Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
saoirse

S01.E01: Pilot

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

 

I bawled during True Colors. Like fucking hell!

I didn't expect the show to have that kind of emotional tinge to it

 

Yeah. If I stop watching, it will be because it’s too emotionally draining for me. I don’t know yet if I’d classify this show with the outright emotional manipulators like This Is Us and  A Million Little Things, but if that’s the genre they’re going for, I’m out. I like the musical numbers okay. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yeah. If I stop watching, it will be because it’s too emotionally draining for me. I don’t know yet if I’d classify this show with the outright emotional manipulators like This Is Us and  A Million Little Things, but if that’s the genre they’re going for, I’m out.

I think one of the reasons they included the True Colors scene is so that Zoey would realize her new power is a gift, not a burden. It's one thing to be bombarded by random people's feelings and songs while you're just trying to get through your workday, but it's another to be able to know that someone who can no longer speak is still in there and how he's feeling.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I don’t know yet if I’d classify this show with the outright emotional manipulators like This Is Us and  A Million Little Things, but if that’s the genre they’re going for, I’m out. I like the musical numbers okay. 

Exactly this. I fucking can't with those shows and I did not expect this show to have that vibe. I'm hopeful though that it's not really like that. I guess we'll see when it airs again in 100 days or whatever lol.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Exactly this. I fucking can't with those shows and I did not expect this show to have that vibe. I'm hopeful though that it's not really like that. I guess we'll see when it airs again in 100 days or whatever lol.

"Just" 36 days (Feb 16 Sunday 9/8c), heh. 
At least this is one show that I won't forget during the ridiculously long wait.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

For anyone who wants to watch Eli Stone - either to see it again or to check it out for the first time - it's available for free streaming through, at a minimum, abc.com and the ABC app on Roku.  I can't speak for other app devices since I don't have them.  But you can find it listed under All Shows or Throwback, along with plenty of other great past shows, like Reaper and FlashForward.

As for Zoey, it's not inherently my kind of show, but I did enjoy this.  Its mix of light-heartedness and serious emotional beats has piqued my interest.  I love Jane, too.  Ugh, if Jeremy Sisto were to guest star in an episode with her, I'd be totally eeeeeeee! over it.  Honestly, I'd totally take Parker Young guest starring, too.

If they want to make the sort of chauvinist co-worker more tolerable, they need to tone him down or at least give him some redeemable backstory and/or personality traits.  I know his chauvinism was done on purpose (not that the writers think it's totally fine), but sheesh.  I can't imagine a real-world scenario where two men are seen talking and people automatically assume they're sharing secrets or giving unfair advantages, instead of, you know, just doing work.  And that womp-womp line about "now I have two female bosses" - well, sure, that IS notable, especially in tech, because the vast majority of the time, hierarchy is male but no one says anything about that.  Boo hoo for you, buddy.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
52 minutes ago, sweetandsour said:

if Jeremy Sisto were to guest star in an episode with her, I'd be totally eeeeeeee! over it.  

I want to see Dalia forced to be the organic caterer at a lesbian wedding.

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm so glad you guys love this new show as much as I do! I got to work as an extra on the pilot and trust me, we all LOVED what we were doing those couple days. I can't talk too much about what scenes I did (NDA, meh), but we all had a blast and I'm thrilled it's being well received. :) 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, sweetandsour said:

If they want to make the sort of chauvinist co-worker more tolerable, they need to tone him down or at least give him some redeemable backstory and/or personality traits.

Now that Jane is his boss, I hope she starts to shut him down, because that sort of thing isn't funny.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I enjoyed this way more than I thought I would (I like musical shows, but the premise sounded a little weird). The True Colors scene really got to me. Very well done. I'll definitely continue to watch

As a former software developer (now retired!), I was annoyed they didn't think of checking the interface between the device and software a whole lot sooner

 

Edited by DanaK
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, DanaK said:

I enjoyed this way more than I thought I would (I like musical shows, but the premise sounded a little weird). The True Colors scene really got to me. Very well done. I'll definitely continue to watch

As a former software developer (now retired!), I was annoyed they didn't think of checking the interface between the device and software a whole lot sooner

 

I'm not a software dev or involved in programming at all, just a computer nerd, and I was wondering why they never checked if the two were talking to each other

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm the opposite of most folks who posted here. I can't stand musicals, but I really liked the episode's theme of talking about love, death, and loss presented in a unique way. I'm glad major networks are starting to give shows with unique hooks a shot; it helps break up the monotony of the usual litany of crime or hospital dramas. Not that there's anything wrong with those types of shows; I like variety.

One minor thing about using musicals as a plot device that makes me apprehensive is the use of song as deus ex machina. I'm a very story-driven person so the use of that technique to short-cut conflict resolution is not my cup of tea. This episode didn't use it here, but it's used in musicals quite frequently so I could be worried for no reason.

Also, I found it weird the writers chose to out Leif as a baddie in the first episode with his song. They could have saved this information for later episodes or made use of him as a double agent in some of the plot conflicts. However, this isn't necessarily a bad thing and skipping to knowing he's duplicitous could lead to more inventive uses of his character.

All in all, I like the creativity of this show's idea and liked it alot more than I thought I would. I love being pleasantly surprised and look forward to watching future episodes!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, Catfi9ht said:

One minor thing about using musicals as a plot device that makes me apprehensive is the use of song as deus ex machina. I'm a very story-driven person so the use of that technique to short-cut conflict resolution is not my cup of tea. This episode didn't use it here, but it's used in musicals quite frequently so I could be worried for no reason.

I'm optimistic this will not be an issue.  Only Zoey sees and hears the songs.  You cannot resolve conflict when the other person isn't even present for the conversation.  It may help her along with attempting to resolve things having insight into the other persons thoughts, intentions, and/or feelings.  But she still has to navigate those intentions and feelings in the real world.

This is why I don't mind Leif being outed as disingenuous.  Rather than resolving a conflict, it sets one up.  Zoey now knows her seemingly supportive co-worker come subordinate is a bit shady, but it's knowledge she has that she cannot act on in any way other than to be cautious of his motives. He didn't do anything.  He had thoughts.  So, all she can do is not trust him without, as his supervisor at work, appearing too much not to  not trust him. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

14 minutes ago, RachelKM said:

This is why I don't mind Leif being outed as disingenuous.  Rather than resolving a conflict, it sets one up.  Zoey now knows her seemingly supportive co-worker come subordinate is a bit shady, but it's knowledge she has that she cannot act on in any way other than to be cautious of his motives. He didn't do anything.  He had thoughts.  So, all she can do is not trust him without, as his supervisor at work, appearing too much not to  not trust him. 

And she can’t confront him about it because she can’t explain how she knows this about him either. She’s in a similar position with the BFF who’s in love with her. Now she knows but she can’t exactly say anything about it (at least not directly).

With Max, she could use the same MO as she used with Stewart - give him the opportunity to open up and talk to her about it. But with the jackass coworker all she can really do is give him enough rope to hang himself and see if he exposes himself as a jerk. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/8/2020 at 3:26 PM, dubbel zout said:

Shame on Zoe for throwing away two perfectly delicious, uneaten cheesecakes! Give them away instead!

I know, right?

On 1/12/2020 at 10:19 AM, DanaK said:

I enjoyed this way more than I thought I would (I like musical shows, but the premise sounded a little weird). The True Colors scene really got to me. Very well done. I'll definitely continue to watch

As a former software developer (now retired!), I was annoyed they didn't think of checking the interface between the device and software a whole lot sooner

 

My husband, also retired software developer said the same (not to mention, that the default setting should have been noticed right away).

I don't tend to like musical episodes of a show that is not a musical (Grey's Anatomy, et al). But in this case, the reason for it was set up well, and I enjoyed it tremendously. I was very surprised at how often it moved me.

I got my husband to watch it - he is pretty resistant to musical shows. But he gave it a tentative thumbs up with a "let's see if they can keep this up" statement.

We really laughed at the MRI scene, as my husband just had one - during a bad storm - and the power went out just as he was being pulled out. So it resonated just a bit, but thankfully, in an amusing way.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Surprise 2

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

We really laughed at the MRI scene, as my husband just had one - during a bad storm - and the power went out just as he was being pulled out. So it resonated just a bit, but thankfully, in an amusing way.

I always laugh at MRI scenes because no matter what tv show they're on (even medical shows like House and Grey's Anatomy that have medical advisors), they always show people inside the magnet gabbing away which is not how MRI machines work. You have to stay perfectly still in order to get a clear picture. The motion from talking is enough to give you an unreadable image.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I always laugh at MRI scenes because no matter what tv show they're on (even medical shows like House and Grey's Anatomy that have medical advisors), they always show people inside the magnet gabbing away which is not how MRI machines work. You have to stay perfectly still in order to get a clear picture. The motion from talking is enough to give you an unreadable image.

True that. I don't mind the noise, but I really hate holding still. When someone tells me to be still, I really, really, want to move.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

True that. I don't mind the noise, but I really hate holding still. When someone tells me to be still, I really, really, want to move.

Related corollaries: I never want to go anywhere until my car is in the shop; I never want to eat anything after 9pm until I'm told I have to fast for something the next morning; and of course, I never have to pee until the bathroom is occupied.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, saoirse said:

I never want to eat anything after 9pm until I'm told I have to fast for something the next morning

Ugh, this is the worst! That's why I schedule all my scans for as early in the morning as possible. I roll out of bed and onto the slab, and hopefully my rumbling stomach doesn't ruin the results.

On 1/13/2020 at 2:41 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:
On 1/13/2020 at 2:20 PM, RachelKM said:

This is why I don't mind Leif being outed as disingenuous.  Rather than resolving a conflict, it sets one up.  Zoey now knows her seemingly supportive co-worker come subordinate is a bit shady, but it's knowledge she has that she cannot act on in any way other than to be cautious of his motives. He didn't do anything.  He had thoughts.  So, all she can do is not trust him without, as his supervisor at work, appearing too much not to  not trust him. 

And she can’t confront him about it because she can’t explain how she knows this about him either. She’s in a similar position with the BFF who’s in love with her. Now she knows but she can’t exactly say anything about it (at least not directly).

This is more interesting to me than the outwardly douchey employee. (Which, why is he still employed? No way a company would let that kind of behavior continue. It's creating a hostile workplace and some of it is likely harassment.) I'm curious to see how Zoey will deal with him.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Is it just me, or do they put a little cage around your heads when you get a head MRI?

Every time I have had one, they put a cage around it to limit movement - if you don't get it, maybe it is because I have a mild tremor/CP/autism/epilepsy?

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, bros402 said:

Is it just me, or do they put a little cage around your heads when you get a head MRI?

Every time I have had one, they put a cage around it to limit movement - if you don't get it, maybe it is because I have a mild tremor/CP/autism/epilepsy?

It varies by the hospital/clinic and even by the doctor. Sometimes the technician will provide things that discourage movement. One researcher I worked with created custom bite bars for each patient (kind of like when you get molds of your teeth before getting braces - you put your teeth into a goopy mixture and then it hardens) so that there would be minimal movement.

But it's likely that what you are describing is the coil.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm pretty sure I've had more MRIs and CT Scans and X-rays than anyone here (but it's not a contest) so I too was taken out of the scene with the MRI (for me it was: What? No headphones or earplugs? And then remembering the music was impossible to hear the times I opted for it).
But then I heard NPR reviewer David Bianculli describe Zoey's MRI as  "the show's go-with-it premise" and decided going with the MRI as depicted in the scene is actually better than any real MRI, so it's not a deal breaker for me. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

TIL:

51441436_ScreenShot2020-01-15at1_48_37PM.thumb.png.5d7404607fbf9070521b223b94b81866.png

Thanks!  Not being snarky - I genuinely like seeing a word for the first time.  Now I have to use it in the next couple of days to remember it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

No headphones or earplugs?

A lot of people decline earplugs when they’re offered for an MRI (both newbies and return patients) so I was willing to overlook that more easily than the usual “let’s lie in the scanner and talk” we inevitably see on tv!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It varies by the hospital/clinic and even by the doctor. Sometimes the technician will provide things that discourage movement. One researcher I worked with created custom bite bars for each patient (kind of like when you get molds of your teeth before getting braces - you put your teeth into a goopy mixture and then it hardens) so that there would be minimal movement.

But it's likely that what you are describing is the coil.

yup that's what they put on me when I get them. Today I learned that that head cage thing for an MRI is called a coil

15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm pretty sure I've had more MRIs and CT Scans and X-rays than anyone here (but it's not a contest) so I too was taken out of the scene with the MRI (for me it was: What? No headphones or earplugs? And then remembering the music was impossible to hear the times I opted for it).
But then I heard NPR reviewer David Bianculli describe Zoey's MRI as  "the show's go-with-it premise" and decided going with the MRI as depicted in the scene is actually better than any real MRI, so it's not a deal breaker for me. 

ooooh, how many have you had? I've only had like 20 or so.

I've had like 100 blood draws in the last 5 years, so I might have had more blood draws in my life than anyone here 😛

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

This has been sitting on my dvr and I just got around to watching it.  As another former Eli Stone fan, I loved it!  It was a good balance of upbeat and funny combined with some deeper emotional beats.  Zoey's dad is breaking my heart.  The True Colors scene and the one on the sailboat when he touches his wife's hand...*sniffle*

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

On this snowy cold Saturday, I finally decided to watch this show which has been on my DVR for a while. I LOVED Glee and My Crazy Ex Girlfriend so I knew this would be up my alley. Also, I have loved Jane a levy since Suburgatory.
Right off the bat I found it so funny that Jane and John Clarence Stewart both star in this. Girl, you’re crushing on your brothers partner. Ew! Ha. Anyone but me loved What/If??

i was hoping for more Skylar Austin but I’m sure that will come... I loved all the amazing dancing.   Excited to see more come February 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, willgracefan said:

Right off the bat I found it so funny that Jane and John Clarence Stewart both star in this. Girl, you’re crushing on your brothers partner. Ew! Ha. Anyone but me loved What/If??

I knew he looked familiar! That is kinda funny. Also, I too loved What/If in all it’s terrible, terrible glory. Although, I look at it a bit differently now that we know about Blake Jenner.

Anyway, to make this somewhat on topic, does anyone know if the songs from this will be available anywhere? I remember seeing something at the bottom of the screen about spotify but like are they gonna have the recordings of the cast on there or just a playlist of the original songs?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I am going to give this show one more chance but I actually hate it right now.  It is VERY "Cop Rock" for me, with the singing/songs distracting from the impact of the scenes. The next door neighbor is very good and natural...she is actually a highlight.

I do find the interjection of the songs very treacly and a bit much. Less is more, so I will try and catch ep 2 to see if they temper things down.

Full disclosure, I was not a big fan of Glee nor am I a fan of musicals (except for Hamilton). So, I am probably not the target audience here. Lol.

Edited by L2vagaJovi · Reason: I forgot "I"
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm in love! I've been waiting for something like this to fill the Crazy Ex shaped holed in my heart. So happy to have a musical show back on the air. It's cute, touching, even deeply moving in the father-daughter scene.

Speaking of Peter Gallagher, I've been rewatching The OC for old times' sake recently and seeing how Daddy Cohen has aged makes me realize how I've aged. Ah, time! it just rolls on and on.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm excited to see where this show goes - do we know when the next ep is going to air? I know there was going to be a pause in between but I really hate when they do this - I would think it would cause many to lose interest if there is not a sooner follow-up. 

In the meantime, I stumbled across Netflix's show Soundtrack - which was really good - it's a different take where they lipsynch to the songs instead of sing them but the choreo and interactions are great. The songs are used to show/amplify a person's feelings/thoughts in the moment and are not really happening. Madeleine Stowe is in it and some new faces to me. I really liked it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, slaterain said:

I'm excited to see where this show goes - do we know when the next ep is going to air? I know there was going to be a pause in between but I really hate when they do this - I would think it would cause many to lose interest if there is not a sooner follow-up. 

In the meantime, I stumbled across Netflix's show Soundtrack - which was really good - it's a different take where they lipsynch to the songs instead of sing them but the choreo and interactions are great. The songs are used to show/amplify a person's feelings/thoughts in the moment and are not really happening. Madeleine Stowe is in it and some new faces to me. I really liked it. 

 

It is coming back middle of February, I believe - sometime around the 15th or 16th? Don't feel like getting google up right now

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/10/2020 at 7:38 AM, alexa said:

Like usual, I feel a little left out because I didn't love it.  I didn't hate it, but realistically I don't know that I can handle that many musical numbers.

I'm on the fence, too. I got super impatient during the numbers and started fast forwarding. It felt like too many, too long. If it's going to stay like this, it may not be for me.

On 1/21/2020 at 7:06 AM, L2vagaJovi said:

The next door neighbor is very good and natural...she is actually a highlight.

I do find the interjection of the songs very treacly and a bit much. Less is more, so I will try and catch ep 2 to see if they temper things down.

Full disclosure, I was not a big fan of Glee nor am I a fan of musicals (except for Hamilton). So, I am probably not the target audience here. Lol.

The neighbor was great! And I'm also not a big musical fan so I"m aware I'm also not the target audience. (I tuned in for Jane Levy.) Once in a while I'll love one, though, so worth checking!

On 1/22/2020 at 11:51 AM, slaterain said:

I'm excited to see where this show goes - do we know when the next ep is going to air? I know there was going to be a pause in between but I really hate when they do this - I would think it would cause many to lose interest if there is not a sooner follow-up.

My challenge with the gap is I only watch what I have Tivo season passes set up for. I do not look at the schedule or notice when things are on. I couldn't even tell you what night my fav shows are on! And I don't see show ads, because DVR. After watching a pilot I like, I automatically set up a season pass or record episode #2 if I'm on the fence. But I can't do that if the next epi isn't for weeks. I can't guarantee I'll find this show when it starts officially, and I'm not motivated to hunt.

Edited by snarktini
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, snarktini said:

I'm on the fence, too. I got super impatient during the numbers and started fast forwarding. It felt like too many, too long. If it's going to stay like this, it may not be for me.

I agree, the musical numbers were too long. I didn't watch Glee much but I did watch Crazy Ex Girlfriend. Since the songs in Zoey's playlist are not original, the lyrics aren't going to reveal anything new to me, so pretty well every time someone started to sing I thought I get it already, let's move on. I thought Skylar Astin's performance in his number was great, but I was already exhausted from all of the other numbers and that detracted from my enjoyment. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/8/2020 at 9:36 PM, LisaM said:

I think that Zoey mentioned that her dad could not swallow anymore (in connection with the granola). Did they actually mention the name of his disease?

I don't think they did in-show, but it seems to be in press coverage of the show.  Progressive supranuclear palsy.  

I was wrong about when the swallowing issues happen. Apparently it's mid-stage, not the advanced stage, but it gets a lot WORSE in the advanced stage and becomes dangerous.  

On 1/13/2020 at 12:48 PM, Catfi9ht said:

One minor thing about using musicals as a plot device that makes me apprehensive is the use of song as deus ex machina. I'm a very story-driven person so the use of that technique to short-cut conflict resolution is not my cup of tea. This episode didn't use it here, but it's used in musicals quite frequently so I could be worried for no reason.

I can see that as a criticism of musicals in general, but I think the structure of this makes it acceptable if they use it that way.  In a regular musical people breaking into song and dance is ridiculous.  Here they have a REASON to be doing it, because it's all in her mind.  So it's bound to be used as a device, because it's her subconscious talking to her.  If we really think she's reading people's minds as well, then we have to accept on top of that a magical realism aspect too.  Either way, we are going to get certain information only through the songs.  That's just inevitable.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Does anyone know the point of airing a pilot then waiting many weeks to start the show? As a marketing ploy, I don't get it. ... Unless the pilot is shown again at the start of the "actual" season. Then I could see that this little taste is to get buzz happening. Oh, and I forget that everyone who is truly interested can just stream it. So... I suppose the point is to get people to tell their friends this is a "must watch" show before they begin rolling out all the episodes.

  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

13 minutes ago, BonnieD said:

Does anyone know the point of airing a pilot then waiting many weeks to start the show? As a marketing ploy, I don't get it. ... Unless the pilot is shown again at the start of the "actual" season. Then I could see that this little taste is to get buzz happening. Oh, and I forget that everyone who is truly interested can just stream it. So... I suppose the point is to get people to tell their friends this is a "must watch" show before they begin rolling out all the episodes.

It's done to create buzz, similar to when a movie has a limited release before a wide release. As mentioned above, it worked for Glee.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Share this post


Link to post

I went into this with trepidation, but I actually liked it a lot. I hope they have a plan, so it doesn't become just a random song of the week showcase, but so far so good. And the cast is terrific!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, BonnieD said:

Does anyone know the point of airing a pilot then waiting many weeks to start the show? As a marketing ploy, I don't get it. ... Unless the pilot is shown again at the start of the "actual" season. Then I could see that this little taste is to get buzz happening. Oh, and I forget that everyone who is truly interested can just stream it. So... I suppose the point is to get people to tell their friends this is a "must watch" show before they begin rolling out all the episodes.

There's also a whoooole bunch of ads about it. I've gotten a minimum of an ad a day on Spotify since the pilot premiered - and like at least 3x a day the week it premiered.

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, bros402 said:

There's also a whoooole bunch of ads about it. I've gotten a minimum of an ad a day on Spotify since the pilot premiered - and like at least 3x a day the week it premiered.

I just watched the pilot because I got the full episode as an "ad" before a Daily Show video on Youtube. I had seen commercials for it but wasn't really looking to watch it (actually I think I assumed it was on one of the streaming services which I don't have). I ended up watching the whole thing and enjoyed it. Guess I'll be back in February!

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/23/2020 at 3:18 PM, snarktini said:

I'm on the fence, too. I got super impatient during the numbers and started fast forwarding. It felt like too many, too long. If it's going to stay like this, it may not be for me.

The neighbor was great! And I'm also not a big musical fan so I"m aware I'm also not the target audience. (I tuned in for Jane Levy.) Once in a while I'll love one, though, so worth checking!

My challenge with the gap is I only watch what I have Tivo season passes set up for. I do not look at the schedule or notice when things are on. I couldn't even tell you what night my fav shows are on! And I don't see show ads, because DVR. After watching a pilot I like, I automatically set up a season pass or record episode #2 if I'm on the fence. But I can't do that if the next epi isn't for weeks. I can't guarantee I'll find this show when it starts officially, and I'm not motivated to hunt.

I have TiVo too. You can set up a Wishlist search for a show that’s not on within the two-week period. TiVo will record the show when it comes back on, and you can do a season pass then and delete the Wishlist. (When I forget to do that, it seems to record twice.)

Edited by Macnyc
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 1/10/2020 at 7:38 AM, alexa said:

Like usual, I feel a little left out because I didn't love it.  I didn't hate it, but realistically I don't know that I can handle that many musical numbers.  It is one of the things I didn't like about Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and they even limited theirs to a few.  And I like musicals, but I find it disruptive in tv sitcoms if it isn't managed well.  

I wish Peter's character had a storyline that he could be more active as well.

I also didn't much like it, and after a while was on my laptop because there were too many, too long songs.  (Not a fan of musicals!)

Also, I like Peter Gallagher, but his singing was pretty weak and if that's all we're going to get from him plus catatonia, I don't think I'll watch.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Brookside said:

Also, I like Peter Gallagher, but his singing was pretty weak and if that's all we're going to get from him plus catatonia, I don't think I'll watch.

Second this comment and "True Colors" is one of my favorite songs. The song "Help" was also pretty bad. I will continue to watch because Jane Levy is so sexy and she is never, not on the screen the entire show.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Weirdly, I appreciated that everyone wasn't autotuned. It made them seem like realer people than the polished singing one normally gets from anyone paid to do it. They cast people who can act, and decided that if they couldn't sing like pros, that was okay. Or, they made a choice to have them ACT like they couldn't sing, to make them seem more normal vs actor-y? I don't know. But it didn't bother me, even though I totally understand why it could.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

Weirdly, I appreciated that everyone wasn't autotuned. It made them seem like realer people than the polished singing one normally gets from anyone paid to do it. They cast people who can act, and decided that if they couldn't sing like pros, that was okay. Or, they made a choice to have them ACT like they couldn't sing, to make them seem more normal vs actor-y? I don't know. But it didn't bother me, even though I totally understand why it could.

I liked that not everyone was an excellent singer. For want of a better term, it made it more realistic. (I know, I know - but I'm not sure how else to describe how I responded.)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I prefer un-autotuned singing. I got so sick of the excessive use of autotune on Glee (especially when they used it on singers who didn’t even need it). 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Lots of talent on hand! It does feel like a show that won't last long, but as long as Peter Gallagher wants to sing on my TV, I'm in.

HATE the title. "Zoey's Playlist" would be good. "Extraordinary" is clunky and pointless. 

I also wonder if the songs are a little conservative and on the nose. I'm old and not at all hip, so if I know all the songs, they may not get the demographic they need. 

Very white cast, especially for a show set in San Francisco. 

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, rejnel said:

HATE the title. "Zoey's Playlist" would be good. "Extraordinary" is clunky and pointless.

To me, "Zoey's Playlist" would indicate a playlist she actively sets up and controls (like on Spotify or Pandora). "Extraordinary" tells me that there's something...well, extraordinary...about them. She's hearing people's innermost thoughts through songs, an ability triggered by mysterious circumstances. So for me, the word is a carefully selected word that does have a point, even if it is a bit clunky.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I loved this. But I was a HUGE "Crazy Ex Girlfriend" and "Eli Stone" fan. It also reminded me of "Isn't It Romantic," the Rebel Wilson movie where she hits her head and ends up in  a romcom, complete with random musical numbers.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size