Type keyword(s) to search

Speculation Without Spoilers

• Start Topic

Who was driving the car that Daryl saw, though? Noah clearly ran right past them, he's on foot. Did the rapey cops really go that far out again, to find more laundry folders? Had they been silently watching Carol for a bit, but sped off when they realized a man was with her?

I think if they came across Noah and he told them what goes down there, Carol might just be doing the Trojan horse thing - while Daryl and Noah go back to get the others for re-enforcements. 

Daryl could be depositing Noah - and his newly acquired limp - back at the church

Look, I know it's a T V show, and we are asked to suspend our disbelief all the time (hmm, people who come back to life to feed on the living), but what are the chances Daryl/Carol would run into Noah?  I admit, that's what I first thought, but what are the odds???  But if it's not Noah that Daryl has, who the hell is it?

And why do they (the bad guys) drive around at night?  Aren't the chances of running into a herd greater, if for no other reason that you can't see as well (witness the last show's night-time scenes -- even the audience couldn't see what was going on.)

Can't explain the logic of the night driving. It makes sense for Daryl and Carol because they're in pursuit of Beth but not for the lollicops. It's an unnecessary risk.

It's highly improbable that Daryl and Carol would meet up with Noah if this were the real world, but in the showverse, at least they're plausibly heading toward each other with Noah fleeing the hospital and Daryl and Carol driving toward it. But, yeah, still pretty coincidental. And if it's not Noah, it's going to be a total curveball.

Edited by lulee
  • Love 2

To find the answer, one must first accept the showrunners priorities:

• must cut down number of principal characters
  • must not have disabled people on road trip.
  • must resolve Bethyl/Caryl fan war before it eats the show
  • must add dimension of creepiness and hope and gore and romance in smallest amount of time

I propose that Beth gets bitten on neck by walker, Carol gets shot in side by cops,  then Dr. Moral Ambiguity cuts them each down the middle and sews the 2 halves together. This :

• fulfills all the goals above
  • keeps Daryl and Noah from killing him if the girls died
  • adds exciting new possibilities for story arcs!
  • chance to poach viewers from Game of Thrones
  • explains that Mona Lisa cringe expression on Daryl's face when he can't answer Michonne and just says "C'mon out!"
  • Love 6

And will we still be heading to DC?  I know if the writers follow the comics we will.  But, it'll be colder there; there are more people there, meaning more dead people there; and we know Eugene's story is for shit.

They now know there are nuts (living) out there, and heading into a more populated area would seem to increase the odds of running into even more nuts.

Why not, as so many people have suggested, hunker down in the relatively mild climate of the south?  They know the area.  They've already killed a lot of the walkers in the area.  They've already killed a number of nuts (living) in their area.  Find a defensible building and wait. 

Or head to Florida (or the coast of Georgia) and find an island.  (Didn't Andrea want to to go to the coast?)

• Love 2

And will we still be heading to DC?  I know if the writers follow the comics we will.  But, it'll be colder there; there are more people there, meaning more dead people there; and we know Eugene's story is for shit.

They now know there are nuts (living) out there, and heading into a more populated area would seem to increase the odds of running into even more nuts.

Why not, as so many people have suggested, hunker down in the relatively mild climate of the south?  They know the area.  They've already killed a lot of the walkers in the area.  They've already killed a number of nuts (living) in their area.  Find a defensible building and wait. 

Or head to Florida (or the coast of Georgia) and find an island.  (Didn't Andrea want to to go to the coast?)

Maybe. T-Dogg definitely wanted to go to the coast.

Now that they know Eugene's a fraud and there's no real evidence that DC holds promise, they ought to cancel the trip. They ought to make a settlement. Probably won't though.

• Love 2

T-Dogg and Michonne both mentioned the coast at one point. It'd be a cool location to see.

I think I'm also ready for some community building, and this is where I have an issue with the way the show is going now, with the single-arc episodes...it's basically been a matter of days since the prison fell. For us, it's been almost a YEAR. The characters may not be emotionally ready to try to fortify a place and build there lives again because they haven't had a chance to recover from anything. WE HAVE.

• Love 3

Rick's always been for finding a safe place to hunker down and with Judith I think that's a priority.  Being on the road is dangerous (duh) because you never know what's around the next corner (double duh).  Will it be Walkers or the Joe's-of-the-world?  Personally, I think there'd be more Joe's than there would be Rick's out in the world, but I'm a pretty pessimistic guy.

So, settling down, making a fort, growing my own food, makes sense.  As much I didn't like the Governor, he had it right (well, the heads in the aquarium not so much).  And even Gareth (and I really didn't like him).

Settle down and live.

People will point to the prison to prove me wrong.  But that was the Governor who brought that down.  (True, I wouldn't want to live in a prison.  Woodbury seemed much . . . homier.)  But if Joe had come by the prison, there's no way Rick would have let him in.  And he didn't have enough men to do much damage.  And as evil as Gareth was, I don't see him making raids on the prison.  He might pick off people who wandered out for runs.  Still . . .

• Love 4

I agree with staying in place somewhere.

There's a reason human societies became agrarian and nomadic societies died out--even without the dead rising it's a terrible way to live.

Survival increases by being in charge of resources instead of the resources being in charge of you.

Florida started with 20 million people as opposed to 10 million in Georgia. Florida has only one way for people to travel on land--north. I would never head there.

The coast sounds pretty but pretty is useless. In America 65% of the population lives near coasts and waterfronts. Those people have already thought of it. An island is ridiculous because you would have never ending invasions while you had little chance of growing food or raising much livestock or getting much fresh water. Why do people like T-Dawg or Michonne think millions of other people wouldn't have tried it already? Even by the time the prison fell.

For those who say they would get a water purifier and grow alfalfa sprouts and catch fish...the more people to do that, the less people for defense. So you need a bigger population...on a piece of rock that doesn't get any bigger. Meanwhile the sea is more and more crowded with the hundreds of thousands of ships and boats that have run out of fuel or supplies and need to make landfall. Hell no. The math will never work.

The reason they have failed at keepng safe in one place has nothing to do with a stable campsite being a bad idea. It's all their fault really.

The prison would have been fine if they didn't have 5 people heading out the damn gate in cars and jeeps and trucks and on horseback making an attention-getting parade every day. What use was trying to track down the Governor on horseback? Every time you go out you risk leading a new enemy back to your camp when you return. For what? She also brought back some comic books? Stale M&M's? I like Michonne but that was not justifiable.

At the prison and the farm they had every thing they needed except enough logic to understand it has to be quieter and less visually obvious that a community is living there. Damn, those fences should have been covered with fast'growing kudzu, they needed to hide some vehicles off-site under cover, stop using the same damn gate (that prison had 5 or 6 ways in/out. No shelter, permanent or temporary, is going to be safe if you make an big spectacle for the whole world to notice.

Medicine isn't bad because an idiot overdoses on it, education isn't bad because some teacher makes or molests students, cars aren't bad because some moron drove one into a tree. Staying in place isn't a bad idea because "look how it's worked out so far". These people carry their own self-invented shitstorm everywhere they go. That makes the show interesting...but exasperating.

If Washington has one of the worst murder rape theft and assault rates right now...why would you head there when civilized behavior breaks down?

There's also a reason why the US govt. plans for post-disaster scenarios all involve getting the hell away from D.C. If there are still people who can fix things, they left that burg long before us peons would get the evacuation order. They save their own asses first, always--just like the Termites. And their first step is always to get away from Washington D.C.

• Love 6

I agree with most of what you say, kikismom, but I do think there's a certain viability to islands.  (Besides, are you saying that T-Dog's wrong?!?  Dead, yes, but not wrong.)  I grew up in Florida and know the Georgia coast.  I know some great islands that are now connected by bridge.  Blow the bridge and keep several boats docked at the island.  Then, make runs in the boats.  Grow food on the island.  Fish.  Besides, I don't think Walkers can swim, but I guess if they can then we'll have a sequel: The Swimming Dead.

True, once you have yourself a swanky living place you're inviting all kinds of trouble.  But I like the prospects of defending an island against crazed psychos more than, say, a lone building.  On an island, with a boat, you could have someone dress up like Captain Jack Sparrow.  I mean, where else can you do that?

• Love 4

I agree with most of what you say, kikismom, but I do think there's a certain viability to islands.  (Besides, are you saying that T-Dog's wrong?!?  Dead, yes, but not wrong.)  I grew up in Florida and know the Georgia coast.  I know some great islands that are now connected by bridge.  Blow the bridge and keep several boats docked at the island.  Then, make runs in the boats.  Grow food on the island.  Fish.  Besides, I don't think Walkers can swim, but I guess if they can then we'll have a sequel: The Swimming Dead.

True, once you have yourself a swanky living place you're inviting all kinds of trouble.  But I like the prospects of defending an island against crazed psychos more than, say, a lone building.  On an island, with a boat, you could have someone dress up like Captain Jack Sparrow.  I mean, where else can you do that?

Or at least a Florida Key, good protection without having to have a huge ship to ferry you back and forth.  Alcatraz would be my destination, but if your boat ever sunk, you'd be screwed...

I was actually thinking about Key West.  Think of all the food and booze that's there. 

"Look -- there's a herd of walkers coming." 

"Eh, mañana."

And so life would go on slowly and leisurely under the tranquil sun.

• Love 1

Can't explain the logic of the night driving. It makes sense for Daryl and Carol because they're in pursuit of Beth but not for the lollicops. It's an unnecessary risk.

I can think of two reasons:

• The walkers don't appear to be as active; lack of stimulus, I suppose - less able to see something (people or animals moving, for example) which might set them off.
  • If they were driving around during daylight hours amongst the camouflaging wreckage and detritus of society's collapse, they could pass within 50 feet of potential "people in need of rescuing" and never know it.  At night, however?  Just look for the lights - campfires, flashlights, etc.  Light means people.

The coast sounds pretty but pretty is useless.

I can think of one major advantage - one helluva big escape route available at all times. 30,000 rambling, shambling retirees coming at you? Swim away.

If Washington has one of the worst murder rape theft and assault rates right now...why would you head there when civilized behavior breaks down?

On the plus side, I bet DC's post-ZA rape and theft numbers are WAY down.

There's also a reason why the US govt. plans for post-disaster scenarios all involve getting the hell away from D.C. If there are still people who can fix things, they left that burg long before us peons would get the evacuation order. They save their own asses first, always--just like the Termites. And their first step is always to get away from Washington D.C.

Most of those disaster scenarios are are based upon the premise that in case of a non-natural disaster (such as an enemy attack), DC would be a high-profile target.  I don't think the zombies are that organized OR that political.  :)

Most of those disaster scenarios are are based upon the premise that in case of a non-natural disaster (such as an enemy attack), DC would be a high-profile target.  I don't think the zombies are that organized OR that political.  :)

If these walkers had a preference for brains, as seen in some zombie movies, they'd starve inside the Beltway.

• Love 7

I was actually thinking about Key West.  Think of all the food and booze that's there. 

"Look -- there's a herd of walkers coming." 

"Eh, mañana."

And so life would go on slowly and leisurely under the tranquil sun.

Have Tequilia Skinrise at Shambling Joe's bar...  good times...

I can think of two reasons:

The walkers don't appear to be as active; lack of stimulus, I suppose - less able to see something (people or animals moving, for example) which might set them off.
If they were driving around during daylight hours amongst the camouflaging wreckage and detritus of society's collapse, they could pass within 50 feet of potential "people in need of rescuing" and never know it.  At night, however?  Just look for the lights - campfires, flashlights, etc.  Light means people.

Also, I think there would be more people needing "rescued" at night, given that walkers and bad guys would be harder to see.

From S05.E05: Self Help

I'm beginning to think that Maggie has got a stash of something tucked away. Because she's walking around with this moony grin on her face and it's not making any sense. I love Glenn so much and I was proud of how he conducted himself. But I didn't really care.

My theories (in no particular order):

a) Maggie is dead inside and about to go dark, or

b) Maggie is pregnant, or

c) Maggie is going to die.

• Love 2

I think if Beth dies, Glenn and Maggie will survive. So here's hoping. I'm not heavily invested in Maggie, but I'll take her over Beth. And even though Glenn has been lame off and on for a few seasons, he's still one of the original crew and I love him. 

• Love 2

In rewatching the early shows, I remembered how close Rick and Glenn were.  Then, it became Rick and Daryl, and poor Glenn got swept up in Maggie's story.  It's kind of unfortunate because I think Glenn brought something to the table: his scrappiness.  Yes, Daryl has that too, but with Daryl it's different.  Daryl's almost become superhuman, whereas with Glenn you weren't always sure he'd be able to deliver, but he usually did.  When Daryl and Rick are together, you almost feel they can get out of anything, but when it was Rick and Glenn you weren't sure, so there was that tension and apprehension.

Edited by JackONeill
  • Love 5

I disagree. I think if Beth dies, then Glenn will, too. It will make for a lot of drama with Maggie, not to mention drive a she-has-no-one type of plot. Though she doesn't seem to be too upset about Beth being gone.

So - if Glenn dies - will Maggie find out she's pregnant with his child before his death, or after?

<cue "As The Zombie Apocalypse Turns" theme music....>

• Love 2

So - if Glenn dies - will Maggie find out she's pregnant with his child before his death, or after?

<cue "As The Zombie Apocalypse Turns" theme music....>

I predict she will find out before he dies, try to come up with a cute idea to tell him, and then Glenn dies before she gets a chance to actually tell him. That, or Glenn's mortally wounded and she whispers that she's pregnant right before his last breath. Cue tear drop running off Maggie's face onto Glenn's.

Glenn's mortally wounded and she whispers that she's pregnant right before his last breath. Cue tear drop running off Maggie's face onto Glenn's.

Then Glenn gasps "Is there anything else you need to tell me?" and

Maggie mumbles, "Um...me and Bob..."

Cue tear drop running down Glenn's face.

• Love 3

Maybe I'll wait until the "midseason finale" (such an annoying term) to speculate on all the survival odds, but at this point, I think that:

Glenn or Carol (but not both) will die by the end of the season.

One of the trio of Maggie, Glenn, and Beth will die.

Corollaries: if it's Glenn or Beth, things look better for Carol. If it's Maggie, things look worse.
Either Tyrese or Eugene will sacrifice himself.

• Love 1

I like Lulee's chain of thought. However, I think:

- One of Beth or Carol (but not both) will die before or at the midseason finale.

- Maggie may die (chances of dying increases if it's Carol who dies rather than Beth). That her "symbol" in the opening credits is the burning photo of herself - not a good omen.

- Glenn will not die (killing the only Asian in the cast will require a token Asian replacement - that the replacement is a token will be too painfully obvious).

- Carl may die at season end due to growth spurt (same reason Walt got kicked off Lost. The actor will have grown by 4 years, while in show it's only been 1.5 years).

- Doctor may join CDB (25% chance).

- Lollipop cops may have been the ones that executed the Vatos in order to take med supplies from nursing home to hospital.

• Love 4

I vote No on Carl dying.  He's too integral, IMO, to the story going forward.  He's growing up in the ZA world and is being trained as a future leader by his father.  I think Carl has lots more plot and character development in him.  As to the actor, Chandler Riggs is definitely growing up and the show seems willing to roll with it.  One of these days, Rick will look up at Carl to deliver a piece of advice and I'll just pretend I didn't notice that Riggs is six inches taller than his TV dad.

I'm concerned about Maggie.  I really liked her, but she seems such a static character now.  She isn't worried about her missing sister, which really bothers me.  Even though it's fruitless, I'd like to see some concern on her part.  Her bonding with Eugene bothered me too because Maggie used to see through BS.  She was the only one of her family who killed Walkers (with a baseball bat!)  She and Glen seem to be in a holding pattern.  They trekked along with Abraham but that didn't really tell me anything new about their characters.

I know it's futile to hope that any upcoming deaths this season are redshirts.  I don't want to lose my core characters. 

• Love 5

Then Glenn gasps "Is there anything else you need to tell me?" and

Maggie mumbles, "Um...me and Bob..."

Cue tear drop running down Glenn's face.

A dying Glenn gasps: We should name the baby after your sister

Maggie: Who?

• Love 11

I also see either Beth or Carol dying by mid-season. If it's Carol, I see Glenn or Maggie going before the end of the season. 

I also don't think Carl is going anywhere. IMO, he is going to be the final survivor. I think he's the safest cast member, safer than Rick. I see Rick dying at the end of the series, or very close to the end, and passing the torch to Carl.

I think a redshirt death this season may be Noah.

WHEN is Morgan going to show his face again??? I need me some Morgan.

• Love 4

I think when Rick dies is going to be up AL more so than the writers. From Fox Mulder to Gil Grissom, leads of hit shows often get this syndrome by the 8th or 9th season at the latest that they want to go do other things.

• Love 2

WHEN is Morgan going to show his face again??? I need me some Morgan.

He did a great job in the two (or was it three?) episodes he was in. I like how they buttoned it up when he was in crazytown though, and don't see the point in bringing him back. I mean really, what would be the odds that he would still be around. Plus it would emphasize just how little distance our crew has traveled in what? 1 1/2 years?

He did a great job in the two (or was it three?) episodes he was in. I like how they buttoned it up when he was in crazytown though, and don't see the point in bringing him back. I mean really, what would be the odds that he would still be around. Plus it would emphasize just how little distance our crew has traveled in what? 1 1/2 years?

You must have missed him in the season premiere. It happened after the credits, so I think some people might have turned it off or lost it to the DVR. But he was back, in the woods - he walked right past the sign Rick had smeared. So I'm guessing we will see him again at some point this season. I just hope we don't have to wait til after the mid-season break.

• Love 2

So we know now that Carol was not a Trojan Horse when brought into Grady but truly injured. What if she's so injured that the group arrives to rescue her and Beth but can't take her without threatening her life.

I don't think the show will actually go there, but what if CDB arrives to rescue them and they take out the lollicops, but then Beth and the doctor stay to help Carol recover?

If it were reality, I'd say that it wasn't a high speed crash so maybe she's just really banged up, but I'm not so sure with her being out cold, especially with 2 crashes in 1 day.

Edited by lulee

I think Carl has lots more plot and character development in him.  As to the actor, Chandler Riggs is definitely growing up and the show seems willing to roll with it.  One of these days, Rick will look up at Carl to deliver a piece of advice and I'll just pretend I didn't notice that Riggs is six inches taller than his TV dad.

It's only been about one and a half years, and our little Carl has grown (and is still growing, rapidly) into a man.  Seriously, I wonder if TPTB will do anything about that, as in (god forbid) recast the role.  I, as one audience member, can go along with it; I can overlook the fact that Carl who was once only barely eye level with Rick's belt buckle is now looking him straight in the eye (not yet, of course, but he'll be there shortly).  But will everybody?!?

Edited by JackONeill
  • Love 1

You must have missed him in the season premiere. It happened after the credits, so I think some people might have turned it off or lost it to the DVR. But he was back, in the woods - he walked right past the sign Rick had smeared. So I'm guessing we will see him again at some point this season. I just hope we don't have to wait til after the mid-season break.

Yeah, I did see that. I was just expressing that I think it would be better to let Morgan's story end back in crazytown. I mean what are they going to do with him? Keep him crazy or did he miraculously regain his sanity? Will he be friend or foe? It seems like pandering, desperation writing to me.

I was just expressing that I think it would be better to let Morgan's story end back in crazytown. I mean what are they going to do with him? Keep him crazy or did he miraculously regain his sanity? Will he be friend or foe?

Doesn't matter. What they'll do with him is tell him "Just do that Lennie James stuff and thangs you do so well." And it'll be awesome, as always. ;)

• Love 5

I think it would be better to let Morgan's story end back in crazytown. I mean what are they going to do with him? Keep him crazy or did he miraculously regain his sanity? Will he be friend or foe? It seems like pandering, desperation writing to me.

Since this is the speculation thread, I speculate that Morgan will have an age-appropriate relationship with Carol (both actors are 49).

Other possibilities: he's Noah's uncle, the lollicops stole his weapons, and/or he'll have a relationship with Michonne.

• Love 1

I think it's quite possible that Morgan regained his sanity. Rick went crazy after losing Lori, was hallucinating and having phantom phone calls. But he made it back. Of course, he had other people around him who cared, to help bring him back. I'm not sure what could have happened to Morgan, what pivotal moment would have dragged him from his hidey-hole. It appears he is on some sort of mission, tracking someone. Perhaps some bad guys fucked with his fortress of insanity and he was so incensed he decided to go after them. He will probably run into Rick and co. at some point. I really don't think he will be a "foe" to CDB. I really don't care what they do either, as Lennie James will bring the awesome like he always does. 

• Love 5

Remember when Glenn took the photo of Magge when they were in the guard tower? He told her it might be all he has of her one day. That's why I think she dies before he does.

maybe, but it was already true when they were separated post-prison attack. Edited by lulee
  • Love 1

I think it's quite possible that Morgan regained his sanity. Rick went crazy after losing Lori, was hallucinating and having phantom phone calls. But he made it back. Of course, he had other people around him who cared, to help bring him back. I'm not sure what could have happened to Morgan, what pivotal moment would have dragged him from his hidey-hole. It appears he is on some sort of mission, tracking someone. Perhaps some bad guys fucked with his fortress of insanity and he was so incensed he decided to go after them. He will probably run into Rick and co. at some point. I really don't think he will be a "foe" to CDB. I really don't care what they do either, as Lennie James will bring the awesome like he always does. 

Didn't Rick leave a map for Morgan, just in case he changed his crazypants mind about wanting to join them at the prison?  If this is correct, I'm assuming he followed the map, showed up at the blowed-up-real-good prison, and continued tracking them.  Now, would he have gone to Terminus, or avoided it due to Rick's defacing of the sign?  Rick does leaves smoldering ruins behind like a trail of breadcrumbs so Morgan wouldn't even have to be a expert tracker like Derle....

• Love 2

Didn't they later burn that photo?

Yes, they burnt it in the tunnel when they reunited on the way to Terminus.  It now shows up in the opening credits. In order it goes; .357 Python for AL/Rick, Angel wing jacket for NR/Daryl, Watch for SY/Glenn, the burning photo for LC/Maggie. Everyone else gets generic backdrops when their name comes up except for MMB. (Why I said Maggie’s symbol was a bad omen, heh.)

• Love 1

Actually, Michael Cudlitz's name is showed with the baby grave marker from The Grove, which is really random and weird. I wouldn't say Chandler's is in front of a "generic" backdrop; it's the "Away With You" wall from Clear. And I actually find that one fitting, because he was one of the small group that went back there, and he is the one that shot Morgan.

• Love 2

Sorry, when I said generic, i meant random scences from past episodes rather than specific items associated to speicific characters. "Away with you" is indeed from clear but to be Carl specific it'd have to be his hat or something (IMO).

• Love 1

Didn't Rick leave a map for Morgan, just in case he changed his crazypants mind about wanting to join them at the prison?  If this is correct, I'm assuming he followed the map, showed up at the blowed-up-real-good prison, and continued tracking them.  Now, would he have gone to Terminus, or avoided it due to Rick's defacing of the sign?  Rick does leaves smoldering ruins behind like a trail of breadcrumbs so Morgan wouldn't even have to be a expert tracker like Derle....

Speaking of Morgan and Rick and maps—I read speculation somewhere that Rick will lose the map that Abraham gave him, and Morgan will find it.