Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Primetimer

The Circle

Recommended Posts

Quote

Truth, lies, and influencer ties—players will be whoever and do whatever it takes to win in The Circle, a new reality-competition series, streaming January 1 on Netflix.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

This show is bangin'! I've watched both seasons of the UK version and it's awesome. It's hilarious; catfishing, lying, game playing, Big Brother - get rekt. 

Adding this to my 'to watch' list, get in.

Here's a trailer for anyone outside of the US (the above one doesn't work for those of us elsewhere):

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

This is amazing, All of these people are totally horrible, but I'm going to keep watching and just accept that I will hate myself a little for it

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

I just watched 2 episodes and could barely restrain myself from going straight into a third. This show is going to be my next obsession, I can tell. It's weirdly, bizarrely entertaining. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I love this show! I went into it thinking it was a spin on Big Brother but it's so much better and whoever did the casting did a great job. Except for Joey (who seems to have escaped from Jersey Shore) I like all these guys. Well, maybe not Miranda - she's still a cipher. And the hostess/commentator is hilarious.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

At first I couldn't get over how conceited some of them were, but after awhile I was laughing out loud, a lot. Particularly at the guy who's posing as his girlfriend. His faces and antics are hilarious. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

I would be SOOOoooooOOO bored hanging around that apartment.

I am enjoying this, tho. The narrator can be pretty funny 

Edited by OoogleEyes
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, OoogleEyes said:

The narrator can be pretty funny 

MIchelle Buteau has always been hilarious. She was great on VH1s Best Week Ever and Comedy Knockout on TruTV.

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

After seasons of hating myself for watching Big Brother I was in serious need of a new reality show with a social experiment aspect to it and I am loving this concept.

Who are your favorites so far? I like most of the cast except Joey can be a little annoying and the new guy Alex/Adam seems to be a know-it-all jerk. Maybe I'll warm up to him later on.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, Melina22 said:

Particularly at the guy who's posing as his girlfriend. His faces and antics are hilarious. 

He is my favorite because he is just soooo into it. He seems like he is really just having a blast and not taking the whole thing too seriously. 

I honestly find it fascinating watching how these people are entertaining themselves while stuck alone in those apartments. It is so randomly hilarious. 

14 minutes ago, jiminycrispies said:

Who are your favorites so far?

I just finished the ep where Miranda joined so I don't know the one who joins after her but my fav is surprisingly Sammie, who I didn't like at first, and Shubby, the guy playing Rebecca and the one playing Mercedeze (I am surprised that the two catfishes turned out to be two of my favorites lol) are also faves as is Chris (though he can get a bit OTT for me at times, but he does have a great positive energy). 

The only ones I haven't liked so far have been Antonio and Joey. Antonio seems like an egotistical dick and Joey is trying waaaaay too hard to be cast on Jersey Shore. 

I didn't really think I was going to like this and figured I'd try to hate watch one ep but I am totally hooked. This show is the poster child for guilty pleasure. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

The only ones I haven't liked so far have been Antonio and Joey. Antonio seems like an egotistical dick and Joey is trying waaaaay too hard to be cast on Jersey Shore.

Antonio is just...there. I feel like everyone else is trying to make connections and starting conversations and he just does nothing unless someone else tries to message him. I think the only people he's messaged are Mercedeze and I think Rebecca/Seaburn

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

While the whole catfish angle is going to be interesting, I'm wondering about Karyn's (Mercedeze) use of someone else's photos for herself.  At least the guy catfisher is using his girlfriend's photos with her permission - what happens to the woman whose face is used on this show?

That said, I like Sammie and "Shooby."  I also love looking at the details of each person's apartment.  At least they get books, craft supplies and journals to keep them somewhat occupied - unlike Big Brother, where they have to spend three-plus months with only the back of a cereal box for reading material.

As someone who is less than savvy when it comes to social media, I also think it's interesting what they are inferring from each other's posts and chats.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

43 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

While the whole catfish angle is going to be interesting, I'm wondering about Karyn's (Mercedeze) use of someone else's photos for herself.  At least the guy catfisher is using his girlfriend's photos with her permission - what happens to the woman whose face is used on this show?

I can only speak for the British version but as it seems it's the same production company (and it's def the same building in the UK being used), afaik the show/contestant has obtained permission from the person whose pics they are in advance.

  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

Binged watched the first batch yesterday and I'm hooked. So far, my favorites are Sammie, Shooby, and "Mercedez". Surprisingly, I don't dislike any of them. Joey really grew on me after Antonio's elimination and his conversation with Miranda. So are they going to keep adding new people after eliminating somebody?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

This is definitely a case of different strokes for different folks, I guess, because I couldn't make it more than 15 minutes into the first show before I could not stand any more of these loud, obnoxious people.  Not my cup of tea. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I love this so much, I am binging the UK version right now (I am on episode 15 of season 1).

My faves are Shooby and Sammy but I don't dislike anyone. I wish Joey would take it from an 11 to a 8 but he is fine otherwise. 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I think Shooby is correct in his real life to dislike/stay away from social media and am conflicted watching him fall victim to its manipulative charms in the game.

I was a little surprised that Chris was able to talk Shooby into blocking Antonio, but I guess it was a choice between him and Joey. I feel like Joey would never give Shooby the time of day IRL so seeing them become friends is interesting.

And yes, Alana. Saying you're a model is always going to be perceived as boasting by some people and was not a good decision in terms of this game.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

So far I kinda want shubam (spelling?) to win!  He seems the most real out of all of the players,and he would probably be the only one not to blow all of the money completely. I also like Sammie (although she was being kind of a hypocrite for her reaction towards Miranda’s video) I like Chris, but he can be kinda over the top, it’s like he’s trying way too hard to be a witty drag queen from RuPaul’s drag race constantly. I like Vinny as well, he’s a bit cocky, and flirtatious but not in a huge douchebag way. The guy playing Rebecca gets so into all of the gossip in those all girl private chats, I love it! 😂😂

Don’t like Miranda,she seems like she’s there to have a private blind date with everyone. I don’t understand why they all think Mercedez is a “BOSS” also why is the catfish playing her all ways eating something? I swear I haven’t seen her doing anything else! ( nothing wrong with that either I’m just curious) 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Me and the missus are loving it. Binged all four episodes and can't wait until Wednesday. 

Where can we see the British version?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Machiabelly said:

Where can we see the British version?

This is my question too. I found it on YouTube and binged the first 4 episodes of season 1, and then it vanished!! I can't find it now for some inexplicable reason. Any suggestions? I'm in withdrawal 😁

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Machiabelly said:

Me and the missus are loving it. Binged all four episodes and can't wait until Wednesday. 

Where can we see the British version?

4 hours ago, Melina22 said:

This is my question too. I found it on YouTube and binged the first 4 episodes of season 1, and then it vanished!! I can't find it now for some inexplicable reason. Any suggestions? I'm in withdrawal 😁

Both UK seasons are available online at Channel4.com; you'll need to sign up (free) AND more importantly; use a VPN (here's a free one that works) to make your IP address read as being in the UK. I guess the question is; how bad do you want to watch it? lol.

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Interesting tidbit re UK vs US versions; in the UK it airs six nights a week over three weeks and also has some audience participation. In the second series they added a weekly 'in the studio' segment too where they interviewed blocked players etc, it was hilar to see them reacting to the catfishies, hee.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

In the second series they added a weekly 'in the studio' segment too where they interviewed blocked players etc, it was hilar to see them reacting to the catfishies, hee.

Watching their faces as they meet the catfishers is going to be one of the most interesting parts. But I can see certain players being devastated that the person they think they've built a strong bond with, and are excited to meet, does not exist. That will be sad to see, but the perfect lesson to people who don't know or forget how easy it is for people to take on fake personas online. 

Edited by Melina22
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

Watching their faces as they meet the catfishers is going to be one of the most interesting parts. But I can see certain players being devastated that the person they think they've built a strong bond with, and are excited to meet, does not exist. That will be sad to see, but the perfect lesson to people who don't know or forget how easy it is for people to take on fake personas online. 

When they meet them they usually are shocked then quickly accept the catfish's reasons (or at least pretend to, who knows). In the UK series 2, when they revealed the catfishes to blocked players in the studio on a screen, it was mostly just pure shock. Nobody has taken it super-badly yet, not that we've seen anyway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Circle UK Season 2 had a contestant, Tim, who brought his cat. Circle US needs a cat. I loved Circle UK and I imagined that Netflix would ruin the US version but I'm so relieved to really like it. (I hope I love the winner, I haven't loved either of the two UK winners.)

I'm kind of sorry they booted Alana. I wanted to get to know her better. I wanted to hear more about how horrible the ramifications of being, um, too beautiful are. (Did you guys know she's a model?!) She's so brave to go on TV and actually Tell The Truth about being a model and being JUDGED all the time (mostly by ugly people for sure) based solely on her looks! Hope she writes a book.

Edited by zibnchy · Reason: to add something
  • Like 4
  • Laugh 8

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, SilverStormm said:

 Nobody has taken it super-badly yet, not that we've seen anyway.

You need to watch the first and better series/season then.

  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

I am annoyed by the overusage of Emojis.  Other than that, I wish we didn't have to wait for episodes each week.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, amazingracefan said:

You need to watch the first and better series/season then.

That's my opinion, you're entitled to yours. Out if interest, who did you think took it super-badly?

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

That's my opinion, you're entitled to yours. Out if interest, who did you think took it super-badly?

Most obviously Dan.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, amazingracefan said:

Most obviously Dan.

Ok, according to post-show media interviews (which I don't bother with) it seems he did but he def didn't show it to any great extent at the time. Pity, because I was waiting for the drama which never came (esp in S2 with the guy who pretended to be a single mum) which really surprised me.

Share this post


Link to post

18 hours ago, crimson23 said:

I am annoyed by the overusage of Emojis.  Other than that, I wish we didn't have to wait for episodes each week.

Agree! I hate that. The main reason people enjoy Shows for Netflix is because they don’t have to wait a whole week for a new episode.  Especially shows like this where you’re trying to follow along Trying to remember and keeping up with everyone’s actions and conversations within the game.

 

Edited by Hellohappylife
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Hellohappylife said:

Agree! I hate that. The main reason people enjoy Shows for Netflix is because they don’t have to wait a whole week for a new episode.  Especially shows like this where you’re trying to follow along Trying to remember and keeping up with everyone’s actions and conversations within the game.

Yeah, the waiting is crappy. It's been a long week already and it's only been 5 days.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, zibnchy said:

Circle UK Season 2 had a contestant, Tim, who brought his cat.

Season 1 had the guy who brought his turtle! And the woman who brought her baby! 

I was just excited to find out they're releasing 4 episodes every Wednesday, not one. I'm curious to see if I'll be able to spread the watching over 4 days. (Spoiler:I won't be. 😁

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

Pity, because I was waiting for the drama which never came (esp in S2 with the guy who pretended to be a single mum) which really surprised me.

The second year was different, the producers wanted to push the whole catfish hunting theme from the start, the catfish had no showmance as well.  The single mother aspect wasn't that controversial to me, the main emphasis was more on the health issues of a couple of contestants (which weren't faked). 

The US version hasn't gone for much controversy yet.

Edited by amazingracefan

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Hellohappylife said:

Agree! I hate that. The main reason people enjoy Shows for Netflix is because they don’t have to wait a whole week for a new episode.  Especially shows like this where you’re trying to follow along Trying to remember and keeping up with everyone’s actions and conversations within the game.

Yeah, I don't have a great memory so binge watching is perfect for me. I binged the first four (it's been four now right?) eps and was able to follow along, keep everyone straight, etc. But I was done on a few days ago and now I'm already forgetting what happened and who is who. Non-binging sucks! 

I also don't like the ending on a cliffhanger concept. It wasn't until re-reading here that I remembered some new guy showed up, but we didn't really get to see much of him and I don't think the others even know he's there yet. The show just tends to end in really annoying/awkward places. I assume it's to get us to "tune in next time" but I already planned to. The only reason I wouldn't is if I get too annoyed by the cliffhangers. Then I'll just wait and watch all at once, which is what I should have done. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Yeah, I don't have a great memory so binge watching is perfect for me. I binged the first four (it's been four now right?) eps and was able to follow along, keep everyone straight, etc. But I was done on a few days ago and now I'm already forgetting what happened and who is who. Non-binging sucks! 

I also don't like the ending on a cliffhanger concept. It wasn't until re-reading here that I remembered some new guy showed up, but we didn't really get to see much of him and I don't think the others even know he's there yet. The show just tends to end in really annoying/awkward places. I assume it's to get us to "tune in next time" but I already planned to. The only reason I wouldn't is if I get too annoyed by the cliffhangers. Then I'll just wait and watch all at once, which is what I should have done. 

Some of the cliffhangers on the British show were extreme, such as on eliminations.  It was a new concept so maybe they weren't confident on keeping the audience.  Though the next show was the following night so not long to wait. 

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Okay, so it's 8.30am and I've already watched 2 more episodes and I'm fighting with myself not to watch another one. I'm totally obsessed with this show. 

When I heard the premise of the show, I couldn't picture how it could possibly be watchable, but I love it. I'm laughing so much. 

I already know that I'll be doing well to get to lunch without watching the next 2 episodes 😁

I'm shocked at how bad Adam appears to be at this game. He seemed to think he was a super smart player, but right off the bat he was offending and/or putting people off. I don't expect him to be around long. 

Bill on the other hand is starting really strong. I can see him winning. 

Edited by Melina22
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Still just me? Well, it's 1.30pm and I just finished episode 8. I'm dying that I have to wait a week for the next episode! What an addictive show. 

Share this post


Link to post

OMG, the guy who was playing his girlfriend during the period conversation.  That was comedy gold.

Ok and in episode eight

Spoiler

The new guy brought his mother.  Lol

 

Edited by meatball77
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm offended that the plus-size woman whose JOB is to represent plus-size women feels like she has to look thin to be taken seriously. That negates everything she thinks she's accomplishing in real life.

I do love the fact that most of these people read- that's one thing that always bothered me about Big Brother - no one ever seemed to miss books.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

I would never have thought Joey would be my favorite but he actually seems like a genuinely good guy. Chris would exhaust me in real life but the juxtaposition of vocal Christian and flamboyant Gay is interesting on TV.

Creepy ass Adam/Alex can't go away soon enough

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, docmatt said:

I would never have thought Joey would be my favorite but he actually seems like a genuinely good guy. Chris would exhaust me in real life but the juxtaposition of vocal Christian and flamboyant Gay is interesting on TV.

Creepy ass Adam/Alex can't go away soon enough

Joey is slowly winning me over.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, anniebird said:

I'm offended that the plus-size woman whose JOB is to represent plus-size women feels like she has to look thin to be taken seriously. That negates everything she thinks she's accomplishing in real life.

I do love the fact that most of these people read- that's one thing that always bothered me about Big Brother - no one ever seemed to miss books.

I agree, and she chose a cookie cutter skinny blonde.  Although if you saw the end of the last episode we'll see where that goes. . ..

Seeing them go throughout their daily lives is also interesting.  Some of them have notebooks and are taking notes on everyone, others are drawing or doing puzzles and some of them spend a lot of time in the bathroom.



 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, meatball77 said:

 

 

4 hours ago, meatball77 said:

OMG, the guy who was playing his girlfriend during the period conversation.  That was comedy gold.

My left side is hurting! 

Seriously, I was laughing so loud 

Edited by Melina22
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Then all the girls are like, um I've never heard of that before.  Do you have appendicitis. . .

  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, anniebird said:

I'm offended that the plus-size woman whose JOB is to represent plus-size women feels like she has to look thin to be taken seriously.

Right? I'm already pre-pissed at her. Be yourself and don't erase your boyfriend. You don't have to be a slender blond hottie to be nice, or clever, or to make fucking friends!

I hope Karyn also learned that lesson. It was the fake-ass, photoshopped pictures of someone else that ultimately did her in. Jeez.

11 hours ago, docmatt said:

Creepy ass Adam/Alex can't go away soon enough.

He is SO weird and icky! His "sexy talk" to the women makes me want to gag. The only good part is Michelle making fun of his wardrobe. Plus he's another idiot who thinks being handsome is what it takes to win.

I like Sammie's apartment the best. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I was surprised when I read last night that the US version of this show is filmed in England. I guess it makes sense to use the building the UK show already had all ready. 

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't realize there was another episode and now Sean has spilled! It's understandable that she feels guilty about lying, but maybe she shouldn't have tried it in the first place. I wonder how much the producers prod people to be one of the catfishers.

It's annoying to wait week to week. I think reality shows are one of the best genres to binge because all the typical hype, teasing, producer fakeouts, and cliff hangers don't matter.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, 2727 said:

I didn't realize there was another episode and now Sean has spilled!

I was shocked she was going to tell several people! I can see her telling maybe one, but several? How will it even work if half of the players know her real identity and half don't? There's no way it'll stay a secret, and it's hard to imagine it not backfiring on her. 

In a way I'm glad she's telling though. I feel like there's something so demoralizing about trying to interact with people who think you're movie star gorgeous, all the while knowing you're... not. I can see someone like Alex not really caring, but you know Sean cares, and doesn't feel good about it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

The reveal was probably planned, though it wasn't said in advance like in the version last year.

You always get the motives for catfishing in this show, but the reality is the producers want some people to catfish for the drama so they'll always script the motivations for them anyway.  I hope for more controversy than just bigger women pretending to be thinner beauties, I hope the producers try something bigger.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size