Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
BetterButter

Tenet (2020)

Finally saw this on HBO Max and I enjoyed it.  I didn't go in with any expectations, so my brain was hurting a bit by the end.  I didn't realize the protaganist was Denzel Washington's son until the credits. He did a good job and can really wear a suit.

I am going to have to watch again because I really couldn't figure a lot out with the plot, but was grateful that Avengers Endgame explained time travel...😄

I went in completely blind, as I do with films nowadays as the trailers give away too much, and knowing Nolan's work I knew it would demand my full attention.  I completely got it on first viewing.  It's like Robert Pattinson said Nolan was surprised Pattinson understood the script after first reading it. But also like Pattinson, when I revisited it that's when the trouble started.  It's like what Clemence Posey's scientist character says in the film, "Don't try to understand it- feel it." And that what worked for me. If I ignored all the big concepts of inversion and time, and just focused on a story of a man trying to stop destruction and helping out a woman in an abusive relationship, it was easier on me.

• Like 1

I finally watched this on HBO yesterday. Having the captions on helped, because I understood the gist of the story if not every little detail. For the final battle sequence, I was pretty lost. Character development is not really the point of a movie like this, but the ending would have hit harder if I cared more about the Protagonist and his motivations. Couldn't he at least get a name?

I looked up Tenet explanations after watching the movie and saw lots of speculation that Neil is Kat and Sator's son from the future. I'm not sure if that was what Nolan was going for, or if it makes sense with this movie's version of time travel, but I don't hate the idea of it.

Edited by Dejana

On 5/3/2021 at 9:45 AM, jah1986 said:

was grateful that Avengers Endgame explained time travel...😄

Personally, I thank Futurama, which not only handled the 'science' of all this better, but also solved the riddle about the dying grandpa. *g* 

I appreciated attractive people in attractive clothes and Kenneth chewing scenery, which seems to be his go to mode for villainous turns these days, and good fight scenes -- all in all, fine for a Saturday night.

Character development is not really the point of a movie like this, but the ending would have hit harder if I cared more about the Protagonist and his motivations. Couldn't he at least get a name?

IMO character development is not really the point of any Christopher Nolan film.  If there is an emotional beat to be found it's thanks in part to the actors.  For example in "Inception" with Cobb's heartfelt pleading to Mal in the hotel room, that was Leonardo DiCaprio's suggestion.  I was surprised by the father/child relationships in "Interstellar" only to realize that Jonathan Nolan wrote the script and when he decided not to make it, he gave it over to Chris who made some changes to it (chiefly making the core relationship be between a father and daughter rather than a father and his son).  All that to say is that I find Nolan's films sterile, which I don't mind because his concepts are so thrilling. I just think he doesn't deal in character studies very well. 

Tenet on HBO was enjoyable,  an above average popcorn flick, but some of it just didn't make any sense to me.   I don't mean the slingshot time travel, but the fact that the villain literally wanted to kill everyone including his son if his life was ending.

When you have such a no holds barred over the top megalomaniacal  villain, and Kenneth at his best chewing scenery mode,  I at least expect 007 to come out and save the day.

As others mentioned, Nolan is interested more in his mind-game/conundrum byzantine plots  than any people in his movies.   The "concept" IS the film for him, and while it might come across as sterile and cold, hey at least it's not mindless action like so many films today.

John David  Washington I found a little wooden, in a Keanau Reeves Matrix kind of way,  and calling him pretentiously "The Protagonist" didn't help matters.   Plus unfair to Elizabeth Debicki but her role was sooo similar to what she played in "The Hotel Manager" on that tv miniseries that it was distracting to me.  Strangely enough, I thought Robert Pattinson was the best salvaged/character out of this, because he somehow managed real screen  presence and squeezed out some charisma. 

• Like 2

On 5/10/2021 at 8:21 PM, caracas1914 said:

Plus unfair to Elizabeth Debicki but her role was sooo similar to what she played in "The Hotel Manager" on that tv miniseries that it was distracting to me.  

Yeah but she now has great practice playing a wife in an unhappy marriage when she portrays Princess Diana in season 5 of The Crown!

I just watched the movie and was so confused. I'm probably going to watch some YouTube videos explaining it and then rewatch it.

Edited by VCRTracking

On 5/2/2021 at 4:13 AM, TiffanyNichelle said:

I was bummed last year that I couldn't see this in IMAX but it turns out I think I understood it a little better watching it at home with the close captioning on. It was ok but not one of my favorite Nolan movies. Maybe a rewatch sometime later would help?

ETA I paused so many times to marvel at how much John David looked and sounded just like his daddy, a comparison I'm sure he's probably sick of, lol.

They have the exact same voice, it's so funny.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Also they missed an opportunity to have the guy who played Viktor Krum as one of the henchmen so he could join Cedric Diggory and Fleur Delaceur in the movie!

• Laugh 1