Type keyword(s) to search

Speculation for Season Two: The Mandalorian

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, benteen said:

I would love to see Luke appear, even if it was only a quick one-shot.  I would think something like Baby Yoda would draw his attention.

One way to explain why he never appears in Episode 7  - 9 is that Baby Yoda was delivered to the Skywalker School For Gifted Children where Kylo eventually killed him.

I think one thing is pretty certain for Season 2, and that is that Mando still needs to earn credits. He will probably need work and need an income at some point.  I don't think he has an endless supply of credits, based on what we have seen, so he will need to take jobs sooner or later.  Fuel alone is costly, not to mention anything else he needs credits for.  And yet he seemed to imply to Greef and Cara that he has more important things to attend to (Baby Yoda) than being a bounty hunter in the Guild.  So will he take random non-Guild jobs?

Chances are that Mando is not going to find Baby Yoda's "own kind" right away.  I wouldn't even be shocked if there is a bit of a time jump in Season 2.  He probably can't just go flying all around the galaxy and checking every planet to see if that's where the baby belongs.  He will probably need to stop and hang out in certain locations for a bit, before moving on to the next stops.  This is assuming that he doesn't find out that Gideon survived right away, which might cause him to constantly be on the move/on the run to get off of Gideon's radar.

And Mando is going to have to find someone who knows even a tiny bit about Baby Yoda's own kind (Force users or his species), and yet everyone who sees the baby doesn't know what he is, so clearly not many people know much about the baby's own kind.  Pershing and/or Gideon might be his best bets for more info, even though Gideon wants Mando dead.

Edited by TVFan17
clarified a thought
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, TVFan17 said:

And Mando is going to have to find someone who knows even a tiny bit about Baby Yoda's own kind

Usual Suspects:

• Boba Fett
  • Jabba Jr. (Or any gang member that Luke did not kill)
  • Fennec (if her memories survive resurrection)
  • Jar Jar or any old Gungan
  • Akbar Jr.
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, paigow said:

Usual Suspects:

• Boba Fett
  • Jabba Jr. (Or any gang member that Luke did not kill)
  • Fennec (if her memories survive resurrection)
  • Jar Jar or any old Gungan
  • Akbar Jr.

Why them? We have no idea that any of them have ever met Yoda's people? However, Luke and Chewie have actually interacted with Yoda. They're worth talking to.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Anduin said:

Why them? We have no idea that any of them have ever met Yoda's people? However, Luke and Chewie have actually interacted with Yoda. They're worth talking to.

All of them know about Jedis / Sith. Knowing Yoda is irrelevant. Finding Luke & Leia is the endgame.

I'm hoping he goes to the core, just so we can see him in a more sophisticated world. How do people react to a Mandalorian on Corellia? Does Mando act differently in that type of atmosphere? I would assume he would feel out of place and awkwardness might ensue. : )

Lots of random speculative thoughts...

The more I think about it, I will not be too shocked if we see Force Ghost Yoda (or even real Yoda in a flashback sequence) make an appearance as the story of Baby Yoda plays out.  I'm not confident that he will show up, but, IF he does, I won't be shocked.  It would be a relevant guest appearance, in other words.

But I still think that we will get a bit of info about the Baby in one of Moff Gideon's dramatic, menacing speeches.

As everyone knows, Bob Iger recently mentioned the possibility of infusing more characters into the show after Season 2 (and then taking those added characters in their own direction in terms of series).  I know that Season 2 was already filming and almost wrapped up when he made that comment, so that's why the characters would have to be added in Season 3 and thereafter (with a rumored, unconfirmed, potential for 5 total seasons of the series).

...But it does make me wonder if there is some significance to Disney already thinking about infusing characters beyond Season 2 -- characters who are important or interesting enough that they would possibly get their own series.   Is someone on the main/original cast disappearing or dying in Season 2, leaving a void that needs to be filled in Season 3?  Is Mando going to find someone to leave the Baby with in Season 2, leaving the door open for a spinoff series featuring Baby Yoda and whoever is taking care of him?   Is Mando going to continue the search for the Baby's own kind in Season 3, leading him to meet these new characters?  Or is the Baby Yoda mystery going to be solved in Season 2, leaving Mando and Baby Yoda to continue their adventures in Season 3, which will lead them to meeting totally new and fascinating characters? 

Disney,  Favreau and Filoni must already have an idea of where the show is going after Season 2,

Also... I was scrolling through the Instagram pages of the two known stunt/body doubles for Pedro Pascal on The Mandalorian -- Brendan Wayne and Lateef Crowder dos Santos, because the IMDB listings are vague as to which scenes either man is in.  I know they're not supposed to specify exactly how many scenes they are in and how many scenes Pedro Pascal was not in during Season 1, but they definitely indicate quite a few of their own scenes on their pages -- and they mention a lot of other crew members and sometimes the cast, but they don't always mention Pedro Pascal, which is interesting. 

In this article from December 2019 -- https://winteriscoming.net/2019/12/11/the-mandalorian-meet-the-guy-whos-actually-under-mandos-helmet-most-of-the-time/ -- it is stated that Brendan will be back for Season 2.  But... in looking at his Instagram page, I noticed that Brendan was out of commission for a chunk of time after the filming of Season 2 began.  The new season was supposed to have begun filming in October.  Brendan was leaving a hospital in early November.  He went to see Sasha Banks at the Staples Center in late December (she's rumored to be in Season 2) BUT he didn't get back to working out/training at the gym until December 31st.

So it seems like Brendan must have either suffered an injury on the set or had some other sort of health problem, and he was unable to work for a while.  It looks like he might not have been working at all between at least the beginning of November and the end of December, if not longer -- so the better part of 2 months, although I think the production broke for the holidays in the last couple of weeks of the year.  He has not indicated if he has been working on The Mandalorian since 2020 began.

Now Lateef has been working on The Mandalorian off and on since Season 2 began filming, but I think his scenes are usually more action-based.  In other words, if someone has to sit in the cockpit and hand a shiny ball to Baby Yoda without talking, it would probably be Brendan and not Lateef.  Lateef would be the one doing a lot of the crazy action scenes.  Brendan would be doing the action scenes AND the other non-action scenes that Pedro wasn't in.

So... all of that is to say... did another stunt guy fill in for all of Brendan's scenes during the time he was not working on Season 2, or did Lateef take on all the heavy duty action scenes, while someone else took on more of the non-action roles... such as PEDRO??  Is Pedro Pascal actually going to physically be in most of the non-action scenes in Season 2?  I don't know if he will or not, BUT I suspect we will see his face again.  I'm betting that the face reveal in Season 1 was not the last time it will happen.  I can't see why they would show his face once and then not show it again -- if they were going to do that, they might as well have just kept his face covered until a later season.

• Love 1

I think Brendan had a burst appendix. Or something in his gut burst. I don't think he was out of action for too long. I think Mando had 4 stand-ins in season 1. I also noticed that Lateef's latest post was a fan video of Mando and he wrote "My brother Brendan bringing all the epic swag to the Mandalorian ... still amazes me!" Which to me is basically saying, Brendan was in the suit most of the time. It amazes me how angry some Pedro fans get when you mention that. They just don't want to believe it, and think that you're somehow dishonoring Pedro.

33 minutes ago, pezgirl7 said:

I think Brendan had a burst appendix. Or something in his gut burst. I don't think he was out of action for too long. I think Mando had 4 stand-ins in season 1. I also noticed that Lateef's latest post was a fan video of Mando and he wrote "My brother Brendan bringing all the epic swag to the Mandalorian ... still amazes me!" Which to me is basically saying, Brendan was in the suit most of the time. It amazes me how angry some Pedro fans get when you mention that. They just don't want to believe it, and think that you're somehow dishonoring Pedro.

Production on Season 2 was supposed to have begun on October 14th.  Brendan was getting out of the hospital early in November.  He posted something about being "back in the saddle again" in mid-December.  (But I think that the production was just about to take a holiday break around that time.)  He wasn't back in the gym and training until the very end of December, when he said "...today marked the first time I was able to workout and have a bit of normalcy."

I'm leaning towards thinking that Brendan may or may not have worked on the show at the very beginning of the production of Season 2; then had to go to the hospital and was out of commission for a bit with his health issues; then resumed work on the show when everyone came back from holiday break in early January.  I could be totally wrong, but my feeling is that he was not able to work for a while -- at least one full month, if not longer than that -- unless he was doing only non-action scenes on the show in November/early December, which is very possible too. 

Lateef and other stunt people would have had to take on a lot of the action scenes in the interim.

But who knows?  Maybe Pedro Pascal is actually going to be seen in the suit -- with or without the helmet -- more often in Season 2, depending on what's going on in the scenes.  He wasn't working on the same projects during the filming of Season 2 that he was working on during the Season 1 production.  And he was in Los Angeles at various points throughout October, November, December, January and February.  So maybe he was able to go to the set and physically be Mando more often than he could when Season 1 filmed.  He might have been more available to do on-camera work this time, and he could have filmed some of that while Brendan was out of commission.   We just don't know.  We might never know or get confirmation about how often Pedro is or is not in the suit in Season 2 unless we actually see his face.  I think we will see his face again, for sure -- but how often it will happen, and under what circumstances, is the question? 

Maybe Bryce Dallas Howard will once again direct an episode set on Sorgan and she can make sure that Omera finally removes Mando's helmet this time around!  lol

I know that it will be a very interesting turn of events if Mando finds himself without a helmet and is suddenly interacting with and reacting to Baby Yoda using his own facial expressions that we can see, instead of just sighing and sounding annoyed in voice-overs.  lol

• Love 1
(edited)

First things first, this show is my new obsession. The only thing that will keep me from going nuts before October will be 1. I'm crocheting Baby Yodas and 2. What We Do In the Shadows 2nd Season starts 4/15. (Apparently I have a thing for Taika Watiti.)

As for the show, some random musings, in no particular order:

1. I don't think they would bother to cast a high-caliber actor like P. Pascal unless they intended to show his face a little more often. A couple of stunt men and a cheaper voice-over actor would work just as well if that was the case.

2. I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion, but I don't trust The Armorer/Blacksmith. Mando trusts no one, but trusts her implicitly. That doesn't sit well with me. For example, she told everyone that the other Mandos were dead. Well, did they really die in that battle in Ep. 3 or did she kill them all later? If they had all died in that battle, how come Apollo Greef didn't seem to know anything about it? You'd've thought word would have gotten to him by then.

3. I am convinced that we will see Fennic again. Again, she's too big/good an actress to waste on one episode. (But then, look what they did to Mark Boone, Jr. SOA treated him better.)

4. Step aside Miss Omera, I'm shipping Mando and Cara hard. (I believe the official name of the ship is Caralorian.) I need this to happen; it will help soothe my post-TROS wounded feelings.

5. Very few people can exude menace like Giancarlo Esposito...and I didn't even watch Breaking Bad. I would like to know how he came to possess the Darksabre. Is he a wayward Mando or did he steal it in the Great Purge? Either way, his end needs to be slow, epic, and at Mando's hands.

That's all for now--may edit to add more later.

Oh, and Baby Yoda melts my cold, middle-aged heart every time I see him.

ETA: This, which I'm putting in Spoilers cover in case someone hasn't seen TROS yet:

Spoiler

If they have now determined that the Palpatine in TROS was a clone, perhaps Baby Yoda is actually that...Baby Yoda...in other words, a Yoda Clone.

Edited by vadare
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

Production on Season 2 was supposed to have begun on October 14th.  Brendan was getting out of the hospital early in November. 

Ah yes, sorry. I misread the date on his hospital pancakes post. : )

3 hours ago, vadare said:

1. I don't think they would bother to cast a high-caliber actor like P. Pascal unless they intended to show his face a little more often. A couple of stunt men and a cheaper voice-over actor would work just as well if that was the case.

2. I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion, but I don't trust The Armorer/Blacksmith. Mando trusts no one, but trusts her implicitly. That doesn't sit well with me. For example, she told everyone that the other Mandos were dead. 

I think voice acting is very difficult. I judge this by how many foreign shows I've watched on Netflix that were dubbed and had horrible voice acting. I now pretty much have to commit to paying attention to the screen and watching with the subtitles. But I agree that I don't think they would hire Pedro just for his voice.

The armorer didn't say that all the Mandos died. She said that she had hoped that some had escaped off-world. Also, they didn't die in the episode 3 battle. They were killed later by storm troopers that were sent to the planet as a result of the Mandos revealing themselves. I think we'll see more of them later. I trust her at this point.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, pezgirl7 said:

The armorer didn't say that all the Mandos died. She said that she had hoped that some had escaped off-world. Also, they didn't die in the episode 3 battle. They were killed later by storm troopers that were sent to the planet as a result of the Mandos revealing themselves. I think we'll see more of them later. I trust her at this point.

Okay...my bad. I must have missed something. I'll have to go back and watch it again. Oh darn!

As for The Armorer:

giphy.gif

• LOL 3
(edited)
22 hours ago, vadare said:

First things first, this show is my new obsession. The only thing that will keep me from going nuts before October will be 1. I'm crocheting Baby Yodas and 2. What We Do In the Shadows 2nd Season starts 4/15. (Apparently I have a thing for Taika Watiti.)

As for the show, some random musings, in no particular order:

2. I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion, but I don't trust The Armorer/Blacksmith. Mando trusts no one, but trusts her implicitly. That doesn't sit well with me. For example, she told everyone that the other Mandos were dead. Well, did they really die in that battle in Ep. 3 or did she kill them all later? If they had all died in that battle, how come Apollo Greef didn't seem to know anything about it? You'd've thought word would have gotten to him by then.

3. I am convinced that we will see Fennic again. Again, she's too big/good an actress to waste on one episode. (But then, look what they did to Mark Boone, Jr. SOA treated him better.)

4. Step aside Miss Omera, I'm shipping Mando and Cara hard. (I believe the official name of the ship is Caralorian.) I need this to happen; it will help soothe my post-TROS wounded feelings.

5. Very few people can exude menace like Giancarlo Esposito...and I didn't even watch Breaking Bad. I would like to know how he came to possess the Darksabre. Is he a wayward Mando or did he steal it in the Great Purge? Either way, his end needs to be slow, epic, and at Mando's hands.

That's all for now--may edit to add more later.

Oh, and Baby Yoda melts my cold, middle-aged heart every time I see him.

ETA: This, which I'm putting in Spoilers cover in case someone hasn't seen TROS yet:

Reveal spoiler

If they have now determined that the Palpatine in TROS was a clone, perhaps Baby Yoda is actually that...Baby Yoda...in other words, a Yoda Clone.

I love all of your random musings, Vadare!  You have a lot of good thoughts and observations!

I did watch Breaking Bad, and I watch Better Call Saul (which Giancarlo Esposito is also on), and there is a sense of menace and danger whenever he is onscreen.  You never know what his character is going to do.  One of my earliest memories of Breaking Bad (when I first started to watch it) was a scene in which Gus Fring/Giancarlo was doing a terrible thing. And that image stuck in my mind so much that, whenever he was onscreen after that, I was prepared to hide my eyes because I thought he was going to do something awful to someone in every scene.  I instantly associated him with violence and blood.  While his character on The Mandalorian probably won't be quite as violent and messy in the way he disposes of people, I still can't help but see Gus Fring when Moff Gideon is onscreen!

I agree that we will see Fennec Shand again in some capacity -- either we'll learn that she is still alive, or we might see a flashback scene of her with a new character we meet, and we'll find out who she was supposed to meet up with before Toro Calican shot her.

As for Pedro Pascal showing his face.....  I actually wonder if we might get to a point on The Mandalorian -- maybe not in Season 2, but in another season -- where Mando's helmet is just off at all times except for when he is engaged in battle or on a specific dangerous job of some sort.  Maybe he will find himself in a situation where someone (Moff Gideon, perhaps) says "Let me see your face or I will kill your son!"  And, once Mando takes off the helmet in front of another person, as we know, he can never put it back on.  But the Armorer could suddenly come up with some sort of loophole to excuse him for removing his helmet at some point, letting him know he will always be a Mandalorian.  lol

I think it was significant to show us early on that Mando/Din does not remove his helmet for anyone, to sort of add to his mystique and make him seem more detached and cold.  It helped to establish what kind of person he was and what his life was like.   And we also understood just how big of a deal it was when the helmet finally came off so IG-11 could save him -- because we all saw that Mando was willing to die instead of letting Cara remove his helmet.  It was very important to him to stay true to his creed.  Now that he has taken it off and the audience has seen him, I think it would be a let-down if he didn't take off the helmet at least once during Season 2, if not more than that.

But one thing is certain.  There are some people who seem to want Mando/Din to keep the helmet on, and some people who want him to take the helmet off more often going forward.  In watching countless YouTubers' reaction videos to this series, I've seen so many different responses to the helmet coming off.  Some people already knew what Pedro Pascal looked like from his previous projects, and so they seemed to be pleased to see his face for that quick scene.  However, I saw several videos in which the people were very underwhelmed and almost unhappy when the helmet came off.  They either didn't like his face, or they felt that removing the helmet ruined the mystery of the character.  Some of them had built up different ideas in their minds of what Mando looked like, but Pedro did not match what their ideas were and it left them disappointed.  There are very mixed opinions about the helmet coming off.

Season 2 was already in production by the time the "Mando face reveal" episode of Season 1 aired in December, and the plans for Season 2 were already set.  So any negative feedback about the face reveal would probably not make a difference at that point.  Mando showing his face -- or not -- in Season 2 was already mapped out.  Beyond Season 2... who knows?

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 1
(edited)

I don't know what the clapboards looked like for production of Season 1, but this Season 2 clapboard has fish on it??  Why are there fish?  Is Mando heading to an ocean planet?  Is he finally going to the "ocean dunes of Carnac/Karnac," which he was supposed to do as a job in Season 1 but never did?  Is he going back to the krill farms of Sorgan?  Maybe Pedro Pascal will get to put some of his swimming skills to use in some sort of scene set in the water.  Or maybe they just decided to get fancy and jazz up the clapboard for no reason? 🤣

Anyway, Season 2 has wrapped, according to cinematographer Baz Idoine (whose name you've probably seen many times in the credits after the Season 1 episodes) -- at first I wasn't sure if it might have been just Gina Carano's scenes that wrapped on Friday -- which means that, barring any unforeseen delays in the post-production process and premiere, we are one step closer to seeing it!  Seven months away!

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 11:18 PM, TVFan17 said:

I love all of your random musings, Vadare!  You have a lot of good thoughts and observations!

Why thank you! I appreciate that!

I don't know about y'all, but fandom for this show has officially reached 3 generations of my family. My mother, who is walking IMDB on all TV/Movie Westerns, is savoring every episode. She was watching the first two episodes while she was babysitting my 5-year-old niece. My niece told her, "Grandma, I've already watched all of these with my daddy. Baby Yoda is so cute!" (Then my mother let the cat out of the bag and told her I'd started crocheting Baby Yodas...thanks Mom, that's supposed to be her birthday present.)

And remember, we may see Din Djarin's face more often even if the other characters don't, which would be great because Pedro Pascal is a snacky snack.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, vadare said:

Why thank you! I appreciate that!

I don't know about y'all, but fandom for this show has officially reached 3 generations of my family. My mother, who is walking IMDB on all TV/Movie Westerns, is savoring every episode. She was watching the first two episodes while she was babysitting my 5-year-old niece. My niece told her, "Grandma, I've already watched all of these with my daddy. Baby Yoda is so cute!" (Then my mother let the cat out of the bag and told her I'd started crocheting Baby Yodas...thanks Mom, that's supposed to be her birthday present.)

And remember, we may see Din Djarin's face more often even if the other characters don't, which would be great because Pedro Pascal is a snacky snack.

I suspect that you are on to something!  We, the viewers, could see more of Din's face even when the people/creatures he deals with do not see it.  It hasn't really been established on the show if the Mandalorians can remove their helmets in front of their own clans, but I assumed they could not because Din/Mando said he can't remove the helmet in front of another living thing.  He and Baby Yoda are a clan of 2, and he is now the baby's father for a while, but will the baby (a living thing) be able to see his daddy's face?  Or has he already seen him and we just don't know it yet?  There must be a loophole somewhere in the Mandalorian rules!  lol

Oh no!  Your mom spoiled your crocheted Baby Yoda surprise.  Yikes.  Well, was your niece at least excited or happy to hear that, even though she wasn't supposed to know yet?  That's such a thoughtful gift.

• Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 2:22 PM, TVFan17 said:

I suspect that you are on to something!  We, the viewers, could see more of Din's face even when the people/creatures he deals with do not see it.  It hasn't really been established on the show if the Mandalorians can remove their helmets in front of their own clans, but I assumed they could not because Din/Mando said he can't remove the helmet in front of another living thing.  He and Baby Yoda are a clan of 2, and he is now the baby's father for a while, but will the baby (a living thing) be able to see his daddy's face?  Or has he already seen him and we just don't know it yet?  There must be a loophole somewhere in the Mandalorian rules!  lol

Oh no!  Your mom spoiled your crocheted Baby Yoda surprise.  Yikes.  Well, was your niece at least excited or happy to hear that, even though she wasn't supposed to know yet?  That's such a thoughtful gift.

Yes, my mom said my niece is thrilled and can't wait! But I have both sisters and nibblings (the collective term for nieces and nephews) that are going to want one, so I'll be crocheting all summer. Not that I mind. (BTW, TPTB at Disney, you didn't see this message at all and if you did, I'm giving them away, not selling them. I wouldn't want to rain down the Wrath of the Mouse House upon me.)

And yes, I'm wondering if, now that they are a Clan of Two, if this means Din can now remove his helmet in front of The Child. You'd think so, but.... <shrug>

• Love 2

Now that Asohka is confirmed for season 2 and is supposed to get her own spinoff, it would make sense for her to take Baby Yoda. She actually met old Yoda and has a better chance of finding Luke & Leia.

• Love 1
On 4/12/2020 at 2:05 PM, paigow said:

Now that Asohka is confirmed for season 2 and is supposed to get her own spinoff, it would make sense for her to take Baby Yoda. She actually met old Yoda and has a better chance of finding Luke & Leia.

If that happens and she takes Baby Yoda off into her own spinoff series, I hope it doesn't happen until The Mandalorian actually comes to an end, whenever that is.  Ahsoka could certainly shed some light on the Force and Yoda and all of that, but I don't want to imagine a Mandalorian series going on for a few more years without the father-son combo of Mando/Din and Baby Yoda/the Child at the center of it. 

While I would probably watch any show that Baby Yoda was part of because I love him, I think the heartbeat of Season 1 of The Mandalorian was the growing relationship between Mando and the baby.  I assume that Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni and Disney realize that many people who love Baby Yoda actually love him with Mando.

Since Mando literally just got appointed as the Child's father in the season finale, and they just became a "Clan of Two," I hope we're going to see that dynamic fleshed out a bit more.  There might have to be some random time jumps here and there, but I really hope that Mando gets to be his daddy for a while and doesn't just hand the Child off to Ahsoka at the drop of a hat. 

If they want to give Ahsoka a separate live action series at some point, that's fine.  And Disney certainly will not let Baby Yoda go -- they know they hit the jackpot with him, so they will keep him around for as long as possible.  I just hope they keep him with Mando for a while, before they have him going off to train, or reuniting with his own kind, etc.

In an early behind-the-scenes/preview package for The Mandalorian, Deborah Chow (which was released after the show debuted, or in conjunction with its debut) -- who, as we know, directed 2 of the great episodes in the first season -- said that this show, in its most basic storyline, is about a man who has been following a way of life, and that life is "upended" by the introduction of the baby, because the baby "changes his life."  Suddenly Mando is "reevaluating his priorities and what means something to him, both in his life and in the world."  She said it's about a "man discovering something about himself that he had never known until he met the Child." 

And that is a lovely sentiment (what Deborah Chow said).  It's also the main takeaway that I had when watching Season 1 multiple times too -- the series is about how this sweet little child changes this cold, jaded bounty hunter's life.  So their relationship is crucial to the show.   If Favreau and Filoni made a point of naming Mando as the Child's father and designating them as a Clan of Two, only to separate them in Season 2 so the Child can leave with Ahsoka, I am going to be very annoyed.  If The Mandalorian is supposed to end after Season 2, then that's an entirely different story, but the unconfirmed rumor is that Disney wants a total of 5 seasons of the show.  If they want 5 seasons, they'd better not split up Mando and the Child yet!

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 5
27 minutes ago, TVFan17 said:

hope that Mando gets to be his daddy for a while and doesn't just hand the Child off to Ahsoka at the drop of a hat.

Who is going to eventually kill Moff Gideon? Ahsoka...no way she would let Mando keep "it" after that...

• Love 1
(edited)
On 4/12/2020 at 10:23 PM, paigow said:

Who is going to eventually kill Moff Gideon? Ahsoka...no way she would let Mando keep "it" after that...

There are certainly more than a couple of people who agree with you that Ahsoka might take the Child. 

Of course, even before we knew Ahsoka would (allegedly) be part of Season 2, I saw various online comments from people who thought that Baby Yoda was a temporary storyline distracting from Mandalorian lore and culture, and they seemed relieved that Baby Yoda's story arc would presumably come to an end in Season 2.

But then the 'Baby Yoda is a temporary character' chatter kind of died down for a while.

And now that people know about Ahsoka, the 'Baby Yoda is a temporary character' chatter has resumed.  Just in the last week I saw two different people on YouTube, on two different channels, indicate that they each think that Baby Yoda is not going to be around "for the whole series."  One of them said that as much as he likes Baby Yoda, he thinks the Child's story arc will come to an end in Season 2.

There are plenty of people who don't even seem to be entertaining the idea that perhaps Mando and his newfound green son form an unlikely duo that sticks together for the remainder of the series, especially not if Ahsoka is around.

I keep thinking that there is no way Disney would let Baby Yoda get away after Season 2 if they plan to keep the series going for another few seasons.  That Child is way too integral to the show now, and too integral to Disney merchandise!  lol  But... that doesn't necessarily mean that Baby Yoda has to stay with Mando, or even stay on The Mandalorian itself, if a spin-off show is created where the Child could logically fit in somehow.

Personally, I still think that the magic -- the core of The Mandalorian -- is the father-son relationship between Mando and the Child.  Those two together are very essential to my enjoyment of the show.  However... there are people who think that there is nowhere the show can go if Baby Yoda is kept a young, adorable child, and that the only way to keep the show from getting stale would be to send him off with someone else to train, or to have him age significantly, or start talking, etc.  They think that if Baby Yoda's story arc doesn't come to an end in Season 2, then his whole "cute" bit will get old.

So now I don't know what I think will happen.  I thought it was so obvious that the point of the show was how this little toddler changes Mando's life, as they travel around the galaxy for different adventures.  I figured they'd stay together until the final season, at which point Mando might have to give him up.  And yet, it seems that others think differently.  I can't say that they're wrong because it's just a different perspective/view than mine -- and they could end up being right.  Maybe I am looking at this show all wrong, and everything I thought I knew was a lie!!  lol

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 2

My guess is that the season ending cliffhanger is choosing his own path or following Bo Katan back to Mandalore with the Dark Saber [and the head of Moff Gideon]

• Love 1
(edited)
17 hours ago, paigow said:

My guess is that the season ending cliffhanger is choosing his own path or following Bo Katan back to Mandalore with the Dark Saber [and the head of Moff Gideon]

I've seen some speculation (by people who are much more familiar with the animated series than I am) that one way for Mando/Din to possibly start removing his helmet a bit more often (if that's the direction the series takes) is by Bo-Katan "teaching him a new way" and showing him that other Mandalorians are walking around helmet-less.  lol

Again, because I am not that familiar with all that goes on in The Clone Wars and Rebels, I have only heard the tales of other Mandalorians showing their faces and I'm not sure of the circumstances surrounding those situations.  So I don't know how plausible it would or wouldn't be for Din Djarin on The Mandalorian.

I've seen other speculation that Bo-Katan might only be shown in a quick flashback in Season 2, with a larger role in Season 3 -- perhaps Moff Gideon will explain how he got the Darksaber and she will be shown in that context, and then she will pop up in Season 3 for more screen time.

Edited by TVFan17

Clone Wars era Mandalorians in positions of power did not even wear armour. Royal guards wore different helmets that exposed part of their face. The regular warriors were not afraid to take off their helmets when with each other or making a point to allies or enemies. Maybe this was only on Mandalore itself.

• Useful 1
(edited)

Well, one thing is clear... certain aspects of whatever Favreau, Filoni and other writers on the show have planned for an episode or a season can change.  That doesn't necessarily mean that they will change, but they can.

In watching the "Cast" episode (the one that premiered on May 15th) of the Disney Gallery series, and hearing about how the plans for the Greef Karga character changed -- both his physical appearance and also how long he was supposed to be on the show -- I wouldn't be surprised if certain little details of future seasons or episodes are modified based on viewers' reactions to specific elements of the previous season(s).

Season 2 of The Mandalorian started production a few weeks before Season 1 premiered in November.  I have no idea which Season 2 episode they were working on when Season 1 premiered, as they are often filmed out of order, but I think the cast and crew were on their holiday break when the Season 1 finale aired at the end of December.  So they all had time to absorb and process all of the feedback, reactions and rave reviews to the entire first season before they returned to continue shooting Season 2 in January.  That means that they could have possibly made some script changes based on the feedback for Season 1-- IF any changes were necessary -- before resuming production on Season 2. 

In other words, if Favreau, Filoni, etc., got feedback that viewers thought there was too much Baby Yoda or not enough Baby Yoda in Season 1, they would have time to deal with that in the remaining episodes to be shot for Season 2 (from early January to early March).  if they got feedback that people loved the Mando face reveal or hated the Mando face reveal, we could see more or less of Mando's face in Season 2 based on that input.  I don't think things are 100% fluid and ever-changing because there is a lot of preparation that goes into putting the scenes together, and they are probably working with a budget and a filming timeline, but I think that some details here and there can be altered as they go along.

To be honest, I would not be shocked if the Mandalorian team occasionally films a scene and banks it until they figure out where to put it in the season they are working on, or in the following season, etc. (much like what Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould have done with some of their actors' guest appearances in "Better Call Saul").  Even in Season 1 of The Mandalorian, there were a couple of scenes here and there -- and even whole episodes -- that made me question if that was when/where they were originally supposed to air, or if their placement was changed along the way.  I recall thinking more than once, upon repeated viewings of Season 1.... "Was that scene originally supposed to be in that spot in that episode?" and "Was that episode supposed to air at that point in the season, or was it moved?"  There were just minor little things that didn't seem to quite connect or flow together as well as the rest of the season did, and I wasn't sure if it was due to editing, or due to things suddenly changing mid-production (even though the cast and crew did not have the benefit of feedback on a previous season when they shot Season 1).

So it will be interesting to see how Season 2 plays out, and if there are any scenes that seem slightly out of place, or details we can pick up on that seem to have been directly influenced by viewer reaction to Season 1.

Edited by TVFan17

In the new trailer, we see the Razor Crest looking banged up. We also see X-Wings with their S-foils in attack position. I'm not so sure the X-Wings attacked the Crest. Because both Mando and New Republic share an enemy. The Empire. Those X-Wings could be an allied escort. They spot the Imperials and go to attack formation. Just my guess. I'll probably be wrong, but that's fine. 🙂

• Love 2
3 hours ago, magdalene said:

What are your finale speculations, wishes, fears?

I'm cautiously optimistic and speculate that Din and Co. will rescue Grogu and be reunited by the end of the episode, but I fear that I am wrong. I wish that I am right. 😉

• Love 1

I'm speculating that just when it looks like Moff Gideon is winning, an unknown hooded Jedi comes in and saves the day  (and Grogu). Mando turns and asks who he is. The Jedi pushes back his hood and says "My name is Luke Skywalker." And then we go to black until Season 3.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I'm speculating that just when it looks like Moff Gideon is winning, an unknown hooded Jedi comes in and saves the day  (and Grogu). Mando turns and asks who he is. The Jedi pushes back his hood and says "My name is Luke Skywalker."......

Skywalker Force-Pushes Mando away, grabs Grogu and flies away in an old X-Wing

And then we go to black until Season 3.

3 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I'm speculating that just when it looks like Moff Gideon is winning, an unknown hooded Jedi comes in and saves the day  (and Grogu). Mando turns and asks who he is. The Jedi pushes back his hood and says "My name is Luke Skywalker." And then we go to black until Season 3.

Is Luke Skywalker played by Sebastian Stan, like I saw a bunch of Twitter fans wanted?  He's on the Disney payroll, and Falcon and the Winter Soldier may have been filming in a neighboring studio, who knows... 😉 

My prediction is that Mando and team track down Moff's ship, they somehow get inside, and a bunch of fights ensue. Dr. Pershing ends up helping them, and tells them why Moff wants the baby, even though Mando hasn't seemed to care up until this point. Mando and Moff fight, and Mando ends up killing him with the spear. He might get a little help from Bo Katan who shows up, since she's also been looking for Moff. She ends up with the dark saber at the end. I'm thinking some of the New Republic also show up at some point to help. At the end, a Jedi appears, sensing Grogu's distress. I don't think it'll be Luke. I also want Mando to refer to the child as "his son" at some point, and Mando will give him the silver ball when he finds him. 😊 If they are separated at the end of the episode, I will not be a happy camper.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 4

Bo Katan may be focused on the dark saber, but I've been thinking that the value of beskar armor has been mentioned a few times this season for a reason. My guess is that Gideon has the stolen beskar stockpiled somewhere and Mando will learn the location of the stockpile at the end of the season.

Also, what happens if he gets the dark saber and access to a mountain of beskar? Will season three be about a potential Mandalorian civil war? (This is assuming that he doesn't get Bo Katan's help to take down Gideon. I'm thinking that S3 will be about the reuniting of the Mandalorians if that's the case).

I think it’s going to be an Empire Strikes Back kind of an ending. They know they have another season, I think we’ll be ending on a massive cliffhanger.

I think we’re going to see a convergence of stories. We saw a bunch of threads that are going to come together. We’re going to see Mando’s band of Star Wars, Cara, Greef, Cobb, Fett and Fennec come together and attack Gideon‘s ship. Maybe we’ll see a diversion with someone else in Mando’s gear but definitely a multi-tiered attack.

I think we’ll see Bo Katan and a bunch of Mandos, but more of a happy accident she’s there. She found Gideon as well and is there for the Darksabre. She teams up with Din with the promise of her getting the Darksabre. Everyone splits up.

The Dark Troopers are going to be a force to reckon with, and they best a lot of the group. Prisoners, maybe even a death. Ahsoka shows up at the 11th hour. Maybe so do some rangers (maybe even a Ghost sighting). Din and Bo Katan are somehow bested by Gideon and trade Din and Ahsoka for Grogu. Part of the Team escapes thanks to the cover by the Rangers and other Mandos, and they have Grogu.

We end the season with Din and Ahsoka being thrown into different cells. Din ends up in a cell with another person, sans his Beskar. The other person is another captured Jedi. Maybe an end scene with Thrawn boarding the ship.

I have a pet theory that Din is Force sensitive, a child of Jedha, possibly even a Guardian of the Whills, before the Empire took over. I think that maybe why another reason Ahsoka doesn’t take on Grogu is because Grogu has already found someone to train him-Din. Kinda a Kanan/Ezra relationship. I like the idea that Jon and Filoni are incorporating ideas of Star Wars that never made it into the movies. Guardians of the Whills is one of them. So to up the ante, Din shows he’s just as valuable as Ahsoka or Grogu for Gideon to willingly give up. Adults can provide more blood then a toddler.

Either way, I think we’re in for a big fight and an even bigger cliffhanger. They haven’t even released how long the episode is or who the director is-normally we know by now. I think its going to be big name director-rumors are flying that the director is 

Spoiler

George Lucas himself.

Edited by SnoGirl

I personally don't see how that rumored director is true, but I guess we never know!!  I just think that's a big secret that would have leaked by now?  I don't know - interesting theory!  Maybe Favreau himself directed it?

ETA:  Pedro is joking with people on his Instagram.  He asked if everyone is nervous for the finale?  He's nervous.  LOL.

Edited by FnkyChkn34

Apparently the director is Peyton Reed again. Bummer, I was kinda hoping for a surprise director, not a repeat. No word on how long it is either yet. 

Man, I can’t wait for tomorrow. I’m trying so hard not to get hyped up.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, SnoGirl said:

Apparently the director is Peyton Reed again. Bummer, I was kinda hoping for a surprise director, not a repeat. No word on how long it is either yet. 

Man, I can’t wait for tomorrow. I’m trying so hard not to get hyped up.

I'm seriously considering setting my alarm for 3am...  Have I lost it??

• LOL 2
1 minute ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I'm seriously considering setting my alarm for 3am...  Have I lost it??

Lol, no. I follow a bunch of Star Wars fans on Twitter and most of them stay up to watch it. I normally get up at 6 on Fridays to watch before work 😂

• Love 1
1 minute ago, SnoGirl said:

Lol, no. I follow a bunch of Star Wars fans on Twitter and most of them stay up to watch it. I normally get up at 6 on Fridays to watch before work 😂

Me too!  I watch while I get ready for work.  If I lived on the west coast, that would be a no-brainer; I could stay up until midnight easily. 🤣  But tonight I might just do it.

• Love 1