Type keyword(s) to search

Central City Citizen: The New Media Thread

Trisha
  • Start Topic

I find myself torn between thinking the tweets are gross, and getting reminded of the similar James Gunn situation, which was itself brought up in bad faith.

I'm not saying this is being done in bad faith, but the sheer length of time that needed to travel back through to find something incriminating makes me think if he truly felt the way the tweets implied at one point, he either matured and doesn't, anymore.... or got better at hiding it, I dunno.

And also, looking through the replies of the show runner's tweet on the matter, there is an astonishingly large number of people calling for Caitlin's actress to be fired, which is something I have zero understanding about. I realize I haven't really been able to watch to show as often as I used to the past few years, but did something happen?

• Love 4
(edited)
33 minutes ago, Last Time Lord said:

I'm not saying this is being done in bad faith, but the sheer length of time that needed to travel back through to find something incriminating makes me think if he truly felt the way the tweets implied at one point, he either matured and doesn't, anymore.... or got better at hiding it, I dunno.

So, from what I gather, this started when someone tweeted to Hartley asking him to support Black Lives Matter or to at least speak against racial injustice. His response was something about his support for dogs. Now, I haven't read the actual tweets, but that response might have led to the search for instances of Hartley's past support for other BLM or social justice issues. That's how the tweets were found.  I'll update if I find more info.

So, Hartley's response may have implied that his support for dogs was more important to him than support for actual humans. Therefore, it's not hard to believe Hartley hasn't grown as much as he'd like us to believe.

Edited by adora721
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
25 minutes ago, Last Time Lord said:

And also, looking through the replies of the show runner's tweet on the matter, there is an astonishingly large number of people calling for Caitlin's actress to be fired, which is something I have zero understanding about. I realize I haven't really been able to watch to show as often as I used to the past few years, but did something happen?

Yes and no? Not one recent thing, but there are some fans who want her off the show because of microagressions against Candice Patton.

1 minute ago, Trini said:

Yes and no? Not one recent thing, but there are some fans who want her off the show because of microagressions against Candice Patton.

Smile, nod and slowly back away towards the exit, then.

Got it.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Natalie Dreyfuss was never going to get upped to series regular. In one of his interviews Wallace said that Brandon and Kayla were the only two new series regulars but that didn't mean we weren't going to see more of Sue. I don't know what Hartley's firing means for Natalie but they are not obligated to find ways to keep her around because a series regular contract was never in the cards for her. But they can always recast the Ralph role and continue the Sue storyline. I guess we'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

As disturbing as Hartley's tweets were, I am actually surprised they got him fired. The DP detractors are wasting their time though. Those microaggressions are apparent to anyone who cares to see them for what they are but there's no real damning evidence unless Candice talks. And even then there's no guarantee anyone would believe her. Too many people think Danielle was just being overly ambitious. They see her blatant erasure of Candice's position as the leading lady and main love interest as her being opportunistic at worst and "doing her job" at best.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Starry said:

As disturbing as Hartley's tweets were, I am actually surprised they got him fired. The DP detractors are wasting their time though.

Hartley's tweets were found at the worst moment in recent history possible, especially after Warner Media, CW TV, and Warner TV tweeted support for BLM. They all stated they would try to do better when it comes to racial injustice. Finding those tweets in light of these statements put Warner in a bind to follow through on their word to do better; hence, Hartley was fired.

Agreed that DP will not be fired because covert racism is very hard to prove. The only thing I think is that DP's contract won't be extended or renewed for S8 or beyond since CW's contractual obligation to her (and the others) ends at S7. 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Starry said:

Natalie Dreyfuss was never going to get upped to series regular.

I wouldn't say "never"; I think it would have been a possibility in Season 7, depending on where they wanted to go with Sue and Ralph (and maybe depending on if other cast members were leaving). But it's definitely a lot less likely now.

(edited)

The tweets were originally uncovered at the height of #metoo but nothing was done. They resurfaced now and got him fired. Which is one of the reasons I'm cynical that they fired him now. They want to be seen as doing something about racism (and misogyny) as they said they would but this season unlike in S4&5 he had nothing to do so he was far easier to let go now than then. 

I thought ND would eventually  get upped to keep her around because the love story was the only thing they were interested in with Ralph and that's no good if she suddenly gets a better offer elsewhere. Now baring recasting she'll probably go, maybe after finishing Ralph's story with a suddenly shapeshifted version and maybe Blackhole. There's no particular reason to keep her around once that's done unless they desperately want to use her at Team Citizen. 

With DP I haven't seen a lot of her SM in the last few years but what I did always seemed to be a lot of the unfortunately very common snide/sly nastiness of actors who were jealous of their co-star's role and trying to make it theirs and so I was one that saw that as her big primary motivation, but I bow down to those who have seen more of her SM and know and experience a lot more of microaggression than me. 

As for whether they'll want to renew her contract? Who knows, both KF and Caitlin are more than played out at this point and she also might decide it's too much with a baby. However like KC on Arrow I have a feeling she's going to be one of the last ones out the door one way or another. We also don't know how much of her attitude actually shows up behind the scenes and with the people in charge. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 5
36 minutes ago, adora721 said:

The only thing I think is that DP's contract won't be extended or renewed for S8 or beyond since CW's contractual obligation to her (and the others) ends at S7. 

I think DP is still in very good standing with TPTB, so I honestly think this depends largely on how DP feels about still working on the show. Her seemingly tense relationship with CP and CP being more out-spoken about her treatment on the set and within the fandom might make DP want to leave or work less on the show. 

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, SevenStars said:

I think DP is still in very good standing with TPTB, so I honestly think this depends largely on how DP feels about still working on the show. Her seemingly tense relationship with CP and CP being more out-spoken about her treatment on the set and within the fandom might make DP want to leave or work less on the show. 

It also depends on how willing TPTB are to believe in Candice's words about the racial microaggressions in this time of heightened awareness of racial injustice. Again, the entire WB sent tweets saying they are going to improve themselves.

AJK was in great standing with TPTB and had a very long history with Greg Berlanti, but the Me Too movement is what finally caused TPTB to listen and push AJK out. Now, with the strength of the BLM movement, there may be enough pressure to make Candice (and other POC stars) more comfortable on set. This doesn't mean to fire people unjustly.

By not renewing DP's contract after S7, CW is not subject to litigation or even bad PR since CW will have fulfilled its legal obligation to DP. DP also gets to save face since it's not a firing, and she might say something about wanting to focus on her new baby, family, have shorter work days, etc.  Alternatively, CW can transfer her to "Stargirl" or "Batwoman" with a new contract there. 

Edited by adora721
  • Love 3
40 minutes ago, adora721 said:

It also depends on how willing TPTB are to believe in Candice's words about the racial microaggressions in this time of heightened awareness of racial injustice. Again, the entire WB sent tweets saying they are going to improve themselves.

AJK was in great standing with TPTB and had a very long history with Greg Berlanti, but the Me Too movement is what finally caused TPTB to listen and push AJK out. Now, with the strength of the BLM movement, there may be enough pressure to make Candice (and other POC stars) more comfortable on set. This doesn't mean to fire people unjustly.

By not renewing DP's contract after S7, CW is not subject to litigation or even bad PR since CW will have fulfilled its legal obligation to DP. DP also gets to save face since it's not a firing, and she might say something about wanting to focus on her new baby, family, have shorter work days, etc.  Alternatively, CW can transfer her to "Stargirl" or "Batwoman" with a new contract there. 

All of this is true, either way, CP is going to get the blame, just like DP fans & others are blaming her for HS getting fired. Even thought GG, Dani, and EW are the one who spoke against HS and CP stayed silent, she is the one getting trash in his name. 

• Love 1
(edited)
12 minutes ago, SevenStars said:

All of this is true, either way, CP is going to get the blame

CP getting the blame has been going on for six years. That's not new territory for CP.

I'm thinking CP's mental health will improve when she doesn't have to spend sixteen-hour days on a set where she deals with microaggressions 5-7 days a week. Like CP said in her Instagram post, the microaggressions are "maddening" and "traumatizing".

CP seems to be able to handle herself online with belligerent fans. Covert aggression is far more difficult because you can't push back against it as easily and no one is supporting you either. 

All I know is the answer is not to keep the status quo to "protect" CP from blame. The status quo is the problem.

Edited by adora721
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Featherhat said:

As for whether they'll want to renew her contract? Who knows, both KF and Caitlin are more than played out at this point and she also might decide it's too much with a baby. However like KC on Arrow I have a feeling she's going to be one of the last ones out the door one way or another. We also don't know how much of her attitude actually shows up behind the scenes and with the people in charge. 

3 hours ago, SevenStars said:

If she leaves, it'll be her decision. She will milk this gig as long as she can (not knocking her hustle), and the TPTB have long been willing to write irrelevant subplots for her characters. We'll see if changes behind the scenes and a baby changes anything.

• Love 1
(edited)

The original core stars are on a seven year contract.  After S7, that contract ends their time with the show - period. The choice to renew is up to TPTB if they want to continue the show. Notice that the CW  is looking to change the main character of "Batwoman", so assuming that any actor/actress is in ultimate control doesn't seem valid.

If TPTB want to continue with this version of the show, then of course, Grant is absolutely necessary since he's the lead of the entire show. However, CP is the female lead and will likely have an offer to renew. Everyone else is not guaranteed a renewal.

Edited by adora721
5 hours ago, Trini said:

I wouldn't say "never"; I think it would have been a possibility in Season 7, depending on where they wanted to go with Sue and Ralph (and maybe depending on if other cast members were leaving). But it's definitely a lot less likely now.

I meant that she wasn't getting a series regular contract for season 7. Wallace gave an interview after the finale and they asked him about it and he said that the only people getting upped to series regulars for season 7 were Brandon and Kayla.

4 hours ago, Featherhat said:

The tweets were originally uncovered at the height of #metoo but nothing was done. They resurfaced now and got him fired.

So people knew about the tweets around the time Kreisberg was fired and did nothing about it? I didn't know that. The first time I saw those tweets was one week ago. And Ralph's brand of "humor" was the worst in season 4. I guess he and Hartley aren't that different.

4 hours ago, Featherhat said:

With DP I haven't seen a lot of her SM in the last few years but what I did always seemed to be a lot of the unfortunately very common snide/sly nastiness of actors who were jealous of their co-star's role and trying to make it theirs and so I was one that saw that as her big primary motivation, but I bow down to those who have seen more of her SM and know and experience a lot more of microaggression than me.

That's exactly what it looks like but I think it comes off as especially gross when your coworker is a part of a marginalized group and is getting abused because of it. It's petty and unprofessional when white actresses do that to other white actresses but when you're a white woman and your coworker is in a more vulnerable position and actual racists are going after her you should know better than to use your white privilege for a come-up.

But that's not a DP problem only because clearly TPTB (Kreisberg especially) saw nothing wrong with it and in some cases blurred the lines and encouraged the ship wars themselves.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Starry said:

So people knew about the tweets around the time Kreisberg was fired and did nothing about it? I didn't know that. The first time I saw those tweets was one week ago. And Ralph's brand of "humor" was the worst in season 4. I guess he and Hartley aren't that different.

Someone first told me about them last year I think when I was talking about how I wasn't a Ralph fan due to his S4 behaviour and the obvious frustrating big white guy zero to hero arc when there were so many other characters that needed much better storylines and screentime but that I thought HS seemed a good guy and was a good actor and that obviously really changed my mind. 

It was seems to have been an internet outrage thing not long after he joined apparently and I don't think anyone from the show commented and it got (mostly) forgotten and/or glossed over until now, I admit I'd kind of forgotten the details except "asshole tweets". But someone on the production team must have known about them after the original kerfuffle. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, adora721 said:

The original core stars are on a seven year contract.  After S7, that contract ends their time with the show - period. ...

Contracts can be renewed.

... The choice to renew is up to TPTB if they want to continue the show. Notice that the CW  is looking to change the main character of "Batwoman", so assuming that any actor/actress is in ultimate control doesn't seem valid.

I never said anything about "ultimate control". I'm saying that so far there's no indication she wants to move on, and there's no indication that TPTB want to part with Caitlin/Frost, so I think if Panabaker leaves, it'll be because she decided not to sign on again. Just my take. Of course, she could get fired or not be asked back, but I think that's less likely.

• Love 1

The original core stars are on a seven year contract.  After S7, that contract ends their time with the show - period. The choice to renew is up to TPTB if they want to continue the show.

A contract means that the actor is tied into it but not the show. They can drop the actor at any time. Colin Donnell had a 7 year contract on Arrow and was dropped after one season; Susanna Thompson was dropped after 2.

The Flash producers can get rid of DP any time they want. As it seems they did with Sawyer.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

A contract means that the actor is tied into it but not the show. They can drop the actor at any time. Colin Donnell had a 7 year contract on Arrow and was dropped after one season; Susanna Thompson was dropped after 2.

The Flash producers can get rid of DP any time they want. As it seems they did with Sawyer.

Agreed. I understand that. I was making the point that the TPTB have the ultimate say in whether an actor/actress stays. DP doesn't get to demand to have her contract renewed just because she may be liked.

17 minutes ago, Trini said:

so I think if Panabaker leaves, it'll be because she decided not to sign on again. Just my take. Of course, she could get fired or not be asked back, but I think that's less likely.

It's in DP's best interest, workwise and for PR, to say that she decided not to sign on for more seasons after S7. That helps her to save face, better her position for new job opportunities, etc. In fact, I'm sure CW and DP will say it was mutual like Ruby Rose and CW said that it was a mutual decision.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

It was seems to have been an internet outrage thing not long after he joined apparently and I don't think anyone from the show commented and it got (mostly) forgotten and/or glossed over until now,

So, this was an issue before and Hartley didn't think to delete them even after that? Man, he was sure banking on not having any consequences!

Like I said, these came up (again) at the worst possible time because of the current events. Now, there was lots of external pressure for WB to put up or shut up about making things change. Of course, John Campea mentioned that Ezra Miller is also problematic, but WB has done nothing about him.

• Love 3
(edited)

Yeah any other time they would have done proper damage control and had him do an apology tour, saying how he's changed. Now though with everything going on the CW are like "Nope" and want to make this go away ASAP. Less of a headache to just recast.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Long term contracts are a way for studios to reduce salary increases if a show becomes a hit. Networks like WB and Syfy used to cancel shows after 5 seasons because renegotiating contracts would make the shows unprofitable. If you're a "nobody," the contract is favorable to the studio. You may get a payout if you're let go early. Other shows renegotiate before the contract is over as a good faith gesture to extend the future of a hit show. 

23 hours ago, adora721 said:

So, this was an issue before and Hartley didn't think to delete them even after that? Man, he was sure banking on not having any consequences!

Like I said, these came up (again) at the worst possible time because of the current events. Now, there was lots of external pressure for WB to put up or shut up about making things change. Of course, John Campea mentioned that Ezra Miller is also problematic, but WB has done nothing about him.

Do we even know the tweets weren't deleted? I'm sure they were screen capped the first time this came around. The CW had to scramble even more than other studios because they've spent the last few years committing to more diversity and it has not been smooth sailing.

• Useful 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, ketose said:

Do we even know the tweets weren't deleted? I'm sure they were screen capped the first time this came around. The CW had to scramble even more than other studios because they've spent the last few years committing to more diversity and it has not been smooth sailing.

It seems the old tweets were discovered again by or sent to actress Skai Jackson, not revived from screen shots taken years ago; see her interview on ET online.

Edited by adora721
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, ketose said:

He deleted his twitter account in May and if I remember correctly, these tweets were still on his account. People were trying to get more when he deleted his account.

• Love 2
On 6/8/2020 at 4:13 PM, shantown said:

Wow, I'm actually surprised he was fired for it. It's been awhile since they got brought up again so I assumed nothing was happening with it. Honestly, I don't mind seeing him go. Those tweets were disturbing AF. And the show doesn't need another tall lanky dark haired guy around.

A bummer if ND losing her gig is a side effect of this. (And Supergirl kind of already had their BTS cast shakeup when Mehcad Brooks left)

Mehcad left SG?! I didn't know that.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ruby24 said:

I wonder if they will recast Ralph. I actually think in his case it would be pretty easy to do considering he can shapeshift into other people. 

I don't think they will. They removed him from the header on twitter. Plus, Ralph shapeshifting to someone else makes no sense. Why would he feel the need to impersonate somebody else? Especially around the team. They would have to explain why he's in that disguise in Star Labs.

1 hour ago, BeautifulFlower said:

I don't think they will. They removed him from the header on twitter. Plus, Ralph shapeshifting to someone else makes no sense. Why would he feel the need to impersonate somebody else? Especially around the team. They would have to explain why he's in that disguise in Star Labs.

It's a comic book show, so I think if they wanted to write in why he looks different, they could make it work somehow. However, I also don't think they will recast; it will be too awkward for someone new to take over the role the Hartley had for 3 years. Although I'd support it if they tried because it would be a shame to lose Sue and not finish her arc just because her scene partner got fired.

The easiest thing would be to make him Ralph from another universe. They'd already established that the same people in different universes don't necessarily look alike. So lean into that and work with it. 

But if they use this opportunity to trim the cast and the supes, I won't object. Bonus points if they can do a twofer and get rid of Caitlin Frost at the same time.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, ruby24 said:

I wonder if they will recast Ralph. I actually think in his case it would be pretty easy to do considering he can shapeshift into other people. 

I agree. Ralph doesn't need to shapeshift; just get a new actor and carry on as if nothing happened. That's been done plenty of times before. It's not like Hartley put his stamp on the character the way Tom Cavanagh has on EoWells.

The writers and showrunners made a significant investment in addng Ralph in S4 and gave him a proper arc - albeit long, infuriating, and repetitive - from jerk to hero. In fact, I'm beginning to think that they nerfed Cisco in S5 and suddenly had him relinquishing his Vibe powers just to make Ralph Barry's number 2 instead of Cisco😡

A new actor just makes more sense than suddenly killing off Ralph or having him disappear. Plus, they also made Ralph ensconced with Killer Frost as her new enabler along with original enabler, Cisco. It would be odd and require some serious rewrites to remove Ralph now, especially with his comic love interest just coming into his life.

• Love 1

It would be odd and require some serious rewrites to remove Ralph now,

I don't think so. I mean - characters, including Ralph, have gone missing for long stretches of episodes before. (And only Killer Frost gets some big storyline and overdramatic goodbye when it happens /end saltiness) Just say he fell into a black hole or something. It's a comic book show. They had stupid-hair anti-monitor killing all the universes by making old Flash run on a treadmill. There's literally not a reason they could come up with to write him out that isn't dumber than storylines they've already written. 😂

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, adora721 said:

The writers and showrunners made a significant investment in addng Ralph in S4 and gave him a proper arc - albeit long, infuriating, and repetitive - from jerk to hero. In fact, I'm beginning to think that they nerfed Cisco in S5 and suddenly had him relinquishing his Vibe powers just to make Ralph Barry's number 2 instead of Cisco😡

More like beginning to know. It was blatant from the start that they were "whitening" out the core superheroes with this.

One thing I've learnt from US media is that racism is never a coincidence.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Trini said:

CW statement on social media policy:

I don't believe any of these words. This performative to me. They only did this because of the recent events. I would do this if they were already doing this in the beginning. Candice, Ashleigh, Vanessa, Azie, and so many other black actresses have gotten harassed and abused over the years. The Cw hasn't done anything to support or protect them. These words mean nothing. 

• Love 4

2020 Leo Award nomination for The Flash:

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
DRAMATIC SERIES

Deadly Class - Saudade

Supergirl - Crisis On Infinite Earths: Part One

Armen V. Kevorkian, Josh Spivack, Andranik Taranyan, Shirak Agresta, Marc Lougee
The Flash - King Shark Vs. Gorilla Grodd

The Terror: Infamy - Taizo

Van Helsing - Metamorphosis

• Useful 1
(edited)

Looks like this is what DC/WB is doing with their Comic Con content this year: WELCOME TO THE DC FANDOME!

Save the date and prep your cosplay!  On Saturday, August 22, starting at 10 a.m. PDT, Warner Bros. will welcome fans everywhere into the DC FanDome—a free virtual fan experience where no badge is required. 

Imagine all the Super Heroes and Super-Villains you’ve ever loved finally coming together in one place to celebrate DC’s past, present and future.  Accessible for 24 hours at DCFanDome.com, the global event will immerse fans into the DC Multiverse, with new announcements from WB Games, Film and TV, and comics, as well as an unprecedented opportunity to hear from the casts and creators behind your favorite feature films and TV series, including: Aquaman, The Batman, Batwoman, Black Adam, Black Lightning, DC Super Hero Girls, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, DC’s Stargirl, Doom Patrol, The Flash, Harley Quinn, the SnyderCut of Justice League, Lucifer, Pennyworth, SHAZAM!, The Suicide Squad, Supergirl, Superman & Lois, Teen Titans GO!, Titans, Watchmen, Young Justice: Outsiders and, coming this fall to theaters worldwide, Wonder Woman 1984.

The DC FanDome is the place to hear highly anticipated announcements and the latest news, see exclusive footage, and venture into themed worlds designed to entertain everyone from movie and TV superfans to gamers and readers, to families and kids.  With special presentations to engage fans in every time zone across the globe, you’ll have the opportunity to have an experience that’s all your own.  Inside this virtual world, fans will also get access to localized events, featuring the faces and voices from countries around the world in their local language.  No matter where you live, your age or your level of fandom, there is something for you.

(There's more in the linked press release.)

I doubt there will be much actual new content from the DCTV shows since they won't have anything filmed and ready by then. But it sounds like there might be panels with the talent and producers, and behind-the-scenes stuff.

Edited by Trini
(edited)
2 hours ago, Trini said:

Today:

I'm happy Candice is speaking up about her experience being on the show. 

It made me sad when she said that “it’s one thing to make me the female lead of your show. it’s another thing to just to leave me there all alone.” Her fans noticed this from the start and created/organized a group just to defend her/push back against the hatred/meanness/bias and racist narrative against her the minute she  was announced as Iris. This is why she never throw her fans under the bus, even when some in the media attempted to make her say something against her fans fierce support and protection of her. 

I'm sure the IWDS feel validated knowing that despite what some fans claimed, they were not seeing things.

She's lucky because base on what I have seen and experience in fandoms/show, majority of Black female characters could really use a defense squad to have their backs. 

Edited by SevenStars
  • Love 5

Anybody knows where the video for that TikTok/Essence conversation with Candice can be found? The one video I managed to find was not the whole conversation, and the rest are just short snippets.