of reach higher and climb trees and just come down to hunt. Cats can be quiet when danger comes close. But that doesn't matter as much as the fact that the TV industry has lots of dog trainers but not so many trained cats; and cats are barely usable for indoor scenes. A cat outdoors would probably take off before the cameras rolled. Real life logic is trumped by the exigencies of doing 40 or more takes of the same scene.

Cats are inconvenient. Sleepy babies are workable but complicated...talking-walking-mood-shifting toddlers are a complication too far for an action show.

I hope you're right though.

Good post. 

A silly side point to that... Rick and Carl better do their best to keep Tyrese alive and well for as long as possible.  With Beth gone, he is the lone active soldier on diaper duty.

And on a non-sequitor... how the hell is that guy still alive?!  They can't possible drill into us the fact that he's as anti-violence as can be, for a guy as big and as rugged looking as he is.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 1

Remember---it's not a spoiler when it's just random thoughts NOT based on anything from on-set spies, surreptitious photography, "my cousin is on the camera crew" second hand confessions, spoiler sites etc.

Everybody has become afraid to speculate and be accused of spoileration.

I'm wondering if the nail-through-the-foot moment was a set-up for Father Pee Pants to turn and then take out one of the group?

CDB has been saying for 4 and a half seasons that everyone has to stay together; yet still there's always a circumstance that makes them separate. Bringing a baby on some of their missions was not possible.

If you leave Judith behind, she has to be with at least one other person to care for her; and more sensibly with a second adult to play defense. Maybe because FPP is such a shitty fighter, he and "?" stay with the baby somewhere temporarily---during which time he turns and something horrible happens that whittles down the inconvenient characters.

After all, he never told anyone about his foot. So they wouldn't be worried that he would just get blood poisoning and die. (Besides which, his natural state is to sweat profusely and babble gibberish, so how would you know he had a fever?)

Prayin' Gabe take out a member of CDB? Pull-eez. I doubt he could take out the trash.

I see FPP as (a) sponging off the group's protection until he finds something better (like a larger group), then (b) running around bad-mouthing CDB to anyone who will listen - or who can't get away - about how they're such horrible horrible people, and living with them was SUCH a trial for someone as good and pure as himself....

• Love 1

I think FPP's cowardice is probably going to do something to cost the group (don't think it'll cost em Judith, though) and someone else from the group will put him down.

As long as it's not Carol becoming the designated snuffer-outer.

• Love 1

I think FPP's cowardice is probably going to do something to cost the group (don't think it'll cost em Judith, though) and someone else from the group will put him down. 

Oh...are we gonna do the "Carl-baby Did A Bad Bad Thing" again?

Holy over-styling Batman! Sasha and Tara look like they're doing fragrance ads and Carol looks like she's posing for More magazine.

Not going to try to read any plot or character development into those portraits except that I like Nurse GiGi's speculation about Tyrese.

• Love 2

I was assuming that when we next saw Judith she'd be two or three years old already. But the comments about how that might actually complicate filming are valid. I think I see a way they can sneak around it, though. 

Have Carl give his hat to Judith. It will cover her entire head, allowing them to choose from a whole stable full of imported third world toddlers when filming. This one's not acting right? No problem. Give him or her a nap, take the hat back, and put it over the head of another toddler. Hell, they could even poke a couple eyeholes into it, like with Donald on "Fat Albert."

This will also be a great way to show what a prodigy Judith is. One actor could be a great tap dancer. One could play the violin. And one could be really great with a bullwhip. (Don't ask where they bought that kid.)

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 4

It does look like Abe may've lost some weight, but yeah, Ty found it. Maggie does look like she's about to go a little nuts. To me, Rick is perfect. (see what I did there?)

Hell, they could even poke a couple eyeholes into it, like with Donald on "Fat Albert."

Perfect. I used to love that show.

Edited by mandolin
  • Love 2

I think Rick looks completely insane....

He is starting to have the same look about him as did the poor hermit, sleeping peacefully through the ZA in his little cabin, til the buzzkills barged in and Michonne murdered him.

There's a resemblance, but Mr. Hermit was much better groomed:

Ffu4mF3.png

• Love 4

It does look like Abe may've lost some weight, but yeah, Ty found it.

I have wondered now and then how everyone else seems to be stripped down to whipcord and and ol' Ty keeps packin' on the pounds.

Maybe sitting around behind closed doors while the others expend all those calories killing zombies and cannibals? Either that, or he's chowing down on all the food while everyone is otherwise engaged.

• Love 4

So weird; I've been thinking about him lately.

(Which is sad, huh? I'm thinking about a fictional character---and I pick a hermit.)

the poor hermit, sleeping peacefully through the ZA in his little cabin, til the buzzkills barged in and Michonne murdered him

Ffu4mF3.png

I still don't understand how that never got mentioned again.

If you wouldn't want to be outnumbered by complete strangers who are armed and break into your home, and murder you for just holding up a weapon to defend yourself, why is it okay to do that to other people? He wasn't bothering them. They started it.

Bad karma.

Right after that the Governor returned...and did what?

Karma, baby.

• Love 2

I have wondered now and then how everyone else seems to be stripped down to whipcord and and ol' Ty keeps packin' on the pounds.

Maybe sitting around behind closed doors while the others expend all those calories killing zombies and cannibals? Either that, or he's chowing down on all the food while everyone is otherwise engaged.

They need to grab that knit cap off his head; there's gotta be a reason he wears it all the time.

How many Hostess Twinkies can you hide under it?

• Love 3

They need to grab that knit cap off his head; there's gotta be a reason he wears it all the time.

How many Hostess Twinkies can you hide under it?

About 230 pounds worth stacked a little shy of 6 feet high, it looks like.

• Love 7

If you wouldn't want to be outnumbered by complete strangers who are armed and break into your home, and murder you for just holding up a weapon to defend yourself, why is it okay to do that to other people?

I need to watch again, but I think he had actually put the weapon down(?) and was heading for the door when Michonne ran him through, probably so they could use him as zombie bait. Which they did.

If THOSE people broke into my house while I was sleeping, I'd grab a weapon too.

• Love 3

I need to watch again, but I think he had actually put the weapon down(?) and was heading for the door when Michonne ran him through, probably so they could use him as zombie bait. Which they did.

If THOSE people broke into my house while I was sleeping, I'd grab a weapon too.

YES, and Ty did not look okay about it and also when she did it the hermit's firearm went off accidentally (a "Dawnshot") and nearly killed Daryl, who had a prize look on his face. Again, surprised no one said a word except it was right before they all had to scatter.

I speculate... that if Maggie gets mad at Daryl for losing Beth, maybe all the group will start going over grudges? Or will they give everyone a "new start" as they intended?

• Love 2

YES, and Ty did not look okay about it and also when she did it the hermit's firearm went off accidentally (a "Dawnshot") and nearly killed Daryl, who had a prize look on his face. Again, surprised no one said a word except it was right before they all had to scatter.

I speculate... that if Maggie gets mad at Daryl for losing Beth, maybe all the group will start going over grudges? Or will they give everyone a "new start" as they intended?

If there's a big round of "airing of grievances," it could get really ugly.

• Love 3

I speculate... that if Maggie gets mad at Daryl for losing Beth, maybe all the group will start going over grudges?

THAT would make for a great ep.

RIck: "Hey Michonne, don't you think that was a little cold? I mean, we could have taken the hermit down without you, you know, running a sword right through him!"

Maggie: "Look whose talking, Mr. "I like to Split Skulls with Machetes" for the lulz. Instead of shooting Gareth's fingers off, why didn't you shoot him in the head? But noooo, that's not so much fun, is it?"

Carol: "I'd rather not talk about head shots. Let's go look at the flowers instead."

Any more to add?

• Love 3

I read somewhere Michael Cudlitz said he got the role on The Walking Dead without a lot of notice and he really would have liked some time to hit the gym and get into the kind of shape he felt Abraham would be in. He said that he had to start out filming kinda 'soft' and work out along with filming, so he predicted we might notice Abe looking more like a soldier as time went on.

OK, here's the article. It claims to have spoilers for season 4, the Terminus plot, so nothing is spoilery if you're caught up on the show. If you'd still prefer not to hit any article that claims 'spoilers' to be on the safe side here's the relevant passages:

TVF: After watching this first episode, you look thinner, Michael. What’s going on there?

MC: I said to Scott, Abraham is coming in as a comic book character, and I have always been fit and in shape but I wanted to do them a little more justice to kind of meet me a little half way. It’s not easy for a 50-year-old man.

TVF: What was it that helped you lean down?

MC: Pure fear, basically. [laughs] I’m very careful about what I eat most of the time. I could be better at it, but I'm doing what I can do.

http://www.tvfanatic.com/2014/10/the-walking-dead-spoilers-michael-cudlitz-talks-terminus-future/

Edited by BrokenRemote

I predict that the next episode will start with Abraham walking out of the bathroom and saying "Wow, I feel like I lost fifty pounds!"

Could have lost 200 if he'd have hit Eugene harder.

• Love 5

Alright my unspoiled brothers and sisters, tonight's the big night for launching the back half of Season 5. We've all seen cases of the stars and show runners talking of big changes and then the actual changes end up not being so big, but Andrew Lincoln has been quoted as saying the rest of season is a "radically different show" and "fucking nuts." So if we give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's not wildly exaggerating, what could these statements mean?

Theories?

- CDB stumbles onto a town that was spared the ZA and the crew moves in and the show becomes a domestic drama ... until one of them gets stabbed in the heart with a letter opener and proceeds to turn the rest of the non-CDBellians.

- Judith starts to talk (voiced by Honey Boo Boo) and becomes the new boss of the group.

- Serious suggestions ... I don't know where to begin. You?

- CDB stumbles onto a town that was spared the ZA and the crew moves in and the show becomes a domestic drama ... until one of them gets stabbed in the heart with a letter opener and proceeds to turn the rest of the non-CDBellians.

If they end up in another place that's run by a crazy that they have to fight, I'm going to be the one stabbing people with a letter opener.

• Love 7

Maybe Tyrese and Father Gabriel will suddenly grow a pair (or two) and take over leadership of the group, while Rick and Daryl fight over Maggie, and Glenn curls up in a corner and cries. Michonne, Carl, and Judith take off on their own. 

Seriously, I have no idea. I think this is the first time I have not spent the break obsessively thinking about what's next. I just hope it IS fucking nuts. In a good way. Because I cannot take anymore lollipops and ironing.

• Love 3

See, I actually thought the lollipops were fucking nuts, in a good way. It didn't really grate on me until we had to start taking Dawn's (alleged) layers and motivations seriously, in spite of the fact that her whole management plan was obviously stolen from the Underwear Gnomes on "South Park."

• Love 1

So Aaron looks like our first glimpse of the "radically different show" that Andrew Lincoln referred to. His appearance likely explains the pictures of Lincoln cleanshaven

So they'll be heading toward some kind of settlement but

- what will it be like? Is there one leader?

- what are there food sources?

- how secure is it?

- how full sevice is their salon?

- and how does Aaron know Rick's name? Did he have drones disguised as birds following CDB?

• Love 1

I came here to touch on people questioning why Aaron knew Rick's name back in the episode thread. Some people had said he must have been with the Governor's old group, or someone from ATL....to know Rick. I don't think that's the case. I think he's clearly been stalking them. He left that water there, when he knew no one would be around to see him. He has been watching, and paying attention. I'm sure it wouldn't take long to overhear some name's. 

The question is - is he really a "friend" or is he "bad"? As much as I would like them to finally happen across a newbie who's NOT evil, I am not holding much hope for that scenario. I'm sure there WOULD be settlements of good people. But, given how dark and bleak it is out there, would you really be going out of your way to bring new people in? I sure as fuck wouldn't. The last time we saw a settlement actively trying to lure new people, it's because they were eating them. So yea, I'd tie that dude to a tree and get the fuck out of there. 

Of course, then I start thinking - there's probably others out there. Would they really send ONE dude to scout all on his own? Unlikely. CDB better watch their backs. 

• Love 1