Type keyword(s) to search

Soundtrack - General Discussion

jmonique
  • Start Topic

Music connects the lives of random people living in Los Angeles.

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum, or if the topic has already been created, but I can't be the only person who wants to talk about this weird-ass Netflix show full of people lip syncing in random dance breaks?

I'm three episodes in and kind of hate Nellie.

• Love 2

I'm on episode five.  There has been some amazing acting (the dinner episode), but also a lot of filler. The random song breaks are not working for everyone, and sometimes detract from the emotion of the scene. I also feel like the show is getting less interesting as it goes.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, non sequitur said:

I'm on episode five.  There has been some amazing acting (the dinner episode), but also a lot of filler. The random song breaks are not working for everyone, and sometimes detract from the emotion of the scene. I also feel like the show is getting less interesting as it goes.

I ended up treating the show like a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book and just followed everything with Sam and Joanna, skipping over everyone dancing except Jenna Dewan.

I'm down with musicals, because the song, lyrics and the emotions in the performances can help further a story. Jamming songs into a show for people to lip sync to didn't work for me. Often, it just threw me right out of the story.

I just finished episode 4 and I feel like I'm finally getting in to it, though I also feel like this might be the peak of the show. I agree with @non sequitur that the dinner scene was really great. I enjoyed having so many of the characters come together like that. 

I'm a sucker for musical tv shows but the music seems so out of place here. Maybe if they were actually singing it would be better? But the lipsycing pulls me out of the story. 

• Love 3

Okay, episodes 5, 8, and 10 were really good too, it wasn't all downhill after the dinner party! I was apprehensive after a rocky 1st episode but I think it's worth sticking with this show all the way through. The Blood in the Water/Good Luck mashup in episode 5 was the first time I felt like the song choices (and voices) were in the correct voice of the character. Episode 8 was the same - Megan Ferguson is a gem with how well she portrayed Gigi/Jean and the song choices were spot on. The finale was surprisingly moving and I'm definitely interested in a season 2 - either with these characters or new ones. Maybe taking a side character and expanding on that world - Polly or Stella or De'Andra would be interesting to spin off from.

• Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 2:24 PM, shantown said:

Maybe if they were actually singing it would be better?

I respectfully disagree.  I have watched Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist and they actually sing the songs.  Some of the actors are good singers but Lauren Graham and especially Mary Steenburgen are NOT good singers.  I also am a sucker for musical TV shows but I stopped watching that show because it turned into a "crisis of the week" show (how can Zoey solve this problem with music etc) but Soundtrack at least has a storyline that is interesting imho.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1