Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: John and Lonnie

• Start Topic

Every time they show participants driving up for a follow up visit and it's dark out, I imagine an after hours 600 lb Life contestant cattle call (sorry for the pun - honestly don't mean it in a bad way) where they just line them up in the different exam rooms and Dr. Now goes from room to room. I imagine if he's had a couple of people with zero weight loss, or even gain, his attitude would perk up if he was ending the evening with a success story. Or, conversely, his attitude would get more sour if the performance of the patients worsened from room to room.

Obviously things would be harder to schedule with out of town people, but part of the deal might be that they need to attend very specific appt windows so that the camera crew can be set up, the non-show patients won't be there, etc.   They blur out faces in the waiting room, but I always scan to see if I can identify other contestants' families. 

• Love 6

Lonnie looks great in that picture!   John looks pretty good, but he was much heavier than Lonnie, and carried a lot around his waist, so I think he's probably still losing, but it's not as obvious.       I hope they both are the success story of the season, and are back for a WATN.   

TLC pulled a sneaky one on us.   The Supersized John & Lonnie episode starts at 9 p.m. Central tonight.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, kassa said:

Every time they show participants driving up for a follow up visit and it's dark out, I imagine an after hours 600 lb Life contestant cattle call (sorry for the pun - honestly don't mean it in a bad way) where they just line them up in the different exam rooms and Dr. Now goes from room to room. I imagine if he's had a couple of people with zero weight loss, or even gain, his attitude would perk up if he was ending the evening with a success story. Or, conversely, his attitude would get more sour if the performance of the patients worsened from room to room.

Obviously things would be harder to schedule with out of town people, but part of the deal might be that they need to attend very specific appt windows so that the camera crew can be set up, the non-show patients won't be there, etc.   They blur out faces in the waiting room, but I always scan to see if I can identify other contestants' families. 

You nailed it!   My guilty pleasure for many years has been to scan the waiting rooms for familiar faces.   

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Lunula said:

I was delightfully surprised by how much I liked Lonnie (in particular) and John. I was/am sincerely rooting for them and was really happy that they both didn't play the old "blame everyone else for my problems" game that we see so often on this show. 

Midway through I was pissed at mom and her toxic bullshit, but was also surprised by her reaction to "the talk" with her sons. I'm not 100% convinced she was sincere, but considering how openly horrible some of the people we see on this show are to one another, I'll take it. 

I must admit to yelling at the TV a few times regarding the utter ignorance that mom (specifically) and John displayed at Lonnie's homosexuality. It's not a "lifestyle" - it's a life. I'm always frustrated at the pure lack of logic when I hear people refer to it as a "choice" or a "lifestyle" - if that were true, we'd all be able to make that choice, right? Ugh. Anyway...

Genuinely hope we get a follow-up on these two and that they are both doing fabulous things. 

P.S. - would love to hang out with Lonnie, he's a hoot! 🙂

I wanted to  bitch-slap that "mom" back to the 19th century.  😡

• Love 3

The Supersized edition had a bonus scene of Lonnie's endoscopy, and that was scary.    I think Dr. Now saying Lonnie has a huge stomach is why he was so fascinated with the size after surgery.    

I seriously want to slap the mother into the next state.     She never says anything good to her sons.     I'm surprised that they spend any time with her at all, and that John has her around his son.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
On 1/3/2020 at 12:11 PM, Fig Newton said:

From Johns' facebook page. Lonnie cut his hair. No idea when this was taken, uploaded on the 1st. John looks as if he may have stalled in his weight loss? 

John doesn't need to be wearing horizontal stripes.   I am surprised Lonnie buys them for him.  In the scene where they are shopping, Lonnie is buying a shirt with horizontal stripes, and in the scene with the Hawaiian shirts, he also hands John a shirt with horizontal stripes.  We never see Lonnie in horizontal stripes.   Just sayin'....

2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The Supersized edition had a bonus scene of Lonnie's endoscopy, and that was scary.    I think Dr. Now saying Lonnie has a huge stomach is why he was so fascinated with the size after surgery.    

I think the really large stomach shown after surgery  in the original is John's;  I didn't think Lonnie's looked as big after surgery, but Dr. Now is certainly impressed with the size of Lonnie's during the endoscopy. 

Here's the rest of the scoop from the supersized which I ff'd through.

John-played right guard in hs football

Lonnie's pets-- cat, fish, freshwater shrimp  (remember the shrimp)

L-loves listening to show tunes; first job was folding newspapers

J-first job at a grocery store

L-fav dish to cook is spaghetti;  fav hobby is reading; first tattoo was treble clef

J-fav music is country; hardest part of program is watching people order the food he wants to eat; fav holiday is Christmas

L-goes swimming to relax; fav season is summer; last meal before starting program was chicken salad

J-fav color is blue

L-misses red meat and potatoes the most; prefers tea over coffee

J-new fav food is asparagus

L-#1 travel wish is to go to Italy; prefers cats over dogs; fav holiday is T'giving

L-new favorite dish is --Wait for it!!!!--- Grilled SHRIMP  (I told you to remember the shrimp)  well, maybe he is eating gulf shrimp so his pet freshwater ones are safe.

J-used to play drums; wants to vacation in Cabo

L-would buy new house if he were to win lottery;  would like to learn to play piano; knew as teenager he wanted to go to cosmetology school

J and L-both love living in the D-FW area of Texas, and they would not want to live anywhere else

I want to play piano for Lonnie and sing show tunes with him and then have a nice tasty dinner of grilled shrimp with him.

• Love 10
18 minutes ago, Twopper said:

fav hobby is reading

That's something we don't see much on this show (I only remember one other person, whose name escapes me, who we actually saw reading books for fun; and there was one, I'm not sure if it was the same woman or not, who really enjoyed being able to finally get out and go to the bookstore to pick out a new journal).

22 minutes ago, Twopper said:

prefers tea over coffee

Hey, me too!

• Love 2

I always get bored when the people are nice and reasonable.  I couldn't help but root for Lonnie and John, they were great.  And their mom was awful.  Lonnie was a pretty attractive guy.  

• Love 6

Boy, that snuck up on me, I had no idea the show was back, so this is me, late into the game. 😄
A nice, easy episode to start off the season. I know we're all eager to get to the trainwrecks, but you know I realized that I need to be eased into the bad ones, can't hit me with an Angie J first episode, that'll fuck me up for the rest of the season.

It's unanimous, Lonnie and John are awesome and are a delight. Anybody who can get Dr. Now into a smiling mood each visit is someone you want to get behind. Loved these guys, and I loved how they are with eachother and other people, there's a great energy about them... or maybe it's just Lonnie. 😄 Great episode and a great start to the season.

Like a couple of you, I thought the stuff with the mother may have been staged. I mean based off how she was during the dinner, I didn't expect that confrontation scene to go well, but she was surprisingly calm and like "You can talk to me about anything...".... but, hey, pretty sure the waking up scenes are staged too... unless the camera crew snuck in and watched them sleep waiting for them to wake up.

Just on an off point, when Lonnie bought he and John clothes the first time, he held up a shirt and one of them said "we can be twinkers (or twinners)" and I got an image of Andy Samberg with a goofy grin going "Yeah, you can!" 😄

• Love 3

I like that both brothers are actually supporting each other, and the whole family (sans Mommy Dearest) showed for some of the appointments.    

I hate that so many clothes for plus sizes are the horizontal stripes, I've noticed that for men and women's clothes.      

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
On 1/4/2020 at 2:09 PM, Twopper said:

John doesn't need to be wearing horizontal stripes.   I am surprised Lonnie buys them for him.  In the scene where they are shopping, Lonnie is buying a shirt with horizontal stripes, and in the scene with the Hawaiian shirts, he also hands John a shirt with horizontal stripes.  We never see Lonnie in horizontal stripes.   Just sayin'....

I

At their size, I personally don't think striped shirts are an issue; nothing is going to make them look small (or smaller), and probably not a huge selection of patterns at that size anyhow.

They are my favorite poundticipants, and wish them both continued success.

• Love 11

Lola was not professional when she cut Lonnie when he was trying to talk about his father. I know it is probably staged but it didn’t sound right.

About the therapy issue, why was not mentioned before in the show?

I am sorry for John, even 30 years later he is still overshadowed by his brother. I am am glad he has found a family for himself.

I like they are being successful... I hope we have more positive stories this season. Last season was depressing.

• Love 4
On 12/27/2019 at 4:45 PM, dreadfulLeigh said:

John: I’m not eatin how I’m supposed to. 

Several hours earlier: slides 2 tubes of Pringle’s into Tupperware. 

John really looked like an over sized 9 year old boy and it was sad.  I am glad he and Lonnie seemed to be successful.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, nokat said:

You did mean that, and laughing. We have all seen the shower scenes. 

Nah, honest, just a figure of speech. Which I regretted, but not enough to spend the time to think of another one, I guess. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I think John's speech is a combination of no front teeth, top or bottom, and maybe something physical, such as tongue tied (don't look it up, it's icky, and easily remedied).    

I'm watching the rerun, and tuned in just in time to see them both getting approved for surgery.    I love a success story.  

That dinner scene with the mother was horrible, and the last scene with Mommy Dearest was even worse.     The mother has never been sorry for anything, and if she could still send Lonnie to conversion therapy she would.      I hope the sons aren't supporting her now, because she deserves nothing. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

Watching the rerun now.  Their mother is a total jackass.  "I miss the big meals we used to have".  Look sweetheart.....you're a few pounds away from having to wear Velcro sneakers because you won't be able to bend over to tie your shoes so just shut up.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

Did anyone notice that Lonnie didn't have a shower/toileting scene? Since he seems pretty smart, my guess is that he somehow negotiated that (and that other poundticipants haven't been able to).  I'm sure TLC wanted both brothers, so he would have had leverage.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I just saw your story. Ronnie, it's your time to live, live,  live! This time you can choose what and how your life will be and who will be in it. John is not you and may not ever demonstrate the inner strength that you possess. Your life groomed you to the person you are, and his life is on a different inner strength path. Ronnie, pull from your strength to defeat your urges to eat unhealthy foods. The weight is holding you hostage in your own body! Defeat the food demon of your past. It can happen, I know, I am a gastric bypass winner. I am cheering for both of you. All things being equal, your mother is living in her world and day. She doesn't know how to exist in your new world. It's up to you to let her exist there. You have choices!

I finally just watched these guys and wow, how refreshing! I hope they are continuing to do well. It was fantastic to see John finally start smiling as he made more and more progress and his life improved. And Lonnie is a sweetheart!

i know I’m sailing solo on the Lola love boat. I think her manner is perfect for some of these folks who cannot bear any kind of pain, physical or emotional. Her gentle demeanor seems to click with certain patients. Granted, Lonnie seemed sincerely to be ready to to tackle his issues and forge ahead and in fact did so. I can’t wait for their WATN. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 4
(edited)

Lonnie has a "public figure" Facebook page that I follow. He's pretty good about posting things. Random things I remember: he's been working out at a gym, did his first spin class this week, has been working to create a patio in his backyard, posted a photo of himself with a couple of friends attending a drag show, posted his feet in new shoes which are a size smaller ("feet lose weight too"!), and with a picture of a firepit posted how great it was to be able to sit down on the ground (with his friends around the fire) and not worry about getting stuck there. He really comes across as a positive person who's engaging with life and taking its challenges with a good attitude - and with lots of gratitude for how his life has improved. 

I swear, Lonnie's FB page is a mental palate cleanser after some of the disappointing episodes this season. Go, Lonnie! ❤️

ETA: He hasn't posted any full body photos or details of his current weight status, I'm sure because of contractual obligations with the show. But he has written about his activities and I hope we get an update episode with Lonnie and John. Lonnie posted photos of street art and said he and John had enjoyed walking around and seeing it, so it seems they are both in much better shape now than they used to be. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
On 3/6/2020 at 9:45 PM, Jeeves said:

Lonnie has a "public figure" Facebook page that I follow. He's pretty good about posting things. Random things I remember: he's been working out at a gym, did his first spin class this week, has been working to create a patio in his backyard, posted a photo of himself with a couple of friends attending a drag show, posted his feet in new shoes which are a size smaller ("feet lose weight too"!), and with a picture of a firepit posted how great it was to be able to sit down on the ground (with his friends around the fire) and not worry about getting stuck there. He really comes across as a positive person who's engaging with life and taking its challenges with a good attitude - and with lots of gratitude for how his life has improved. 

I swear, Lonnie's FB page is a mental palate cleanser after some of the disappointing episodes this season. Go, Lonnie! ❤️

ETA: He hasn't posted any full body photos or details of his current weight status, I'm sure because of contractual obligations with the show. But he has written about his activities and I hope we get an update episode with Lonnie and John. Lonnie posted photos of street art and said he and John had enjoyed walking around and seeing it, so it seems they are both in much better shape now than they used to be. 

I follow Lonnie on Instagram and he sometimes shows pictures of his clients’ hair, including John’s wife.  He is a talented hair dresser.  

• Love 5

Okay, in these troubled times, as something to feel good about, I want to share Lonnie's new post on his public Facebook page.

Note that not only is Lonnie actively caring for the garden at his house, John is mowing yards to make extra money. Mowing yards!!! GO, you Lambrick brothers, GO!! ❤️❤️

991302083_ScreenShot2020-03-28at7_40_06PM.png.b981349f3d13d99a601b6fa9fc78f616.png

• Love 8

Glad to hear they're both doing better...but I'm watching the episode right now, and I really cannot with John's pre-surgery monotone sad-sack voice overs about how desperate to go to Houston because they've tried everything (cut to 2 Pringles cans being opened) and nothing ever works (cut to said Pringles cans being dumped in a rubbermaid trough for the drive). 

I've seen several episodes of this show and seriously, that kind of bullshit line just gets to me every time. What do they think something "working" looks like? The episode opened with John's breakfast of 5 or 6 fully loaded chili dogs and a platter of tater tots. 

It feels like: if I were standing in my kitchen with lettuce and veggies in the fridge and defrosted chicken in the meat drawer and pots and pans in the cupboard and I'd be like "Gosh, I just can't make dinner happen, I've tried everything but it just doesn't work." Um you have to actually do the cooking and preparation?

Others have noted, in posts on one of these threads, that there's a passivity and distance when poundticipants refer to "the weight" as something "other". Same thing with the eating habit(s). "I've tried everything and it doesn't work." Okay. You've tried some things, maybe, and you didn't like doing them. You've tried some things, and you found them very hard. What you've actually tried that isn't working is eating 6 chili dogs and a platter of tater tots for breakfast. All the time. 

Sigh. Rant over.

On a brighter note, Lonny seems really sweet and fun. (The clothes shopping for John is adorable!) His brother, I have no idea how he is married. I don't see what he offers. He's so lethargic and dull, there's not exactly a sparkling personality and keen mind happening there.  

• Love 4
On 1/3/2020 at 3:48 PM, newyawk said:

I forgot to add that all through the episode, every time Lonnie spoke, I thought of that "Oh NOOOOOO!" guy, Bruce, from Family Guy.  But I kind of loved that, 😄

I literally dug up this thread to see if anyone else has said that 😂

• Love 1

I got a notification that someone liked a post on this thread, so I was looking through it to refresh my memory. Went and looked up Lonnie's Instagram and holy cow he looks amazing! He has some pictures where you can see how loose the skin on his torso is, but when he's dressed you would never know; he looks like a completely different person. I looked for some pics from the show for comparison and you can see the smile is the same (but bigger now!). He seems happy.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CV3rJDmlsuj/

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 5