Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
marinw

Watching The Expanse on Amazon

Not sure where to post this so I have started a new topic, Please be gentle with me mods!

Technical-Type question:

I’m Canadian and the Bell Overlord have not deigned the Amazon App worthy of Fibe TV, although the Netflix and You Tube apps are on offer for Fibe. In preparation for The Expanse, last night I spent a long time getting my Andriod Samsung phone on speaking terms with my not-smart 2012 Panasonic TV via a Chromecast thingy. I can also hook up my laptop with a HDMI cable, but I would rather not as that really drains the battery.

Which method results in a higher quality video? The Expanse definitely needs to be seen on the largest screen possible!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Netfoot said:
2 hours ago, marinw said:

I would rather not as that really drains the battery.

Plug it in.

I have, Thanks,

I already miss simply programming my DVR!

Edited by marinw

Amazon (and other streaming services) detects the equipment being used and attempts to provide the highest quality stream for the viewing setup. The laptop is probably going to be limited to 1080p. Depending on your phone/Chromecast/tv setup, you might be able to get 4k. So try the phone and see if that gets you 4k. Otherwise, it will be the same.

Edited by xaxat
  • Useful 1

14 minutes ago, xaxat said:

you might be able to get 4k. So try the phone and see if that gets you 4k. Otherwise, it will be the same.

One of the annoying things is that my DVR is 4K but I have to bypass the whole thing!

Edited by marinw

I just watched the first episode on Amazon prime Japan 😄
Signed up for a trial membership, had to use a lot of google translate.

Edited by Holmbo
  • Like 2

Hurray! I thought I used up my free trail, but I guess not. Got it to cast to my TV from my phone which took some doing. Will test with my laptop tonight. Thanks for all your help.

I know what I'm doing this weekend!

Plugged  the USB  from the Chromecast into the 4K DVR and cast from my phone. Looks spectacular! Worth the extra fuss. Jumping through hopes for the privilege of watching my own TV gives me a weird sense of occasion.

Edited by marinw

On 12/12/2019 at 10:51 AM, marinw said:

One of the annoying things is that my DVR is 4K but I have to bypass the whole thing!

BTW you mentioned that your TV is from 2012. Is is 4K at all? If it is not, do not worry about all 4K setup as it does not matter for your TV.

• Useful 1

33 minutes ago, TV Anonymous said:

Is is 4K at all?

Not sure, but it still has great picture quality. Thanks for all your help.