Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Love, Actually

Door County Cherry
  • Start Topic

15 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

And that poor kid, I cant even imagine what a life being raised by Joe and Love would look like. 

You definitely don't want to end up on a play date with that family and their kid.

You/your kid could get murdered for a variety of random offences and infractions either by the husband or the wife!

If your kid beat their kid in a big race or for a big award Love might just "take care" of your kid to "fix things" for her kid.

Joe might take you out if he seems you to be too much of a tiger parent to rescue your kid.

I get the creeps just thinking about it!

• LOL 5
  • Love 9

It was a nice ride, though I really shook my head when

Spoiler

Candace was murdered. Why did she survive if they were to kill her anyway? Even bad soap operas don't do that to their characters. 

I also wished Fourty would be gay, that'd be awesome. 

• Love 1
On 12/31/2019 at 11:37 AM, yourmomiseasy said:

That's an interesting observation because Joe definitely playacts being a woke feminist and is totally a mysoginist.  

I'd say he's a misanthrope. 

• Love 4
On 12/30/2019 at 5:46 PM, Mabinogia said:

One question re: the postcards. It looked like Joe took a few postcards from the post box. He read the first one. I think it said something about sending money. I'm assuming it was from Ellie. Then he shredded them. Is he sending Ellie money and he shredded them to hid the fact? Or was the shredding an indication that he stopped answering/helping her?

Joe is having Ellie and Will (the second postcard was from Will, saying he hadn't heard from Joe for a while and asking if he's okay) send postcards to the P.O. box rather than his home with Love in order to protect them from Love. The whole reason Ellie had to leave town was to get away from Love, so her address can't be known. Will also poses a threat to Joe, and as such, he's wise to keep Will's address a secret from Love too. That's why Joe shredded the postcards.

After all the dead bodies, it was nice to see Joe get some comeuppance, whining about how his current life sucks and is a prison to him. That poor neighbor lady though...to have Joe targeting her, which will also bring Love down on her...

I hate that Forty died, but at least it delivered Love some punishment. I really hate that Candace came to town to protect Love from Joe, and Love killed her for it. Poor Candace. It was really unlucky for her that Beck was the girlfriend who died and not Love; obviously all of this would have ended very differently if it had been Beck Candace summoned to the storage unit.

Cop Fincher was such a trainwreck. First he accosted Joe on a bullshit jaywalking charge in the middle of the freaking night on an empty neighborhood street, and his taking those headphones as a bribe led to his suspicions that he told Delilah out of jealousy, which started the chain of events that resulted in her murder. At least he was actually right about those suspicions, but then he immediately got sidetracked into suspecting Ellie (in the middle of that poor girl being distraught over her sister) instead of Joe, because he's an idiot, and then shot Forty before he could kill the serial killer. Go away, Fincher.

• Love 24
20 hours ago, Atlanta said:

I'd say he's a misanthrope. 

IDK.  I think his general dislike of people is about the normal level of someone that works in retail.  If I'm remembering correctly all of the men we've seen him kill have been secondary to an obsession with a woman (they got in the way) -- except Hendy, but that was to "protect" a woman and in service to him being a nice guy.  If you are a woman and dare have your own agency and go against the narrative that he's created in his head, you're dead (or at least assaulted and buried alive).  He talks all this woke bullshit, but women are things to him, props to move around while he's playacting at being the romantic hero.

• Love 11
5 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

IDK.  I think his general dislike of people is about the normal level of someone that works in retail.

But other retail workers have friends. Joe didn't have any friends when we met him last season, even though he's a personable, attractive guy who wouldn't have trouble making friends if he wanted them. This season he finally got a friend in Forty, but that was really about his obsession with Love. Will has some sort of Stockholm Syndrome thing going on, and at bottom, both of those men are a little afraid of each other and consequently have reason to stay on good terms to prevent the other one turning on him. How old is Joe supposed to be? Penn Badgley is 33, so I guess thereabouts. That's pretty late in life to go without having any friends. Yes, he's a misogynistic serial killer, but even most of those guys have a social life.

Although come to think of it, for a nanosecond Joe considered Delilah a friend whom he wanted to spend time with. The day he caught her in the storage unit, he'd been planning on asking her to dinner as a friend. So I guess Delilah gets the dubious honor of being the one person we've seen that Joe considered a friend without some sort of selfish motive involved.

If I'm remembering correctly all of the men we've seen him kill have been secondary to an obsession with a woman (they got in the way) -- except Hendy, but that was to "protect" a woman and in service to him being a nice guy.

He killed Ron to protect Paco. He didn't have an investment in Paco's mother. He also killed Jasper, but given that the guy had already cut off one of his fingers, self-defense can legitimately be argued. I do think, though, given the way Joe operates of not consciously acknowledging to himself that he's planning to kill, that he probably brought Jasper to the storage unit in order to kill him, figuring Jasper wouldn't just be satisfied with taking the real Will. But whether it was a set-up or not, the motive was still defense.

• Love 2

When I was halfway through the season, I made a comment that Love was reminding me of Lila from season two of Dexter. Little did I know how accurate that prediction would turn out to be!

At the end of Dexter's season two,

Spoiler

an innocent person found out about Dexter's murderous ways, and Dexter trapped that person in a cage, and was torn over what to do (killing them would solve his problems, but he didn't want to murder an innocent). And then his crazy-ass girlfriend showed up and killed the person for him, to "protect" the man she loved, thus taking the problem out of his hands.

So yeah, this wasn't the most original way a season two love interest can be handled.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I think this got real sloppy in the end like lets tie all the major loose ends up quickly for instance the ability to freely walk in and out of a storage facility where no one else was there and tiny Love moving at least one messy dead body out without detection.  What about Delilah?  6 bags of ice in LA is not going to stop the rot.  Hell I would've believed the Storage Wars people discovering the bodies would've been more plausible.  A quick shot of a postcard from Ellie that does not properly close her story.  If Forty is now the fall guy for Hendy's murder why does she need to stay gone?  I did like this season but hated the hastyness of the end.  More time was spent on pedo Hendy's funeral.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Blakeston said:

When I was halfway through the season, I made a comment that Love was reminding me of Lila from season two of Dexter. Little did I know how accurate that prediction would turn out to be!

At the end of Dexter's season two,

Hide contents

an innocent person found out about Dexter's murderous ways, and Dexter trapped that person in a cage, and was torn over what to do (killing them would solve his problems, but he didn't want to murder an innocent). And then his crazy-ass girlfriend showed up and killed the person for him, to "protect" the man she loved, thus taking the problem out of his hands.

So yeah, this wasn't the most original way a season two love interest can be handled.

This show has always had a Dexter feel to it though.   One of the things I enjoyed most about Dexter was his attempted relationships with other people lie his sister and his gf/wife. 

I am not sure if killing Candace was a mistake or not.   I think starting back at zero with season 3 might be a smart move with Joe and Love in relationship hell together.   Both to obsessed with each other to give up but also both hating each other and feeding their darker nature elsewhere.    Joe is by nature a stalker.   Love nurtures people to death.   I could see her finding some week addict like Forty and playing her passive aggressive games on him....but with sex.

And who Joe’s neighbor is my money is....mom or possibly a sister that mom raised in luxury while he suffered.

• Love 2

Y'all are comparing this show to Dexter, which I vaguely know about but never watched. I kinda see a little Hannibal in it, esp with the way Joe disposed of Jasper's body, intercut with Love's stress-baking. So I'd love it if season 3 has an amoral or evil psych who knows everything Love and Joe have done and has their own agenda somehow.

(also, I should confess that I haven't watched the first season yet, I just dove into the second and read up on the first as necessary.)

On 12/29/2019 at 7:55 PM, Samwise979 said:

I think this is one show where the voice overs are really needed. We need to know Joe's thoughts behind his actions. We need to understand the way he thinks. 

The other show this really resonates with is Barry, esp as both are killers trying on some level to make a better life for themselves in Los Angeles, with some kind of spiritual redemption. Barry is more obviously closed off from his own dark side, where I see Joe as both knowing about his dark side while also being in deep denial of it.

Yet Barry doesn't use voiceover at all.

On 12/30/2019 at 6:01 AM, Cementhead said:

I love this show so much!  And I am so not a nit-picker but one thing was really, really starting to bug the hell out of me -- how were Candace & Love able to run in & out of the storage facility so freely because did we not see Joe having to use a swipe card to get in?  That drove me insane in the last episode or two.  Even with Delilah, I know she took his key but that would have only gotten her into his actual storage locker, and I swear they showed Joe having to swipe a card to get into the main facility. 

I mean yeah but also how TF does he even afford the rent on that cavernous storage locker? And how did he build a new cage from scratch? Or did he move the old one from NY? How?

(doing the latter would at least explain how the cage is so damn pristine and well-built but Joe just knocked a hole in the wall of his apartment for a closer secret hiding place.)

last thing: shout-out to the Popeye's I remember in LA in a neighborhood apparently sketchy enough that the employees were in their own kind of big glass cage and cash and food were passed through a box exactly like the one Joe has for his cage.

ETA: Love jumped really fast to thinking Joe was implicitly accusing her of poisoning the muffins. More fuel for the theory that she poisoned her husband.

Edited by arc
  • Love 5

While I really enjoyed this season I don't think there should be a third. I think the material is wearing thin at this point. The first half of Season 2 felt very much like retread, and in fact early on one of the forum posters drew a side by side comparison to all the characters from the first season having counterparts in the second. I think the show managed to diverge and come up with the some fresh twists towards the end but do we really need more of it? 

It's also getting more far-fetched the further it goes along. I really think Joe would have been caught by now with all the skulking, stalking, and break-ins. He has escaped capture by the skin of his teeth far too many times. 

That's not to say I didn't enjoy it, I just think it should end. 

He seriously assaulted, kidnapped, attempted to kill, and buried Candace alive.

To be fair I don't think it was ever his intention to kill her. When she tried to run and he chased her and knocked her down it seemed like he accidentally caused her to slam her head down then buried her in a panic. 

The creepy thing about this show is that it makes you feel like some of the characters actually deserve their deaths. Candace was one for me. It's enough that Joe buried her alive and nobody would take her complaint seriously. But after she found out about Beck and Dr. Nicky and the rest she decided to play a very dangerous game with a guy she was convinced was a serial killer. I don't buy for a second she was trying to protect anyone, all she wanted to do was torment Joe. Otherwise she would have just told everyone who he really was instead of playing this little game and pretending to be Forty's girlfriend.

I feel marooned on an island in my dislike of Peach. Shay Mitchell played the hell out of her, but I couldn't stand Peach.

Oh I was right there with you. I was rooting for Joe to kill her and cheered when he hit her over the head with a rock while she was jogging. Then I was furious when it turned out she was still alive. 

• Love 2

Joe's upbringing would explain a sexual kink, not murder.

LOL that Doctor Nicky found God, but that's pretty common in prisons. He never seemed like the type, though.

I think it was smart to make Love as crazy as Joe. If she were too much like Beck, it would be another season 1, and we had one of those. It's also kind of hilarious that Joe does have this mirror. If he weren't such a narcissist, he and Love could team up and be a serial-killer team to end all serial-killer teams. But if he weren't such a narcissist, he wouldn't be Joe.

Forty comparing Joe to Tom Ripley was pretty spot on.

Another LOL that Gabe caught a bouquet. I was afraid Love would, which was a bit too on the nose.

Do most mailbox places have an onsite paper shredder?

I'm torn on more seasons. I want Joe to pay, but there is a repetitiveness that is necessary but boring.

• Love 2

I binge watched the first two seasons in the last few weeks, really enjoyed the series so far

What surprised me is I thought season two was better than season one.  Some of you seem to have figured out Love much before I did, so good for you. Me, I was shocked when it was revealed what she had done. 

The main character, whatever name he goes by, is like a combination of Ted from How I Met Your Mother and Dexter.  He falls for every girl he comes across that seems to meet his initial qualifications and then immediately sees everything good and nothing bad about them.  Maybe a touch of Barry in their too, the guilt for the killings is present afterwards.  He isn't exactly like Ripley.  From what I recall about that move at least, maybe the book or source material is different, he was pretty remorseless and didn't care who he called. 

The show did a good job as well in contrasting NY/LA in the two seasons.  Maybe a bit cliché with Love's friends, but still pretty good. 

And season three seems to be going in a new direction too.  How he is stuck in a bit of a Goodfellas boring suburban life situation, which won't go over well. 

One thing though I wondered, the guy that came looking for money owed that he killed in season two, didn't they say he was mob connected?  Or just some random guy?  I thought for sure someone would come looking for his killer once he went missing because he seemed to be connected to organized crime somehow. 

A nice touch of the self aware/self referential writing too, bring up Dexter and Amy Adam, but not too much of it. 

On 1/1/2020 at 7:57 PM, neece26 said:

My huge nit-pick issue for the season is are there no surveillance cameras anywhere in LA?  None at the Anavrin market where Joe could freely dismember a body in the kitchen?  None at the apartment complex?  None at the freaking storage facility where people are coming and going dragging out dead bloody bodies?  How is this possible?!?!

To add to that, every time Joe opened the door to the storage locker, why did whoever was currently inhabiting the cage not use that opportunity to scream for help? They just politely sat there and waited for Joe to start talking.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Some of you seem to have figured out Love much before I did, so good for you. Me, I was shocked when it was revealed what she had done. 

I had not figured it out and I'm glad because that twist really got me. I loved it. I always kind of felt she was too good to be true, but I thought that was going to be the point, that he found someone this time who really WAS a good person and he wasn't actually worthy of her and might try to be but fail. So her being a murderous nutcase like him was kind of fun. 

27 minutes ago, Wouldofshouldof said:

To add to that, every time Joe opened the door to the storage locker, why did whoever was currently inhabiting the cage not use that opportunity to scream for help? They just politely sat there and waited for Joe to start talking.

Maybe the show was trying to show that people from LA are really nice, polite folks and not all loud, obnoxious "city" types. lol I feel like they did have them all resign to the fact they are stuck in a big glass cage in some lunatics storage locker way too easily. It was the weak spot of the show for me. Penn is charming, but he's not "you can lock me in a box indefinitely and I'll just sit here quietly reading my book" charming. 

• Love 3
On 1/19/2020 at 12:11 PM, Mabinogia said:

I feel like they did have them all resign to the fact they are stuck in a big glass cage in some lunatics storage locker way too easily. It was the weak spot of the show for me. Penn is charming, but he's not "you can lock me in a box indefinitely and I'll just sit here quietly reading my book" charming. 

This is why I really hated Will. He just accepts that Joe locked him in there and then develops a real friendship with him and doesn't turn the motherfucker in. The fuck?!

• Love 4
14 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

This is why I really hated Will. He just accepts that Joe locked him in there and then develops a real friendship with him and doesn't turn the motherfucker in. The fuck?!

Well, there are definitely a couple of self-interested reasons why Will wouldn't want to talk to the cops - his own fake identity, all the fake IDs he does for money, the people he's hiding from, getting his drugs on the black market, etc. For all that he's a white man, as a "druggie criminal" he wouldn't rank much higher, if at all, than Candace on the believability scale in the police's eyes, especially given that his story (locked in a glass cage) is much more out of the ordinary than hers (attacked by violent boyfriend). They'd think he's off his meds.

But I also think Will developed Stockholm syndrome, and we saw this is not a guy who really has the tools to deal with that. It's sheerest luck for him that his girlfriend was actually legit instead of catfishing for money, for instance.

• Love 9
On 1/19/2020 at 11:40 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

He isn't exactly like Ripley.  From what I recall about that move at least, maybe the book or source material is different, he was pretty remorseless and didn't care who he called. 

Ripley was a social climber, which Forty was accusing Joe of being; however the irony is that Joe isn't one. He just got dragged up the ladder by Forty and Quinn.

I think that's the funny thing about where Joe ends up- he's a loner on the fridges who somehow ends up living in an adorable suburban house in Los Angeles as the son-in-law of a wealthy family. A lot of people would view that as heavenly, but for him it's his own version of hell. LOL.

• Love 2
On 1/1/2020 at 10:15 PM, EarlGreyTea said:

Victoria Pedretti was a revelation, and for me, made this season much stronger than the first. Even before her brand of crazy was revealed, she made Love seem like much more of a real person than Beck ever was, and not as insanely self-destructive. Much of that, of course, is owing to the strength of Pedretti as an actress over Lail. Her eyes are just so expressive and you could buy her as a real person. Beck was such a cypher. I now want to re-watch the entire season, knowing what we know about Love now.

I agree with you that Love is a much stronger character than Beck but I will also counter with I think Beck was much less rounded because so much of our (the audience) perspective in that season was through the fantasy of Joe’s eyes. Yes S2 was still his perspective but much sharper and a with a stronger dose of reality. We saw Beck how Joe saw her: a DiD whose actual qualities mattered less to him than her perceived fantasy qualities (read: manic pixie dream girl, poet edition.) Joe never REALLY got to know the real Beck and that’s why she was so one-dimensional to us as audience members. His relationship with Love was much more intimate and thusly her character is more well-rounded to the viewer (again, through Joe’s eyes.) I think that’s why a lot less of S2 is filmed in tilt shift, as well. 

I’m excited to see what S3 brings. I think we’ll definitely see some ghosts (Peach, Delilah, Forty, etc.) I’m on the island with whomever said they hated Peach 😂 she was insanely annoying to me and I was actively rooting for her death towards the end when it became obvious Joe was going to kill her 🤷🏻‍♀️😂 I do also hope we get a little more backstory on the origin of the cage (Beyond what Joe has already told us) and how Mooney came into Joe’s life in the first place. 

• Love 4
On 1/7/2020 at 8:38 PM, dubbel zout said:

Do most mailbox places have an onsite paper shredder?

In my experience they do. I went to a huge college, and there was a FedEx/Kinko’s/post office type of place in most of the dorm buildings. They contained mailboxes and PO Boxes and there was a huge paper shredder there just like the one in the last ep. They also had copiers and a computer center to print things, too. 

• Useful 1
11 hours ago, novemberjenny said:

Joe never REALLY got to know the real Beck and that’s why she was so one-dimensional to us as audience members.

We did get an entire, very painful (at least for me), episode narrated by Beck herself. I had hoped it would reveal hidden depths, but it turned out there just really wasn't a lot there. She was a vapid, and somewhat unformed, woman (although if she had lived, the second part at least would have changed as she got more life experience). The appeal for Joe there was that she was an easy blank slate for Joe to project his fantasies onto and think about how he was going to form her to be what he wanted (his little S1 monologue about how he was even planning to change what she eats still gives me chills).

Love is an interesting departure in that, while Joe was certainly still projecting onto her, it's more that she seemed to fit a specific profile that he likes - Manic Pixie Dream Girl - than that she was a blank slate for him.

We got to know Candace this season, and it seems to me like she was probably the one out of the three whom Joe couldn't really project onto. She definitely wasn't a blank slate like Beck, and she didn't seem to fit Manic Pixie Dream Girl like Love. That might actually explain Joe's choices of whom to fixate on - after the experience of Candace, it makes sense he'd gravitate towards a blank slate next, and then when that didn't work out (Beck's romantic waffling certainly indicated that she wasn't able to settle down because she was still figuring herself out), he tried sort of a third option: Not a blank slate, but someone whose basic personality was something he liked. Plus, although he stalked Love, he didn't really have to do anything to get her other than put himself in her vicinity, since she was interested from the get-go.

• Love 2

Do we know if Candace was Joe's first victim? If so, I can see him wanting someone more malleable, which Beck was. Then he moves on to Love, who's more like him (more than he ever realized!), and that didn't work for him, either.

I wonder if Joe knows what sort of woman he wants. There probably isn't anyone who can tick all the boxes.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I wonder if Joe knows what sort of woman he wants. There probably isn't anyone who can tick all the boxes.

Joe is, among other things, a narcissist. So there really isn't anyone who can actually be perfect for him.

This season Joe kept reciting a list of the people he'd killed, and we know all the people on his list. So while I'm sure he was a creeper long before we actually met him, hovering around girls and obsessing over them, Candace was likely his first major victim.

Assuming he continues the pattern of his next choice being something of a reaction to what went wrong with the previous choice, it'll be interesting to see what kind of woman he fixates on next.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Assuming he continues the pattern of his next choice being something of a reaction to what went wrong with the previous choice, it'll be interesting to see what kind of woman he fixates on next.

This is how I see it happening, too.

• Love 1

Hmmm. That wasn't nearly as good as Season One and soooo much less original, but it was still enjoyable enough. I also don't think Joe's backstory explains his psychosis and I found Love a bit underwhelming too. Still, in Episode One I never thought that Forty Quinn would end up being a tragic character so it did pack some surprises. The last scene was funny too. Should be interesting to see what happens to Joe in suburbia.

I still want to know how the glass cage got to LA.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BaskingsharkGTX said:

I still want to know how the glass cage got to LA.

Not that it's plausible either way, but I expect we're to believe he built a new glass cage. He left NYC too fast, since he was desperate to escape Candace, to take care of disassembling and shipping the glass cage himself, and he certainly wouldn't give anyone a LA address and the task of doing this for him, since he was in hiding from Candace.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Not that it's plausible either way, but I expect we're to believe he built a new glass cage. He left NYC too fast, since he was desperate to escape Candace, to take care of disassembling and shipping the glass cage himself, and he certainly wouldn't give anyone a LA address and the task of doing this for him, since he was in hiding from Candace.

If I remember right, Joe said in a VO early on that it took him 2 days to build the cage in LA without having the help of the old guy whose name I've forgotten. 

• Love 4
On 1/28/2020 at 3:26 AM, arc said:

Wait but he put together really professional glass cage by himself but his apartment’s secret hiding place is a crummy hole in the wall???????

He was burned out on construction work after meticulously constructing his glass cage (including lifting the large, heavy glass walls into place) all by himself.

• LOL 8

Didn't see that twist coming. Love is a serial killer too and arguably crazier than Joe. The couple that slays together stays together!

Sigh, how did they manage to make John Stamos look ugly?

Meh on all the Dostoyevsky references. FFS, it's a TV series about murdering, self-centered psychos, not high art.

So, maybe next season the baby will kill Love in utero. Fingers crossed! 😼

Yes, that was one literary allusion I did appreciate even if it didn't quite fit Joe.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I'm sorry we won't get more of Forty next season.

Me too. He was my favorite and easily the most interesting character this season. He was pretty doomed though.

7 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

As one who hated the Matt Damon Talented Mr. Ripley, I gotta say Penn B would have made a MUCH better Ripley.

• Love 3

I knew that Love was a psychopath too. I am not how I feel about this season. It was a real roller-coaster of emotions but it in the end it never felt as visceral as powerful as certain moments in season 1 (I binged the whole show in about a week). Joe just happening to become obsessed with a fellow psychopath who loves him back is a little too contrived for me taste. Victoria Pedretti did an amazing job but I still found Beck more interesting than Love. She just seemed more real with her myriad of flaws. Love was extremely codependent of Forty and sometimes too intense (let me bake a million wedding cakes, for example) and that was about it. Till we learned that she was yet another friendly neighborhood sociopath, of course.

Joe having to live with her for the sake of the baby is the twist I like the most. Of course, Joe being the deluded fool that he is, is already planning his next conquest, I mean, victim.

I am getting rather tired of villains with sob stories, to be honest. Also, both Joe and Love murdered someone while they were kids? What are the odds? Joe's flashbacks took too much time this season but at least the way he snapped made sense. Love couldn't have called the cops about the au pair?

Joe and Delilah's hook-up was so random, same with her spilling the beans about Henderson earlier which set the whole chain of events leading to her death. Watching Ellie's grief was heartbreaking but the way the show got there was rather contrived. And don't get me started on Fincher "saving the day" by shooting Forty. I guess a trigger-happy cop is realistic but why exactly was he there? He follows Ellie, she talks to Joe, he enters inside the store - which is closed, remember, and Fincher follows him why exactly? To spare Love the choice between Joe and Forty, I guess but I'd rather had seen her have to choose.

Love daring Joe to murder Milo to prove his feelings for her was super messed up but it made sense in a dark kind of way.

All in all, like the second half of season 1, there were too many murders happening too fast, Joe making a million mistakes when doing his stalking and murdering thing, yet he never gets caught because his plot armor is extremely thick. The narration is still hilarious and the show's oddly addicting despite the many plot holes but I really wish there were fewer murders and less contrived plots. Forty kidnapping Joe and then drugging him, for example - funny, with the Russian goons and all but a totally nonsensical development. The Jasper plot - darkly hilarious, yet totally nonsensical. I will be back for season 3 and I will try to see the show as more of a black comedy than thriller, while still hoping that it will be a little more grounded than in this season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Joe is definitely a misogynist.   Women don’t have their own agencies for him.   They are just characters in his own head....ESPECIALLY if he views you as his love interest.   Just look at Love.   She was this perfect creature who would make him a better man.   Then she told him HER story and like a switch Got flipped in his head  he stopped seeing her  as the live interest and now she is a villain trapping him in suburbia.   

• Like 1
  • Love 9

A little late to the party... but...

I loved the season, and love the series, but the ending, to me, would have been a perfect series finale. Joe is trapped in his own hell, but still looking for the next victim. I don't know how they'll make a season 3.

• Love 5

It took me 1 month to watch all the episodes. I didn’t really like S2. I prefer S1 much more intense.

Off to read book 2. I see there is no book 3. Bummer guess the show will be not off the book but freshly written.

Episode 10 was the best because it was the last. I liked Candace sorry to see her die. I figured Love would be crazy haha.

Caroline Kepnes, the author, is a producer on the show. I know sometimes that's just a vanity title, but I think she's been involved from the start.

Someone else noted Joe can't keep killing people and getting away with it. Netflix isn't shy about ending shows, and I hope there's a decent resolution to this one when it happens.

• Love 1

Late to the party, but I liked the series despite some annoying plot holes. 

They don't have to do a full season, maybe 3 episodes, or a 2 hour movie that can jump a ways into the future.  The baby is old enough to be raised by Love's rich family members (NOT her parents) while the cops find a way to get both Love and Joe behind bars.  They could bring back Ellie, Dr. Nicky, Fincher, maybe Ethan.  

Wrap it all up without new people and new stories.  I'd be game. 

Caroline Kepnes is writing two more books - #3 and #4 - so the Netflix show can be expected to go that number of seasons. Considering the viewership for season 2, season 3 will certainly do well and that'll be enough to get the renewal for the final season.

• Love 2
On 12/29/2019 at 4:55 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

The actor reminded me of Renee Zellweger in the way that she spoke. 

I was bugging all season as to who the actor playing Candace reminded me of, and while I finally figured out I was wrong it was the girl who played Fivehead Norrie in "Under the Dome".

• Love 1
On 1/30/2020 at 7:26 PM, BaskingsharkGTX said:

I gotta say Penn B would have made a MUCH better Ripley.

What I loved about the ending of this season is that Joe became an insider to a wealthy family, gets a nice cushy house, and it makes him absolutely miserable because he never wanted to be an insider. 

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 6
On 4/30/2020 at 2:50 PM, methodwriter85 said:

What I loved about the ending of this season is that Joe became an insider to a wealthy family, gets a nice cushy house, and it makes him absolutely miserable because he never wanted to be an insider. 

I think the first episode will show Joe having constant fantasies about how he can off the people he's trapped with. Every little item in his suburban house will be a potential weapon.

I figured Love had killed Delilah, and was surprised Candace was alive (until she wasn’t, thanks to Love). It was hilarious, seeing Joe deal with a woman like himself, and of course judging the hell out of her.  She wasn’t a perfect angel, who could make him a better person (which was never her job in the first place).  
He reminds me of someone that was in my life for a while, so thus creeps me out even more. Not a murderer, but his looks and attitude.  

• Love 1

Caroline Kepnes is writing two more books - #3 and #4

At this point #3 has been published and I didn't much care for it. I can understand Kepnes wanting to get that money but maybe this isn't a story that can go on for four books. Or, maybe she isn't the person who can write it. I just hope this isn't going to turn into a Game of Thrones situation.

• Love 1
On 12/27/2019 at 9:25 PM, Primal Slayer said:

While I enjoyed S2, I think it was a mistake to kill off both Candace and Delilah, one of them should've stayed alive to keep after Joe and his new bride.

Especially now that they are "happily" married, having someone who they know is out there waiting to pounce would've at least put some edge to them. Of course Joe doesn't know how to properly love so he'll always end up killing but he needs that someone who can at least face off against him to a degree.

I suspect that  Joe would always have to worry about Elle coming after him for explanations and revenge. 

I really did love this season. The secondary characters were really fleshed out, and as sad as I was to see Delilah die, Forty’s death did shock me!! The cop couldn’t aim for his leg?? RIP Forty- he was a great character, and the actor has a lot of range given what I saw in his role in Fire Island.

I could see Ellie being a real adversary for Joe in a few years. The last lines were so creepy, can’t wait to be caught up with you all soon. 

I just rewatched the entire three seasons to get ready for the start of season four.  Watching the episodes in fast succession really built Joe's creepiness factor in a way that my original watching did not.  It is interesting how (some) women are drawn to him; women with insecurity appreciating what they initially see as support and concern.

I am so excited for the new season.

• Like 4