Type keyword(s) to search

The Slatons in the Media: Anything for a Dollar

• Start Topic

On 10/26/2021 at 12:34 PM, chenoa333 said:

I thought it was mentioned (when the show first debuted) that Tammy's big, odd shaped forehead was due to fat storage. Now she's at least 200 pounds bigger and her fat has to find somewhere else to go.

She's stubborn and needs psychological help. This could be the first death of a TLC show participant. 

I take it you’ve never seen 600 pound life 

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

No. I've never watched My 600 Pound Life. Seems like psychological help is very important too. I do feel empathy for these people. 

Yes they do need psychological help but getting them to accept it is another matter.  I think there has been 4 or 5 people who were featured on My 600 pound life who have died.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Yes they do need psychological help but getting them to accept it is another matter.  I think there has been 4 or 5 people who were featured on My 600 pound life who have died.

I think with Gina, they're up to 8 who died.   Robert was being filmed when he died, and Kelly also, so two that were in the filming process when they died.  

Sadly, I'm afraid that since Tammy just keeps getting bigger and bigger, than it's not long until there will be a sad update.   Amy needs to keep losing weight, so she's around for her husband, and son. 

• Love 9
On 10/27/2021 at 11:50 AM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I think you've landed on the better solution.  It has been shown again and again that people who slowly reduce are more successful.  However, we tend to look for the quick fix or assume no one can change unless they see immediate, dramatic results. If she ate 10% fewer calories, she would at minimum stop gaining and might lose some weight.  If she would slowly sub in some more nutritious food choices, without giving up everything she likes, she would then lose more weight and slowly shift her palate.  Over time she would have a much better chance for success.  However, that does not fit into what our society or the diet industry pushes.  We opt for punishing people for their size and highly limited diets to encourage rapid weight loss even though this has repeatedly been shown to fail and to cause metabolic issues that make it harder in the long run to keep weight off. 

While I am often skeptical about how readily the term food addiction is thrown around (liking cake or eating larger posrtions is not always a food addiction), Tammy is an addict with deep seated psychological issues.  It is a long, winding road to recovery for someone like her.  I may not like her; she is very nasty to everyone around her (except whichever man she is trying to snare with her feminine wiles).  However, I can also see that is an addict in action.  

I am not surprised that she is larger, still acting out, and escalating her behaviors.  Her family is trying to move on, and she does not want to change. 

As to her having fat on her upper chest and jiggling arms, her arms were always very large and jiggly.  The amount of weight on her upper chest has increased.  But also how much she's jiggling and how much weight is pushed up there also depends on the bra she's wearing. 

Whatever label is put on Tammy's problem with losing weight, the thing that shouts out is that what they've tried *over and over and over*, namely a controlled-calorie diet, is not something she can do.  It's not even a question of "sticking to a diet"--she can't even start out on it--I don't think she comprehends how it's supposed to work.

She is truly, truly at death's door, and she truly, truly needs something drastic *right now* to get a couple of hundred pounds off her--and it's not going to be the same thing they've tried with her for lo these many years.  Why is the medical profession, specifically the bariatric medical profession, so damned stupid (as in trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result)?

With all the experts we have, MDs and nutritionists and psychotherapists--why are they all being trained to use the same, basically useless (since even people who can lose weight on a diet often can't keep it off), techniques, especially with the morbidly obese, like Tammy?  This is a real failure, imo, of the medical profession, and does not represent a failure of the patients they have been unable to help.

• Useful 3
  • Love 9
On 10/27/2021 at 6:24 PM, chenoa333 said:

No. I've never watched My 600 Pound Life. Seems like psychological help is very important too. I do feel empathy for these people. 

At least two people died during filming, which is why I mentioned it

• Love 1
On 10/27/2021 at 11:50 AM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I think you've landed on the better solution.  It has been shown again and again that people who slowly reduce are more successful.  However, we tend to look for the quick fix or assume no one can change unless they see immediate, dramatic results. If she ate 10% fewer calories, she would at minimum stop gaining and might lose some weight.  If she would slowly sub in some more nutritious food choices, without giving up everything she likes, she would then lose more weight and slowly shift her palate.  Over time she would have a much better chance for success.  However, that does not fit into what our society or the diet industry pushes.  We opt for punishing people for their size and highly limited diets to encourage rapid weight loss even though this has repeatedly been shown to fail and to cause metabolic issues that make it harder in the long run to keep weight off. 

While I am often skeptical about how readily the term food addiction is thrown around (liking cake or eating larger posrtions is not always a food addiction), Tammy is an addict with deep seated psychological issues.  It is a long, winding road to recovery for someone like her.  I may not like her; she is very nasty to everyone around her (except whichever man she is trying to snare with her feminine wiles).  However, I can also see that is an addict in action.  

I am not surprised that she is larger, still acting out, and escalating her behaviors.  Her family is trying to move on, and she does not want to change. 

As to her having fat on her upper chest and jiggling arms, her arms were always very large and jiggly.  The amount of weight on her upper chest has increased.  But also how much she's jiggling and how much weight is pushed up there also depends on the bra she's wearing. 

It's kind of like "cutting down" on heroin intake by 10% etc.

Addictions don't respond to "cutting down", unfortunately

Edited by suev3333
spelling fix
  • Love 8
On 10/7/2021 at 10:01 AM, Kid said:

I just saw a trailer for season three. Tammy is MUCH bigger.  I would venture that she’s close to 800 pounds or more at this point.

Here is the link:https://youtube.com/watch?v=uxQOvTrjTiU&feature

1000-lb Sisters season three premieres Monday, Nov. 15 at 10 p.m. on TLC. 

Intellectually, I understood Tammy is/will/would kill herself with food, but its really like watching a trainwreck is slow motion.  I guess Jerry found another woman to take care of him and now we have Phillip.  

The baby is happy and chunky and I love to see that. 

And I'm really happy to see them take a vacation, I suspect neither Amy nor Tammy have done much travelling. 

Not a fan of new sister and she looks like manufactured drama to me.  "I don't play that!" whoa, cool your jets sis, you just got here!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 10/16/2021 at 8:44 AM, Mothra said:

I wish someone there with Tammy would acknowledge that trying over and over to make her stick to a diet is fruitless and just give up on that.  They've tried so many times to get her to follow a diet, and it's just not going to work, so please can we try something else?

I'd like to see a dietitian sit down with her and ask her what she would like to eat, then help her understand that she can continue to eat what she wants, just lesser quantities.  This will take a long, long time--years, in fact--but it will take out the message of failure and at some point she will find a feeling of success and be motivated to eat in such a way that she will lose weight.  What she needs is a feeling of success, and since she's not going to do anything that's not on her own terms, she's never going to succeed if they keep going the way they are now.

For example:  She wants eggs, bacon, sausage gravy over biscuits and donuts for breakfast--or whatever it is.  You prepare her breakfast *just as she wants it, in just the quantities she wants* and then you say: Tammy, what can we reduce?  Instead of six slices of bacon, will 5 1/2 be enough?  Or whatever.  You can come to an agreement with her to reduce her intake *on her terms* and then go with that.  Let her see how she feels with that reduction.  Then after a week or so, ask her if she's ok with 5 slices.  And so on.  *She* is in control.  At some point, she will lose a pound--*success*--and at some point she will get it and reduce her intake more quickly.  We can only hope she doesn't die first.

I dont think this is a bad idea, but for Tammy, I think that she thinks she is too far gone.  Like why would she give up copious amounts of food, which makes her happy just to lose a few pounds?  Giving up the food is going to be uncomfortable and annoying and she has SO MUCH WEIGHT to lose.  

I just think for her the hill is too tall to climb.  

She wants to be happy and she equates happiness with a man.  Its a long road for her to be traditionally attractive in any way.  Its just so much easier for her to get with some guy who is a feeder than it is to put in even the work of portion reduction.  

I wonder where that trainer went off too, because I think Tammy liked the immediate gratification of getting compliments from a relatively handsome man.  

• Love 6
2 hours ago, RealReality said:

I just think for her the hill is too tall to climb.  

Yes, I agree. I can't even imagine being 800 pounds and trying to lose ANY weight.  And sadly, I think Tammy doesn't care if she dies from obesity.

She seems 100% defeated so why not just do what you love the most: eating.  

I do wonder who she has taking care of her personal hygiene now that Amy isn't living next door. Tammy is too obese to do it herself. 

I hope for the best for Tammy but I have a feeling she's not going to be alive much longer. 

• Love 6
On 11/1/2021 at 10:50 PM, chenoa333 said:

Yes, I agree. I can't even imagine being 800 pounds and trying to lose ANY weight.  And sadly, I think Tammy doesn't care if she dies from obesity.

She seems 100% defeated so why not just do what you love the most: eating.  

I do wonder who she has taking care of her personal hygiene now that Amy isn't living next door. Tammy is too obese to do it herself. 

I hope for the best for Tammy but I have a feeling she's not going to be alive much longer. 

I'm currently trying to lose 30 pounds and its really hard.  And I don't have the toxic relationship Tammi does with food.  She would have to be super motivated and focused to lose that weight, and she just....isn't.  

I mean, even if she loses half her weight, she would be what, nearly 400 pounds?  She will still be in a society that generally sees her as conventionally unattractive. The only thing that might have motivated Tammy was a relationship, but unless she wants a man like Amy's husband (forgot his name) she is going to end up with the same users and fetish feeders who have a vested interest in keeping her obese so they can feed on her low self esteem.  

I was watching this really interesting show called Dietland that was only on one season on AMC, but its a very interesting take on struggling with obesity, particularly as a woman.  

I agree with you, it seems like that oxygen tank may be a permanent thing and I can't see how anything gets better from there.  

• Love 4
On 11/1/2021 at 10:46 PM, RealReality said:

Not a fan of new sister and she looks like manufactured drama to me.  "I don't play that!" whoa, cool your jets sis, you just got here!

Might be interesting though.  I liked the brother last season.
I can't see Tammy losing weight unless she put in a very controlled environment, with no chance of cheating.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, auntjess said:

I can't see Tammy losing weight unless she put in a very controlled environment, with no chance of cheating.

It would have to be for the rest of her life, because even if she lost all the weight, she would go back to her old eating habits as soon as she wasn't being controlled.

• Love 9
On 11/4/2021 at 7:20 PM, RealReality said:

mean, even if she loses half her weight, she would be what, nearly 400 pounds?  She will still be in a society that generally sees her as conventionally unattractive. 

And then there will be all of that loose, hanging skin she'll need removed. That's a whole other medical journey. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, readheaded said:

I had reruns on today and wonder if Amy's a reader. For as relatively uneducated and low-brow as she and Tammy can be, Amy has a really good vocabulary. 

Yes, I've noticed that too (after watching this show since day one). I don't think either of them are dumb. They taught themselves how to use a computer, start a YouTube channel, use Photoshop. 

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, chenoa333 said:

Yes, I've noticed that too (after watching this show since day one). I don't think either of them are dumb. They taught themselves how to use a computer, start a YouTube channel, use Photoshop. 

They seem naturally smarter than the Roloffs, Busbys, and Brown adults, just with fewer opportunities and education. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, Kid said:

For your viewing pleasure.  One burger a day.  *snort*

Judging how much bigger she got, that was one burger, a couple of large orders of fries, a couple of orders of onion rings, 2 large shakes, & a side of a fried chicken dinner with extra mashed potatoes. But just one burger.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, GaT said:

Judging how much bigger she got, that was one burger, a couple of large orders of fries, a couple of orders of onion rings, 2 large shakes, & a side of a fried chicken dinner with extra mashed potatoes. But just one burger.

And that is the point.  She really thinks she can get out and order just one burger a day.  She has already proven she can pack on 50 lbs in a blink of an eye.  Great she lost 60 lbs in 2 months in a CONTROLLED environment.  If she learned anything in those 2 months, she would stay as long as it takes to get her thinking straight.

• Love 4

Tammy "lost 60 pounds." Sadly she's still on oxygen. Is she still in a "weight loss clinic"?  There's a certain vibe I get from Tammy that she's just not taking this weight loss journey seriously. 

And packing on 50 pounds in less than a month, then losing 60 pounds is like gambling addicts always bragging how much money they've won but never mentioning how much money they've lost. Which is always thousands more than they've won. 

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 3

Just to answer my own question, according to People magazine, Tammy has left the weight loss clinic because she's "homesick."

If this is true, I've lost my last tiny bit of sympathy for her. She is obviously much happier and secure in her miserable, unhealthy life than I can comprehend. She probably went home and ordered 4 Big Macs with fries and 2 chocolate shakes. And that was just for appetizers.

I'm so glad Amy appears to be trying to stay healthy.

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 4

I feel like she could lose 60 pounds with diuretics and making sure she drank a lot of water during the day. A popular registered dietician that I follow advises dividing your body weight by 2 and drinking that number in ounces every day (I do that whether I’m following her plan or not). For Tammy that would be over 40 8oz glasses of water. She could definitely offload 60 pounds just by shedding her water retention. My point? That’s not real weight loss. Her habits haven’t or won’t change. Not if she’s relying on takeout and burgers.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Kid said:

For your viewing pleasure.  One burger a day.  *snort*

Am I wrong but 60lbs at her weight seems pretty damn low. She could have done 60 in a month, especially in a controlled environment.  This tells me that even under lock and key Tammy was still following ze 1,200 diet.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Just to answer my own question, according to People magazine, Tammy has left the weight loss clinic because she's "homesick."

If this is true, I've lost my last tiny bit of sympathy for her. She is obviously much happier and secure in her miserable, unhealthy life than I can comprehend. She probably went home and ordered 4 Big Macs with fries and 2 chocolate shakes. And that was just for appetizers.

I'm so glad Amy appears to be trying to stay healthy.

I lost sympathy for her a LONG time ago. There are people with terminal diseases that would do anything to get well and they can’t. She is given the opportunity to change, and she refuses. She doesn’t deserve sympathy at this point.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
2 minutes ago, Kid said:

She is given the opportunity to change, and she refuses. She doesn’t deserve sympathy at this point.

So true. And I don't even feel bad, at this point, to agree that I don't really care about her demise. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, RedDelicious said:

For Tammy that would be over 40 8oz glasses of water

Yes. But who would be there to hoist her out of her wheelchair onto the toilet to pee out all of that water?

She loves being the "superstar" she thinks she is. All because of her obesity. If you're going to choose to die young, at least do something commendable in your life while you're here. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Tammy says she misses her family. Would this be the same family she's always screaming at w/her foul mouth? Or is it the family she claims abused her mentally & physically? Me thinks she needs to get her stories straight.

Knowing Tammy's track record, I wouldn't be surprised if she wanted out bc she met another guy online & wanted to meet up w/him. Girl is far too desperate.

• Love 13
On 10/28/2021 at 1:18 PM, Mothra said:

She is truly, truly at death's door, and she truly, truly needs something drastic *right now* to get a couple of hundred pounds off her--and it's not going to be the same thing they've tried with her for lo these many years...This is a real failure, imo, of the medical profession, and does not represent a failure of the patients they have been unable to help.

She needs to be hospitalized -- if not incarcerated -- on a water fast ONLY.  As Dr. Now would say, she would be in no danger of starving.  If they can "impound" people for drug addiction and/or mental illness, why not life-threatening obesity?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

She needs to be hospitalized -- if not incarcerated -- on a water fast ONLY.  As Dr. Now would say, she would be in no danger of starving.  If they can "impound" people for drug addiction and/or mental illness, why not life-threatening obesity?

Because she ultimately is only hurting herself. Alcohol and drug addiction behaviors can kill others, driving under the influence, stealing money for drugs ect. I also am unaware of someone being held against their will ( because that is what it is) just for being addicted to drugs or alcohol. 

• Love 3
On 11/14/2021 at 4:03 PM, lulu69 said:

Tammy says she misses her family. Would this be the same family she's always screaming at w/her foul mouth?

Yes!! And did I understand Tammy correctly (during the scene where she was doing a YouTube video with her niece) when Amy walked out to talk to Big T about her medications. Did Big T say something like "leave me alone CAN'T YOU SEE I'M FILMING RIGHT NOW?"  Tammy really believes she is a celebrity. "I'm filming right now dahling. Please fuck off." 

The more I watch Big T the more I dislike her. What an ugly beast. One can only imagine how insufferable she would be if she actually lost weight and looked somewhat normal. She needs to go. She is not an attraction on the show. If she dies I can read about in the gossip news. I am SO over her. 

There are so many people in this world who would cherish having a sister like Amy, a brother like Chris, a brother in law like Michael. But no, not Big T. She appreciates NOTHING. Not one fucking thing.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Maisiesmom said:

Good! Maybe she will get her shit together and get on the right path! And be grateful to those who are trying to help her!

I highly doubt it.

And what type of "life support" is she on? Intravenous milkshakes?

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Maisiesmom said:

Good! Maybe she will get her shit together and get on the right path! And be grateful to those who are trying to help her!

You have to hit bottom.  Maybe this is it.  And, if it is, it is the best thing that could have happened to her.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Kid said:

You have to hit bottom.  Maybe this is it.  And, if it is, it is the best thing that could have happened to her.

I doubt it, the first thing she did was make a video. She probably told whatever medical professional that was in the room that they would have to wait until she was done filming. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

Is she on the hospital with a trach again? I saw it mentioned somewhere and looked up her TikTok.

Even with a trach, or whatever that is, she is posting videos about haters. She’s never going to realize how bad off she is. Maybe people are right and her family should let her live her (short) life as she sees fit. They should stop waiting on her hand and foot, though. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, DanaMB said:

Is she on the hospital with a trach again? I saw it mentioned somewhere and looked up her TikTok.

Even with a trach, or whatever that is, she is posting videos about haters. She’s never going to realize how bad off she is. Maybe people are right and her family should let her live her (short) life as she sees fit. They should stop waiting on her hand and foot, though. 

She is so delusional with thinking she's some social media super star. Even the Kardashians have "haters" so why would Tammy be any different? She is so messed up and TLC should just discontinue this show until and unless they (the entire group of Slatons who get a paycheck) all get help...psychologically and physically. 

• Love 8

I'm suspicious about Tammy always getting a new boyfriend.  They only stay long enough to shoot a few episodes, and then they're gone.     I'm also not believing that someone across the country is harassing her, at least anywhere but online.   I'm suspecting a lot of storylines, on this show are just that, stories for the show, and totally fake. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, lulu69 said:

Having trouble linking the below article on TV Shows Ace :

‘1000-Lb. Sisters’ Exclusive: Ex’s Baby Mama Spills Tea — Tammy Lied?!

December 30, 2021

https://tvshowsace.com/2021/12/30/1000lb-sisters-exclusive-exs-baby-mama-spills-tea-tammy-lied/

Basically say Ms. Tams has lied about a great many things. If true, BOOM!!

ETA: OK, now it appears link works

Interesting story. None of it surprises me. If any of it's true, I'll bet TLC isn't happy with Big T. 

• Love 3