Type keyword(s) to search

Katrina Crane: She's a Good Witch!

Maybe they think all women viewers want to be Katrina and look like KW?

They'd be wrong - again, KW is a highly attractive woman, but I don't think she's got the end-all looks that all women aspire too.

Personally I'd rather look like NB - and already kinda do... just much taller. I'm still trying to copy her makeup look from episode 3 - and I recently styled my hair the same way... though I'm about to go back to my natural coils later this week.

I think KW looks better as a blonde. Or even a brunette...

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 1

What's weird is in the pilot, I found her ridiculously pretty and she looked really cool. Like I thought "Yes! A cool witch". I was like wow, they really found good actresses for Abbie and Katrina.  

tumblr_mteik6bzMX1sgx40to1_250.gif

I loved her costume (it looks really cool, like an edgy version of what a women would wear in her time), the way she was shot was great. They should do this, if they want to say this is why Ichabod can't walk away. Although really her personality should be what kept him at her side.

• Love 2

What's weird is in the pilot, I found her ridiculously pretty and she looked really cool. Like I thought "Yes! A cool witch". I was like wow, they really found good actresses for Abbie and Katrina.  

tumblr_mteik6bzMX1sgx40to1_250.gif

I loved her costume (it looks really cool, like an edgy version of what a women would wear in her time), the way she was shot was great. They should do this, if they want to say this is why Ichabod can't walk away. Although really her personality should be what kept him at her side.

The hair is her own, and she's had to go to a wig, because of damage to her hair. Not surprising. The red suits big time, and it obvious a nod to witches of the past, where a red-headed woman could be accused of being a witch, solely because of hair colour.

Yeah, I always liked this dress too - very goth/witch. Apparently it's one of a kind, made with some 100 year old rare fabric sourced from France. They are very careful with the dress, because it can't really be replaced.

Wow - didn't know that about the dress! Pretty cool. I recently met the Lead Costume Designer for Game of Thrones and got to look at some of the dresses up close - the workmanship was just out of this world...

I wonder if Katrina's dress up close is as intricate...

Edited by phoenics

Wow - didn't know that about the dress! Pretty cool. I recently met the Lead Costume Designer for Game of Thrones and got to look at some of the dresses up close - the workmanship was just out of this world...

I wonder if Katrina's dress up close is as intricate...

I can't imagine it would be. The budget for GoT has to eclipse this hugely. I got to see the GoT costume exhibit at SDCC and I agree. They're amazing. I thought they would cut corners on the small stuff that wouldn't really be visible on camera, then I saw the Lannister lion buttons and embroidery. Gorgeous.

Katrina looked a little overly made up and goth for my taste in the pilot, but she did look pretty. I hate what they've done to her look this season. I understand that her hair was taking a beating hence the wig, but does it have to look so lank and awful? And why does the color keep changing? Ichabod's and Abbie's wigs look fine. Does the stylist hate her? Plus, unless there is a plot reason, I wish they had let her keep her natural blonde. The red looked good in the pilot, but the color is weird now and she either has different makeup or she's more tan and it just clashes somehow.

It's funny how she looked way more "goth" in the pilot than now in her supposed new "goth" outfit.

Edited by cynic

Aaaaaand tonight Katrina proves herself to be useless yet again using that mirror that Henry then uses to spy on The Witnesses because she left a trace of magic on it or something... almost like he was waiting for her to do it. Le sigh. It's almost like the writers think she's a cosmic joke.

• Love 1

I hate what they've done to her look this season. I understand that her hair was taking a beating hence the wig, but does it have to look so lank and awful? And why does the color keep changing? Ichabod's and Abbie's wigs look fine. Does the stylist hate her?

That's what gets me.  How is it that they can find decent wigs for Ichabod, but Katrina's wig is so painfully, obviously fake?  

Does Nicole wear a wig on the show?  I thought they were extensions.

Oh, I thought someone mentioned it was a wig when the show first started and I just assumed it was true since most of the candids that I saw of her at the time showed her with natural hair. It made sense to me that she wouldn't want to put her curls through the constant blowouts. The person could have been speculating though.

Whatever it is, it still looks better than Katrina's wig! Speaking of, why was it so far back tonight. She was seriously all forehead.

I wish being in Purgatory for over 200 years had changed her in some fundamental way. She should be unbalanced, to say the least, and mentally scarred. But no, she's just as awesomely perfect and powerful and amazing as ever! 

On a different note, can you imagine her sending Abraham off to the drugstore for her monthly supplies? "There is an amazing new invention called Tampax..."

• Love 2

Can Katrina please stop widening her eyes in horror? Granted, it's preferable to her smug overconfidence.

LMBO - it's like out of a bad romance novel:

Katrina's eyes widened in horror. "Hiiicabaahd! Waaaccssshhh hhhooowwwtttt!"

• Love 1

Because most of us watching the show are DYING for this to happen /sarcasm/

She's going to be playing a DUAL role on the show. She will be playing her ancestor Helena Van Tassel in flashbacks to the Salem Witch Trials, complete with long blonde wig.

Because I haven't had my fill of her yet....

*shakesfistatGoffman*

• Love 2

Because most of us watching the show are DYING for this to happen /sarcasm/.

They just keep doubling down on this insanity. Goffman must be best friends with Marti Noxon.

Edited by chrisvee
  • Love 1

She's going to be playing a DUAL role on the show. She will be playing her ancestor Helena Van Tassel in flashbacks to the Salem Witch Trials, complete with long blonde wig.

*shakesfistatGoffman*

>.< WHAT. the. ENTIRE. EFF?!?!

*shakesfistatGoffman*

Considering the only good thing a story about Katrina's family history could possibly offer would be a lack of Katrina herself, this is like the worst of both worlds. Maybe Goffman was afraid a competent actress playing a witch would reveal just how terrible Winters' whispery portrayal is. Or maybe he's just messing with us now.

Also - question: can anyone name ANY other show with a male lead and a female lead in a "partnership" kind of show where one of the leads is married and that marriage is attempted to be shown in a big way as "epic love"? Because I can't think of one... the only one that came close was Law and Order: SVU - but they never showed the marriage or wife much at all. At ALL. They focused on the partnership at all costs.

Anyone know of one I missed?

Thank you!  In a "buddy cop" type show you can't have one of the buddies caught up in some big love thing with a third party that gets any on-screen attention. You can show a spouse briefly, but that's it. It just doesn't work structurally. 

• Love 2

Thank you! In a "buddy cop" type show you can't have one of the buddies caught up in some big love thing with a third party that gets any on-screen attention. You can show a spouse briefly, but that's it. It just doesn't work structurally.

The only one I can think of that comes close is "Life" with Damian Lewis and Sarah Shahi. It wasn't really presented as an epic love thing though. Lewis's character had an ex-wife that he was still in love with and a burgeoning romantic interest in the female lawyer who got him out of jail. Still, neither of those storylines really worked (at least in the eyes of many vocal viewers), but TPTB seemed to really be against the idea of people shipping their leads and pushed the stories despite a distinct lack of chemistry with either woman. Then, in the second season, they glammed Shahi up and gave her a love interest who was also terrible (Donal Logue, who I normally love). The second season was also "fixed" by replacing the female captain with the aforementioned Logue and making more stand alone episodes, which of course made the whole show worse. It was cancelled at the end of the second season. In the finale, Lewis and Shahi's hands briefly touched making the whole thing really bittersweet. They had great chemistry and that hand brush was hotter than any sex scene with their supposed lovers.

The only marriage that I can think of that got a lot of screen time was the one on White Collar, but the leads are both male and the marriage was completely stable and unobtrusive. When Goffman worked on that show, I guess he was trying to balance that relationship by giving the other lead an absolutely terrible love interest that pretty much all the viewers hated. He apparently loved her though, because they made her a regular and their relationship ate the show. Sadly, I really lovex White Collar before Goffman screwed with it and messed up relationship between the two leads.

So no, I guess I can't think of a single instance where a character like Katrina worked.

Edited by cynic
  • Love 1
When Goffman worked on that show, I guess he was trying to balance that relationship by giving the other lead an absolutely terrible love interest that pretty much all the viewers hated. He apparently loved her though, because they made her a regular and their relationship ate the show. Sadly, I really lovex White Collar before Goffman screwed with it and messed up relationship between the two leads.

That's interesting and lends even more credence to my belief that Katrina is being boosted up because Goffman likes the character or the actress. I never watched White Collar, but it sounds like he screwed up that show too. You'd think people would learn. So Goffman will destroy Sleepy Hollow, all for his personal agenda, beliefs, fantasies, whatever this is...God I really dislike him. Can Phil Iscove somehow take over?

• Love 2

*shakesfistatGoffman*

Laughing bitterly cuz (I almost never shorten words you guys... THAT's how distraught I am) I don't have the strength to cry. I don't hate the woman but good lord what the fuck is happening?????????????? You give a Tatiana Maslany multiple characters to shine in or ,in a less prestigious example, you give Nina Dobrev multiple characters because you know they have the juice to blow it out of the bleeping water. You don't give it to someone who most people find underwhelming at best. I don't want to be a bitch, I don't hate the woman... I just can't appreciate actors who have no concept of depth when bringing a character to life. Just being pretty and reciting lines? That is sooooo mid 20th century old Hollywood honey, you need to step it the fuck up. Now actors make up their own backstory, they confer with their colleagues about how they think they should play it and check that they are on the same wavelength... That's intelligent acting. That's why actresses that maybe have lower profiled but are doing their best are beloved, especially in genre shows. Take the work seriously. I love that actors are sometimes goofy, but they have to show that they take what they are doing seriously. 

UGH... This literally is The Worst case of misdirection ever. For the sake of everything I love about this show (and that's a lot), I really hope she proves me wrong and is great in this because at least I can focus all my dissatisfaction at the showrunner.

Can Phil Iscove somehow take over?

Someone should start an online petition to have him take over. I would sign that shit in blood. This show exists thanks to him, he was the spark. Like my favourite Mark Gatiss quote says "The world is full of no brainers that haven't happened yet." It was (his) genius and yet retroactively obvious to think of a time travelling Ichabod Crane otherwise they would have made it basically a TV remake of the Johnny Depp film with supernatural elements (because those are so rare on TV -sarcasm-). Yeah...been there, done that.

Wait, is that a real spoiler? Or someone's speculation?

because JFC. What a frakking joke if that is the case. Is Winter going to have different levels of whisper speak?

Taking to the spoiler thread

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1
I just can't appreciate actors who have no concept of depth when bringing a character to life. Just being pretty and reciting lines?

In season 1, it was glaring how just a few minutes of screen time with her seemed to bring the show to it's needs, in terms of pacing and interest. This season is obviously more time, and it's more glaring (and irritating). I mean, they could have had some fun with the shady thing, and kept us guessing over certain behaviours, but she doesn't even hint at stuff like that. And as everyone suspected, when she is the third wheel with Ichabbie, she's completely disruptive. Jenny never was at all - she slotted in nicely with Ichabod and Abbie, but Katrina? I mean, if it's obvious one's WIFE is getting in the way and out of place, I don't know man. The actress isn't the strongest, but the storylines have been terrible for the character. Just downright insulting, unimaginative and dull.

I mean complex characters such as Ichabod and Abraham turn into idiotic jealous morons with no sense and because of her actions, many, many people have died. That alone is telling to me

But hey, she gets to wear skinny jeans and a corset top and look all pretty, so everyone's happy *thehell*

Wait, is that a real spoiler? Or someone's speculation?

Not a joke. She posted a picture of her on her twitter with the caption of "Helena van Tassel" and in a blonde wig.

Maybe part of the reason Katrina is such a bland bore is Goffman is clueless as to how to make a female lead character work if he also sees her as a pet.  He apparently loves her character, but perhaps doesn't know what it is that he loves, she's undefinable, unknowable. A woman of mystery with unplumbed depths and gifts to those who find her enjoyable, a flat cipher who is just there taking up space for those who don't. She's everything and nothing, the only consistent qualities she has are the accidents of writing, things that look like flaws to a viewer, the shadiness, the smugness, the princess attitude, the galling helplessness, things that were unintended consequences of her usage as a walking plotpoint.

• Love 3

I'm thinking about quitting this show and its cause I can't stand Katrina and her love triangles. Why did they make her role bigger? Why? Even the not-so-headless horseman can make me laugh once or twice...

• Love 2

I know it's a pile-on at this point but I just hate the way she says Ichabod's name. She enunciates the syllables weirdly.

I mean I don't begrudge her for that because English is not her first language, she's Swedish. A lot of my Scandinavian friends have very good grammar but their intonation and accent is always slightly different.

You know what might have been neat? Is if Katrina, the one who had pushed hardest for the "redeem my darling murderous baby" angle, had had to kill Henry herself. And then, paying magic's price, had been whisked back to Purgatory, or Hell, or even some off-screen Heaven.

• Love 2

I'm trying to reduce my expectations to something realistic. Can we at least get her a shirt to put over the corset?

I want an end to the ridiculous skinny jeans+corset combo, she's been wearing them too long, it was amusing and silly once, now it's just degrading.. Surely those clothes are beginning to smell, plus I can't imagine that Katrina would be thrilled to be walking around with her underwear on the outside, especially when she's been living with her adult son and a jilted ex.

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 1

I want an end to the ridiculous skinny jeans+corset combo, she's been wearing them too long, it was amusing and silly once, now it's just degrading.. Surely those clothes are beginning to smell, plus I can't imagine that Katrina would be thrilled to be walking around with her underwear on the outside, especially when she's been living with her adult son and a jilted ex.

Maybe they are trying (badly) to do the same gag they did with Ichy never changing clothes for most of last season.

• Love 2

And I still like Katrina. She didn't want to kill her own son, which I understand. She's feeling a little Stockholm Syndrome for Abraham, which I also understand. She fought against the bad guys, saving Abby, which puts her on my Christmas card list. Katrina tried to save Irving, but her magic did not trump the Sword of Methuselah's mojo. Plus, Ichabod loves Katrina, so I'm inclined to be charitable towards her for his sake, too.

I am glad you like Katrina because at least you're enjoying this. Her not wanting to kill her son is not a problem, but again I'm going back to the mother of a serial killer analogy. They want to show her pain at what her son has been through and become? Fine, do that. What she's doing is insisting that he's good. She's trying to say everyone else is blind to the truth, force her rationalisation onto others and that I can't stand behind.

When did she save Abbie? Your point about her being Crane's love highlights what the problem with her for me, if she's just here to be his love interest then I have no time for her. I have no time for any love interests on this show. It's not what I'm here for.

• Love 1

When did Katrina save Abby? I just rewatched a large part of Akeda and that didn't happen - did that happen in a previous eppy? I don't think it did - I think it's more that everyone else saved Katrina. Repeatedly.

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 1

When did Katrina save Abby? I just rewatched a large part of Akeda and that didn't happen - did that happen in a previous eppy? I don't think it did - I think it's more that everyone else saved Katrina. Repeatedly.

The scene is very dark. On the battlefield, when Abbie is injured Katrina uses magic to stop a demon in his tracks so that Jenny could help Abbie get to safety. 

The scene is very dark. On the battlefield, when Abbie is injured Katrina uses magic to stop a demon in his tracks so that Jenny could help Abbie get to safety.

I didn't take that as Katrina saving Abbie - Jenny was already dragging her away and Katrina didn't even look back at Abbie as she did what she did - she did NOT notice and was only saving herself... and she could barely do that - she had to call Ichabod to help her stave off the demon.

• Love 1

So Goffman is the man who brought Hilary Burton to "White Collar" and destroyed that show? Now his fascination with KW makes sense. Burton was useless too. If you tell me he was behind bringing Erica Durance to "Smallville" I'll abandon all hope for SH now.

• Love 2

Random observation, and I stopped being able to even watch the show about four episodes back:

My fanfic-writer's heart says what went wrong here is that Abbie and Ichabod already had enough tension due to the extremely interesting differences between them. Tension and differences equals spark. They did not NEED a love triangle here to create more tension. The audience knows this, even if not consciously, and resents the love triangle like hell. 

I don't even know else what went wrong after that, but it sounds like you guys are saying the showrunner just has his head up his ass with regards to the character/actress, and that's unfortunate. I always expected the Katrina angle to become more distant over time but pop up occasionally to tweak the Abbie/Ichabod sparks. If I'd known she would eat the whole show, I would have stopped a LONG time ago. 

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 3

You know I totally get why Katia Winter was kind of smug in her pre-season interviews.  She knows she has the showrunner eyes and ears.You know I totally get why Katia Winter was kind of smug in her pre-season interviews.  She knows she has the showrunner eyes and ears.

I could at least somewhat deal with the "Everybody Loves Megan" seasons of Mad Men because Jessica Pare seemed like a decent, humble person and she'd probably be okay in Grey's Anatomy-type shows. But man, if that's true about Katia...geez...I hope she just loves the fact that her "starring" stories on the show have helped to create a massive free-fall in ratings, caused a degradation in critical acclaim for the series, showed what a weak actress she is, and will likely cause the show not to go beyond a 3rd season, if they're lucky.

I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt, but she's not a young, inexperienced Disney channel teen actress or something. If you're 30 years old and unable to deliver even the tiniest bit of character despite being given chance after chance to do so, maybe you're in the wrong business. She'll be lucky to star in SyFy t.v. movies after this.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3

I mean I don't begrudge her for that because English is not her first language, she's Swedish. A lot of my Scandinavian friends have very good grammar but their intonation and accent is always slightly different.

"Here I am, rock you like a hurricane!"  (German, not Swedish, but still...).  Moreover, "Winter was born in Stockholm, Sweden and moved to London at an early age." (Wikipedia).  Do they not speak English in London?  

Katrina is the merger of terrible writing and mediocre acting.  She's not Z-list, but she's not up to B-list either.

As anyone who's seen Banshee Chapter can attest, Katia Winter is an excellent actress.  She's just been tasked to portray a really irritating character here and she's doing a really good job.  The thing to remember about Sleepy Hollow is that it's essentially a mashup of Gothic Horror/Romance and Modern Action/Adventure.  It's Wuthering Heights meets Supernatural.  Ichabod and Katrina Crane are stereotypical (if highly progressive) Gothic characters.  Gothic characters tend to be passionate(histrionic), morally certain(self-righteous) and bold(foolishly impulsive), which makes them kind of insufferable, especially when they're together.  The fun is watching them collide with the modern world and the people in it.  It's no accident that the best Katrina Crane scene came with the cold open of them in bed watching The Bachelor with Katrina wanting more of "the television of reality."

Katrina's problem has been that to this point the storyline has mostly kept her isolated from the modern cast members and therefore somewhat stagnant in terms of development and progression.  Now that the Moloch business seems to be finished, Katrina can mix with the modern characters and world with Ichabod as her not completely experienced guide.  Fun should then ensue. 

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 3

As anyone who's seen Banshee Chapter can attest, Katia Winter is an excellent actress.  She's just been tasked to portray a really irritating character here and she's doing a really good job.  The thing to remember about Sleepy Hollow is that it's essentially a mashup of Gothic Horror/Romance and Modern Action/Adventure.  It's Wuthering Heights meets Supernatural.  Ichabod and Katrina Crane are stereotypical (if highly progressive) Gothic characters.  Gothic characters tend to be passionate(histrionic), morally certain(self-righteous) and bold(foolishly impulsive), which makes them kind of insufferable, especially when they're together.  The fun is watching them collide with the modern world and the people in it.  It's no accident that the best Katrina Crane scene came with the cold open of them in bed watching The Bachelor with Katrina wanting more of "the television of reality."

Katrina's problem has been that to this point the storyline has mostly kept her isolated from the modern cast members and therefore somewhat stagnant in terms of development and progression.  Now that the Moloch business seems to be finished, Katrina can mix with the modern characters and world with Ichabod as her not completely experienced guide.  Fun should then ensue. 

I like your analysis, though I agree only partly with it. (I tend to "like" posts if there is a portion of it that particularly resonates with me---or if I pose a query and people actually respond, I definitely "like" those responses.")

I haven't seen Katia Winter on anything else so I can't really comment on her acting ability. That being said, if , as you say, she is meant to play an "irritating character", I suspect most here would agree that she is doing an excellent job. I did think that cold open that so many hated  was really well done. I continue to think that the sentiments expressed by Ichabod and Katrina as well as their body language was telegraphing the rift in their marriage we saw more explicitly in Akedo. 

Others have expressed the problem with having so many characters from the past living in the present and diminishing Ichabod's "man out of time" impact and I agree with them. I think that's a very good point and is one of the reasons I am against the "humanization" of Headless/Abraham and against the enhanced role for Katrina.

I think Katia Winter would be wonderful in a Jane Austen style period drama but I think the character of Katrina is dragging down Sleepy Hollow for several reasons. 

Edited by RiddleyWalker
  • Love 5

"Here I am, rock you like a hurricane!"  (German, not Swedish, but still...).  Moreover, "Winter was born in Stockholm, Sweden and moved to London at an early age." (Wikipedia).  Do they not speak English in London?  

I don't know the specifics of her life but seeing as even in the US if a child immigrates with their family even as early kindergarten and they speak their native tongue at home, they tend to speak english fluently but with the cadence and some of the pronunciation of their native tongue, I still find it believable that she would have some remnants of that in her speech. I learnt English by osmosis when moving to an English speaking country in high school but if I speak my mother for an hour, I start to not pronounce 'h's at the beginning of words or change the cadence of my speech because my native tongue doesn't put as much emphases as spoken english does.

Now obviously i might be mistaken about this but, last time i checked, the TV show Sleepy Hollow is not meant to have a huge focus on romance. At least that was not the premise I was sold on when watching the first season but arguably that's what they change it to now which is why I have feeeeelings of the negative sort. As to whether Katia is a good/bad actress, I don't feel I have enough evidence to judge but I definitely do not like acting choices in this show. My problem is that I don't feel she's over the top, I feel she lacks oomph. I feel little passion coming from her.

Too many times I feel like I am seeing Katia Winter as opposed to Katrina whereas I have problems calling TM and NB Crane and Abbie in real life, same with LG and OJ (which is hard to do for him). Heck I forget that's John Noble on my screen.  

I didn't hate that cold open, I just -again I must stress acting choices- didn't understand why she was so blank when making such an impassioned speech about love especially because her point was the more emotional side while Crane's was the duty aspect of it. The cold open was meant to confuse you into thinking they are arguing amongst themselves, why would she argue so passionlessly? Why does she use such a weird breathy voice and in 2x11 why did she have a weird little girl voice when we are supposed to feel the power and emotional weight this woman carries because of her role in this war. Her normal voice is clear and strong, why does she choose to portray Katrina as frail when the script calls for her to be strong? Even when she had that badass moment in the fight with the light coming out of her hands, she did not have the expression of a fighter or someone who is passionately defending those she cares about. Moloch ruined her life, when she fights his minion she should have a determined "I am going to save my family" expression on her face. She looked unsure.

The problem with those types of characters being insufferable is that they only work when in their own milieu, when contrasted with people less irritating, well... to me that makes them even more irritating and not fun to watch at all. Again that's all variable mileage here. I'm of the opinion that people like to say someone is a bad actor too quickly without knowing what it involves. In this case I feel that KW is not used to genre shows where it's not just about emoting but living the character and being able to breathe internal life into them. Otherwise the character becomes an avatar since they don't feel real. I know what Katrina does but I don't know who Katrina is and that's because the writers haven't established it and Katia doesn't know. On some show even if the writer hasn't established it, the actor creates their own story to be able to get a "feel" for the character and I don't think she does that.

I must specific that it's not that I think the biggest problem of this show is Katia. To me, it's Goffman. He literally changed what this show is about for me and I'm afraid he's turning it into something I'm not here for.

• Love 3

As anyone who's seen Banshee Chapter can attest, Katia Winter is an excellent actress. She's just been tasked to portray a really irritating character here and she's doing a really good job. The thing to remember about Sleepy Hollow is that it's essentially a mashup of Gothic Horror/Romance and Modern Action/Adventure. It's Wuthering Heights meets Supernatural. Ichabod and Katrina Crane are stereotypical (if highly progressive) Gothic characters. Gothic characters tend to be passionate(histrionic), morally certain(self-righteous) and bold(foolishly impulsive), which makes them kind of insufferable, especially when they're together. The fun is watching them collide with the modern world and the people in it. It's no accident that the best Katrina Crane scene came with the cold open of them in bed watching The Bachelor with Katrina wanting more of "the television of reality."

Katrina's problem has been that to this point the storyline has mostly kept her isolated from the modern cast members and therefore somewhat stagnant in terms of development and progression. Now that the Moloch business seems to be finished, Katrina can mix with the modern characters and world with Ichabod as her not completely experienced guide. Fun should then ensue.

Ah, I think I see the problem. I loved Sleepy Hollow during the first season because it was like Supernatural meets National Treasure (with a dash of Turn). If I had known that it's actually supposed to be (and would gradually turn into) Supernatural meets Wuthering Heights I never would have started watching it in the first place. Even if that is true though, I still think the character fails because "passionate" and "bold" are not among the words I would use to describe how Katrina has been written/portrayed at all. And I don't agree that integrating her with the rest of the cast will be either fun or helpful. There's a reason that most dramatic fish out of water stories only have one fish. Having Katrina (and Henry and Abraham) in the present just dilutes the tension that makes Ichabod so compelling.

I'll have to take your word on Katia Winter being a fine actress in other projects, but I strongly disagree with you about her performance here. I find her to be terribly wooden and her physical/vocal choices for the role are frankly off-putting.

Edited by cynic
  • Love 7

It goes back to the writing here, that was my first note when watching the Kindred episode because I was like no, just integrate her into the team. Now, I feel it's too late and she won't ever feel natural to me. As always, I am crossing my fingers. I want to like Katrina when everyone is at their best too. If there is an episode where I like Katrina and everyone else has been replaced by pod people that will be the final nail in the coffin for me and cement the fact that this character, because of the writing, just does not work.

• Love 1