Type keyword(s) to search

S45.E09: Scarlett Johansson/Niall Horan

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

The Macy’s commercial was hilarious.  Loved Kenan shutting the car door so that he could swear, Kate welcoming her daughter to womanhood when the girl complained of uncomfortable shoes and Chris insisting that you don’t wear jeans to church.

I went back to watch.  Kenan unwrapped a scarf on some kid, was shocked, and said "Where's my son?"  🤣

4 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I loved that when they all came out and “reappeared” after Pete brought them back, that Mikey was out there instead of Alex

You know, I don’t always love Scarlett Johansson, but I thought she was pretty funny in this episode — “Oh no, what will we do without his paycheck” actually made me laugh out loud”. I was actually surprised at how non-reactive the audience was to a lot of the jokes — not just from her, but from everyone. The Hallmark skit and the hot tub one, it was especially apparent. 

Apparently Scarlett is worth $165 million to Colin's $6 million 😧

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, Frisky Wig said:

Is it me or does Bowen Yang play pretty much the same character in every skit on every episode?

I agree, but I still find him funny. He's got great comic timing.

6 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

You know, I don’t always love Scarlett Johansson, but I thought she was pretty funny in this episode — “Oh no, what will we do without his paycheck” actually made me laugh out loud”. I was actually surprised at how non-reactive the audience was to a lot of the jokes — not just from her, but from everyone. The Hallmark skit and the hot tub one, it was especially apparent. 

I wondered if the audience skewed young for Niall Horan.

Overall, I thought it was a bad ep. The highlight was the Macy's commercial. Just perfect.

Second to that is the Hallmark dating show. I don't watch Hallmark movies, but I know the gist of them, so it was funny seeing all the tropes laid out there.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

This was the worst of the season.  What a stinker.

This most definitely wasn't my favorite episode of the season, but the Macy's commercial was so good. 

I can't wait until next week. 

• Love 3

Anyone know who played Santa in the "I saw mommy kissing Santa Claus" sketch?

For the stripper ghosts in the hot tub sketch, I liked how the strippers kept smiling so pleasantly and seemed so happy, even when they said they had to go back to hell.  Also liked the models from the choking poster, and that they were dressed the same as on the poster.

I thought they would put ScarJo in one of those Jersey salesgirl sketches, but they didn't.  They don't seem to be bringing back classic characters as much as they used to when they have repeat guests.  

I thought Colin Jost had a funny look on his face when he was on stage with Johansson, he looked like he genuinely had the butterflies for her.  Some of those place cards with her picture that they show before the show comes back from commercials, I thought her makeup in some of those were hideous.  She's naturally very attractive, there's no need to apply a trowel to her face.

Horan, I had no idea who he was, had to Google that he was in One Direction.  Thought his first song was boring, but the second one was pretty good.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, possibilities said:

In all seriousness, does anyone have a mneumonic device to remember which is Alex and which is Mikey? I always watch the opening credits carefully and try to memorize the name/face, and then I still dont know which is which once the show starts.

Alex has the longer face and a crooked mouth. Mikey has a rounder face. I don't have a mnemonic because I have never had any trouble telling the difference. Does knowing which plays Don Jr and which plays Eric help? Because both Don and Mikey start with a consonant and both Alex and Eric start with a vowel.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Scarlett is just as hot as J.Lo, if not moreso.  When we complained that J.Lo's show revolved around her being hot, the replies were that she IS hot so it makes sense.

But, I think Scarlett's episode shows how much more well rounded, and less sexist/basic/simplistic a show is without 70% of the sketches being focused on how she looks.  Real, actual writing had to be involved.  

JMO, but I don't think there's any comparison.  JLo is far more hot - and  interesting to watch, charismatic, and dynamic.   I've always thought Scarlett was over-rated, and nothing I saw last night changed my mind.  I'm not especially a JLo fan, but I thought her episode (the writing, her, everything about it) was a lot better,  Even though the whole "she's so hot" thing was overdone, I liked it a lot.   Much better than Scarlett's episode last night, which I thought was boring a lot of the time.  Mileage varies for sure, but I don't see her as anything special.

Edited by DebbieM4
changed a word for clarification
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, msrachelj said:

Terrible episode. Only the Macy's sketch was funny. 

Also, Lets compare J-Lo to Scar-Jo...Scarlett Johansen is ACTUALLY hot, does not wear 6 pounds of makeup, does not dress like an aging streetwalker, does not appear to be an A-1 narcissist. Did not have to be praised and bowed to and reminded  how HOT!!! she is during the entire show. 

This is so true.

6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Apparently Scarlett is worth $165 million to Colin's $6 million 😧

I believe they have a huge divide in “worth” but there is no way Colin is worth $6 million.  And I’m sure ScarJo is closer to like $65 million if that much.

1 hour ago, Manda317 said:

I loved the Hallmark sketch because I'm pretty sure they were parodying the exact movie I was making fun of my mom for watching a few hours earlier lol

I think the point was they're all the same  🙂

I cast my "who's hotter" vote for ScarJo, by the way.  No contest.  And unlike some here, I think she's a pretty good actress.  But I thought that the writers did both JLO and her an injustice, because for stars of their magnitude, they deserved a better written show.  But JLO's was weaker IMO.

• Love 3

I had to chose between the laughing and surprised emoji like on that one ^^^. LOL

I was reading elsewhere about Scarlett's skeeved out reaction when Pete hugged her in the monologue.  I might have to watch that again.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, peeayebee said:
On 12/15/2019 at 12:37 AM, Frisky Wig said:

Is it me or does Bowen Yang play pretty much the same character in every skit on every episode?

I agree, but I still find him funny. He's got great comic timing.

7 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think Bowen is fantastic.  Such a pleasant surprise this season.  I love him.

I'm thrilled whenever Bowen shows up in a skit, and the fact that he's been given so much screentime. He got to be the Heimlich half to the guest host--that's really awesome for someone who's not a full cast member!

As for his seemingly playing the same character, Bowen's more like Kenan to me--reliable, perfect delivery of lines and non-verbal reactions. Kenan's also pretty much Kenan in every character he's played, and I can't imagine anyone else in the cast pulling off characters like the one he played in the Firing sketch. (And the interaction between Bowen and Kenan in that skit made me LOL, mainly because it was right there on the razor's edge of going too far)

Pete Davidson was the guest cameo in the monologue. I appreciated the meta-joke with Kenan, but I hope it doesn't become an ongoing joke throughout the season.

The Hallmark skit was hysterical. I might be guilty of chaining Hallmark christmas movies this time of year, and laughing (self-consciously) about all the tropes that come up, like "Prince of Caucasia" and the dry kiss in the gazebo. Aidy was pitch-perfect as the game show host.

I'm pretty neutral about Scarjo, but I had to give her props for  doing her best in that painful last sketch with the cute pug.

Interesting that Scarjo didn't come off the way JLo did in her monologue. it was sweet that she called out Colin as the love of her life, and acknowledged that she met him on a previous stint as host of SNL. Her delivery of the line about his paycheck made me laugh.

I always like it when the musical guest shows up in a skit or two.

• Love 9

Mikey's "YOU DO IT THEN!" in the Macy's bit was the biggest laugh of the night for me. He co-wrote the bit, and his real son played his son.

ScarJo never comes off as very funny to me, but she means well. I don't get why people seem to think Colin is a douche, I see a lot of hate for him online.

Hallmark sketch was very witty, Prince of Caucasia!

I also think Bowen is fantastic, great timing and I have laughed at everything he's done.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

Mikey's "YOU DO IT THEN!" in the Macy's bit was the biggest laugh of the night for me. He co-wrote the bit, and his real son played his son.

ScarJo never comes off as very funny to me, but she means well. I don't get why people seem to think Colin is a douche, I see a lot of hate for him online.

Hallmark sketch was very witty, Prince of Caucasia!

I also think Bowen is fantastic, great timing and I have laughed at everything he's done.

Heidi:  Well maybe I'll tell my mother that we're not going this year!

Mike:  Ohhhhhh nooooooooooooooo.  What would we do without your brother getting DRUNK, and then asking us for MONEY???

• LOL 6
  • Love 8
18 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think Bowen is fantastic.  Such a pleasant surprise this season.  I love him.

I agree. Maybe it's just because it's refreshing to have an out gay guy playing out gay guys but I think he really shined this week. There are several actors on the show that repeatedly play the same type of character - I just think Bowen stands out because so many are over the top. And I think the Santa choreographer, the Chinese weekend update guy and the choking guy were all different so I don't get the criticism.

And I am in my 40s and love Niall Horan. Besides the fact he is so darn cute, I think he has a great voice. I'm rooting for him to really break out. Of course he is doing a stadium tour, so maybe that's moot.

I actually enjoyed this episode and laughed a lot. Maybe I just needed something funny, but it was one of my favorites of the season. The hot tub skit was very funny.

• Love 8

Baby Yoda super reminded me of Rob Dyrdek.

Also, Scarlett seems really vacant, like most of her brain matter got sucked out through those nostrils of hers.

Are they going to just have all the 1D guys as musical guests this season or what. 🙄

ETA: I'm happy Bowen is on this show. Also I'd have like 50% less interest in this show if/when Alex leaves.

Edited by MVFrostsMyPie
  • Love 1

Okay, this episode was my favorite monologue in a while! So many good lines:

Scarlett: "If the show’s bad, what are they gonna do? Fire my fiancé? Oh no! What are we going to do without his paycheck?"

(Alex Moffatt turns to ash)

Chris: Oh my god, Mikey!

Ego: I think that was maybe Alex.

Chris: It's the same damn thing.

(Beck turns to ash)

Beck: No! You need me! Who's going to play the dumb idioooot!

Heidi: Cecily! Thank god you're okay! I think Thanos took Pete!

Cecily: Oh no, I just think it's one of those weeks where Pete doesn't show up.

(Bowen turns to ash)

Bowen: Wow, first Asian cast member, now you're dusting me? Twitter's gonna eat you alive!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2

It was a pretty blah episode, but I laughed out loud at the joke about the Patriots only losing to teams with black quarterbacks.

And what is up with all the dogs?  The last sketch wasn't funny - it could have been if they hadn't tried to make it political.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Random nitpick: the stock image for San Francisco in the CO also made no sense. Have the writers never been to SF? It ain’t Rancho Cucamonga. 

Reminds me of the time they showed a stock photo of a three-story office building then the characters talked about being on the fifth floor.  The mind latches onto the weirdest stuff.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, VCRTracking said:

Okay, this episode was my favorite monologue in a while! So many good lines:

Scarlett: "If the show’s bad, what are they gonna do? Fire my fiancé? Oh no! What are we going to do without his paycheck?"

(Alex Moffatt turns to ash)

Chris: Oh my god, Mikey!

Ego: I think that was maybe Alex.

Chris: It's the same damn thing.

(Beck turns to ash)

Beck: No! You need me! Who's going to play the dumb idioooot!

Heidi: Cecily! Thank god you're okay! I think Thanos took Pete!

Cecily: Oh no, I just think it's one of those weeks where Pete doesn't show up.

(Bowen turns to ash)

Bowen: Wow, first Asian cast member, now you're dusting me? Twitter's gonna eat you alive!

Kyle thanking Pete for dusting Beck also made me laugh. And Colin asking Scarlett whether she even watches the Avengers movies and her reaction. (Oh, and of course the way she didn't seem at all relieved to see him when he showed up at first.) 

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
  • Love 2
On 12/15/2019 at 4:36 PM, rmontro said:

Horan, I had no idea who he was, had to Google that he was in One Direction.  Thought his first song was boring, but the second one was pretty good.

I often have a hard time connecting performers to their songs, so I had to google Horan, too. One of his songs is Slow Hands, which I love.

21 hours ago, vb68 said:

I was reading elsewhere about Scarlett's skeeved out reaction when Pete hugged her in the monologue.  I might have to watch that again.

That was a pretty hilarious, almost throw-away moment.

• Love 2

Now THAT was a damned lackluster episode, imo.  There were a couple of funny bits (the Macy's commercial, George & Kellyanne, Hallmark Christmas Dating Game) but the rest was either not funny or stupid or just plain weird.

I do like Niall Horan's music more than Harry Styles'.

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:01 PM, possibilities said:

In all seriousness, does anyone have a mneumonic device to remember which is Alex and which is Mikey? I always watch the opening credits carefully and try to memorize the name/face, and then I still dont know which is which once the show starts.

Alex is "I'm Eric" Trump.  Plus, I think he's more attractive, but that probably wouldn't help anyone else.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Random nitpick: the stock image for San Francisco in the CO also made no sense. Have the writers never been to SF? It ain’t Rancho Cucamonga. 

It was interesting reading some of the comments about this because I kept seeing people push back and insist the house did remind them of parts of San Francisco and the people who wrote articles about the house not matching needed to get out more, etc. 

On 12/17/2019 at 1:07 PM, proserpina65 said:

Alex is "I'm Eric" Trump.  Plus, I think he's more attractive, but that probably wouldn't help anyone else.

That's funny because I have the opposite opinion of their attractiveness. Though Alex is growing on me. Mikey is just too adorable and now knowing that he cowrote the Macy's ad, I love him even more. 

Speaking of the Macy's ad, I thought Bowen's tiny moment (bitchface at Aidy's stinky baby) almost stole the sketch. I howled. 

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:56 PM, lovinbob said:

That's funny because I have the opposite opinion of their attractiveness. Though Alex is growing on me. Mikey is just too adorable and now knowing that he cowrote the Macy's ad, I love him even more. 

Speaking of the Macy's ad, I thought Bowen's tiny moment (bitchface at Aidy's stinky baby) almost stole the sketch. I howled. 

Oh, Mikey's definitely cute, too.

On 12/15/2019 at 8:21 PM, SomeTameGazelle said:

Alex has the longer face and a crooked mouth. Mikey has a rounder face. I don't have a mnemonic because I have never had any trouble telling the difference. Does knowing which plays Don Jr and which plays Eric help? Because both Don and Mikey start with a consonant and both Alex and Eric start with a vowel.

Mikey is better looking so he plays Don Jr. Alex plays Eric and he is The Stupid one ! Also since Alex doesn't look as good, he plays Prince Haarry and Mikey is Prince William ! !

On 12/15/2019 at 8:49 PM, Manda317 said:

I loved the Hallmark sketch because I'm pretty sure they were parodying the exact movie I was making fun of my mom for watching a few hours earlier lol

The Hallmark sketch was a Game Show like The Dating Game ! I doubt that that Hallmark Movie had a Prince Named Caucasian ! I would say they did not have the man was nick clause, but they might do that and make it be more Special for Christmas !