Type keyword(s) to search

Central City Citizen: The New Media Thread

Trisha
  • Start Topic

Grant finally did an interview! Teases and spoilers for the rest of the season: 'A Major Sacrifice — And Barry's Epiphany — Will Alter Dynamics in Final Four Episodes'

Speaking of Rag Doll, who is a bit of a fan favorite, I have to ask: What is it like witnessing Troy James “do his thing” there on-set? Because at home, we can convince ourselves there are effects being added, some clever editing….

The thing they mostly layer on top of Troy’s performance is the “breaking bones” sound effect when he is bending. But it’s not just during the takes [that he does that], he will just randomly walk toward you [backstage] in a spider crawl. [Laughs] He’s the nicest, most friendly dude, but it’s terrifying once he has that mask on and he’s bending all over the place.

Another Grant Gustin interview at EW *spoilers*:

What’s been the most the exciting challenge so far?

This season hands down it was “The Last Temptation of Barry Allen, Part 1,”  [which] Chad Lowe directed. That was some of the most fun I’ve had in years on the show, and the most nervous and scared I’ve been every day on set. I felt very precious about it, really wanted to get it right. I think visually, it turned out amazing. Our DP Brenton that episode did a great job, and Chad did a great job, and the writers gave me something unlike anything else I’ve had on the show. I was really grateful for that script.

He also mentioned that he hasn't read the season finale script yet (well, it's not the finale anymore...), which was curious to me, because I thought the main cast got those a couple episodes ahead.

Apparently tomorrow's episode got leaked, so beware if you don't want to be completely spoiled. Some people have already posted clips.

Edited by Trini

Some quotes from Hartley Sawyer at TVGuide about his subplot with Sue:

"When we last saw him in [Episode 12], he had been kind of betrayed by Sue, and it was very unexpected for him," Sawyer told TV Guide. "It left him with a lot of anger at that time and a lot of not so good feelings towards her, and I think really threw another log on the fire of this obsession of needing to find out what is she all about, what is really going on with her... I think, since we last saw him that obsession has kind of gone up another notch. But there's also a lot going on for him in terms of, I think, he's in some ways angrier with himself. 'How could I not see this coming', you know?... I think that's something that has kind of haunted him since he met Sue."

"He will get a couple of answers, and I think for every answer that he gets, he gets like two or three more questions. Some of them impact Team Flash as a whole, some of them impact just his journey as an individual character," said Sawyer. "There are certain things that we introduced in the first eight episodes of the season, pre-Crisis, that are going to come back in a way that it might seem like a small thing but it's going to blow up and be a huge, huge thing. So there's a lot of unexpected stuff that is coming there, and in terms of [Black Hole], it's a pretty apt name for the organization, because it just kind of starts to pull everything into it in ways that you don't expect."

Another (longer) Grant Gustin interview at TV Insider; this one is mostly about his personal life.

So let's talk about this return episode. We've gotten some ideas of what's going on with Eva and she keeps creating new mirror people, but how long can Barry go without realizing there's something off about this Iris?

It definitely goes longer than I think the viewers would like it. I'm sure people are screaming at Barry to open his eyes. [Laughs] And I was a little surprised how long it went too, but I think it's justified by just how much other stuff is going on. Thawne coming back and dealing with him, the Speed Force now slowly dying and Barry's speed depleting. I think he has enough distractions that we can buy that he's a little clouded right now. ...

Now, what are you doing for fun?

All kinds of things, honestly, that I never had time for. First of all, I'm working out more than I've ever worked out since The Flash started.

Well, don't get too big. They'll have to tweak the suit again!

[Laughs] You know, I've been talking to my wardrobe designer! I started on a better regimen as the season was ending and we were talking about it then, but now, if this really lasts as long as it could potentially last, like months and months, then I'm for sure going to have a hard time getting into my suit when I come back. But I think it's worth the trade-off because I've always wanted to get in a little bit better shape and the schedule has always made it hard for me to do so. And if I can stay on this routine, it definitely makes me feel happier and healthier. So I will try to stick with it. ...

He also mentions he did Michael Rosenbaum's "Inside of You" podcast; but that interview isn't out yet.

Edited by Trini
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Interview with Hartley Sawyer at CBR:

We recently learned Barry is losing his speed because of the death of the Speed Force. How will we see Ralph step up in the remaining episodes of the season?

Yeah, we are. He has grown so much since we first met him and he's really come into his own as a hero and as a man as well. So, he's there. I mean, he's there for Team Flash no matter what. Anything that Barry is unable to do, there's no doubt that -- and this is, I think, why the show has lived so long, that it's the family, it's the Flash family, and it really is a team and a family -- and so he's there to help Killer Frost, Caitlin, Cisco and everybody with anything that they may need in terms of Barry starting to lose his speed, but that's also going to impact everybody in a way.

We saw some of this in pre-"Crisis," with 6.06, the "James Bond" episode, where Elongated Man got the emblem and everything like that and was designated the protector of Central City and all that. "Crisis" kind of prepared them, I think, in ways that they didn't expect for the death of the Speed Force. It prepared them in a way for this and it deepened their relationship too, which I think is what's so special about this team and about the show is all the trials they face deepen the relationship amongst the core group.

Can you tease your favorite moment or scene from an upcoming episode?

I can tell you about 6.16! There's a few different things that were incredibly fun, but I love working with Carlos Valdez. He and I get along really well. The thing about working with Carlos that's so much fun is he'll be like, "Okay, what if I then say this?" or "What if I then do that?" and I'm like, "Yeah, then I can do this or do that," and he's like, "Yeah!" and then we start building out a bit. We'll very, very organically start putting in little bits and little gags that maybe were not scripted that end up being the thing that we carry through a couple of scenes and callbacks. ...

Interview with Natalie Dreyfuss (Sue Dearbon) at Hollywood Life, mostly about Sue and Ralph:

What is Sue up to when we find her next? 

Natalie Dreyfuss: Sue returns and you’re definitely going to find out more and more of her motives to what her overall goals are. I think the unraveling of that story is something that we get to follow along with Ralph. Who is this girl like? What is she actually doing? Because she’s definitely not just the mysterious debutante that originally we thought that she would be, so we get to see her making some strange moves here and it’s all going to sort of come out later in the season of what she actually up to.

Natalie Dreyfuss interview at Pop-Culturalist:

Fans have been patiently awaiting the arrival of your character. Did that add any pressure heading into this project?

Natalie: Yeah, definitely some nerves, wanting the fans to be excited to see Sue come to life. No one’s ever played her before, so it was nice that I didn’t have to do an impression of someone else or worry about being different from someone else’s idea of her.

I put a lot of myself into this character and had a lot of fun. That helps with the nerves of wanting it to be something special. I think the feedback that I’ve gotten on social media is that everyone is excited to see someone who feels real in that character.

The synopsis for 6.18 just came out, and it's credited to a new staff writer, Jess Carson. Notable since I know many fans have wanted a Black, female writer in the show's writers room.

• Love 1

Interview with Natalie Sharp (Sunshine) at ComicBook.com - the Flash parts:

The character Sunshine is the first truly original metahuman on the series. What was it like getting to play a character with no direct ties to the comics?

So liberating! It completely took away any pressure, and it allowed me to really have fun with it! It was very collaborative with the writers, producers, director, stunt coordinator, VFX team, hair, makeup and wardrobe team. We all came together to decide on different elements of who she is, and that was one of the coolest things about the experience!

Sunshine has a military background, making her a pretty formidable opponent even outside of her superpowers. How did you prepare for the role?

I am a very active human so there wasn’t much physical prep to add to the schedule. I actually took stage combat in college where we were trained in hand to hand combat, broadsword as well as rapier and dagger! That training was definitely helpful for all the fight choreography I had to learn.

Are you a comic book fan/were you a fan prior to appearing on The Flash?

I definitely grew up reading the Archie comics and Sabrina the Teenage Witch! I had never watched The Flash until I was auditioning for the part, and I fell in love with it! I still cannot believe I get to be in that world, working with so many legends!

You had a pretty great scene going up against Danielle Panabaker's Killer Frost. What was filming that scene like?

Well, thank you! It was so much fun! I am always down for a female standoff. That scene happened to be one of the scenes I auditioned with to get the role, so I was very comfortable with it, and so excited to get to do it for real. I am a huge fan of hers as Sky High was one of my favourite movies growing up! It was really cool (get it?) to go up against her!

What was your favorite thing about playing Sunshine?

That I have a suit! It’s like a storm trooper meets a biker... chic! I have never had an iconic costume for a character I have played for film/tv , so that was definitely something I was looking forward to! Halloween is my favourite time of year, playing dress up is something I have always loved doing! So at my wardrobe fitting, I immediately was geeking out! Putting on the suit made everything feel so real.

On 3/11/2020 at 11:27 PM, Trini said:
On 3/3/2020 at 3:01 AM, Trini said:

The Flash is nominated for a Kids Choice Award; category: 'FAVORITE FAMILY TV SHOW'. Ceremony is March 22. Voting here and on Twitter.

Show is postponed.

It's now a 'virtually produced' show, airing on Nickelodeon this weekend, Saturday, May 2.

Nickelodeon is set to premiere Nickelodeon's Kids' Choice Awards 2020: Celebrate Together, a show packed with stars, surprises and slime--and hosted by Victoria Justice (Victorious)--on Saturday, May 2, at 8 p.m. (ET/PT). With kids having cast millions of votes for their favorite celebrities, movies, games and more, this year's virtually produced show will reveal the winners through some of the most creative orange-blimp acceptances in KCA history.

Once Tv production start up once again, everything will change

Amid the novel coronavirus pandemic, when predicting the future may seem futile, there’s at least one thing Hollywood is in agreement on: When the industry is eventually able to start up production again, film and TV sets are going to look very different. Gone are the days of grazing on the communal snacks at the craft services table, inviting friends and family to pop over to the set and maybe even kissing scenes between actors — at least until a coronavirus vaccine is widely available.

In an effort to keep cast and crew safe on set — which are notably high-risk for their propensity to cram a lot of people into compact spaces — sources say that leading Hollywood content producers and unions are working to develop new industry standards to prevent the spread of COVID-19. At the forefront of those conversations are major studios including Disney and Warner Bros., unions like IATSE and the Directors Guild of America, top production facilities like Pinewood Studios and associations such as AMPTP and various film commissions. (The MPA is also said to be involved, though sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that some studios aren’t thrilled about it as they would prefer to develop protocols on their own. A spokesperson for the MPA, however, says the association is not involved in coming up with production protocols for legal and antitrust reasons.)

“There are a lot of discussions surrounding what re-entry should look like,” says California film commissioner Colleen Bell, who has been actively involved in the conversations — which have picked up pace in recent weeks. She adds that the specifics will depend heavily on the type of production, and that there’s not necessarily a one-size-fits-all approach. “There will be new production procedures and protocols that are rooted in safeguarding health, but what exactly they’ll end up being will look different for, say, a small production company compared to a large studio.”

In fact, it’s likely those more modest productions will be the first to get the green light. “What we're hearing is that when production begins to reopen, it'll be done in phases,” confirms FilmLA president Paul Audley. “And the first phase most likely will include a numbers restriction and social distancing measures, so that would mean that any film permits will only be issued for very small productions.” As for when larger productions will get to rev back up again, multiple studio and production sources say there’s hope for July-August start dates but that fall may be more realistic.

Though no official guidelines have been released by any major parties, there’s still plenty of chatter about the procedures being considered. To start, there’s the expected: Gloves and masks may need to be worn on set, with the exception of actors who obviously can’t wear them on camera. In order to protect performers, there’s been talk of two actors in close proximity, especially intimate scenes, being shot separately and then bringing it together in postproduction. "We've done split screens before, but for the next 18 months we need to figure out how to allow actors to get up close and personal,” says Neishaw Ali, president and executive producer of Toronto-based SpinVFX.

Naturally, sanitation will take priority. Everything on set will need to be cleaned and disinfected. Cameras and other high-touch equipment like props, construction materials and wardrobe are likely to have to pass through disinfecting checkpoints leading on to set. Personal cleanliness will also be paramount. State-of-the-art hand-washing stations are already being installed at Atlanta’s Pinewood Studios, a leading production facility that’s home to several big-budget features and TV shows. “I'm usually excited about a great script, but right now I'm finding that I’m excited to be coming up with hand-washing solutions,” jokes Pinewood president Frank Patterson, who is also putting together mobile sanitation stations that can be used on-location.

Of course, there will also be plenty of hand sanitizer around, which actually won’t be that new for at least one popular TV genre: hospital-set dramas. "We've had real and full hand sanitizer containers built into our sets for a few years because we're a medical show and our medical advisors call for it as a precaution each flu season," says The Good Doctor producer Shawn Williamson, who likens COVID-19’s predicted impact on production to 9/11’s overhaul of travel and airport security. “There will be similar restrictions and safety measures that come into play because of this pandemic that will impact how we work and travel going forward.”

There’s also talk of tightening up on who is allowed on set at any given time. That could mean fewer visitors getting cleared but also a moratorium on large numbers of extras. "We think it's critically important to reduce access to only those necessary to be on the lot," says Patterson. One source says there’s even been discussions about minimizing the free-flowing nature of sets by mandating badges for separate departments (e.g., set design, hair and makeup) so that crewmembers are only allowed access to the specific areas they actually need to be.

Other measures under active consideration include no longer letting crewmembers share tools (everyone would have their own set) and staggering call times and lunch breaks to avoid crowds. Craft services will have to be entirely reimagined. “You just can't go pile the food in the corner and have everyone go eat it anymore," says Patterson. Instead, meals are likely to be served individually. The possibility has even been raised of striking up a deal with Gate Gourmet, the food service company that provides airline meals, particularly since they’ve been under-utilized with the lack of flying lately.

And then there’s testing. It’s likely everyone who comes to set will need to either have their temperature taken or, better, be given a rapid antigen test — depending on availability. The idea has also been floated of carrying out pretesting for antibodies so that those who’ve already beat the virus can get what one source calls an “immunity passport.” However, recent studies suggesting that it’s possible to be reinfected with the virus have poured a bit of cold water on the idea.

One of the more complex solutions being bounced around is quarantined film sets, where cast and crew undergo regular testing, stay in designated hotels close to set and don’t return home until filming is complete. Film commissioner Bell acknowledges she’s heard the idea come up a few times. “This is a creative community, so there are a lot of creative ideas about how to try and manage this new set of circumstances,” she says.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/as-hollywood-maps-return-new-set-protocols-take-center-stage-1292071

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, Trini said:

I haven't listened/watched it yet, but Grant Gustin's episode of the Inside of You podcast is out today on various platforms:

Highlight - Grant calls Barry a dick. But it's a really good episode and I feel like I learned a lot more about him as a person. 

Don’t worry. The scripts are written. They just haven’t been shot. You will see on the other side of this pandemic, whenever we get a chance to film those episodes and put them together, you will see how all this comes together and how Barry finally gets his speed back in what I think is a really unique way ... and it allows him to obviously beat the bad guy. 

This is another problem -- I feel like he's teasing things we're not actually going to get to see (any time soon).

• Love 2

Eric Wallace interview at CBR, *spoilers* since he talks about end-of-season plans:

What we do on the show a lot, is we're a six-season show going into our seventh season. So we have eight series regulars. That's a lot to feed, narratively speaking. Plus, those people have been working for six years really hard. One of the things that I wanted to do and institute in Season 6, when I came in, was use what I call the Star Trek: Next Gen model. Sometimes it's Riker's episode, and so he shines, but maybe Worf isn't even in it. Or sometimes, it's a Worf episode and there's not much Troy going on or not much Dr. Crusher. Then sometimes it's all Dr. Crusher or it's all Troy. It doesn't mean those other characters are gone! It just means, quite frankly, a hardworking actor is getting some well-earned rest that allows us, when they do come back, to really focus in on their story.

Man, if only... there was a way to... not have so many regulars... hmmmmm.

Wallace quote at Comicbook.com that I haven't seen elsewhere:

"Yes and yes. It was extremely important for me," Wallace told ComicBook.com's Nicole Drum in a recent interview. "In fact, it was my highest priority, I would argue, to right the ship. The show's called The Flash, and I understand that it's Barry's story. However, we have such a rich cast of female characters - specifically Iris - who I've felt have been underserved. And it was a priority for me to bring them into the forefront."

"We all know the Bechdel Test," Wallace continued, referencing the media trope of two named female characters talking about something outside of a male character. "We sat in there in the writers' room, and we asked ourselves when we're coming up with storylines and theme work; 'Is it Bechdel approved?' It's something that I want to see, and it's what we're doing. So, not only was it getting Iris's Team Citizen up to speed as the show goes on, from this point on. And not probably just in season six, I mean season seven, and hopefully eight and beyond as we continue. It's a priority for me to have as many stories for Team Citizen as there are for Team Flash. Which means a balance between the human stories and the superhero stories, because that's going to help the female characters and characters of color who are female - and some that aren't female - blossom more."

He has improved the involvement of female characters; however, I think he's dropped the ball on Team Citizen, who have only worked as a team for three episodes at most for the whole season so far.

• Love 1

Also this Candice interview at TV Line: Candice Patton Breaks Down That 'Dope' Brawl, Which Led to 'The Hardest Scene I've Ever Shot'

Did [the fight] require an heretofore untapped commitment to your craft?

You know, it’s something that I rarely get to do on this show, so for me it was probably one of the funnest thing I’ve done on the show thus far, and definitely this season. I like being physical, and though I remember that at the end of the day my body was in such pain from doing all those movements over and over again, it was one of that exhausted that feels good, because I was doing something I really love doing. It was a challenge for sure, but a lot of fun.

What had been your approach to Mirror Iris versus simply playing The Evil Doppelganger?

Well, I wanted her in the beginning to appear — to the audience and also to Team Flash — as close to Iris as possible. Though obviously, the longer she was controlled by Eva, we saw the evil tendencies slip out. For me, a lot of it was in the writing. Also, I remember early on wanting her wardrobe to be different from Iris. I wanted to imagine that Mirror Iris has gone into Iris’ closet and was like, “God, she’s got all of these great clothes and she dresses like a mom now.” You see Mirror Iris almost dress like the old Iris in a way — the sassier, sexier version we knew early in the show. Once I started dressing like that, it helped me inform the character, too.

• Love 1

6.17 post-mortem interview with Candice Patton at EW:

This was a big episode for you. How did you react when you first read the script?

CANDICE PATTON: I was just shocked at first of all was a fight seeing how kind of gruesome it was. I didn't know that it would go that far with it. But I was really excited because I love fighting and choreography and the fact that we would get to see Iris had this fight with Barry, which in any other circumstance, I don't know that we'd ever get that kind of fight between the two of them. I was really stoked. I just thought this was going to be, you know, a really special episode.

What was it like to shoot that fight with Grant?

Well a lot of it was shot with our stunt doubles. So I would be fighting alongside Grant’s stunt double, he would be fighting alongside my son double just for safety, first of all. Then the shots where you see us both in one shot together, we would shoot together. It was cool to work with Grant in that way. Usually we do a lot of emotional stuff together, and so it was nice to kind of have this exchange physically that we don’t often get to do as actors on the show. So, it was really neat.

• Love 2
On 4/29/2020 at 4:03 AM, Trini said:

"Yes and yes. It was extremely important for me," Wallace told ComicBook.com's Nicole Drum in a recent interview. "In fact, it was my highest priority, I would argue, to right the ship. The show's called The Flash, and I understand that it's Barry's story. However, we have such a rich cast of female characters - specifically Iris - who I've felt have been underserved. And it was a priority for me to bring them into the forefront."

"We all know the Bechdel Test," Wallace continued, referencing the media trope of two named female characters talking about something outside of a male character. "We sat in there in the writers' room, and we asked ourselves when we're coming up with storylines and theme work; 'Is it Bechdel approved?' It's something that I want to see, and it's what we're doing. So, not only was it getting Iris's Team Citizen up to speed as the show goes on, from this point on. And not probably just in season six, I mean season seven, and hopefully eight and beyond as we continue. It's a priority for me to have as many stories for Team Citizen as there are for Team Flash. Which means a balance between the human stories and the superhero stories, because that's going to help the female characters and characters of color who are female - and some that aren't female - blossom more."

This is interesting actually and it explains why some other elements are being left out and also illustrates that Wallace is trying but he's also a little ignorant too ... of intersectionality.  WoC are often underserved in two kinds of narratives - the first is them being erased in narratives and not paid attention to.  The second is for them to not be centered as a love interest and desired.

We actually need both.  We need moments where the women can talk about stuff that doesn't revolve around a man but we also need those moments where they are loved too!

We need both dammit! LOL.

Also - about his other comments about having a lot of series regulars - funny how he never misses a chance to write for DP's Caitlin - even if it's the 50-eleventh iteration of the same tired storyline.

But we can get Iris leading alongside Barry with moments JUST for them?  Except in 1 very special episode?

Humph.

• Love 3

From that TVLine article:

I spoke with Grant last week and I asked him how Iris is going to handle the fact that it kind of took him some time to figure this out?

[Laughs] I mean, these are the brightest minds in Central City...maybe even the U.S. Would  Candice take it a little personally? Yes. Iris, I don't know. She's so forgiving and she loves Barry so much. I think she deep=down knows that her dad, Team Flash, Barry, all of them would do everything they could to try and find her and figure it out. So I don't know how much blame she can actually place on them, you know?

<image snipped>

And it was a mirror version so it wasn't like just like an imposter.

Right! And I feel like she did a great job of pretending to be Iris, even in a previous episode, using the manipulation of Barry being selfish and making these decisions by himself. She was just really good at pretending to be Iris and using the things that her and Barry know to kind of get at him. She was a master manipulator.

So - we'd mostly figured out that Iris wouldn't be upset with Barry at all - but I do love that Candace says she would be (like us!) - for not realizing it wasn't her sooner, lol.

Like someone said on twitter, Iris should be cussing errbody out when she gets out of that damn mirror, lol!

But because of how Looooooonggggg this dragged out, I do wish the show hadn't shown us Iris being snatched into the mirror or that she wasn't Iris so soon.  I feel like a couple of episodes of fake Iris being there doing stuff until we all went - hmmmm Iris seems a bit off, no? And then BAM - we find out it's not her.

I only say that because of how long it took for Barry to figure out it wasn't her.  It's been what - since Episode TEN that she's been trapped in there.  Whew.  It just went on too long.

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 1

Quote from Wallace about the show's future:

TV Guide caught up with showrunner Eric Wallace recently, and we obviously had to ask about the future of series, since it's getting up there in years for a CW show. With Arrow ending earlier this year, it would make sense that The Flash might soon follow. Wallace doesn't seem to think that's the case though!

"Oh, we've got at least 10 seasons left," Wallace joked. "I have so many stories I am dying to tell on this show. It's funny, I had a dream last night and in the dream, I might have just solved who the villain is and the entire arc for Barry, Iris, and the villain for Season 8 and dripping into Season 9. So, you know, I'm ready to go. I'll do the show as long as The CW will give me the pleasure and privilege — and Warner Bros. too — of being able to have fun playing in this sandbox."

Even though I haven't liked some of his storytelling decisions, I do like that Wallace seems to have whole seasons planned out. (I remember he was talking about the back half at the last Comic Con.) The previous couple of seasons seemed to have their beginnings and endings set, but the middle episodes were not as tight and meandered.

• Love 1