Type keyword(s) to search

The Circle - General Discussion

Primetimer
  • Start Topic

Ouch, it has to sting for Matthew that he didn't win because he ranked James first.

Sophia bugged me in the finale, maybe it was nervous energy, but she was too hyper and loud. Reading the explanation of her rankings, and I'm like no, you absolutely would not have made it as far as you did without Nick. The other side wanted her gone, and he saved her.

• Love 7
On 9/29/2021 at 8:37 AM, Melina22 said:

I'm happy with the winner, but slightly unhappy with how the final vote works. It seems to me that the strongest players are automatically placed last, which explains Nick and Kai in the last two places. Meanwhile the top three are generally people the others thought weakest. I don't know how someone is supposed to navigate this when they play. How do you play so you're popular enough to make F5, but unpopular enough to make F2? That said, the winner was a pretty good player, although not the best IMHO. So I'm happy but wish there was a slightly different way of choosing the winner. Maybe more of a jury thing? 

Was just coming on here to post this exact thing.  The final ranking makes no sense.  So, you're supposed to play tough and strategic the entire game but that ends up biting you in the butt in the end?  That doesn't make sense.  I think Nick should have won, Kai 2nd.

5 hours ago, Evie said:

Sophia bugged me in the finale, maybe it was nervous energy, but she was too hyper and loud. Reading the explanation of her rankings, and I'm like no, you absolutely would not have made it as far as you did without Nick. The other side wanted her gone, and he saved her.

Totally agree.  She was a little too proud of her gameplay.

• Love 6

I didn’t mind who won because James played a good game and seemed genuine.  I was shocked that Nick got 5th.  That was a bummer.  I wouldn’t have minded if Ashley or Kai won either.  Sophia/Isabella rubbed me the wrong way the entire series.  She seemed so bitter at her sisters too.  It was kind of disturbing to put your family on blast like that. 

• Love 4

I didn't see her as bitter at her sisters at all. She seemed really hurt by how much other people always made sure she knew her sisters were prettier than her though. I felt kinda bad for her because when she mentioned that to the others, none of them tried to make her feel like she was pretty too, they were just like stone-faced lol.

• Love 7

Nick. Was. Robbed. I can't fault the others for seeing that he was the biggest threat, and therefore ranking him last. But damn, he really played the best game out of all of them 100%.

• Love 9
16 hours ago, LBS said:

I didn’t mind who won because James played a good game and seemed genuine.  I was shocked that Nick got 5th.  That was a bummer.  I wouldn’t have minded if Ashley or Kai won either.  Sophia/Isabella rubbed me the wrong way the entire series.  She seemed so bitter at her sisters too.  It was kind of disturbing to put your family on blast like that. 

I didn't care for Sophia at all and agree she seemed bitter about her family situation. I also got some bitterness toward her sisters. She said she loved them, but some of those comments and how she felt about them -- she's a bitter Betty. 

I'm OK with the winner, but don't feel he did anything to win this except be middle of the road. I wish they would have voted with their hearts and not strategically -- who played the best? Who really deserves to win? I think Kai or Nick would have won because they both played great games. When Nick was rated 5, I thought Ashley was going to sneak into first, which I would have preferred to the winner. James did seem genuine, but he wasn't much of a player IMO.

• Love 5
On 10/1/2021 at 10:52 AM, peachmangosteen said:

I didn't see her as bitter at her sisters at all. She seemed really hurt by how much other people always made sure she knew her sisters were prettier than her though. I felt kinda bad for her because when she mentioned that to the others, none of them tried to make her feel like she was pretty too, they were just like stone-faced lol.

I noticed this too!😅  And although Nick tried to play it cool, the disappointment when he saw her (before she told him she was gay) was written all over his face.

• Love 7

Okay I am about episode 7 in this season and I have to say that I am finding it really difficult to binge watch like the way I did the previous 2 seasons. Not really liking many in this group (i.e) Nick, Isabella, Ashley, Jackson but I am loving the circle twists :) I find that the players aren't as smart as previous players in terms of reading each other. They are all over the place, have wrong assumptions of each other and seem to be easily persuaded.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Yea, that was really awkward. I hope Sophia didn't pick up on it.

I don't think she did at the time, but if she watches the show she definitely will. Of course, I'm sure he got over it pretty fast. According to Taran's show, he was out on a date with "Jackson" pretty quickly. 

It might take him longer to get over coming in fifth though. Not just because he wanted the money, but because it didn't seem logical, that the two most influential players ended at the bottom. Well, I guess it was logical if you understand how they all voted, but was it fair? 

Edited by Melina22
  • Love 6

Since the premise of the show is about popularity yet the final vote has nothing to do with that I wonder if there is something that they can do differently to choose the winner. Perhaps don't even have a final ranking. Instead do a culmination of all votes throughout the season. Or at least take those past ranks into consideration along with the final vote.

I think as they seasons go on people have picked up on how to game the system a little more so they need to tweak the show.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, lynxfx said:

Since the premise of the show is about popularity yet the final vote has nothing to do with that I wonder if there is something that they can do differently to choose the winner.

Exactly. Every other show is more straightforward in the winner. The person who did the best, competitively, strategically, and/or socially, and makes it to the finals, has a good shot at winning. On The Circle, doing the best is good for getting you to the end, at which point it becomes a handicap. 

• Love 4
On 9/22/2021 at 10:38 PM, AntFTW said:

I’d lose my mind being a contestant in this game. I couldn’t sit in an apartment by myself for that long. It also seems like they don’t actually interact with the other players that much. It seems like the circle chat is only open for conversation for a certain amount of time and games don’t last that long. Therefore, they have to be there with their thoughts, remote control toy cars and books. I’d go crazy. I’m pretty introverted but not that introverted to sit in an apartment for several weeks by myself like that. It looks like the days would take forever to go by.

I cranked my introvert superpowers up to 11 during times over the last year and a half, thanks to taking COVID precautions and quarantining much of that time.  With books and crafts, etc., I'd be perfectly content for weeks.  I realize I'm weird.

On 9/24/2021 at 5:36 PM, AntFTW said:

To say I’m disappointed in James’ gameplay is an understatement. Maybe he wins and I eat my words. But for now, to have a great chance at winning the game and having people that would rank him high and then to give those people up is just… a disappointment. Jacki would have absolutely ranked James #1 in everything. Had he saved Daniel, that would have been his bridge to a deeper relationship with Daniel.

Well, James did win, but -- like you, ANTFTW -- I was disappointed that he caved to Nick during both of their influencer sessions.  It seemed like he ended up winning in spite of his gameplay, not necessarily because of it.

On 9/27/2021 at 4:18 PM, Melina22 said:

Not only that, but I read that the lights in the rooms are so bright that it's really hot, all day long. It's like being in the Big Brother house with no people, and only two small rooms. No wonder they love being influencers, they get a change of scenery.

The only benefit is that unlike on BB, they're allowed to read books. 

I believe they also individually get time on the roof in the hot tub and in the exercise room.

On 9/29/2021 at 9:37 AM, Melina22 said:

Nick was legitimately shocked and disappointed at first to discover Isabella wasn't real. You could read it all over his face for at least the first couple of minutes. But he was a good sport about it. 

Didn't he say something at one point that it didn't matter what Isabella looked like?  That clearly was not the case by the look on his face when Sophia walked in.

General thoughts:  What's the point of having multiple photo albums, when they only end up sharing 2-3 photos?  I feel like in past seasons they shared more pictures -- am I misremembering?  

Also, I think some posters have stated that it doesn't really matter if someone's a catfish or not.  Maybe not for the people that come into the Circle early -- they have more of a chance to share their personality (real or made up) and bond with everyone.  Someone coming in new has less opportunities to bond and a hot, young single person who is willing to flirt may very well have an advantage with certain players.  Whether it's fair or deserved, decades of research have shown that being considered attractive generally means that other people treat you better.  And, yes, I know that's a generalization and doesn't apply to all people and all situations.  But, if you're coming into a game with $100,000 on the line, I can see wanting something that might possibly give you even just a little bit of bump with the other players.  In all of the various Circle seasons around the world, has anyone extremely attractive ever catfished as a really unattractive person?  Just curious (and, if so, how did it work out for them?).  Also, someone that's catfishing is, by definition, lying about who they are.  I wouldn't be surprised if the idea that someone who lies about who they are is somehow less trustworthy isn't in the back of the other players' heads...even if just subconsciously. 

Edited by MMLEsq
Reorganized my thoughts...
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, MMLEsq said:

General thoughts:  What's the point of having multiple photo albums, when they only end up sharing 2-3 photos?  I feel like in past seasons they shared more pictures -- am I misremembering?  

I feel like I remember each of them showing 2 in the 1st season, only 1 in the 2nd season, and 1 this season. And then I think maybe Kai and Calvin showed 1 other pic.

• Love 1
On 9/22/2021 at 9:38 PM, AntFTW said:

It seems like a show that would take less than 3-4 weeks to shoot.

I’d lose my mind being a contestant in this game. I couldn’t sit in an apartment by myself for that long. It also seems like they don’t actually interact with the other players that much. It seems like the circle chat is only open for conversation for a certain amount of time and games don’t last that long. Therefore, they have to be there with their thoughts, remote control toy cars and books. I’d go crazy. I’m pretty introverted but not that introverted to sit in an apartment for several weeks by myself like that. It looks like the days would take forever to go by.

They chat with producers as often as they want. Sometimes in an intercom type system, others face to face. That's why they always know how to pronounce the names of the other contestants. It's not a isolation test. Also tons and tons of chats are left on the cutting room floor (they posted an article after season 2 about how the show isn't as lonely as it looks)

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I think John/"Carol" could be fun! I've been waiting for someone to deliberately catfish as a mom-type woman rather than a young hot one.

Parker would likely be the first to go if she went in as herself, so she's smart to play as her dad.

• Love 1

Most of these people will get eliminated and replaced by different people anyway... and there's always at least one original member I think I'll hate and end up liking. I'm looking forward to the new season!

• Love 3

I've watched 2 1/2 eps and this season is really fun so far. I am SO pumped they actually got some of the Spice Girls! I thought for sure that'd be a trick since I assumed they would have promoted that more.

I'm actually really liking everyone so far. I feel like I won't like the new guy, I think it's Alex, but I thought I wouldn't like a few of the originals and I ended up liking them so we'll see.

Parker was easily my least fave so I was glad she went first. Her dad Paul is hot though. I kinda wish he had actually been there lol.

• Love 6
(edited)
28 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I've watched 2 1/2 eps and this season is really fun so far. I am SO pumped they actually got some of the Spice Girls! I thought for sure that'd be a trick since I assumed they would have promoted that more.

I'm actually really liking everyone so far. I feel like I won't like the new guy, I think it's Alex, but I thought I wouldn't like a few of the originals and I ended up liking them so we'll see.

Parker was easily my least fave so I was glad she went first. Her dad Paul is hot though. I kinda wish he had actually been there lol.

I had to watch to like the people but I LOVE THEM! The cast reveal teaser doesn't do them justice. I'm only halfway through the second episode but Yu Ling killed me with "open communication, loyalty ...and great dick" in their #Throuple chat. I was dying. I was not expecting that.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Love 4

Now that Parker is gone, there's really nobody I dislike. Carol and YuLing are probably my early favorites.

I'm sure they're getting a lot of help from the writers, but The Spice Girls are really charming, much more human and likeable than I would have thought. 

• Love 3

I believe the Spice Girls are so cute in how much they want to fool the others so that they get the extra $$. It makes them very likable. 

I like Frank but in small doses is best. Carol is adorable, both in physical and catfish form. 

• Love 6

Oh snap!!!!!!!! They really did get a couple of Spice Girls!  I just finished the first episode and honestly it kinda dragged a bit but they hooked me right back in at the end.

Though considering that more than one of these players didn't know Rod Stewart or what a memoir is, is there a chance that they may not recognize the Spice Girls (once the IRL reveal happens inevitably)?

• Love 1

Never listened to the Spice Girls and if they continue with they petty arguing I think I'll mute when they are on. Frank us a little too much. But really like "Carol" and Yu Ling. Sex girl is an admin asset. She's 28? Why do players think she would know anything? Can't they read a bio?

I’m loving the Spice Girls. I think their bickering is hilarious. Glad Parker was the first eliminated because she was my least favorite. I’d be happy to see Alex (who is playing the young bro whose name I cannot remember) go next.

Pretty sure the majority won’t correctly identify the profile of the Spice Girls. I don’t think they’ve shown Yu Ling’s vote yet, and she was surprised when the first Jared vote came up, so I don’t think there’s any way she voted for Jared. 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Michichick said:

Pretty sure the majority won’t correctly identify the profile of the Spice Girls. I don’t think they’ve shown Yu Ling’s vote yet, and she was surprised when the first Jared vote came up, so I don’t think there’s any way she voted for Jared. 

I was gonna ask whose vote had to be revealed still so thanks for this. I agree, it doesn't seem like Yu Ling would have voted for Jared so it seems likely the prize money will be upped.

I'll be sad to see Emma and Mel B go. They're so fun! But I enjoy everyone so I think it'll still be entertaining.

• Love 6

I don't think I've ever laughed so much in the first four episodes of any previous Circle season.

Emma and Mel B are hilarious. Watching them go back and forth trying to be one person is funny. I imagine they take forever to respond on everything because everything is a debate.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I always forget how much I enjoy this show. I like everyone except Parker, so I'm glad she was the first to go. And I gotta say, seeing "Carol" immediately hit on her and propose a "love story" based solely on her looks (because he knew nothing about her actual personality) was disappointing and made him drop in my estimation a little bit.

Mel B and Emma are doing a great job! They've had some genuinely funny jokes, done some good flirting, and they played the detective work really well. I don't think they're going to get caught. I'm disappointed that they seem to be leaving either way, although I understand that a couple of celebs likely wouldn't want to do the entire season. Also, Cookie is adorable. My eyes are on her every time she's on screen!

So far I'm probably rooting for Crissa, Yu Ling, and Frank the most; they all seem fun and sweet and haven't attacked anyone without reason. Yu Ling's flirting is the best. The throuple convo was fantastic.

• Love 4

Joey from season 1 is in the first ep of the new season of Girls5eva. He's playing himself and has a few lines. Crissa from this season is in the third ep but doesn't have any lines. I wonder if someone on the Girls5eva staff is a fan of the Circle?

• Love 1
On 5/5/2022 at 10:35 PM, zenithwit said:

Though considering that more than one of these players didn't know Rod Stewart or what a memoir is, is there a chance that they may not recognize the Spice Girls (once the IRL reveal happens inevitably)?

Not only that but didn't Parker not really know who Carrie Underwood was either? SMH....That girl is dumb as a post. She was just not smart enough to pull off playing as her dad. She should have stuck to what she knows - herself.

"Carol" having to endure the vagina talk with the girls was hilarious. I'm surprised he didn't get called out on the cake more though. I was expecting Jack levels of embarrassment like the makeup challenge. He's lucky he was an influencer. Don't say you are a baker and not expect some challenge involving cake, especially since that has been on this show before!

It's become a little less fun for me since the Spice Girls left! I just don't care about most of the players this season.

At this point I think Yu Ling is my favorite. Frank has been annoying me by sounding like he's reading from cue cards at all times -- just a really stilted, awkward delivery -- and Nathan's constant ridiculous hand movements are driving me nuts. I'm not surprised that Crissa went home; she seems really cool but was not a great game player. Alyssa is the opposite; she seems like she's meaner than she lets on but she's a good player. Finally, I'm amused that basically everyone thinks Carol is a catfish but hardly anyone actually cares!

Oh, and someone definitely had fun with those fake popups. "Hot Circle players in your area," "Select all the squares with catfish," "5 Secrets Catfish Don't Want You to Know," and my favorite, "Is it fine to let a pet kiss you on the mouth? Take the quiz!" The antivirus chain is a neat blocking mechanic, too. That's definitely going to shake up some alliances.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
15 hours ago, Cranberry said:

At this point I think Yu Ling is my favorite.

Same.

15 hours ago, Cranberry said:

Oh, and someone definitely had fun with those fake popups. "Hot Circle players in your area," "Select all the squares with catfish," "5 Secrets Catfish Don't Want You to Know," and my favorite, "Is it fine to let a pet kiss you on the mouth? Take the quiz!" The antivirus chain is a neat blocking mechanic, too. That's definitely going to shake up some alliances.

I wouldn’t have thought that it would came down to Alyssa and “Carol.” If “Nathan” had chosen Alyssa, I’m pretty confident that “Carol” would be going home and there would be no mystery to this at all. Alyssa would have saved Bru over Carol.

Yu Ling was put in a position where she had to reveal her allegiance. She had to choose between one of her two alliances. The Circle will always make you choose. She should have figured that would come at some point.

I wish it was Bru that would on the chopping block. I can do without him.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, GonnahearmeRoar said:

Can’t wait to watch Wednesday- who do you think Bru will save?  I am leaning toward Alyssa a little. 

I hope it's Alyssa.  I really don't like "momma Carol".

• Love 2