Type keyword(s) to search

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice (CNN) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

This was great. I especially loved hearing from Dolly and Emmylou about their friendship and how the Trio albums were born. Although I hated seeing Emmylou cry about Linda losing her voice. 😢 

And to hear how Linda was so insecure about her talent--it just goes to show, you never know how someone else may feel about themselves, no matter how good they truly are. 

ETA: Oh, and her Mexican album! The highest selling non-English album of all time! Truly amazing.

Edited by UYI
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Shoot, I missed it. I hope it will be On Demand.

Yay, I got to see it On Demand tonight! It was amazing! I especially loved the last few minutes where she was with her cousin and nephew singing in Spanish about 'un huerfano' ( an orphan). I got teary because I had assumed she couldn't sing a note at all and also having lost my remaining parent this year, feel like an orphan.  I still have my vinyls of her albums. I squeed when they mentioned her standards album with Nelson Riddle, one of my favorites. As much as I adored her in my youth, I regret never seeing her perform live. There's no one quite like her; incomparable!♥️

• Love 3

While I would not classify myself as a huge fan (I didn't hate her music, just preferred other stuff, and much of her best stuff came out when I was too young to appreciate it [born in 1972]), I do love her song, "Long, Long Time" and like "You're No Good". My mother loved "Somewhere Out There" as well as the cover of "Blue Bayou", too.

Still, I appreciate Ms. Ronstadt's talent and think of how unfair it is that such a cruel disease took her voice. I may have to catch the repeat of this documentary.

This was really good. I must have missed how she is of Mexican descent though. They said her father was German and I forgot what her mother was but don't think they said she was Mexican. 

She was a fantastic voice and had a great life. It makes me so very nostalgic for my youth when I hear some of her songs. 

I said to my husband, how did she get that braless top past the censors on Johnny Carson, late 60's, early 70's? It was the time of course and from the look of the doc. she didn't own a bra! 

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, msrachelj said:

This was really good. I must have missed how she is of Mexican descent though. They said her father was German and I forgot what her mother was but don't think they said she was Mexican. 

She was a fantastic voice and had a great life. It makes me so very nostalgic for my youth when I hear some of her songs. 

I said to my husband, how did she get that braless top past the censors on Johnny Carson, late 60's, early 70's? It was the time of course and from the look of the doc. she didn't own a bra! 

Her paternal grandfather emigrated from Germany to Mexico. At some point they settled in Tuscon on a cattle ranch. It was very interesting about her maternal grandfather being a successful inventor with many inventions. Her mom must have inherited his smarts but it was sad that an educated woman didn't get to fulfill her dream of becoming a scientist.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

I especially loved the last few minutes where she was with her cousin and nephew singing in Spanish about 'un huerfano' ( an orphan). I got teary because I had assumed she couldn't sing a note at all and also having lost my remaining parent this year, feel like an orphan. 

"That wasn't really singing." 😢 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Her paternal grandfather emigrated from Germany to Mexico. At some point they settled in Tuscon on a cattle ranch. It was very interesting about her maternal grandfather being a successful inventor with many inventions. Her mom must have inherited his smarts but it was sad that an educated woman didn't get to fulfill her dream of becoming a scientist.

Right. That makes him German! Just because you live in Mexico doesn’t make you Mexican. I’m stumped  

Who has the Mexican blood. 

Just now, msrachelj said:

Right. That makes him German! Just because you live in Mexico doesn’t make you Mexican. I’m stumped  

Who has the Mexican blood. 

As far as I can recall, no one had Mexican blood unless the paternal grandfather married a woman who was Mexican.  But much like the influx of Italians who emigrated from Italy to Argentina in the last century, and who have Italian surnames, the subsequent generations would consider themselves Argentine, and not Italian.  Pope Francis is one whose ancestors came from Italy but I believe he considers himself Argentine.  So if Linda's paternal grandfather, a German, emigrated to Mexico and even if he was married to a German woman when he arrived and then they had Linda's dad, the dad was raised in Mexico and grew up speaking Spanish.  So, I guess he considered himself Mexican.  

Just went to check Wikipedia and I am mistaken. It was her GREAT-grandfather who emigrated from Germany. He married a Mexican woman.  Here is the info from Wikipedia: 

"Linda's father came from a pioneering Arizona ranching family[29] and was of German, English, and Mexican ancestry.[30] The family's influence on and contributions to Arizona's history, including wagon making, commerce, pharmacies, and music, are chronicled in the library of the University of Arizona.[31] Linda Ronstadt's great-grandfather, graduate engineer Friedrich August Ronstadt (who went by Federico Augusto Ronstadt) immigrated to the Southwest (then a part of Mexico) in the 1840s from Hanover, Germany, and married a Mexican citizen, eventually settling in Tucson.[32][33] In 1991, the City of Tucson opened its central transit terminal on March 16 and dedicated it to Linda's grandfather, Federico José María Ronstadt, a local pioneer businessman; he was a wagon maker whose early contribution to the city's mobility included six mule-drawn streetcars delivered in 1903–04.[34]

Her mother Ruth Mary, of German, English, and Dutch ancestry, was raised in Flint, Michigan. She was a daughter of Lloyd Groff Copeman, a prolific inventor and holder of many patents. Copeman, with nearly 700 patents to his name, invented an early form of the toaster, many refrigerator devices, the grease gun, the first electric stove, and an early form of the microwave oven. His flexible rubber ice cube tray earned him millions of dollars in royalties."

• Useful 2

She has a Mexican ancestry through her father’s side. Her great grandfather emigrated from Germany to Mexico and married a lady of Mexican heritage. Then they moved to Tuscan.

or what ECM1231 just posted 😆

Edited by chitowngirl
  • LOL 1
54 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

Yeah, I suppose you are right.  😥

That quote was from Linda herself, she said it right after they were done singing. It DID sound like singing to me, but obviously it's nowhere near what she used to be able to do. 

• Love 1