Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

Count me in as another Craxy-Ex/Eli Stone/all things musical fan. Even Ally McBeal used musical numbers in a way I loved. Also a fan of shows where nice people develop strange abilities and start helping people ala Kevin (probably) Saves the World, whatever that one was where the guy got tomorrow’s newspaper today, etc. So this is right up my alley. And no shock, after weeks of seeing it suggested to me on Hulu, I watched it and really enjoyed it. I was all set to continue on to episode 2, and was mighty sad to see it doesn’t drop til the 16th - although my first thought was that it was cancelled after one episode, so I’m relieved it wasn’t that! 

in the interim I’ll give a plug to the show Encore! on Disney+. Each week they bring together the cast of a high-school musical that was staged 10-30 years ago, to restage it with 5 days rehearsal. I watched it yesterday and it got me singing around the house, and wishing more shows had song and dance numbers, which is how I ended up finally watching this show! 

Last comment about a show I loved that used a ton of music - someone upthread mentioned Ed, which has never been released on DVD or streaming because of the cost of the music rights - I consider that one of the great tragedies of television. That was such a great feel-good show. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, marieYOTZ said:

Also a fan of shows where nice people develop strange abilities and start helping people ala Kevin (probably) Saves the World, whatever that one was where the guy got tomorrow’s newspaper today, etc. So this is right up my alley.

I believe that was Early Edition, with a very young and baby faced Kyle Chandler (Friday Night Lights, Bloodlines). I like these kinds of shows too.

• Love 5
On 2/2/2020 at 11:26 AM, rejnel said:

HATE the title. "Zoey's Playlist" would be good. "Extraordinary" is clunky and pointless. 

It’s probably for SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and branding. Googling the three words together makes it more discoverable online than just the 2 words. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, marieYOTZ said:

Count me in as another Craxy-Ex/Eli Stone/all things musical fan. Even Ally McBeal used musical numbers in a way I loved. Also a fan of shows where nice people develop strange abilities and start helping people ala Kevin (probably) Saves the World, whatever that one was where the guy got tomorrow’s newspaper today, etc. So this is right up my alley. And no shock, after weeks of seeing it suggested to me on Hulu, I watched it and really enjoyed it. I was all set to continue on to episode 2, and was mighty sad to see it doesn’t drop til the 16th - although my first thought was that it was cancelled after one episode, so I’m relieved it wasn’t that! 

in the interim I’ll give a plug to the show Encore! on Disney+. Each week they bring together the cast of a high-school musical that was staged 10-30 years ago, to restage it with 5 days rehearsal. I watched it yesterday and it got me singing around the house, and wishing more shows had song and dance numbers, which is how I ended up finally watching this show! 

Last comment about a show I loved that used a ton of music - someone upthread mentioned Ed, which has never been released on DVD or streaming because of the cost of the music rights - I consider that one of the great tragedies of television. That was such a great feel-good show. 

Ed was such a good show. I wish it would be released!

17 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I believe that was Early Edition, with a very young and baby faced Kyle Chandler (Friday Night Lights, Bloodlines). I like these kinds of shows too.

Yup. It was Early Edition

• Love 2
2 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

I'm going to reserve judgment on this show until I see more of it but one thing I'm grateful for is the show made me re-watch both seasons of Eli Stone and I'm so glad I did.  GREAT SHOW!

Where did you rewatch them? I never saw it, and would like to. On

• Love 1

I liked this show but there were so many cliche characters. Cute perky lead who will be stuffed in a romantic triangle, best friend who is in love with the lead, her crush who is going to marry a girl who is obviously not right for him, a very loud and obnoxious neighbor, a coworker who hates women since nobody will date him, and another coworker who is secretly out to get her job. Did I miss anyone?

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, twoods said:

I liked this show but there were so many cliche characters. Cute perky lead who will be stuffed in a romantic triangle, best friend who is in love with the lead, her crush who is going to marry a girl who is obviously not right for him, a very loud and obnoxious neighbor, a coworker who hates women since nobody will date him, and another coworker who is secretly out to get her job. Did I miss anyone?

The parent character who "just doesn't know" how to handle the "hard stuff" - it's usually a father not knowing it, but hey, still a cliche.

• Love 1
On 2/5/2020 at 7:33 AM, marieYOTZ said:

Count me in as another Craxy-Ex/Eli Stone/all things musical fan. Even Ally McBeal used musical numbers in a way I loved. Also a fan of shows where nice people develop strange abilities and start helping people ala Kevin (probably) Saves the World, whatever that one was where the guy got tomorrow’s newspaper today, etc. So this is right up my alley.

I kept thinking of Wonderfalls, about a girl who is told by animal figurines at her retail job to help people.

• Love 5
On 2/12/2020 at 1:54 PM, plurie said:

There's the neighbor, who fulfills this role even though she's not technically a friend.

More of a peanut gallery to toss out pithy observations and sarcastic remarks.

On 2/25/2020 at 6:24 PM, chairhead said:

I liked it but it was clearly lifted from a scrubs episode....

Nah - the Scrubs episode was based on a real thing that happened - a tumor in someone's head that led to them experiencing a musical.

If anything, this show is like Eli Stone.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

And as my husband says: “hey, it’s work for the dance people!”

I agree. There are so many talented dancers and not nearly enough jobs so I'm glad whenever there's a show that provides opportunities for them to get paid.

• Love 5

They had me at Peter Gallagher. I mean, I always figured I would watch this show but it took me a while to warm up to the pilot. 

I'm not sure they nailed the tone for me. Absurdism is difficult. It takes a certain level of performance and commitment from the actors to really gel. Having the extras not emote that much as they were singing was a poor directorial choice in my opinion. Were they supposed to be good actors or bad actors? Good singers or bad singers? I feel like I needed more Crazy Ex-Girlfriend... like Rebecca sounds great singing in her head and the musical numbers are great because they're the fullest expression of whatever the characters are feeling. I just felt bored watching the big Beatles group number... like I was watching a slightly worse La La Land (and I don't even like La La Land). Mad World was a little better and True Colors was perfect but all the other musical numbers were so strange. The actors were close to stone-faced and they didn't seem like they were being shot by a director who knows how to film a musical number. 

Alex Newell has a great voice but a neighbor (unless they're a performer who needs to rehearse) singing loudly at all hours of the day is an asshole. Love the character though. He's giving me great 90's Whoopi Goldberg energy.

Alex and Skylar and Peter are the MVPs to me right now. In some of their scenes I get glimpses of what this show would be if it was firing on all cylinders. I enjoyed Jane on Suburgatory but I find her kind of shaky as the protagonist. She doesn't seem as compelling as the people around her and she has to carry the craziness of the premise by herself at this point. I feel like a "straight man" protagonist is harder in a musical show. She doesn't even really have the snark and cynicism of a George on Dead Like Me. I feel like her strength right now is not as a plucky heroine but as a dramatic actress. The one scene that really worked for me was her being able to connect to her dad.

If Leif isn't supposed to be gay, then I think that actor would be an adorable love interest/frenemy. I did not recognize India de Beaufort (Simon's fiance Jessica) as Kristin from Kevin Probably Saves the World. While a non-white love interest would be great, I'm not interested in the show breaking up Simon and Jessica so he can be with Zoey.

Right now I'm having that problem I have with a lot of shows that I think have tone problems. I can see where the jokes are. I just don't find them funny. The exception is Skylar Astin's quips.

I figured they wouldn't hire Peter Gallagher if they weren't going to let him sing. But I thought they would save it for later in the series. Like, after Zoey built up cosmic goodwill from using this power to help people, she'd finally break through to her father. I teared up when he sang. It was just so sweet.

1 hour ago, aradia22 said:

If Leif isn't supposed to be gay, then I think that actor would be an adorable love interest/frenemy. I did not recognize India de Beaufort (Simon's fiance Jessica) as Kristin from Kevin Probably Saves the World. While a non-white love interest would be great, I'm not interested in the show breaking up Simon and Jessica so he can be with Zoey.

THAT'S WHERE I RECOGNIZED HER FROM

thank you

• Love 2

A hole show made up of musical episodes? Ah hell yeah, sign me up!

On 1/8/2020 at 7:41 AM, luna1122 said:

I loved it. It's like the Scrubs musical episode, which is a fave. I love Jane Levy and I love the LOOK of this show, so bright and pretty. I love the setting, I love the cast. i'm sure it's too twee by half for some folks, but I'm in it for the long haul. Or short, cuz it probably won't last.

I think  Buffy was one of the first ones with the musical episodes. Also the magicians has done the musical episodes pretty great recently. So would recommend those shows if you like musical episodes.

On 1/8/2020 at 7:37 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

On top of all that, I love that they weren't autotuning the crap out of everyone (ahem, Glee). I liked that they chose a variety of songs (different music styles, different decades, etc).

Neither did the Glee pilot. It got extremely annoying on Glee, but there is a big problem with cranking out 22 episodes a year and having people sing as often as they need to, to get the songs right. Autotuning the hell out of everybody is just so much esier.

Let's hope the show runners here set the right priorities.

Edit: I don't think this is a spoiler. Having watched a few more episodes, they did crank up the autotune a bit. More than I would like. But I'm probably in the minority in that I'd rather hear a note not quite hit here and there than autotune.

Overall I think it's still tolerable. Certainly not as bad as in Glee.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Prower said:

I think  Buffy was one of the first ones with the musical episodes. Also the magicians has done the musical episodes pretty great recently. So would recommend those shows if you like musical episodes.

Actually I really hate non-musical shows that have musical episodes but I really love this show so it's kind of weird for me.

• Love 1
On 4/13/2020 at 12:55 PM, Clanstarling said:

Actually I really hate non-musical shows that have musical episodes but I really love this show so it's kind of weird for me.

Maybe musical episodes seem gimmicky to you, but musical numbers are the premise of this one, so that's different? 

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, topanga said:

Maybe musical episodes seem gimmicky to you, but musical numbers are the premise of this one, so that's different? 

I think you're right. The music is baked into the show by premise and plot. Not as a ratings grabber "special" episode.

• Love 1

Yeah, I'm coming into this late, so I'll be short. I liked Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, so I'm down for a musical show. This was mainly set-up - it's a pilot after all - so I want to see a couple more episodes to get  a better feel of what they're trying to do here.

One big question I had that they didn't answer was, what were Zoey's MRI results?? They probably answer this later, but it bugged me.

I liked it enough to check out more.

• Love 1

I've never heard of Eli Stone, but I'm surprised than no one has mentioned Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, which not only used musical numbers to move the plot but had two to four original numbers in every hour long program.
And Skylar Astin replaced one third of the central love triangle in the last season. (And in my opinion did a better job than the original actor.)

6 hours ago, femmefan1946 said:

I've never heard of Eli Stone, but I'm surprised than no one has mentioned Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, which not only used musical numbers to move the plot but had two to four original numbers in every hour long program.
And Skylar Astin replaced one third of the central love triangle in the last season. (And in my opinion did a better job than the original actor.)

I could have sworn that Crazy Ex-Girlfriend was mentioned. In any case, I think the Eli Stone is referred to more often  because the onset of hallucinations (I assume musical, I haven't seen it)  was due to neurological problems - and the MRI gives us a hint that the same thing might be true for Zoey.

• Love 3
On 4/22/2020 at 4:12 PM, Dowel Jones said:

I thought the machine crashed before there was any complete reading.  It's been quite awhile ago for me, so don't quote me on that.  However, they more or less dropped the original reason for the MRI, too.

Any doctor worth their salt would’ve asked her to repeat the MRI. But maybe they did, and she said No thanks.  

• Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, femmefan1946 said:

I'm surprised than no one has mentioned Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, which not only used musical numbers to move the plot but had two to four original numbers in every hour long program.

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I could have sworn that Crazy Ex-Girlfriend was mentioned.

CEG was definitely mentioned several times in the first two pages of this episode thread because it's the most recent musical show before this one (ETA: it's also mentioned several times on this page too). I can only hope that ZEP gets a few more seasons (and that the showrunners have a plan beyond S1).

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1