Type keyword(s) to search

Flirty Dancing - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Season two of this show needs to use some of the rejected dance partners and find dance dates for them.

ETA: I really appreciate how much the show is a breath of fresh air and a no-drama, positivity break from the news and stress and everything else right now. 

ETA: Another poster commented on this and it’s starting to make me wonder too: the bright white tennis shoes were cute once, but in every episode??? it’s getting to be a little much. You can’t tell me they couldn’t find some cute pairs of colored or patterned keds or dance sneakers to have the women wear.

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 4
On 1/20/2020 at 1:49 AM, luvthepros said:

Camera angles can be blocked with stand-ins. The show doesn't show it but, it is also possible the people being set up for matches do practice at the site where they will perform their dance. I think those rehearsal sessions are not shown so the site will be a surprise for the viewers. Just my take on it.

I always assumed that the people practiced on site with the assistants just like they practice in the studio.  They just don't show it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Finally got to binge watch this show (had to wait until I had an empty house so I don't get any "You're watching ANOTHER dance show?" ribbing) and I was looking forward to feeding my dance-show-addiction.

I only know Jenna from World of Dance. She's okay!

Wasn't prepared to see other show alumni - it was fun to see Val and Sharna, etc.

After the first couple of shows, I felt smarter playing Jeopardy! than I do with these matches... I kept picking the one who was rejected.

As others have said, the slow dances seem to capture the most connection, and the wardrobes are mostly fantastic. I love the dancing... and the lack of drama "packages".

So far, I'll keep this on my vcr... someone upthread said 'mindless' and that's the word I'd use to describe this entertainment. Suspension of disbelief is a necessity.

Overall, I enjoyed it, and especially like the ending reveal as to the current status of the couples.

The only downside? The people not chosen for the second date. I want to give them all a hug. Most of them are a good demonstration on how to handle rejection. Obviously, they're on camera. They'd have to use the bleeper on me as I'd be spewing a lot of 4 letter words.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
40 minutes ago, Bliss said:

Finally got to binge watch this show (had to wait until I had an empty house so I don't get any "You're watching ANOTHER dance show?" ribbing) and I was looking forward to feeding my dance-show-addiction.................

Hi Bliss,

Just wondering....are you the same Bliss who met a group of us in NYC. We were all Evan Lysacek fans when he appeared on DWTS several years ago.

6 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

6 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

Edited by luvthepros
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, luvthepros said:

Hi Bliss,

Just wondering....are you the same Bliss who met a group of us in NYC. We were all Evan Lysacek fans when he appeared on DWTS several years ago.

Yes! That was 2010 and the group met in NYC. I was only there in spirit... however, I was part of the online group, planning the get-together. I'm still in touch with many of the women who attended. Unfortunately, Marj passed away a few years ago... I miss her so... we had the best times together!

13 hours ago, Bliss said:

Yes! That was 2010 and the group met in NYC. I was only there in spirit... however, I was part of the online group, planning the get-together. I'm still in touch with many of the women who attended. Unfortunately, Marj passed away a few years ago... I miss her so... we had the best times together!

Oh....you weren't there? I did hear about Marj. I do remember the great times we had conversing about our favorite. Good to "see" you!!

Edited by luvthepros
  • Love 1
On 1/2/2020 at 6:47 AM, ShaNaeNae said:

Cute show but I also wondered about how many times they actually danced.  Seems to me it would take several takes just to get the right camera angle, etc. 

I initially thought they only danced once but there was a recent episode (I can't remember which couple it was now) where at the end of the dance her hand was lightly rested on his chest and when the camera cut to another another angle, her hand was suddenly inside his shirt. On the next cut, her hand was outside his shirt again. I don't see how her hand could have moved that fast so it made me think it was multiple takes.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Jadzia said:

I initially thought they only danced once but there was a recent episode (I can't remember which couple it was now) where at the end of the dance her hand was lightly rested on his chest and when the camera cut to another another angle, her hand was suddenly inside his shirt. On the next cut, her hand was outside his shirt again. I don't see how her hand could have moved that fast so it made me think it was multiple takes.

Great observation!

• Love 1

I thought it was weird that the second couple didn’t try another date.  They seemed to like each other a lot.  That said, I think she should have given the first guy a chance as he seemed so joyful throughout their dance.  

The first guy—I thought it was so strange that the first girl was so distant as they seemed compatible.  I am glad he felt comfortable with the second one and they seem to like each other.  

• Love 2

I think most of these people are only on the show for career exposure and not to actually find love. They just don’t have the contractual requirement to be together for 6months or whatever that the Bachelor franchise seems to require. If you go to the show’s Instagram page it will lead you to everyone’s individual pages. They are all musicians, writers, actors, etc.  They all have professional looking photos on Instagram and some even go so far as to say they were hoping to get cast for The Bachelor. Flirty Dancing is fun to watch the dances, but only a few of the couples seem to have really been looking for love. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Didn't like these last two episodes. Didn't like why they didn't ask cheerleader girl about the head shake. Didn't like the other host for last episode. Didn't like football player guy.

but the worst - "guys i tend to go for, if they look like a douchebag, they are generally my type". WTF?!? you can use that word on regular tv? Very classy, honey.

Edited by seasons
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, seasons said:

Didn't like these last two episodes. Didn't like why they didn't ask cheerleader girl about the head shake. Didn't like the other host for last episode. Didn't like football player guy.

but the worst - "guys i tend to go for, if they look like a douchebag, they are generally my type". WTF?!? you can use that word on regular tv? Very classy, honey.

I think these episodes were the last ones and on a Saturday for a reason.  Nothing really worked out as well as the other episodes.  Not terrible but it was missing something.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, alexa said:

I think these episodes were the last ones and on a Saturday for a reason.  Nothing really worked out as well as the other episodes.  Not terrible but it was missing something.  

Same. I like Jenna as host; she brings a compassionate, personal feel to the show.

In the first show last night, I loved the woman Navi’s first “fast dance” dress and and both dresses that Alex’s partners wore. They had cute practice outfits, too. I normally don’t like booties with dresses, but the little flat boots that Alex’s first dance partner wore with the red dress were adorable. (I really need to find a way to shop this show.)

I was really impressed with the trust Navi showed during her second dance that the guy would have the chair there for her in time when she went to sit down! 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, seasons said:

Didn't like these last two episodes. Didn't like why they didn't ask cheerleader girl about the head shake.  

but the worst - "guys i tend to go for, if they look like a douchebag, they are generally my type". WTF?!? you can use that word on regular tv? Very classy, honey

Was channel surfing so didn't catch all the episode is cheerleader girl Ashlee? If so what did Ashlee shake her head about? 

Also wow so she only went with Steve because he looked like a "douchebag"? Classy.  It was obvious to me as soon as Steve said he had a kid that Ashlee was out. Kudos to Steve for that being basically the first thing out of his mouth.

Oh and blonde hair is not Steve's friend.  

• Love 3

The cheerleader was named McKenzie she was the brunette that did the second dance with Alex in the first hour. (I missed anyone doing a head shake, though, so I need to rewatch that part.)

ETA: The blonde woman in the red dress and booties who did the first dance with Alex is the one who shook her head. It was right at the end of the dance just before the two left to do post-dance interviews. Yep. That was a no from her. Glad he chose the other woman, then.

Edited by PityFree
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

I liked these last two episodes, but it was depressing no one made a connection. I'm not surprised all are aspiring actors or models as posted above, I've commented before that some should be on The Bachelor ... which I guess they were trying to be! Some are too OTT, like the blond fellow with the high hair last night. I wouldn't respond well if I turned around and saw Eddie Haskell standing there. I also wondered about occupations. One was a FORMER NFL player (at least two or more years ago) and the last guy was a drummer. What, he just plays his drum set in his garage for income?

That last dance, the blond woman and the drummer, was all hot and sexy. Travis Wall at his most bestest. I might know how that one date ended ... yowza. I need some Travis choreography in my life.

I liked the British host who took over for the last episode. I wonder if Jenna was in hospital having her baby.

I wonder if the Indian woman didn't chose the Indian man because of family nagging.

I thought all the dancers were dressed great for their routines (except for those huge, clunky, glowing white tennis shoes, geez guys, stop with them). All except the football guy who couldn't even put on a jacket for his romantic dance. Now that's a douche in my eyes.

Speaking of, I didn't hear "douchebag," but I did hear her say she was attracted to bad boys. I wonder if some cable stations didn't edit while antenna network did.

The first couple in the first episode, at the end it said they "both had just had their last first date ... shoot." To me, that means they were together, there would be no more first dates for them, they were a couple now. Eh.

I guess none of the couples made it past that initial meeting. Sort of like The Bachelor ... on to other famewhore hawkings. Still, I like this show, it's some fresh air after the hate and vitriol other "reality" shows thrive on.

(I'm terrible about names. I should take notes.)

• Love 1
On 1/20/2020 at 2:49 AM, luvthepros said:

it is also possible the people being set up for matches do practice at the site where they will perform their dance. I think those rehearsal sessions are not shown so the site will be a surprise for the viewers.

In one of the past episodes, maybe the second, Jenna's VO said the first person had been sent to location to practice there while the next person was coming into the studio to learn choreo.

I like to watch the background to catch a glimpse of the PAs and camera people. While it looks to viewers like the two dancers are alone, there is a ton load of people all over the place. One dancer commented he blocked everyone out to concentrate on his woman partner. There are multiple cameras, and editing is done back in studio. I've noticed that when dancers flub, those scenes are edited around.

I like how, when the dances start, my tv screen goes to wide-angle, like watching a movie.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I like how, when the dances start, my tv screen goes to wide-angle, like watching a movie.

I agree; I wish I had a fancy protection set that would grow the picture instead of shrinking it.

Full disclosure: I know Mark, the former baseball player who was chosen by the Indian woman. He's definitely not a model/actor.

• Love 4

I liked the British host (as he from the British show?) WAY better than JDT who spends way too much of my life gushing and cute-ing and taking credit for the matchmaking.  I've seen clips of the British show and it seems to have a much more solid feeling to it, but I can't really say whether that's just the good clips that end up on youtube.  Anybody seen a whole epi of the British show?  I'm wondering if maybe they have better, more real, casting?

I thought the Indian girl and Indian guy were an extremely attractive pairing and that the guy she picked was trouble brewing (aren't they the ones who stopped dating after the first time? I would really want to go back to the other person if that happened to me..  I really hoped Khairi would pick the girl he didn't too.  So both of those were disappointments.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, MarkHB said:

Full disclosure: I know Mark, the former baseball player who was chosen by the Indian woman. He's definitely not a model/actor.

How well do you know Mark ... MARK? He was extremely good looking, he was my favorite of the night. He looked great in that suit besides being handsome. All that, plus I love baseball. (He could easily be a model, for sure.) I hope he had a good time on the show, and being eye candy for some viewers!

On 1/20/2020 at 6:19 PM, PityFree said:

Season two of this show needs to use some of the rejected dance partners and find dance dates for them.

That would make next season (crossing fingers) SO much fun, since we sort of know these people already. This gets a big YES vote from me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, MarkHB said:

I agree; I wish I had a fancy protection set that would grow the picture instead of shrinking it.

But even he has a specific Instagram post with Bachelor and Bachelor in Paradise merchandise where he mentions that he questions if he did the right thing turning down that show. So maybe not a model or an actor, but definitely someone who wants to be on reality shows. 

• Useful 1
11 hours ago, PityFree said:

In the first show last night, I loved the woman Navi’s first “fast dance” dress and and both dresses that Alex’s partners wore. They had cute practice outfits, too. I normally don’t like booties with dresses, but the little flat boots that Alex’s first dance partner wore with the red dress were adorable. (I really need to find a way to shop this show.)

You might try asking Melissa about the boots on Instagram. She might be able to tell you who makes the boots or at least put you in touch with the show’s costumer. 
https://instagram.com/melzlove?igshid=d20by2qej74j

• Love 1

13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The first couple in the first episode, at the end it said they "both had just had their last first date ... shoot." To me, that means they were together, there would be no more first dates for them, they were a couple now. Eh.

Yes, same. I think they were still dating (whether that's still the case, who knows).

• Love 1
On 1/26/2020 at 8:37 AM, Fireball said:

Was channel surfing so didn't catch all the episode is cheerleader girl Ashlee? If so what did Ashlee shake her head about? 

Also wow so she only went with Steve because he looked like a "douchebag"? Classy.  It was obvious to me as soon as Steve said he had a kid that Ashlee was out. Kudos to Steve for that being basically the first thing out of his mouth.

Oh and blonde hair is not Steve's friend.  

The cheerleader girl is not the one who shaked her head. 

One of the brunettes was the one that said that she likes guys that look like douchebags.  She was picked by the former NFL guy not Steve.  They didn't last.

On 1/26/2020 at 11:01 AM, saber5055 said:

I liked these last two episodes, but it was depressing no one made a connection. I'm not surprised all are aspiring actors or models as posted above, I've commented before that some should be on The Bachelor ... which I guess they were trying to be! Some are too OTT, like the blond fellow with the high hair last night. I wouldn't respond well if I turned around and saw Eddie Haskell standing there. I also wondered about occupations. One was a FORMER NFL player (at least two or more years ago) and the last guy was a drummer. What, he just plays his drum set in his garage for income?

That last dance, the blond woman and the drummer, was all hot and sexy. Travis Wall at his most bestest. I might know how that one date ended ... yowza. I need some Travis choreography in my life.

I liked the British host who took over for the last episode. I wonder if Jenna was in hospital having her baby.

I wonder if the Indian woman didn't chose the Indian man because of family nagging.

I thought all the dancers were dressed great for their routines (except for those huge, clunky, glowing white tennis shoes, geez guys, stop with them). All except the football guy who couldn't even put on a jacket for his romantic dance. Now that's a douche in my eyes.

Speaking of, I didn't hear "douchebag," but I did hear her say she was attracted to bad boys. I wonder if some cable stations didn't edit while antenna network did.

I guess none of the couples made it past that initial meeting. Sort of like The Bachelor ... on to other famewhore hawkings. Still, I like this show, it's some fresh air after the hate and vitriol other "reality" shows thrive on.

(I'm terrible about names. I should take notes.)

It wasn't Ashlee that said douchebag.  Ashlee said bad boys.  It was a brunette that said it.  She was picked by the former NFL guy.

Ashlee and Steve (the drummer) seemed to have a lot of chemistry.  That dance was hot.

I thought the couple that said they were goofy (it was the first couple from the first episode) did say that they wanted to go on a second date.  Like you, I also though that Navi and Mark hit it off when they said it was their last first date.  But then they put "shoot" so I guess that's not what they meant.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 2

I also took it to mean that Navi and Mark had continued to date. I thought the "shoot" thing was just making fun of him, because the man said that a lot. Like, A LOT, a lot.

...shoot. I just watched both episodes straight through on Hulu and have absolutely zero recollection of the first dude on the first date of the first episode.

On 1/25/2020 at 9:04 PM, PityFree said:

Oh. Lederhosen. Huh. 

ETA: I would consider a professional cheerleader for the NFL to be a kind of professional dancer.

Oh, yep, now I remember. You nailed it, on both comments. I actually was worried she might judge him pretty harshly on his dancing, given her career. And the fact that he put some of the German dancing into his "freestyle" part was a serious facepalm moment for me. Like, even if you are REALLY GOOD at it, that kind of dancing inserted into an otherwise modern dance routine is going to look 100x goofier than it does on its own. Also, I too was annoyed that they didn't ask the other girl about the head shake, but figured her answer would probably give the ending away. But then she's all hoping he shows up and feeling sorry she was so uptight during the dance? I'd call producer shenanigans, except she was such a Sweet, Small-Town GirlTM.

The first couple from the second episode had a second date, but then things "fizzled out." But at least now we have proof that someone who is designated for the fast dance date can still have a shot!

When the girl who danced second on the second episode finished the dance with Steve and said "I know bad boys, and I'll never trust a bad boy," I was positive she wouldn't pick him. So then when she did, I was like, okay, guess that sexual chemistry was really intense, and maybe he can show her he's not so much a bad boy, even though he looks the part. She didn't seem very interested him being a parent ("Oh, I love kids!" says every person who does not really love kids, ever, when put on the spot and presented with someone who has kids), and then when he went into how he felt like this whole situation was like Cinderella, where she left her shoe and he didn't know if he'd ever see her again, I thought, "well that certainly killed any ladyboner she had for him," but THEN she put her foot up on his knee, I was like, alright, that's flirtation, this could work! But then *sad trombone* it didn't. Boo to you, Ashlee. 

I am pretty sure the last episode with the British presenter was the episode they used to first pitch the show to the networks, and they only showed it to burn it off, since they don't plan to renew it. I mean, I don't KNOW it's not being renewed, I actually hope they do renew it, but I'm comfortable saying the Magic 8 Ball would say "Outlook not so good."

Edited by dvr devotee
*her* foot on his knee, not *his*
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, dvr devotee said:

I also took it to mean that Navi and Mark had continued to date. I thought the "shoot" thing was just making fun of him, because the man said that a lot. Like, A LOT, a lot.

This is also how I took it.

• Love 1
On 1/20/2020 at 6:19 PM, PityFree said:

Brandon who was rejected by Erin in episode 1 and  Melissa who was rejected by Alex in episode 5 are now dating. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I just binged this and found myself enjoying it. I appreciated that it was mindless with no drama. I agree with others that they need to do the same dance or both slow or both fun. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Angeleyes said:

I did some internet sleuthing and it seems like the only couple from Season 1 that’s still together is Alex and McKenzie and they are dating long distance. 

They're cute together.  Also thanks for your other post on Brandon and Melissa even though I don't remember Brandon.  I remember Melissa since she was the one that shook her head.

• Love 2