Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E27: Live Finale, Part 2

• Start Topic

Air date December 17, 2019

In the live season finale, host Carson Daly reveals who America has chosen to be the winner; chart-topping artists perform and collaborate with the top four finalists; fan-favorite contestants return for unforgettable performances.

Sorry! Had no idea there was another episode!

Well, seasoned Voice viewers would have no trouble believing the only country artist among the final 4 ended up winning. I was hoping for Ricky, just because I think regardless of where he finished Jake is set up to at least have a chance at success in Nashville. With Ricky, obviously there isn't as big of a blues rock community in Nashville. Not saying it's not there, but he's going to need to be very strategic in terms of who's eye he catches on the production side to make the kind of records he wants and his capable of.

Katie, and Rose finishing 3rd and 4th seemed about right, Tonight was the first night I really felt like (if she wants to) Rose could have some serious success on the Gospel/Contemporary Christian Charts a la Mandisa from American Idol and Koryn from a few seasons ago on the Voice.

As for the performances, Ricky and Gary Clark Jr. sounded amazing together on a song that must be pure murder to sing. To spend that much time in your highest falsetto head voice and harmonize with another guy while your at it? Kudos to them.

Jake sounded great with LBT, although that particularl LBT song is not one of my favorites. Rose nearly falling to pieces getting to sing with Yolanda Adams (obviously a hero or idol of hers) was cool and emotional. Wondered a lot who they would pair Katie with, Glambert ended up making way more sense than most of my pre-show guesses. Lady A killed there performance, they are pros through and through. I suppose Luke Combs did too, although his voice is taking a while, and I mean a while to slowly grow on me. As for the others, I think the quarter of Hello Sunday, Myracle and Joanna might have been the most successful and the quarter of Kat, Kali, Marybeth and the one of blanking on was by far the worst. Did someone miss their cue early? It seemed like there was too much silence in one spot after they started.

• Love 3

Kat sounded so ridiculous with Marybeth, Kali and Gracee. I still cannot believe we kept Kat for so long and lost Gracee and Kali. Also, Neon Moon again this season? Did the show run out of songs?

Ricky and Gary Clark Jr had the best celebrity duet by far. I love how excited Rose was to sing with Yolanda Adams. The other duets did nothing for me. I though you could hear the lack of rehearsal with Hoot and Little Big Town. They were very rarely in sync. And Katie and Adam Lambert were fine but there was nothing special about it.

As for the winner, I did think Katie would finish in the top two over Ricky but I had Hoot pegged to win for a while. Country singers always do so well on this show. That's fine. I liked all four well enough that I'm not disappointed no matter what.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, BonnieD said:

I imagine the viewers' voting was split between Katie and Rose, explaining how those two guys managed to top them. Yuck! such a disappointment.

Or the viewers who actually vote preferred the two men to the two women.  People have different tastes.

• Love 1

I didn't watch the whole show but not surprised that Hoot won.  I guessed that he would win a long time ago.  He was the only country guy in the top 12.

I did see Ricky and Gary Clark Jr's duet and it was flawless.  Since I haven't watched the last three performance shows, I didn't even know that Ricky could sing like that even though I knew head a good voice.

• Love 1

I'm so glad Jake won. It actually went in the order I wanted but I'll admit I was wrong, I predicted Katie to win and Jake 2nd then Ricky 3rd but I guess between Blake's fans and the country fans the outcome was a given.

I enjoyed the show and thought all the songs the 4 sang with artist were really good.

I guess Fergie isn't with The Black Eyed Peas anymore? 

Well, onward to AGT Champions :-)

I forgot to add, I noticed the 4 finalist didn't get a car this season. I think the winner should get a car and $500,000 instead of a recording contract. The artist always say how getting a chair turn will change their life, it won't but $500,000 would plus if a record producer watches the show and likes them they could sign them. Anyways, I noticed no car, I remember one season the 4 finalist got a recording studio put in there house instead of a car which I thought was strange, what if they didn't have a place for a recording studio.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I forgot to add, I noticed the 4 finalist didn't get a car this season. I think the winner should get a car and $500,000 instead of a recording contract. The artist always say how getting a chair turn will change their life, it won't but $500,000 would plus if a record producer watches the show and likes them they could sign them. Anyways, I noticed no car, I remember one season the 4 finalist got a recording studio put in there house instead of a car which I thought was strange, what if they didn't have a place for a recording studio.

You're right.  I kept waiting for the car scene.  Even if the winner got $250,000 if would still be a nice chunk of change.  I know everybody makes all the right noises and says that getting a chair turn would change their life, but it seems like the judges aren't even pretending that people will go on to big success after this any more.  They've all said something along the lines of "No matter what happens on this show" meaning that they know The Voice hasn't really ever had a Kelly Clarkson.  Sure, some performers have gone on to have limited success, but there really haven't been any big breakout stars.  And, it seems like the show knows that it's getting less and less "buzz" and becoming less and less popular (look how few people actually post about it any more).  It also seems like the talent pool is getting less genuine talent and more gimmicks (I'm looking at you Kat and Hello Sunday.)  It's probably on its way to becoming NBC's equivalent of "Dancing With the Stars" where anyone who can carry a tune will start showing up.

• Love 3

One thing I've contemplated over the years is if Kelly Clarkson had not been on the very first season of American Idol, would she have the sort of career she has now.  If she had been a contestant five or ten or more years later, instead.... I don't think she would stand out at all.  She has a nice voice, but I don't personally think its very distinct or amazing.  She simply lucked out as being the first winner of a huge show.

• Love 2
On 12/18/2019 at 5:08 PM, foxfreakinmulder said:

I'm so glad Jake won. It actually went in the order I wanted but I'll admit I was wrong, I predicted Katie to win and Jake 2nd then Ricky 3rd but I guess between Blake's fans and the country fans the outcome was a given.

I enjoyed the show and thought all the songs the 4 sang with artist were really good.

I guess Fergie isn't with The Black Eyed Peas anymore? 

Well, onward to AGT Champions :-)

Fergie will never be "out" of Black Eyed Peas.....at least never permanently because groups don't officially break up anymore......they take hiatuses away from each other....sometimes for extended periods while they do a solo thing or a tv project or whatever.   Or just rest and be normal people for awhile.   But they always return.

• Useful 1
On 12/18/2019 at 3:26 PM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Didn't even watch this season but still wanted to check out the comments. This is it? Does anyone watch the show anymore? Does anyone care?

This is the first season I started fast forwarding through after the blinds. I don't feel like the show gives contestants time enough to develop and grow with the help of their coaches as they used to, and that used to make the show special to me (after the blinds, of course). Part of the fun was seeing reports posted here about how well songs/artists were doing on the iTunes charts, but that went away and in its place was the massive culling before I even got to know who the artists were. You know what else I miss? Early seasons, when they would have all four coaches perform together. That seemed to set the tone for interesting arrangements of familiar songs for the competition. 

I did like the fact that they brought back many?all? of the top twelve to perform. What did everyone think of JHud's performance of "Memories"? I'm not a Cats fan, but it sounded like she was straining.

As @realdancemom said, the minute Jake Hoot was the only country singer left in the top twelve, it was a foregone conclusion who the winner would be. He was perfectly fine, although Ricky would have been the more interesting winner. I didn't think Rose had a chance, having been an instant save, and I wasn't a fan of Katie's, although I hope she, Rose, and Ricky end up being the JHuds of this season.

7 hours ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

What did everyone think of JHud's performance of "Memories"? I'm not a Cats fan, but it sounded like she was straining.

I'm not a fan of JHud so I didn't care for it, and that's one movie I'll skip even when it hits Netflix. I thought it was strange she just left the stage when she was done singing while all the other artist stayed on stage after singing and said thank you, smiled and waved, she just leaves.

The more I think about it, and with the sad hot mess that is AGT? I think there is a LOOOOT of in-fighting, back-biting, etc. on this show. I'm beginning to seriously wonder if Adam "left" the show or acted the way he did on purpose so that he could be "asked" to leave the show.

This s**t don't make no sense anymore. Used to be my favorite, but now, this year, I didn't even make it through the blinds. I'm done.

AGT? Oh hell no. I'd rather watch the Bachelor (yeah, I said it).