Type keyword(s) to search

Central City Citizen: The New Media Thread

Trisha
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, Starry said:

If the plan is to shoot 22 episodes I don't think there's going to be many changes in the filming schedule. They probably expect to go back to work in the summer and wrap up by April which means it'd be business as usual for the cast and crew and the only difference is that the audience is going to see the new episodes much later. And since Flash is not going to be a part of the crossover they could in theory go back to filming in August instead of July and still complete their 22 episodes order by April.

That's assuming everything goes according to plan and there aren't any more shutdowns. In case that doesn't happen, they'll probably shorten the season instead of giving cast and crew less vacation time.

I am personally not optimistic they'll be able to shoot 22 episodes but this show has too many series regulars to have 13 episodes seasons. It's too many characters and not enough episodes.

But that's the issue. Right now, with the pandemic going on, they CANNOT possibly predict if they'll have a normal filming schedule for the year. And they already saw what happens when they couldn't film the last three episodes of the season. It really didn't help them at all, and they still don't know when they can start filming.

If the network tells shows like this one to plan for 22 episodes but then suddenly, they need to shut down again in the fall, then they CAN'T get the 22 episodes filmed. Which means, should they be off for 2 weeks or a month or even two months, they either have to cut episodes, bringing the episode count down to 18 or something anyway, or they have to pull long nights and cram filming to March/April.  Because, their plan to also start filming for season 8 after they finish filming season 7...yes, it would be good if filming went on as normal. But they SEE what happened this time. They can't predict that they'll have a normal filming schedule later this year or early next year. It's extremely risky to tell the show to plan for 22 episodes when four or five of those episodes could be thrown out. So that means that their season gets screwed anyway because then they have to rewrite/rework later on. So why not eliminate all that trouble down the road and just have less episodes NOW? 

Which is why I stand by my opinion that planning for 22 episodes is irresponsible with how things are even just right now, and what things could be like in fall/winter. It's better to be safe and plan for 18 episodes. 

Essentially, I wish I could shake the network and say "Don't get shows to plan for 22 episodes and hope for no shutdowns that will disrupt filming again; get them to plan for 18 and assume that another month long shutdown will happen at some point." Especially if production in Vancouver doesn't restart until August, in which case, their schedule is off by a month anyway and that's before any potential shutdowns in the future. Which, again, may not happen...but if it does, shows will have to scramble and change future scripts anyway. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Logan William's (young Barry Allen in S1 and S2) cause of death, "Marlyse Williams told the New York Post that according to preliminary toxicology tests, her son died of a fentanyl overdose, following his three-year battle with addiction."

NY Post article.

Edited by adora721
(edited)
4 hours ago, adora721 said:

Logan William's (young Barry Allen in S1 and S2) cause of death, "Marlyse Williams told the New York Post that according to preliminary toxicology tests, her son died of a fentanyl overdose, following his three-year battle with addiction."

NY Post article.

What? Oh my God! That’s just horrible. I wonder if that’s why they changed actors - the addiction part I mean. How tragic. So young to be addicted to drugs!

That just made me incredibly sad!

Edited by phoenics
15 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

But that's the issue. Right now, with the pandemic going on, they CANNOT possibly predict if they'll have a normal filming schedule for the year.

Trust me, I get this. When I heard that the plan was to air the new episodes in January I was sure they were going to have a shortened season. But then I read about the 22 episodes order and my speculation was the only thing that made sense to me. I doubt they want cast and crew to work on 44 episodes straight with very short breaks in-between.

We know that the season premiere ( what used to be 6x20 ) is 90% shot and with Flash not being a part of the crossover they can theoretically go back to filming in August without having to pull long nights. It may seem irresponsible because shutdowns can still happen and the situation is far from being under control but money talks. I bet money is the only reason they're willing to order 22 episodes.

And why risk doing a crossover at all? Because crossovers are money makers and even though this year event is going to be way smaller they're still going to have one.

• Love 3

'The Cast of THE FLASH to Appear on STARS IN THE HOUSE'

Seth Rudetsky and James Wesley announced today that the cast of "The Flash" will join them LIVE on "Stars In The House" on Tuesday, May 19th at 8 PM ET on the Stars In The House YouTube channel and on starsinthehouse.com. In support of The Actors Fund, Grant Gustin (Barry Allen/The Flash), Jesse L. Martin (Joe West), Danielle Panabaker (Caitlin Snow/Killer Frost), Candice Patton (Iris West-Allen), Tom Cavanagh (Harrison Wells), Carlos Valdes (Cisco Ramon/Vibe), Danielle Nicolet (Cecile Horton) and Hartley Sawyer (Ralph Dibny/Elongated Man) will share behind-the-scenes stories and discuss all that is ahead for Team Flash after the recent season six finale. Fans tuning in will be able to have their burning questions answered in real time and donate to The Actors Fund for the chance to have their names read on air. And of course, like all episodes of "Stars in the House" - there will be LIVE music!

https://www.starsinthehouse.com/

Tuesday, MAY 19

8pm ET: 

The stars of CW's hit show, The Flash, join us for a Stars In The House reunion, including Grant Gustin, Jesse L. Martin, Danielle Panabaker, Candice Patton, Tom Cavanagh, Carlos Valdes, Danielle Nicolet and Hartley Sawyer.

TVLine got some quotes from Wallace about possibly writing Danielle P. back into the next episodes since production schedules, etc. have been shifted because of the shutdowns:

TVLine on May 13 asked The Flash showrunner Eric Wallace if, in light of the aforementioned new timing, Caitlin might not ride the bench as long as planned. He said, “We’re in discussions about that right now” — though, as we suggested, it may almost be harder to write Caitlin and the superpowered Frost back in, having already written scripts that had Barry & Co. making do in her absence.

“It is tricky,” Wallace concurred. “But I think there is a happy medium which we’re going to try to accomplish. We have to see.”

“First of all, how do we shoot these episodes? How do we shoot a season finale of The Flash, which is a big show with a lot of stuff going on, given the new world that were in?,” asked Wallace. Secondly, he noted, “Cisco went off to Atlantis” (but would have been back by the finale) “and Caitlin and Frost went off to the Tannhauser arctic site…. Those stories ended in a specific way, so how do we change that, or at least deal with it now that those episodes aren’t a part of Season 6?

“We have a little bit more breathing room,” the EP added, “and I think that’s going to be fun to play with.”

• Useful 1

The Stars in the House live was fun.

I don't want DP to be in the first three episodes. Too much screen time was spent on sending her off. I wonder whose scenes are getting cut to write her back in 🙄 I am not even speaking in hypotheticals. I am sure Eric is going to find a way to bring her back in the season 7 premiere.

• Love 4
(edited)

Yeah, meanwhile on The Flash, they keep adding people and can barely get rid of anybody.

[ETA:] I hope Grant and Candice negotiate hard for perks/money for the 8th and 9th seasons the network wants.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2

Season 6 DVD + Blu-Ray release info: https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/the-flash-season-6-blu-ray-crisis-on-infinite-earths/

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has announced the release of The Flash: The Complete Sixth Season on releases the Blu-ray and DVD. The new set goes on sale on August 25th.

The set includes all 19 episodes of the sixth episode of The CW series, as well a never-before-seen “Kiss Kiss Breach Breach - Noir” episode with commentary by showrunner Eric Wallace. Other special features include The Best of DC TV’s Comic-Con Panels San Diego 2019, deleted scenes, and a gag reel.

There's also a limited-edition bonus disc featuring all five episodes of the DC Crossover Event Crisis on Infinite Earths available exclusively to fans who purchase the Blu-ray edition. The Flash: The Complete Sixth Season is priced at $39.99 SRP for the DVD ($44.98 in Canada) and $44.98 SRP for the Blu-ray ($49.99 in Canada), which includes a Digital Copy (U.S. only). The Flash: The Complete Sixth Season is also available to own on Digital.

On 5/20/2020 at 12:30 PM, Starry said:

The Stars in the House live was fun.

I don't want DP to be in the first three episodes. Too much screen time was spent on sending her off. I wonder whose scenes are getting cut to write her back in 🙄 I am not even speaking in hypotheticals. I am sure Eric is going to find a way to bring her back in the season 7 premiere.

He claimed he wasn't changing anything in the final S6 episodes, so she better stay gone.  The only reason I'm barely hanging on after that mess in e19 is because I was gonna get a CS-free zone in the 1st 3 eps.

• Love 1
(edited)

Another profile of new Flash writer, Jess Carson: 'Little Rock native dashes toward success...'

Eventually, she interviewed with Eric Wallace, the showrunner on The Flash, and was hired to write for the show as a freelancer.

"I'd been watching the show for a long time," she says. "I love it."

In March she was offered a full-time spot in the show's writer's room.

"I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but to me it is magical," Carson says. "There is a lot of teamwork, it's very collaborative, but I think the beauty of this room is the showrunner. Eric [Wallace] is one of the most brilliant people I've met."

ETA:

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

This is from two weeks ago; Grant did a short interview via video conference with E! In The Room. He talks a bit about his personal life, acting and auditioning, celebrity encounters; not really any new info about the show. Though he mentions he expects to do at least one more season after the 7th.

Listicle at TV Guide: 'The Best 50 Arrowverse Characters Ranked'

1. Barry Allen (Grant Gustin), The Flash

There are so many characters on this list that could have taken this top slot, but ultimately, Barry Allen just felt right. Through all his heroic victories and terrible missteps, Barry has never lost his unflinching ability to do what's right, no matter the personal cost. What we love most about this character though, is how deeply he loves and looks after his friends, who really, have become his family at this point. It doesn't matter if they're a quick run to Star City away, or lost out in the multiverse, if someone he loves needs his help, he'll move heaven and earth to give it to them. If we had to pick one person on this list we'd want in our corner, no matter what, it would be Barry Allen.

5. Eobard Thawne (Tom Cavanagh), The Flash

It's hard not to compare every Arrowverse villain to Eobard Thawne – aka Harrison Wells – and find them lacking, but that's just what happens when you create a villain this perfect. We hate Thawne and his evil ways just as much as Barry, and yet every time he pops back up in the Arrowverse, we let out a whoop of joy. He's just too exciting and unpredictable, and Tom Cavanagh deserves all the awards for playing this character so perfectly.

7. Iris West-Allen (Candice Patton), The Flash

If you're looking for a role model, please look no further. Like many heroes in the Arrowverse, Iris has the kind of fortitude and persistence that we can only aspire to, but what really makes her special is her tenacious pursuit of truth. If Iris is on a mission, you just know she's going to complete it, no matter what obstacles stand in her way. 

11. Cisco Ramon (Carlos Valdes), The Flash

When The Flash first introduced Cisco Ramon, it only took us about 2 minutes to realize that this character would be a fan-favorite. Cisco has always had the biggest heart (and an even bigger brain), but though all the ups and the downs, he's maintained his sense of wonder and excitement to live in a world populated by superheroes. When you combine that with his killer sense of humor, Cisco is sometimes the only thing that can us through a bad day!

14. Killer Frost (Danielle Panabaker), The Flash
19. Martin Stein (Victor Garber), The Flash / DC's Legends of Tomorrow
21. Leonard Snart (Wentworth Miller), The Flash / DC's Legends of Tomorrow
22. Joe West (Jesse L. Martin), The Flash
25. Caitlin Snow (Danielle Panabaker), The Flash
32. Wally West (Keiynan Lonsdale), The Flash
34. Harry Wells (Tom Cavanagh), The Flash
36. Nora Allen (Jessica Parker Kennedy), The Flash
38. Ralph Dibny (Hartley Sawyer), The Flash
44. Gypsy (Jessica Camacho), The Flash
48. Jesse Wells (Violett Beane), The Flash

1 hour ago, shantown said:

Super annoyed that they gave her 2 different spots on the list when no one else's alterego was listed separately from their secret identity. 

Well, it's because they've established Killer Frost as a separate person from Caitlin Snow. Not that I've ever loved that, but that's why they're considered two different people. 

• Love 1

The Flash cast continues to be the most stable. I really hope the network/studio/etc. treat them well if they want them to sign on for more seasons.

• LOL 2
On 6/3/2020 at 3:26 PM, Trini said:

The Flash cast continues to be the most stable. ...

8 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

I jinxed it!

I had heard about his tweets, but I honestly wasn't expecting him to get fired over it. (I mean, people have not been fired for worse in Hollywood.)

Well, now the show has its own awkward exit to write; at least it's not the lead, like Batwoman.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Good riddance, I say. I read some of those tweets and, as a woman, I feel sick to my stomach that anyone would write anything like that. What makes it even worse is that a man in his mid to late 20s wrote the majority of those tweets, so he should have known better.

Now, since they established that Ralph can literally shapeshift, they COULD get away with a recast. But, with how crowded the cast has been, as much as I feel bad for Natalie Dreyfuss, it would be easier to ship off Ralph and Sue. I'm not opposed to either option, at this point.

• Love 11
20 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Good riddance, I say. I read some of those tweets and, as a woman, I feel sick to my stomach that anyone would write anything like that. What makes it even worse is that a man in his mid to late 20s wrote the majority of those tweets, so he should have known better.

Now, since they established that Ralph can literally shapeshift, they COULD get away with a recast. But, with how crowded the cast has been, as much as I feel bad for Natalie Dreyfuss, it would be easier to ship off Ralph and Sue. I'm not opposed to either option, at this point.

Agree. Also the problem was that they were just not one or two tweets, they were several with the same "themes" and he didn't even think to delete them when he "learned  better" or got hire on Flash. 

I like Flash and I think HS was a good actor but I agree with TPTB decision to fire him.

• Love 5

Well, damn!  I guess I really should quit letting myself be surprised over actors turning into assholes or bigots, but I really never would have predicted that Hartley Sawyer would be one of them.  But, wow, that was some racist and sexist shit right there, and I really can't see any other option but to fire him.  Even if his apology was one of the better ones (admittedly, a low bar to overcome), his "tweets" were horrific on all kinds of levels and he has no excuse for it.

Curious to see how they will handle it.  Hopefully Sue/Natalie Dreyfuss won't get taken down by this, so maybe they'll do a recast for Ralph.  But between Legends letting Brandon Routh go, Ruby Rose quitting Batwoman, and now this, the D.C. shows are in for an interesting time coming up.  I guess we just have to wait for someone on Supergirl to suddenly leave or get canned.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, mtlchick said:

Wow, I'm actually surprised he was fired for it. It's been awhile since they got brought up again so I assumed nothing was happening with it. Honestly, I don't mind seeing him go. Those tweets were disturbing AF. And the show doesn't need another tall lanky dark haired guy around.

13 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Curious to see how they will handle it.  Hopefully Sue/Natalie Dreyfuss won't get taken down by this, so maybe they'll do a recast for Ralph.  But between Legends letting Brandon Routh go, Ruby Rose quitting Batwoman, and now this, the D.C. shows are in for an interesting time coming up.  I guess we just have to wait for someone on Supergirl to suddenly leave or get canned.

A bummer if ND losing her gig is a side effect of this. (And Supergirl kind of already had their BTS cast shakeup when Mehcad Brooks left)

• Love 4

I haven't read them personally but I remember them being described a while ago and it completely soured me on the whole "Ralph is a complete asshole but Hartley Sawyer seems like a good guy and is a good actor" thing I had going. 

Considering the rest of the recasting they have had in S6 and Ralph's shapeshifting I think there's potential for recasting but like with Batwoman where a recast makes sense they're more likely to just close the door on the character, especially as they have a lot of regulars for next season and Ralph had very little to do. Or have him shapeshift to finish off his story then leave. 

Had ND been made a regular? I thought she was still recurring. If she's still just recurring it would be easier to write her out as well. 

39 minutes ago, shantown said:

Wow, I'm actually surprised he was fired for it. It's been awhile since they got brought up again so I assumed nothing was happening with it. 

[cynicism] I guess part of it is they wanted to be seen to be doing something positive and proactive in the current charged climate and they have time to re plot things. If Ralph had been more prominent they might not have done (people who have said even worse still have high profile jobs in Hollywood) but he's only popped up once every few episodes recently.  [/cynicism] 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

Curious to see how they will handle it.  Hopefully Sue/Natalie Dreyfuss won't get taken down by this, so maybe they'll do a recast for Ralph.  ...

1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

Easiest thing to do is just recast Ralph, so that Natalie doesn't need to lose her job. They have a ton of options and all of them would be believable for the character.

Sue/Dreyfuss doesn't necessarily have to leave because of this; but she only had scenes with Ralph, and Dreyfuss was at least partially hired because she worked well with Sawyer because they were friendly. Not to mention Sue (like Ralph) isn't needed in the show overall. So I think this is more bad than good for Sue.

They could recast Ralph and have it make sense since he can change his appearance, but a) the chemistry with Dreyfuss wouldn't be the same, and b) would they bother going through with all that for a supporting character whose screentime had been decreasing anyway?

Maybe they could recast Ralph just to tie up his stories, and then Sue takes over his PI business. But would they want to keep her around (without Ralph) when she was mainly brought in to be his love interest?

36 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

Had ND been made a regular? I thought she was still recurring. If she's still just recurring it would be easier to write her out as well. 

She hasn't been announced as a regular; so yes, that's not in her favor either.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Trini said:

Maybe they could recast Ralph just to tie up his stories, and then Sue takes over his PI business. But would they want to keep her around (without Ralph) when she was mainly brought in to be his love interest?

Pretty much this. She could take over his business and join the girls at Team Citizen and if she had been announced as a regular already I could see this being tweaked, but she was there 99% to be Ralph's love interest, which is the only story they were interested in telling for him last season anyway. The main reason I assumed they'd want her as a regular was to make sure they could tell the love story.

She and Hartley did have chemistry and it seemed like the show enjoyed the "old time PI caper" they had going but it's very easy to lift out of the show considering it had only been in 2-3 episodes, albeit foreshadowed a lot beforehand. If they did recast another regular as Ralph I can see them wanting Sue but there's absolutely no guarantee they would work together. Though they probably would try to chem test.

It would be awkward if she had actually signed a contract that they were waiting to announce but considering that was wasn't upped with everyone else, the extended break and sure to be messy start of the season she may well have still been recurring. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 5

Grant made a statement re: Hartley; he reposted Wallace's statement and added his own caption:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBL1mQzFVfj/

A statement from our leader and showrunner, Eric Wallace. —
@ewrote —

I don’t have much to add because Eric’s thoughts are stated so eloquently and powerfully.
I will say I was shocked, saddened and angry when I saw the tweets. Words matter.

And Danielle Nicolet (who seemed to be good friends with Hartley) also made a statement:

---

Also an actress I'm not familiar with stood up for him on Twitter:

41 minutes ago, Trini said:

Also an actress I'm not familiar with stood up for him on Twitter:

Looks like she was on 3 episodes of LoT.

Am I shocked? Yes. Am I sad to see him go? Meh. The tweets weren't humorous in the least but they've gone this long without the tweets coming up?

I am kind of surprised that it was so quick since he's been working with these people for the past 3 years so you would think that they'd had grown to "know" him and it's possible he changed since then but...I guess not. Hopefully this leads actors in general to think before they tweet and for casting to do a deeper dive into who they are hiring. Weird that The Flash is seen as the "Happy go lucky" show but has had major revelations during both big movements (MeToo and BLM)

Hopefully he takes all of this as a way to better himself and truly see the error of his ways.

• Love 7

One thing I can never understand is how casting and the network don’t do more of a background check on the actors they hire. Especially in this day and age where everything gets dug up eventually.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

One thing I can never understand is how casting and the network don’t do more of a background check on the actors they hire. Especially in this day and age where everything gets dug up eventually.

They probably do look through social media at first,  but when auditioning hundreds of people on a television schedule and a CW budget,  it's not really possible to do a complete look through everyone's past on every social media platforms,  that keep up on popping up and increasingly becoming obsolete.  Also it's horrible to say,  but it's only in the last few years in Hollywood that content like this has started to matter. 

• Love 2

I thought they said he had deleted his twitter, so I assumed these were screen shot someone had?   Or did he still have the page and was just not active and someone went back to read all his tweets?

1 minute ago, catrice2 said:

I thought they said he had deleted his twitter, so I assumed these were screen shot someone had?   Or did he still have the page and was just not active and someone went back to read all his tweets?

He deleted Twitter after the fact,  but the screenshots were already taken and distributed all over the place. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Delphi said:

when auditioning hundreds of people on a television schedule and a CW budget,  it's not really possible to do a complete look through everyone's past on every social media platforms

Not at the audition phase but surely once you get to the final three. Well I suppose after all this they might start to.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Delphi said:

They probably do look through social media at first,  but when auditioning hundreds of people on a television schedule and a CW budget,  it's not really possible to do a complete look through everyone's past on every social media platforms,  that keep up on popping up and increasingly becoming obsolete.  Also it's horrible to say,  but it's only in the last few years in Hollywood that content like this has started to matter. 

Like said above...once you zero in on your favorites, having someone do a quick deep dive on the twitter/IG is fairly easy to do. Ill gladly take on the position if they need to create it.

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

Agreed. But here's the thing: Hartley had 3 years since he was hired to go through his own social media posts to delete the terrible tweets. The Black woman who defended him - her friendship should have also been motivation for Hartley to delete those tweets himself. 

Once his public profile started to rise with his casting on the show, it was his responsibility to scour his own public image.

• Love 3
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Like said above...once you zero in on your favorites, having someone do a quick deep dive on the twitter/IG is fairly easy to do. Ill gladly take on the position if they need to create it.

Yeah, but we've gone over this in the arrow threads,  the cw clearly doesn't care enough to do these kind of things.   They've like mastered the ability to half ass simple jobs, like making sure their EPS aren't womanizers or their cast aren't completely tone deaf bigots. 

Eta: I totally agree that he should've been smart enough to purge that stuff himself,  which means to me that either he's an idiot,  thought himself untouchable or actually bettered himself and forgot that he once said such horrible things. 

Edited by Delphi
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, Delphi said:

Eta: I totally agree that he should've been smart enough to purge that stuff himself,  which means to me that either he's an idiot,  thought himself untouchable or actually bettered himself and forgot that he once said such horrible things. 

I'm guessing he just forgot; or he still thought that "edgy" "humor" was funny so he didn't think to delete.

Every actor should purge their social media and only retweet stuff from the marketing department. The downside is starting to outweigh the upside for this kind of communication. 

• LOL 2