Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
pigs-in-space

Promising Young Woman (2020)

7 minutes ago, pigs-in-space said:

The trailer just dropped and I'm intrigued. I'm loving the background music.

Yes I saw this on Instagram. Looks like an amazing role for Carey Mulligan. 

• Like 3

I saw this trailer last night and am excited about it.  I feel like the premise is reductive, but there cannot be enough female revenge movies especially ones both written and directed by a woman.  

• Like 2

Cautiously optimistic about this one! Good buzz at Sundance so far, and strong rating on Rotten Tomatoes (I don't usually take RT seriously, but I will make a rare exception). And the trailer is a thing of beauty. Carey Mulligan playing against type? Timely theme? Written and directed by a woman ( the fabulous Emerald Fennell)? Badass supporting cast including Alison Brie, Connie Britton, Bo Burnham, and Adam Brody, just to name a few? If nothing else, the trailer deserves some kind of an award!

Please, please, please don't let me down, movie...

• Like 4

I was able to find the original script online so I'm horribly spoiled but yeah, I'm still looking forward to this one a lot.

• Like 1

I read an interesting twitter thread from someone who saw the movie at Sundance. It sounds like the movie is not going to be what people expected or wanted: SPOILERS AHEAD

• Useful 3

Oh wow. I'd been planning to see it, and now I have zero interest. What a tone-deaf ending.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Dancingjaneway said:

I read an interesting twitter thread from someone who saw the movie at Sundance. It sounds like the movie is not going to be what people expected or wanted: SPOILERS AHEAD

Thank you. I will not be going to see that clusterfuck. Carey Mulligan, I am so disappointed in you!

I just watched the trailer, knowing what the spoiler is and MAN is that misleading. I feel bad for people who go in there expecting what the trailer promises and getting what the movie really is. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Dancingjaneway said:

Thank you for this. I shared it on another board, and a woman thanked me for it. She's going to warn her PTSD support group, because some of the women wanted to see this.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

This WAS written by a woman, right??!!

Sadly, yes it was. It's not surprising that they made the trailers look a certain way & used the music they did. They didn't want people to see this movie for what it truly is. Misogynistic junk. I'm really hoping word gets around about this movie because I feel like this is the type of situation where it creates a domino effect and all female revenge films turn to shit like this. 

• Like 3

I think I'll stick to watching the most excellent trailer over and over again but I will stay away from the actual movie.

• Like 2

It wouldn't piss me off so much if

she didn't get murdered in order to out the rapist. WTF Joaquin the joker can get revenge and live to dance on cars and be glorified as an antihero, but Carey has to die horribly?! FUCK THAT.

• Like 6

I just think narratives in which

Spoiler

a character exacts revenge posthumously are kind of flawed, because it's too chancy. If the plan falls apart, then that means they died for nothing (plus, they're not around to do damage control), but if it goes off beautifully without a hitch... well, who cares? They're dead! They're not even alive to enjoy the well-earned carnage! So it's not rewarding to me, it falls emotionally flat. If a character (regardless of where they are on the good/evil spectrum) is on a quest for vengeance, and we the audience are supposed to root for them, I want said character to be cackling with triumph (be it at the climax or the end). If they croak before the plan truly succeeds, then what was the point?

• Like 6

I still plan to see this, although I appreciate the conversation it's sparking. I think this review might be on the nose:

With so much ambition in “Promising Young Woman,” it feels like the movie wants to have its cake and eat it, too. Not every narrative turn feels germane to the story — some appear to be there simply because they’re unexpected.

There's one thing that twitter thread doesn't bring up which was in the screenplay (again, have only read it, haven't seen the movie, so I have no idea if this was kept although my gut says they wouldn't have cut it). Major spoilers plus trigger warning for sexual assault in addition to all those in the original twitter thread.

Spoiler

According to the script Cassie finds out from Alison Brie's character that there was a video of her friend's rape that was passed around, and she gives Cassie a copy. Cassie watches it and it shows multiple witnesses watching the rape at the party, including Bo Burnham's character, whom she is dating. That's the spark that leads to the nuclear option where, in the event of her death, a video of the rape as well as details of her own murder are shared with everyone at the wedding. While she seems aware that her death is possible, it's left ambiguous as to whether it's her ultimate plan or just a contingency.

Again some of this might be tweaked slightly from the script or played different on screen. I've searched for more specific spoilers but couldn't find any beyond that Twitter thread unfortunately.

• Like 2

Yeah, I probably will still go see it too. Although now that I'm prepared for what's coming, at least I'll know when to cover my eyes.

I've already been let down by so many endings, what's one more?

• Like 1