Type keyword(s) to search

Central City Citizen: The New Media Thread

Trisha
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Putting this here since it doesn't actually spoil any plot points not already known, but spoilering about Danielle's maternity leave just in case; Ask Ausiello:

Question: Since it looks like Episode 19 The Flash will be the final one of Season 6, do you guys know what will happen with those last three episodes? Will they be shuffled over to the next season?  —Johannes

Ausiello: According to series lead Grant Gustin, showrunner Eric Wallace “has promised — though we’re not sure how  yet — that we’re going  to wrap up all these storylines that we intended to wrap up, once we’re able to start filming again.”

Question: How will The Flash write off Danielle Panabaker for her maternity leave? —Ani

Ausiello: As hinted with this week’s episode, the stage is being set for what would have been Panabaker’s maternity leave (but now is just, well, everyone’s leave!). Before production shut down in mid-March, “We did get to that,” says Grant Gustin. “And it was interesting, too, because it was getting pretty close to not just her due date but what was safe for her to continue, so ...

Spoiler

... we had to jump ahead with just her scenes and shoot those [sooner]. So before we wrap up with 619, we will have [written] Danielle out for the season, and taken Frost somewhere else.”

---

He's got quotes from Grant, so I wonder if TVLine will have an interview coming out soon-ish?

Edited by Trini
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Trini said:

Putting this here since it doesn't actually spoil any plot points not already known, but spoilering about Danielle's maternity leave just in case; Ask Ausiello:

---

He's got quotes from Grant, so I wonder if TVLine will have an interview coming out soon-ish?

DP most have a really good contract. I hope CP take notes and send them to whoever negotiation her contracts. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, SevenStars said:

DP most have a really good contract. I hope CP take notes and send them to whoever negotiation her contracts. 

If their original contracts were for 7 years, then if there is a season 8, maybe that's when we will see CP get better stuff - although she's finally gotten more stuff this season - it just unfortunately still has issues... in my dream world, she'd be more elevated with more stories like Lois' in Lois & Clark and more of her and Barry working together on stuff.  Like - REALLY working together.

I really wonder who represents CP.  Whoever they are - I'm not sure they are fighting hard enough for her - and they really let her down in the original contracts because she was a lead in name only while DP got all the screen time.  I know that was a plot of AJK/DP's but still.  I know black women leads are in precarious positions but now CP has years worth of proof that she's a huge draw for this show, both on it and off.  They need to finally ignore the racist haters and give her her FULL due.

• Love 1

Interviews with Entertainment Tonight coming some time soon:

------

And Candice gets an mention at TV Line's Performer of the Week:

HONORABLE MENTION | We knew that The Flash‘s Mirrorverse storyline — featuring two Irises and all — would do right by Candice Patton, and her biggest showcase arrived with this week’s pivotal episode. Mirror Iris was a real piece of work, giving Bar bad advice and wickedly draining him of his powers. And yes, Patton got to be physical like never before with the husband/”wife” face-off. But it was in Mirror Iris’ introspective moments — nudged by Barry to want and be “more” — followed by her admittedly sad demise, where Patton’s performance built towards something extra-special. But wait, there is so much more! Because in the hour’s tag, as the real Iris desperately hoped to communicate with Barry another across dimensions, Patton reminded us, after a rocky spell, why “WestAllen” with their unbreakable bond represent the Gold Standard.

• Useful 1
On 5/1/2020 at 2:36 PM, SevenStars said:

I think the whole cast probably have good contracts, or they wouldn't all still be here 6 (and likely 7) seasons later. I find it surprising no one from the original cast has left* yet; which seems to be an exception for a CW show that has lasted this long. I'm expecting a couple of exits after season 7, though.

I hope that Candice can negotiate something to help the situation with the hairstylists when renegotiation time comes.

*(Not really counting Rick Cosnett, since I'm sure Eddie was always going to die in season 1.)

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/2/2020 at 6:31 PM, phoenics said:

I really wonder who represents CP.  Whoever they are - I'm not sure they are fighting hard enough for her - and they really let her down in the original contracts because she was a lead in name only while DP got all the screen time.  I know that was a plot of AJK/DP's but still.  I know black women leads are in precarious positions but now CP has years worth of proof that she's a huge draw for this show, both on it and off.  They need to finally ignore the racist haters and give her her FULL due.

I really don't know what type of contracts both ladies have. DP might well have one that stipulates she appears in every episode or close to but it's not certain. I'm not sure contracts can really dictate screentime though. 

KC was supposed to be the new Queen of the CW but quickly became leading lady in name only to a nobody Canadian dayplayer EBR from 1B of Arrow onwards and never gained it back. And she certainly has supporters at the network and her manager was as AJKs wife but there were many episodes where she had one scene and that's it or just didn't appear at all. There are rumours she got lawyers involved over becoming Black Canary (although nothing is confirmed) but she never got leading lady or her screentime back. JH got more screentime than she did in S6&7 of Arrow and she was also a newbie series regular with no pull. BR was first in the credits on LOT and a bonefide A lister at one point in his career but often had barely any screentime before being unceremoniously dumped. It's about the characters the writers find useful as props to the story or fun. 

Caitlin has been mostly MIA this season and Frost pretty useless and often in just one-two scenes whilst Iris has had a lot to do even if it has partly been highly frustrating. But I doubt CP (assuming she signs for a S8) is going to be able to guarantee screentime or influence storylines. If DP had any actual influence in that regard I think the Flash would be a lot different for Caitlin (and Barry and Iris). 

A lot of cast contract renewals for a late in the game series like this are about more money for less hours and perhaps some perks like writing or directing. 

Edited by Featherhat
spelling
  • Love 2

Honestly, for the first 2-3 seasons it seemed like Danielle and Candice were on equal grounds regarding the position they held on the show. I would even say Danielle was a step up higher in how she was treated by the show/contract. Then around season 3 Candice was put in a position that equaled her female lead status. I think it had a lot to do with Danielles connection with AJK and the network at first being careful because of the mess they had with Arrow with the original female lead with KC. 

I dont know who represented Candice as she was being casted, but honestly they should have negotiated for a better contract. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Trini said:

*(Not really counting Rick Cosnett, since I'm sure Eddie was always going to die in season 1.)

Per AJK, about killing Eddie, "This wasn’t always the plan, but it was always a possibility. "

1 hour ago, Velocity23 said:

I think it had a lot to do with Danielles connection with AJK

Exactly, and the fact that AJK's wife was DP's agent. 

On 5/2/2020 at 10:31 AM, phoenics said:

I really wonder who represents CP.  Whoever they are - I'm not sure they are fighting hard enough for her

I used to wonder the same, but now I also wonder if CP is just not that motivated. Obviously, she cares a lot about her role on the show and how it affects the future of WOC in media. However, I not sure she's that determined to do more outside of the Flash for her career except for magazine articles and stumping for Shethority from time to time. 

When asked, CP has said she doesn't have time to work on other projects because of her filming this show. However, that seems like a flimsy reason when you consider how little screen time she had in the earlier seasons when DP was being treated like the lead actress. 

With streaming services and their shows, I think that CP could squeeze in something else during hiatus, but she just doesn't want to do that for whatever reason. Brandon Routh did a guest appearance on "Blackish" in 2019, and he had like less than 5 minutes of screen time. Come on! You're telling me CP couldn't have done the same to give herself exposure on a major network like Disney-owned ABC?!

3 hours ago, Featherhat said:

KC was supposed to be the new Queen of the CW but quickly became leading lady in name only

I suspect this was because the showrunnner prefered EBR. The showrunner has a ton of influence over the writing on the show. In S2, CP has exactly 12 words in the episode that started the crossover. I suspect that was just to fulfill the contractual obligation, but then Iris wasn't shown again during the rest of the crossover of S2. However, DP was in every episode of every crossover except for the S6 crossover. Why? Different showrunner in S6.

AJK and Todd both seemed to favor DP, whether that was because of the contract or just preference, CP got the short end of the stick for a long time until things started improving a bit in S5 with Todd and now Eric.

• Love 2
(edited)

I suspect if DP has a better contract than CP it's because she was the most famous one out of the younger cast (more famous than GG in many ways) when the show started. I don't think she had much direction over Caitlin's storylines because if she did then things would be very different. And whilst it's great for her that they accommodated her pregnancy by pre filming stuff *so far* it's still been filler stuff as it has been most of the season.

EBR would not have become the leading lady of Arrow without the agreement of Peter Roth, Geoff Johns and other executives which she started getting pretty much as soon as she joined when MG was 3rd/4th in charge (Sarah Schechter being another high up) . That *would probably* not have happen if things hadn't gone so tits up with Arrow's love story and directly impacted every other Arrowverse show after that. (Even Barry/Felicity had a chem test). 

Originally I was just convolutedly pointing out you can have the best name, lawyers, managers and contract but you can't make writers give you a good storyline if they don't want to or they think of you as the perfect love interest in a side box.  I would hope CP can get some perks for herself in re negotiations but unfortunately it's unlikely to be things we'll see on screen for Iris story wise.

Edited by Featherhat

Grant Gustin interview at Entertainment Tonight: 'Grant Gustin Explains How Coronavirus Changed the Season 6 Finale and What's Next'

There's also a video.

... How are you feeling about that and where this season is going to leave off?

Grant Gustin: I mean, obviously, it's a little disappointing. The writers were working really hard towards what they had planned for 622 and it's still a good cliffhanger. I mean, thankfully our episodes generally have built-in cliffhangers -- especially as we get closer to the end of the year. I mean, I know some fans will still be disappointed, but it serves as a good cliffhanger. Everyone has a right to be a little disappointed right now, but the whole world is kind of being flipped on its head. So I think we can all accept this is the reality and sadly we just didn't get to do as many episodes as we wanted to do.

... What was your reaction when you found out that Barry was going to guess that Iris wasn't herself?

I was glad that we finally got there. I mean, It took a while to get there but, you know. There was even a scene that Barry had with Mirror Iris where, you know, Iris is a strong-willed character -- and just as strong or stronger than Barry in a lot of ways. They came head-to-head with her saying, “I am growing and I am changing as a person.” And Barry is like, “You're right and I have to love you regardless.” So, like, that was a very Iris thing still. So I think that's what I was able to use to believe that [Barry] wasn't figuring it out right away and there were all these things going on with him losing his speed, and Thawn being back.

Obviously, he loves his wife and he believes and understands that she is going to change and grow as a person. They need to be able to love each other and be there for each other regardless, so I could believe that it took him so long to figure it out -- but it was a relief when all these things started to click into place. He was kind of remembering some of these strange occurrences that happened with the pancakes, and the bottle smashing on the head, and all these heavy things and the Italian. Things really aren't that weird, but when we add them all up -- it was cool. I love the scene that Dani and I had at the West house where she comes into his mad man crime scene and we had a lot of fun with that. So yeah, it was a relief when Barry finally realized that it wasn't Iris.

We have 6 seasons under your cowl at this point. How much longer do you see yourself playing The Flash?

Listen, I may never have a job this cool again, that this many people actually tune in to watch, so I'm not gonna take it for granted. I was talking to Michael Rosenbaum the other day  and to go as many seasons as they did with Smallville, like, nobody gets to do that! That's always been something I thought would be really cool to accomplish. It's not just my decision, obviously, but it has a lot to do with the viewers, and the network, and I guess we'll just have to wait and see. But I can definitely see myself doing more than just the one [season] that I have left on this current contract. Seven [seasons] is it for most of the cast actually, but I think it would be great if we can continue after that.

• Love 1

'What's on Tonight' at AV Club:

Top pick

The Flash (The CW, 8 p.m.): Ostensibly the big story for this week’s episode of The Flash is the emergence of a new speedster (yes, another one) in Central City. But after last week’s solid “Liberation”—an episode that finally clued the real Iris (Candice Patton) into the nature of her captivity and gave the Mirror Iris (also Patton) a hell of a battle—it’s tough to care about anything but what’s happening inside all that glass. Here’s Scott Von Doviak:

The badass version of Mirror Iris resurfaces in her showdown with Barry as her arms become liquid mirror swords straight out of Terminator 2. It’s one of the more entertaining battles of the season, and Patton is clearly having a blast (Gustin maybe not so much, as Barry gets the sharp end of it a few too many times). In the end, Barry wins not with his powers but his emotions, as he convinces Mirror Iris that she has self-worth beyond being an extension of Eva and she tells him to find his real wife. Her realization is short-lived, however, as Eva quite literally shatters her to pieces.

Patton also shines as the real Iris, who finally figures out after all these weeks that she’s been Eva’s prisoner all along. Is the final scene where Barry and Iris talk to each other through the mirrors, knowing the other can’t hear but professing their eternal love of across time, space, and dimension, more than a little corny? Obviously. But Patton and Gustin both go for the big emotional moment and make it work on its own comic book terms. That’s what happens when The Flash is really working.

And yes, okay, sure, there’s a new speedster. Scott will recap it all.

On 5/4/2020 at 2:28 PM, adora721 said:

I used to wonder the same, but now I also wonder if CP is just not that motivated. Obviously, she cares a lot about her role on the show and how it affects the future of WOC in media. However, I not sure she's that determined to do more outside of the Flash for her career except for magazine articles and stumping for Shethority from time to time. 

When asked, CP has said she doesn't have time to work on other projects because of her filming this show. However, that seems like a flimsy reason when you consider how little screen time she had in the earlier seasons when DP was being treated like the lead actress. 

This is CP's first experience as a lead actress.  Considering the shenanigans happening on set with DP lurking constantly threatening to take over the lead spot and then SvS coming on in S2 and threatening the same, when would CP have been able to ever go and film something else?  Her absence would have just opened the door to losing her spot for real.

She doesn't have the same level of privilege or security that DP had - where she could go do other stuff and not have her status threatened at all.

CP HAD to constantly be there, advocating for herself and making sure she was out there.  She had to focus on her craft, etc.. and make sure she was turning in her best work.

It's kinda unfair, imo, to lay this at CP's feet - as though it doesn't take a ridiculous amount of energy just holding onto her lead role.  She doesn't really get the luxury of doing other stuff.

At this point, it's either focus on The Flash, or find a truly breakout role like Danai from TWD did with Black Panther.  Black actresses in lead spots rarely get any in-between.  Hell - look what happened to Heather Hemmons on Roswell NM - she had some other projects lined up in S1 and the showrunner literally erased all of her importance from the narrative and gave it to other characters.  Even though the character she was playing was SUPER important in the source material.  But her "schedule" was used as the showrunner's excuse for why she racebent the character and then practically erased her.

CP doing all she does to promote the show, promote representation and stay visible is smart - her doing that and people advocating for her helped her hold on to that lead spot when AJK clearly wanted to hand it off to DP.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Candice interview at E! Online: 'Candice Patton on What's Next For Barry & Iris While She's Still Stuck in the Mirror'

"It's so hard to answer these questions because we obviously weren't expecting the season to end so soon. So I don't want to give away anything revolving around when we find out when Iris gets out of the mirrorverse, so it'll be interesting. I don't even know how they plan to kind of prematurely wrap up the season. I have no idea how they make that work, but I really hope they can figure out some kind of way to satisfy the fans given this unexpected turn of events." 

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, phoenics said:

She doesn't have the same level of privilege or security that DP had - where she could go do other stuff and not have her status threatened at all.

I actually think that's why CP should have hustled more to get other short stints elsewhere or even do a major commercial spot for a major brand. Because she isn't privileged and becaue she doesn't have the same level of security as others, that's why CP should have done more. I'm not laying it all at her feet. I'm sure holding on to her spot was hard. I'm just saying having more than one iron in the fire never hurts. Now, with the quarantine, there's less opportunity to do other things even though there's now lots of time.

I've been reading a few articles in Callback Magazine; it's a new online mag focused on acting in Canada, but there are applications to the US as well. One common thread amongst the actors is constantly trying to stay busy and finding new opportunities in part because there's so much competition and because of the instability of the career until you've reached a certain level. 

I'm not blaming it all on CP. Just saying she needs to remember that there will be a life after The Flash, and she should be planting some seeds now if she wants to do more after this show is done.

Edited by adora721
  • Love 1

Wallace quote: 'The Flash Boss Breaks Down How the COVID-19 Shutdown Will Affect Season 6 Story'

... As for where that will leave the story, Wallace said a cliffhanger is definitely on the way.

"Basically what we do here on The Flash is I break every season like a movie. So every graphic novel is broken into a movie structure of Act One, Act Two, Act Three," Wallace told TV Guide. "Act One was Episode 610 to 613, Act Two is 614 to 619, and then the finale, 620 through 622 were Act Three. We shot all the way through Act Two of our movie when production was shut down. So basically, that was a good thing, considering what was happening, because the end of Act Two, like any movie, there's usually a big cliffhanger and it's usually really epic. And thankfully it looks like we're able to finish post-production, barely. As we speak, we're trying to get the shots in, but I'm cautiously optimistic we can get to the end of Act Two in our movie so that the audience, even though they might be left hanging a little bit, it's at least designed to be a break in the story."

At Bam Smack Pow: 'Heroic actor of the week: Andy Mientus'

With the spotlight firmly placed on him, the Broadway veteran wasted little time showing viewers what he was capable of, turning in a performance that was every bit as layered as it was animated. Yes, Hartley’s sassy comebacks and vicious insults were even more delicious than before, but it was Mientus’ portrayal of the character nuances that really stood out.

In all honesty, we barely knew Hartley (outside of his Pied Piper persona) and now, thanks to Mientus (and some damn good character development), it feels like we’ve known him for those past couple of years that he hasn’t been on-screen. Moreover, the actor highlighted both Hartley’s affection for Roderick and his heartbreak and guilt over what happened to him in such an endearingly authentic way, ensuring that we felt every emotion the character was going through.

Interview with Efrat Dor (Eva Muccolloch) at EW:

Episode 19, "Success Is Assured," wasn’t intended to be the season finale but due to the global pandemic shutting down production early, it now is the season 6 finale. Does this episode work as a satisfying finale?

I think so because the moment Eva leaves the mirror, [showrunner] Eric [Wallace] just wrote crazy action-packed episodes with really shocking cliffhangers. And they're all one after another bombarding you like, "Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God!" So we got lucky that episode 19 is the first [of those episodes]; there are a lot of things that are happening in that episode. It is super action-packed, it has a lot of twists and surprises, and was beautifully shot. And you get to see her suit, which is another cool revelation. And you get to see Team Flash team up and there's just a lot of stuff going on. Hopefully, fans can enjoy it as the finale and we’ll just have to wait for season 7.

https://www.etonline.com/the-flash-candice-patton-dishes-on-iris-journey-from-ace-reporter-to-mirrorverse-villain-exclusive

We have been loving this season for Iris! We've waited so long to see "ace reporter" Iris. What did that mean to you to see her build up Team Citizen and declare that this is who she is, and this is what she's going after?  

Candice Patton: It was great! As you've said, we've had many, many talks over the last six years about Iris. Her being a reporter and her really having her own agency -- not just being a wife or a member of Team Flash, but you know, following in her passion and doing what she can to help Central City in her own way. So it was really exciting for me to see that, and to see [The Flash's showrunner] Eric [Wallace] bring in two other females to join Team Citizen. Diverse females. He really had this idea of this, kind of like, Charlie's Angels–empowered Team Citizen and so I was really excited about it. We have two great actresses that joined and it's been really, really good.

Seeing you rock your naturally curly hair this season as Iris was such a highlight. Talk to me about how that moment came about, and what that meant for you to be able to show your true self on camera.

I remember Eric had mentioned it was gonna be a really, really light episode for Grant and I. We would shoot, maybe, one day, if that -- I think it was like half a day -- and the premise was we were going on a little mini-vacation. And I thought, well this would be really easy to kind of do something different, if we wanted to, in terms of hair. And if it didn't work, it was something that we could quickly kind of move past -- but it was really exciting for me and nerve wracking for me! You know, it's something we haven't done on the show.

Being a woman of color and not having a lot of access to women of color doing my hair, and doing my natural hair, was a little bit scary, but they were very patient with me, and they made me feel comfortable -- and I think it turned out great! It seemed to have a really powerful, important response, which is what I wanted. I remember Jesse [L. Martin] saying to me, "If you can't wear your hair the way it grows out of your own head, then that's a problem." So I just felt like it was really important for me before I left the show -- whenever that ends -- that we saw Iris, and saw me, in my natural hair, which I wear often when I'm not on the show.

Seeing you play Mirror Iris -- this alternate version of the character that you've been playing for the past six seasons -- has been so much fun to watch! When you were wrapping your head around crafting this new version of Iris, what did you want to get right?  

In the beginning, I was asking Eric, "How close is this version of Iris to the Iris we know and love?" And he was like, "98%." We wanted her to be believable enough that Barry would not catch on very quickly and that Team Flash wouldn't catch on. So I just wanted to build in these small, subtle nuances that the audience would see, and that maybe members of Team Flash would see that [seemed] a little off. You know, she is our Iris and there are parts of her that we know and recognize and love, but something is amiss. So I didn't want to go heavy-handed on like, "I'm a villain," but I just really wanted to build in small moments of like, yeah something's not right with her and she's not the Iris that we know and love. And just being able to play that, and being able to be a villain, like, I don't know how many opportunities I would have to do that on the show. It's been really, really fun -- everyone wants to be bad once in a while.

It was exciting to finally see that Barry did catch on and realize that she is not his wife. What was your reaction when you saw that Barry would eventually figure out the truth?

Yeah, it took a while, but I was, like everyone, relieved that he finally caught on. You know, we all want him to come save Iris. We all love Iris and want to get her out of the Mirrorverse. So, I was happy to read the script and was like, "It's finally in motion!" Everyone is finally catching on. We are gonna get her out of there.

As Iris has been stuck in the Mirrorverse, we've heard that her brain has been affected by this world. Do you think that this is something that might have long-term effects on her?  

Yeah, that's a great question, and it's something that I've been thinking about. I mean, even thinking about us being in quarantine for over a month, like, I'm going crazy. I think we're all going a little bit crazy -- so I can only imagine what it's like for Iris to be stuck in this mirror world with this sinister person, Eva McCulloch, and the damage that's gonna have on her mentally. Not to mention the ramifications of reading everything in mirror language and the long-term effects of that. And also feeling like, maybe there's some resentment that the team didn't figure it out soon enough or come get her sooner. I mean, there's so many aspects that we can play with. And how this could potentially affect Iris in the future.

As we approach episode 619, which is now The Flash's season finale, there's still so much left up in the air! A lot of Flash episodes end on a cliffhanger, so technically this one will work as a finale, but how are you feeling knowing that this sixth season is cut short?  

I mean, it's bittersweet I think for everyone. I think the writers, and the actors, and the crew, and everyone involved saw what it was going to end like and, obviously, that's the version we wanted to give to the fans who love this show. But just given the current global situation, that's impossible -- so we kind of have to do the best with what we've got. And like you said, fortunately our show, kind of, always ends on a cliffhanger. I have no idea actually how they plan to kind of tie it up with a bow -- that's thankfully something I don't have to deal with -- but it's hard. It's not how we intended it to be, but we're gonna make the best of it. And I think, hopefully, the intention is to come back and resolve the story and pick up season 7 resolving everything that's happened in season 6.

How many more seasons do you see yourself playing Iris West-Allen on The Flash?  

I don't know. That's kind of up in the air. I know I'm contracted through season 7, so I've definitely got one more in me, contractually -- but, you know, anything's fair game after that. It's just part of where the show goes, what they want it to look like, and how I feel toward the end of season 7. There's a lot that kind of goes into why a show continues and stays on the air. If Grant and the other cast members want to stay. There's a lot of things to consider.

What is still on your Iris wish list? What would you like to see from her?

I haven't really thought about that. That's a great question because I've never really thought of it coming to an end, like, I feel like it will just go forever. I mean, selfishly, I would love to relive her as a superhero. I would love to have one more, kind of, look at maybe her and Barry team up as a superhero team. I don't know. That would be something really cool to relive... Nora coming back! God, Jessica Parker Kennedy was just so great and such a great actress. She's just a lovely human being. Like, I would love to see in some way, us revisit that story, that character in a small way. You know, I'm always wanting Keiynan [Lonsdale] back, more of Jesse Martin, more of West-Allen family aspect of the show, which is the heart of the show. I think more of that is always better.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Pre-finale interview with Efrat Dor (Eva) at ComicBook.com:

... As I'm sure you're aware, Mirror Master is a decade's old character who is traditionally male, were there any specific challenges that you dealt with in crafting your female take on this character? Especially since there are some very interesting and different shifts in the way the characters origin is?

Well, I really took her at her own character, not to disrespect the legacy of the character, but I think the backstory is completely different from Evan McCulloch and so I felt she was crafted with a lot of respect to the comic book but also have her entire own backstory. So I didn't feel anything except witnessing a lot of discussion and a lot of work about that suit and how they wanted to reference it to the original suit. So there was a lot of thought going into that really, really explicit, beautiful suit. But other than that, I didn't feel anything that I needed in my acting or in the way the character was written to justify her being female. I just think it's really cool.

21 hours ago, BeautifulFlower said:

You know, I'm always wanting Keiynan [Lonsdale] back, more of Jesse Martin, more of West-Allen family aspect of the show, which is the heart of the show. I think more of that is always better.

Exactly.  

• Love 3

Interview with Natalie Dreyfuss (Sue Dearbon) at CBR:

I think perhaps the biggest surprise, at least for me, was that Sue already had her own supersuit for your debut. What was your reaction to putting on that suit for the first time?

You were surprised! [laughs] I was surprised! I was so surprised. Yeah, it's just the coolest job I've ever had, and I've done a lot of stuff. But I've never done anything like The Flash. It's just an incredible job. And the people -- that's the thing that makes it incredible, but just being able to really play in this world that's so vast and so complicated and interesting and fun, where fans love it, you really get into it. You get to put on this rubber suit and you become a different version of yourself, and it's really, really fun.

Here's the million dollar question: will you be back next season?

Well, we know The Flash. We know that anything can happen. And honestly? I don't know that much. I know that my future definitely involves Ralph and I definitely know that we are very important to each other, but how that plays out isn't necessarily what the comics are going to have done. We don't know! You know, it's The Flash. They can take this in any direction, so it's just going to be as much of an adventure for me as it is for the fans.

3 hours ago, Trini said:

It took a pandemic to get Grant to do this much press! But I get it. His beard has reached 'hobo' stage, though. Time to trim!

I mean, for someone like Grant, this is kind of the ideal way to do press. He can do it from the comforts of his own home! I don't think he's the kind of guy who loves crowds. He seems a bit more introverted, in that sense, so he probably feels more comfortable promoting with...y'know, less people around. He's pretty much the anti-Stephen Amell.

But still, loving it. I can't blame him for not trimming his beard, though. It's not out of control...yet.

• Love 2

It's also said that the network is still planning for some shows to have their full season order. So, The Flash is likely to still go with 22 episodes.

The late start of the season will not impact the size of the orders, with series still producing seasons of lengths in line of what they typically do, from 13 to 22 episodes, depending on the show. That will stretch the season to July-August (with a May “midseason”), making for a very short summer break until the CW’s 2021-22 season starts in October as usual. The final episodes from some CW shows’ current seasons, which could not be filmed because of the pandemic, will be shot and included in their next seasons, Pedowitz said. The network also is planning a smaller version of its traditional Arrowverse crossover to air in late Q1-early Q2 2021.

Which, personally, I think is a stupid idea. First off, they don't know if the pandemic will shut down production again. And also, that puts the entire cast and crew under a tight production schedule, which will mean longer work hours and, since they already say that they'll have a "short summer season" before bringing shows back for their next seasons for Fall 2021 (which also means The Flash, being their popular show), that means probably no vacation time before they jump back into prepping for season 8 (I assume they'll be renewed).

So hopefully, The CW changes their mind on having 22 episode seasons this year. They really can't afford to burn out their entire cast and crew. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Check out the blurb for next season (AKA Season 6c/7):

Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) lived a normal life as a perpetually tardy C.S.I. in the Central City Police Department. Barry's life changed forever when the S.T.A.R. Labs Particle Accelerator exploded, creating a dark-matter lightning storm that struck Barry, bestowing him with superspeed and making him the fastest man alive - The Flash.

After a thrilling cliffhanger last season which saw the new Mirror Master (Efrat Dor) victorious and still-at-large in Central City, The Flash must regroup in order to stop her and find a way to make contact with his missing wife, Iris West-Allen (Candice Patton). With help from the rest of Team Flash, which includes superheroes Caitlin Snow (Danielle Panabaker), Cisco Ramon (Carlos Valdes), Ralph Dibny (Hartley Sawyer), and Nash Wells (Tom Cavanagh), as well as the Flash's adoptive father Joe West (Jesse L. Martin), Meta-Attorney Cecile Horton (Danielle Nicolet), tough cub reporter Allegra Garcia (Kayla Compton) and brilliant tech-nerd Chester P. Runk (Brandon McKnight)... Flash will ultimately defeat Mirror Master. But in doing so, he'll also unleash an even more powerful and devastating threat on Central City: one that threatens to tear his team - and his marriage - apart.

Based on the characters from DC, THE FLASH is from Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television, with executive producers Greg Berlanti ("Arrow," "Supergirl," "Riverdale"), Eric Wallace ("Teen Wolf," "Eureka") and Sarah Schechter ("Arrow," "Supergirl," "Riverdale").

--------

Why do people love to tease about Barry & Iris breaking up?? <-- That's mostly rhetorical.

Also, have they not made a decision yet on whether Dreyfuss (Sue) or Park (Kamilla) will be regulars?

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Trini said:

Check out the blurb for next season (AKA Season 6c/7):

--------

Why do people love to tease about Barry & Iris breaking up?? <-- That's mostly rhetorical.

Also, have they not made a decision yet on whether Dreyfuss (Sue) or Park (Kamilla) will be regulars?

I don't know but I saw someone on twitter mention that the s8 villain would be

male and someone personal to both Barry and Iris.  That makes me think it's Eddie and they are finally going to do the Mercury Max storyline... which would really be something... I have this small fear they are gonna potentially make Iris go dark even though I hope not... but I hope they don't have her cheat with Eddie or something insane like that... I just don't trust Eric Wallace... and with the SB shipbaiting he's been doing ... I just feel paranoid...

I'll try to find the reference in an article.

• Useful 1
7 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

So hopefully, The CW changes their mind on having 22 episode seasons this year. They really can't afford to burn out their entire cast and crew. 

Agreed. Every show premiering Jan 2021 should have 13 episodes, and then get back on their normal filming schedules for the fall premieres. If someone tests positive for Covid they'll have to shut down for at least two weeks which would throw off the schedule anyway so why risk it? Do fewer episodes and give everyone some breathing room.

• Love 2

If the plan is to shoot 22 episodes I don't think there's going to be many changes in the filming schedule. They probably expect to go back to work in the summer and wrap up by April which means it'd be business as usual for the cast and crew and the only difference is that the audience is going to see the new episodes much later. And since Flash is not going to be a part of the crossover they could in theory go back to filming in August instead of July and still complete their 22 episodes order by April.

That's assuming everything goes according to plan and there aren't any more shutdowns. In case that doesn't happen, they'll probably shorten the season instead of giving cast and crew less vacation time.

I am personally not optimistic they'll be able to shoot 22 episodes but this show has too many series regulars to have 13 episodes seasons. It's too many characters and not enough episodes.

I hope they'll be renewed for season 8. It would suck to have season 7 be the last when there's so much uncertainty sorrounding it.

• Love 2

The crossover will be between Batwoman and Superman and Lois. Characters from the other shows will appear but the shows themselves won't dedicate episodes to the crossover.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Starry said:

The crossover will be between Batwoman and Superman and Lois. Characters from the other shows will appear but the shows themselves won't dedicate episodes to the crossover.

Keeping in mind that it's early yet, and how production is going work is still in limbo....

It would be good to have an "extra" episode - not dedicated to a crossover - on the other hand, leaving out the top show of the DC shows doesn't seem smart. Unless they really think S&L will do better than The Flash.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Trini said:

Keeping in mind that it's early yet, and how production is going work is still in limbo....

It would be good to have an "extra" episode - not dedicated to a crossover - on the other hand, leaving out the top show of the DC shows doesn't seem smart. Unless they really think S&L will do better than The Flash.

I feel like it might do as well - but it would have to pull folks from other networks to beat The Flash... so ... we will see.  It is Superman though - it's probably going to be like Lois & Clark.

3 hours ago, phoenics said:

So there is a crossover planned, but The Flash won't be in it?  I'm totally fine with that.

Me, too. I can skip it with ease. Besides, they were already making Lois seem more important instead of equal to Iris in the crossovers Lois has appeared in anyway. No offense, since I have always liked Lois Lane, but in the Arrowverse, these ladies should be treated as equals.