Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E12: Ihea ʻoe i ka wā a ka ua e loku ana? (Where Were You When the Rain Was Pouring?)/Magnum P.I. (2018) S02.E12: Desperate Measures (Crossover Storyline)

• Start Topic

When a list of undercover CIA agents is stolen, Steve and Five-0 enlist the help of Magnum (Jay Hernandez), Higgins (Perdita Weeks), Rick (Zachary Knighton) and TC (Stephen Hill) to get it back and protect national security. Also, Higgins gives Tani some personal advice.

Original Airdate: January 3, 2020

SOURCE: https://www.viacomcbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/hawaii-five-0/releases/view?id=54179

And here’s the synopsis for the Magnum P.I. half of the crossover, which airs immediately after the Hawaii Five-0 episode (it was in the same press release):

Magnum P.I. S02.E12: “Desperate Measures”

When Junior (Beulah Koale) is kidnapped as leverage to retrieve the stolen list of undercover CIA agents, and most of Five-0 is rounded up by the CIA to prevent them from interfering, Tani (Meaghan Rath) and Quinn (Katrina Law) ask Magnum and Higgins for their help.

Original Airdate: January 3, 2020

SOURCE: https://www.viacomcbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/hawaii-five-0/releases/view?id=54179

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add info and make corrections to the thread title.
  • Love 1

So...it's not a H50 episode with Magnum characters appearing and a Magnum episode with H50 characters appearing, it's more like a 2-hour episode with both sets of characters (meaning the episodes will make no sense when they appear separately (such as in syndication or on DVDs)). Great. Hey, producers! Rather than make me watch both shows, it makes me not watch the one series I normally watch, since, if I wanted to watch the other series, I would, you know, be watching the other series! L&O did this sort of thing with Homicide, but included both episodes on the L&O DVD (ditto with Homicide). However, they didn't do it when L&O crossed with L&O SVU (so the episode makes no sense). Ditto with showings of CSI, CSI NY, CSI Miami, and Without a Trace (at least they are there in the DVDs). I also skipped the SVU when they tried this sort of thing to make me watch Chicago PD.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

So...it's not a H50 episode with Magnum characters appearing and a Magnum episode with H50 characters appearing, it's more like a 2-hour episode with both sets of characters (meaning the episodes will make no sense when they appear separately (such as in syndication or on DVDs)). Great. Hey, producers! Rather than make me watch both shows, it makes me not watch the one series I normally watch, since, if I wanted to watch the other series, I would, you know, be watching the other series! L&O did this sort of thing with Homicide, but included both episodes on the L&O DVD (ditto with Homicide). However, they didn't do it when L&O crossed with L&O SVU (so the episode makes no sense). Ditto with showings of CSI, CSI NY, CSI Miami, and Without a Trace (at least they are there in the DVDs). I also skipped the SVU when they tried this sort of thing to make me watch Chicago PD.

Regarding the bolded: You should/can probably expect this season’s DVDs for both H50 & Magnum to include BOTH parts of this crossover storyline on each DVD set as an “extra feature”. That way, you only have to buy the DVDs for the show you like, if you don’t like both shows, to get the whole story. That’s what they did in H50 S2 & NCIS: Los Angeles S3 (I think it is), the last time they did this kind of a crossover.

The H50 S2 DVDs have the NCIS: Los Angeles part of the “Touch of Death” crossover storyline as an “extra feature”, & the NCIS: Los Angeles S3 DVDs have the H50 “Touch of Death” episode as an “extra feature”. I know, because I have the H50 S2 DVD set & I know someone who has the DVD sets involved for both shows (I plan to get the NCIS DVDs someday, if I find out there are other DVD extras on it involving the H50 actors who crossed over, besides the ep itself). The only place this storyline makes no sense is in syndication, where the respective shows only air their half of the storyline.

For that matter, the appropriate H50 DVD sets which include episodes that have been “updated” from the original H50 series (original eps “Hookman” & “Cocoon”) have BOTH the original & modern day versions of the episodes included in them.

But, the Magnum & MacGyver episodes where H50 cast members (mostly) just randomly appear, that aren’t legitimate crossovers (like when Noelani appears as the Magnum/HPD Medical Examiner), are only on the DVDs for those shows. There hasn’t been a legitimate crossover involving MacGyver yet (since they’re the only 1 of the 3 Peter Lenkov-run shows which films in Atlanta, that makes a crossover a little harder logistically). H50 characters have been seen in MacGyver, but MacGyver characters haven’t been seen in H50 yet. Characters from each of 2 shows have to go to the other show for the crossover to really be legitimate, just like earlier with H50 & NCIS: Los Angeles & in January with H50 & Magnum P.I..

Edited by BW Manilowe
To hopefully fix a tag and add some info.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I was speculating that Magnum and his Marine buddies might know Junior. I remember Agent Hanna knew McGarrett who was on vacation leave when NCIS:LA crossed over.

I know for the Christmas break episode they have been teasing Magnum being recalled to activate duty for a mission 

15 minutes ago, Raja said:

I was speculating that Magnum and his Marine buddies might know Junior. I remember Agent Hanna knew McGarrett who was on vacation leave when NCIS:LA crossed over.

I know for the Christmas break episode they have been teasing Magnum being recalled to activate duty for a mission 

Regarding the bolded: As I remember, they never explained why Steve wasn’t involved in that crossover when he should’ve been. Alex O’Loughlin was supposed to be in the NCIS episode, with Scott Caan’s Danny character; but right before that crossover was to film, Alex had to take an unexpected leave of absence from the show to deal with problems he was having with prescription painkillers he was taking for injuries he’d received doing his own stunts during the first 2 seasons of H50 to that point (almost the end of S2). Steve’s character was also supposed to have known Sam Hanna through the SEALs, apparently. So they had to do some unexpected, & quick, rewriting to accommodate Alex’s absence (I just now remembered: Steve was off searching around Japan for Doris/Shelburne when Alex was working on the pill problem). They changed it to Chin & Danny going to LA’s NCIS. They also left in a conversation where Kensi & Deeks were talking about how she was supposedly flirting with “Danno”, although the nickname was never mentioned, by anyone, before or after that random conversation (so how did the character who used it know it?)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Raja said:

I'm pretty sure that when Sam asked Detective Williams said that Steve was on leave. And then Lieutenant Kelly stepped in 

Yes, he did. Danny said & Chin went, I mean. But there really wasn’t much choice of who should go with Danny. Lori wasn’t with the team anymore & so the only ones left were Chin & Kono; Chin, at least technically, from before he resigned from the HPD, had more seniority than Kono. So he went with Danny.

3 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Yes, he did. Danny said & Chin went, I mean. But there really wasn’t much choice of who should go with Danny. Lori wasn’t with the team anymore & so the only ones left were Chin & Kono; Chin, at least technically, from before he resigned from the HPD, had more seniority than Kono. So he went with Danny.

Well HPD had reinstated Chin Ho by then so he outranked Danny in their parent police force. The 5-0 Task Force being whatever McGarrett wants Danny is second in command there.

Did HPD ever formally bring back Tanni after dismissing her?

2 minutes ago, Raja said:

Well HPD had reinstated Chin Ho by then so he outranked Danny in their parent police force. The 5-0 Task Force being whatever McGarrett wants Danny is second in command there.

Did HPD ever formally bring back Tanni after dismissing her?

Regarding the bolded: I remember (I think fairly recently) Tani had to go to the cop she punched, which got her expelled from the police academy, for some help on a Five-0 case. I also remember Steve made Junior go to the police academy before he let him join Five-0 (at least officially). But I also remember, or seem to, that something came up which prevented Junior from officially finishing that though Steve seemed to be OK with whatever prevented him finishing & put him on the team without it. As I remember, Tani never finished, either (I remember people talking, at the time, about how Junior might be pissed he had to go to the academy to get on Five-0 but Tani got on the team without having to finish there & graduate).

Steve needs to be told off as to driving everybody's car. It is not funny. In the promo where Steve drives Thomas Ferrari. Yes it is a running gag but to drive Thomas car really would love for Juliet to put Steve in his place.

Someone needs to. Steve can be rude and arrogant for no reason. At least Thomas does have permission. And Juliet and Thomas know one another. 

I like the crossover idea, what to me would be a great touch is if Steve and Thomas are in the car and they start mentioning people they know, like Kamekona, Flippa, Noelani, Duke, Harry Brown, Hirsh, and how those paths have crossed over already.

HOWEVER, here is the big thing I don't like about it. There are concepts in films/theatre called the 4th wall and the 5th wall. The 4th wall is when the characters talk to the audience, the 5th wall is when a character makes reference to themselves in another work. This last happened (sorta) in one 5-0 episode when they were in HQ and found a suspect who traveled to Hawaii under an assumed name. Lou made reference to what a phony sounding name it was, and that name was a character that AOL played in another show. So, my example doesn't quite fit either, but...there was a 5-0 episode when Kamekona earned his helicopter pilot's license and he was taking Steve, Danny and Max for a ride. Max starts blurting out the Magnum theme song which takes Danny by surprise, and then they all start discussing the Magnum show and which character all of them should be. It ends with all of them imitating the theme song. Presenting Magnum as a TV show, and then trying to seamlessly blend with Magnum as a real person...something just doesn't seem right. Maybe that should be the 6th wall, so I will take credit for thinking it up.

Looking forward to January 3, hold all calls.

I strongly suspect that the promo showing Steve driving Magnum's car and them bantering about it is just a teaser, quickly filmed while both actors were available,, and here won't be any such scene in the crossover.  I could be wrong--I frequently am.

There are promos up on Spoiler TV. As it shows that one of five sneak peaks. Steve tells Magnum he does not care if it is anybody's car. He drives as it is his thing. That is the only thing I do not like about him. Yes he gets car sick but he does not have to be rude about it.

I figured it was one of those "quirks" to show how Steve always has to be in charge of things, to the point where if they're going somewhere, he has to be the one driving.  People around him know that, and they just let him, because it's easier than arguing with him every time.  Except Danno, of course.

I'd forgotten about the excuse that he gets carsick.  That weakens the whole thing and does make him seem very inconsiderate.  I kinda liked it better when I thought it was just something he does, not to be rude, but because he just doesn't think about it.  He just always gets in the driver's seat, regardless of whose car it is.  Alpha personality, etc.  Nope, he's just rude.

• Love 1

Kind of wonder if the CIA rounded up Five 0 and planned to kill them since they know so much or that Magnum and his team as well as Tani and Quinn plan to use leverage against the CIA in hopes of releasing Junior and the team?! Notice in the previews in Spoiler TV that they ruined Steve's house. CIA is corrupt as heck! 

14 hours ago, Passepartout said:

Kind of wonder if the CIA rounded up Five 0 and planned to kill them since they know so much or that Magnum and his team as well as Tani and Quinn plan to use leverage against the CIA in hopes of releasing Junior and the team?! Notice in the previews in Spoiler TV that they ruined Steve's house. CIA is corrupt as heck! 

Planned to kill US cops? I don't think the show would ever go that far. Maybe a single rogue CIA agent would want to kill one 5-0 member but certainly not a plan by an agency to take out a US police squad. We have had other federal attorneys and agents try to break 5-0 and their immunity grant from Hawaii's governor.

• Love 1

But how I wonder they will get Five 0 out as really you could not contain that of Steve McGarrett as CIA and other federal agents think they can underestimate the team?! But CIA can't arrest anybody in the USA as other agencies can do that like FBI

Edited by Passepartout
On 12/13/2019 at 2:11 PM, illdoc said:

So...it's not a H50 episode with Magnum characters appearing and a Magnum episode with H50 characters appearing, it's more like a 2-hour episode with both sets of characters (meaning the episodes will make no sense when they appear separately (such as in syndication or on DVDs)). Great. Hey, producers! Rather than make me watch both shows, it makes me not watch the one series I normally watch, since, if I wanted to watch the other series, I would, you know, be watching the other series! L&O did this sort of thing with Homicide, but included both episodes on the L&O DVD (ditto with Homicide). However, they didn't do it when L&O crossed with L&O SVU (so the episode makes no sense). Ditto with showings of CSI, CSI NY, CSI Miami, and Without a Trace (at least they are there in the DVDs). I also skipped the SVU when they tried this sort of thing to make me watch Chicago PD.

Boy, you are really going to hate the "Crisis" crossover.

Maybe DC Comics and the CW will come out with a special DVD that

only has all six episodes of this mega-crossover.

Meanwhile, have you ever watched the original recipe Magnum crossover

where he meets Jessica Fletcher????

(Yes, this actually happened.   They were both on the same night on the same network,

so, just like Hilton Lucas, Doug Heffermann, Raymond Barone, and John Becker

all meeting each other (yes, that too happened, for the same reason),

the network execs said "Hey, why not??")

In the original back-to-back primetime adventure,

Magnum gets arrested for murder (????) and Jessica has to solve the case during her hour, 

but in the syndicated version of Magnum (as Pushing Up Roses explained),

Magnum catches the bad guy and then wakes up from dreaming the whole thing

holding a Fletcher book in his hands, so as not to have a unresolved cliffhanger

when you watch it in syndication. (or on the DVDs)

Interesting way to work around that.

Really the episode was great but one complaint is that Steve, Lou, and Danny were not in Magnum though I did enjoy girl power with Quinn and Tani

But still Steve being captured how many times have we have seen that? You would think Steve would break him and his colleagues/friends out of their mess.

CIA does not have jurisdiction on US soil and really wished Lou would had told off the agent, get the heck off his island

But the CIA agents were not those, but that of thugs it seems hired by the villain of the week. As if they were, they would not had messed Steve's house up. Well it will be clean next week. Want to bet. But how the so called CIA got to Steve, Danny, and Lou did not clearly say or how they were found or Steve knew they were coming as he could had fought off the "agents"

Other than those complaints, enjoyable two parter!

The 5-0 episode felt like a proper crossover with Higgins and Magnum both contributing heavily to 5-0 where as the Magnum PI episode while a continuation of the knock list story it felt like anybody could have been the client with their loved one being held hostage.  It still seemed cheap to have had the CIA put away all the senior members, and weird to keep mentioning they they got Danny too.

2 hours ago, Msample said:

Is it me or is Scott Caan appearing in even less episodes than usual this year? At this point he is a guest star.

Why is he even on the show? He brings nothing more than a few wise cracks and that hideous haircut.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, Twilight Man said:

Boy, you are really going to hate the "Crisis" crossover

Thank Chuck, I watch none of the series involved with "Crisis". 

13 hours ago, Twilight Man said:

Meanwhile, have you ever watched the original recipe Magnum crossover

where he meets Jessica Fletcher????

I probably have seen the "Murder She Wrote" portion (since I've seen all the MSW episodes on Cozi TV), but have never watched an episode of Magnum (old or new), nor do I ever intend to.

On 12/13/2019 at 11:11 AM, illdoc said:

While it turned out that they have the same Mcguffin if you throw out the last teaser cliffhanger scene from 5-0 I think  that both episodes can stand alone.

As they're getting ready to breach the bad guys' house, and the C1A steps in all macho-like, and Grover immediately backs down without a fight...I thought to myself...if something doesn't blow up the second that door opens, I'll be shocked.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Msample said:

Is it me or is Scott Caan appearing in even less episodes than usual this year? At this point he is a guest star.

I'm not sure what's even the point of him still being on. Yet Kono & Chin they could't work out a deal for.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, Passepartout said:

Really the episode was great but one complaint is that Steve, Lou, and Danny were not in Magnum though I did enjoy girl power with Quinn and Tani

But still Steve being captured how many times have we have seen that? You would think Steve would break him and his colleagues/friends out of their mess.

CIA does not have jurisdiction on US soil and really wished Lou would had told off the agent, get the heck off his island

But the CIA agents were not those, but that of thugs it seems hired by the villain of the week. As if they were, they would not had messed Steve's house up. Well it will be clean next week. Want to bet. But how the so called CIA got to Steve, Danny, and Lou did not clearly say or how they were found or Steve knew they were coming as he could had fought off the "agents"

Other than those complaints, enjoyable two parter!

At least put fake FBI decals on their vest, they're spies after all, so there is less problem when cellphone videos go viral.

I liked the lads fanboying on Steve and he handled it just like a big brother with Thomas as the jealous little brother. Team Magnum put their best forward for the 5-0 episode. And HPD Detective Katsumoto, without the task force immunity did step forward for Tani and Quinn. But mostly the third tier characters, even with a bigger than normal Kamekono spot did little on either show's episode. 

3 minutes ago, Artsda said:

I'm not sure what's even the point of him still being on. Yet Kono & Chin they could't work out a deal for.

Regarding the bolded: I don’t think they’d have ever worked out a new deal with Grace Park. I saw on TV (or maybe read) an interview somewhere, where she finally opened up a little about why she left H50; she used the term “boy’s club” in referring to the atmosphere, I guess you’d say, on the set. That usually doesn’t make a female cast member feel welcome at some point.

Another example involving a female lead leaving a TV show, & describing said show using that terminology, involved the actress who played the original female lead on The A-Team. She left that show during its run, was replaced by another actress, then later commented about the set being “a real boy’s club”. When females describe their working conditions in that way, it’s usually not meant positively.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Regarding the bolded: I don’t think they’d have ever worked out a new deal with Grace Park. I saw on TV (or maybe read) an interview somewhere, where she finally opened up a little about why she left H50; she used the term “boy’s club” in referring to the atmosphere, I guess you’d say, on the set. That usually doesn’t make a female cast member feel welcome at some point.

Yeah, I've also read a few things about working for CBS during the Les Moonves era and a couple of years after his departure.  It doesn't seem to be a place that if very favorable to women and some men have also complained.  I think in general everything was a boys club.

I will say that Grace Park seemed to be pleased with where she is working now.  I know that it was initially filmed in Canada which might have also been a plus for her.  Also the show seems to focus more on relationships.  I suppose if you're an actress in your mid-40's you might want to work on a show that has a more serious tone.

13 hours ago, preeya said:

Why is he even on the show?

I guess to bait give hope to McDanno shippers in the fandom? Meanwhile I am still wondering how Steve had an entire ep focused on him getting a date with Eddie's cute vet and then viewers never hear or see anything about it again.

Anywho, I enjoyed this crossover and even watched the Magnum ep to finish the story. Steve & Thomas were fun. I feel like the eps flow faster when Danny isn't in them (no hate on Scott Caan or  Danny but IMO the show constantly has to slow down the fast pace in eps that include Danny so he can get his bitching & moaning snark in and that frustrates me).

I still don't see a lick of romantic chemistry between Tani & Junior despite the show still trying to strong arm me that theirs is an epic love story in the making. TPTB just need to put them together already cause this years long drawn out story for them ain't it on levels.  

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

I guess to bait give hope to McDanno shippers in the fandom? Meanwhile I am still wondering how Steve had an entire ep focused on him getting a date with Eddie's cute vet and then viewers never hear or see anything about it again.

Anywho, I enjoyed this crossover and even watched the Magnum ep to finish the story. Steve & Thomas were fun. I feel like the eps flow faster when Danny isn't in them (no hate on Scott Caan or  Danny but IMO the show constantly has to slow down the fast pace in eps that include Danny so he can get his bitching & moaning snark in and that frustrates me).

I still don't see a lick of romantic chemistry between Tani & Junior despite the show still trying to strong arm me that theirs is an epic love story in the making. TPTB just need to put them together already cause this years long drawn out story for them ain't it on levels.

Years long drawn out story? The characters of Tani & Junior were only introduced in Season 8 & this is Season 10–that’s 2 seasons they’ve been on the show. I don’t consider that a really long drawn out story in comparison to some, like maybe Steve & Catherine for example.

• Love 3

Well, I thought that was pretty enjoyable despite the (usual) plot holes. I've watched the Magnum pilot and nothing else since but the crossover gave me the impression that the team chemistry is good. 

Quite frankly I would watch a spin-off with Quinn, Tani and Higgins doing their own version of 'Charlie's Angels on Hawaii' - Grover could take over as a more paternal Charlie.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Quite frankly I would watch a spin-off with Quinn, Tani and Higgins doing their own version of 'Charlie's Angels on Hawaii' - Grover could take over as a more paternal Charlie.

Someone green light the fuck out of this all day long. McBride can actually act too, so Charlie could be a more active participant.

Leave it to Five 0 to exercise subtlety by barging into hotel guns blazing and basically getting plot armor for the hostage not being killed.

I basically tuned out when Steve had to immediately go to cock measuring with the 'this badge gives me complete authority over everything and everyone in the state' and the whole 'this is our turf' bullshit. For one, it's lazy writing. For the other, it's boring because Five-0 is always right and there's no actual drama. I did like Higgins snapping about being shoved into the blue room.

I would think it must be boring for the writers to have to be constrained to making everything so one-dimensional all the time.

I'll give credit to the actors though - I might actually check out the show. They were really good and the not-Alphaing all over the place is a refreshing narrative.

The whole Steve having to drive bullshit needs to be put to bed. It's just as easy for Magnum to have offered for Steve to drive as a friendly gesture. The whole car banter is stale.

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Well, I thought that was pretty enjoyable despite the (usual) plot holes. I've watched the Magnum pilot and nothing else since but the crossover gave me the impression that the team chemistry is good. 

Laughed out loud when Quinn was pointing out just just how English Higgins is - can  we get her a sister at one point played by Honeysuckle Weeks her actual sister who was in Foyle's War

• Love 2
9 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Years long drawn out story? The characters of Tani & Junior were only introduced in Season 8 & this is Season 10–that’s 2 seasons they’ve been on the show.

That is also 2 years.

2 years of unsubtle, forced material drawn out for inexplicable reasons despite the sledge hammering that they are everlasting love at every turn plus pointed obviousness of their eventual epic romance since they first appeared on the show.

Edited by Chick2Chic
added something
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

The fanboying in the van was eye rolling.

Didn't even miss that Adam was gone.

I wonder why they stopped the action for Tani's call to Adam? All while name dropping Danno and how the Magnum/Higgins relationship was the same.

Given their origin stories Magnum should be relatively well known, escaping from a POW camp while McGarrett being a SEAL and Naval Intelligence before starting 5-0 the unknown vet. But knocking Thomas down a peg is a Magnum PI staple 

(edited)
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

The fanboying in the van was eye rolling.

Didn't even miss that Adam was gone.

Adam wasn’t gone. There was a scene where Tani called him on the phone & talked about him suddenly leaving Five-0 after his current girlfriend, who has ties to the Yakuza, was kidnaped & rescued, & I think her father was killed, & she said she wanted to get together with him to talk about that, & that they’re (him & Five-0) still family, & stuff like that. Then we saw him pick up his passport, open it, & look at an airline boarding pass for a flight between Honolulu & 1 of the airports in Tokyo, it looked like (I’ve traveled a lot so I know a lot of airport codes; I got a better look at the Honolulu code, but it looked like he was supposed to have been flying to Narita International Airport in Tokyo, though they might’ve also doctored the code somewhat, which they didn’t do with Honolulu’s), or somewhere else in Japan. Then he left his house.

Danny was gone the first half. I wasn’t sure if it was weird the CIA also detained him in the second half sInce he didn’t work the case, or not.

11 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

That is also 2 years.

Yes, but it’s still not as long as the Steve/Catherine “Will they?/Won’t they? (get married) has been.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment.
4 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Yes, but it’s still not as long as the Steve/Catherine “Will they?/Won’t they? (get married) has been.

Which isn't relevant to my point about Tani & Junior's tediously drawn out highly telegraphed romance being  clunky since Steve & Catherine are a different story and relationship history but obviously mileage varies. 

• Love 1

My point being 'gone' - from the plot, clearly.

3 minutes ago, Raja said:

I wonder why they stopped the action for Tani's call to Adam?

Because he's on the bill, tbh. I'm not trying to be glib, but TPTBs had to bump him up when the others left the show, and as a regular, they have no idea what to do with the character.

He started out interesting - straddling the line between legit and yakuza, and was of value to Five-0 as sort of a CI. They should have stuck with that because of all the ridiculousness of the show it strains credulity that Adam is a functioning member of Five-0.

10 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

My point being 'gone' - from the plot, clearly.

Because he's on the bill, tbh. I'm not trying to be glib, but TPTBs had to bump him up when the others left the show, and as a regular, they have no idea what to do with the character.

He started out interesting - straddling the line between legit and yakuza, and was of value to Five-0 as sort of a CI. They should have stuck with that because of all the ridiculousness of the show it strains credulity that Adam is a functioning member of Five-0.

I get that Adam is regular with a storyline but other regulars on both shows, well more so Magnum since we had the partner Danny name drops, but many were ignored as they added nothing to the knock list and hostage story 

Yeah, I don't really know either. I'm just shooting the shit because I just watched the show.

I don't necessarily think all characters have to be in every episode of a tv show. Adam still being in 'business' avoids that, and allows you to have an Adam centered episode every so often.

I never minded that Caan didn't want to be in every episode, but they didn't really bother to provide any logical consistency for his absence.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 1/5/2020 at 4:09 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

Yeah, I don't really know either. I'm just shooting the shit because I just watched the show.

I don't necessarily think all characters have to be in every episode of a tv show. Adam still being in 'business' avoids that, and allows you to have an Adam centered episode every so often.

I never minded that Caan didn't want to be in every episode, but they didn't really bother to provide any logical consistency for his absence.

Regarding the bolded: No they didn’t, which bugs me. But at least every so often they say he’s off doing something with 1 or both of his kids (usually), like scouting colleges with Gracie, which I like. Or if Danny was wounded in the previous ep, they might say he’s off recovering from that. But they still don’t do it every week he’s written out, which I think they should.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add comments.

It could be something simple to explain a team member's absence given the speed of the average 5-0 case being closed. Given the large size of the task force even with Adam gone AWOL the missing officer could have simply have been the night duty officer the day before on stand by in case something happened

I just watched this and the 5-0 episode was okay, but I loved the Magnum half of it. I'm a little confused as to how Erin Fong knew to stage the fake CIA search at her house at the exact moment that Magnum et al. were driving up, but whatever.

Katsumoto: Sounded like a quid pro quo to me.
Kamekona: I don't know Latin.
TC [side-eyeing hard]: And yet you know that phrase is Latin.

The rivalry between Kamekona and TC was fun; I'd forgotten that Kamekona also has a helicopter charter service.

I'm a Tani and Junior shipper so I see tons of chemistry between them. I don't think the "will they or won't they" has been particularly drawn out; they were just colleagues their first season, which developed into a natural friendship. We didn't really see much of the romantic spark until they went to Tani's friend's wedding. In this episode, I was a little teary when she found him in the warehouse (as an aside, since he had a bag over his head until the end, I was thinking, did Beulah Koale even need to show up for this? They could put anyone in there and dub his voice in), but I was glad there was no big romantic first kiss since that would have been (a) cheesy and (b) happening on the wrong show. There must be some people who like Tani and Junior together and who aren't watching Magnum so they would have been cheated out of that development. This is the last episode I've seen so far and the rest of the season is still on my DVR (no idea when I'll get to it), so if anyone is still reading this thread, please don't spoil me for what's coming up with them.

• Love 1