Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Monster

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

xsoft-a-sound.jpg.pagespeed.ic.UoWhSBDFC

That's a bit more like it.

OK, so there still were plenty of issues. First, it was a bit "paint-by-the-numbers", with the show going to the oldest trick in the book by putting the warlord's family in danger (although the show did make good use of it). I also wonder how an international fugitive could hide for so long in plain sight as a ride sharing driver (and thus being in the public eye).

Oh, and I'm not sure I like this story with Street. Has the character learned anything at all? I feel like the character growth he went through in S2 is all becoming undone and it really doesn't feel natural.

It's not a good sign for the show when they "undo" the changes they made to their characters because it's not that far off from simply making the characters act the way the plot needs them to. It's bad enough when any show does that, but for S.W.A.T., which was so good with its characters and their development, it's one mistake I hope they correct very soon.

Nevertheless, this episode was a winner because the main case got back to what made the show work before- great characters and great characterization. There are very few that can command a stage like Shemar Moore can but I would say guest stars Issach De Bankole and Raymond Watanga are right up there. De Bankole was brilliant as the warlord Syed Amin (a name I'm guessing is a take on real life warlord Idi Amin, who was Ugandan), as Syed and Hondo were excellent at matching wits with each other with Syed bringing out "the monster" in Hondo. Watanga, for his part, was equally excellent as Hamid, the former child soldier who tried to do to Syed's family what Syed's soldiers made him do to his.

Such a performance deserves special notice, as Watanga had to balance Hamid's craziness due to his obsession to bringing Syed to justice while also conveying the deep traumatic hurt that he's had to carry with him his entire life. It's very easy for the actor to bring out one or the other and turn the character into a caricature, but Watanga really made Hamid human, conveying both sides of him without overdoing it.

That's special skill right there, so hopefully there's bigger and better things for Watanga in his future. He's earned it.

Before I close, one last note- this will be the last SWAT until January 15. Not sure if Kenny Johnson will be back by then but he will be back soon.

• Love 1

Opening line of the next episode: "Ok, boys, you can get up now!"

Of course Marty Stu Hondo served in Somalia.

Next week, when a Chinese Space Shuttle gets hijacked, Hondo's team gets called in because of his experience and knowledge gained when he was an astronaut in the Chinese Space Program. Back when he was Chinese.

As a side story he will recover artwork stolen from the Vatican. We will see him fist-bumping His Holiness, who Hondo knows well, from back when they were cardinals together.  

(If they pile this shit any higher, I will have to use a snorkel to breathe.)

4 hours ago, Netfoot said:

To be fair, this was something the show established very early in the series. I believe Hondo mentioned it in the pilot, but "Hunted" (also in season one) also referenced it.

• Love 1

I've seen the last scene in the bar someone where else/another show. At least that scenario.

That being said I'm wondering if Street got a few friends or is working with narcotics unit to get his buddy out of trouble ie fake the robbery.  OR maybe he did screw up again.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, misstwpherecool said:

I've seen the last scene in the bar someone where else/another show. At least that scenario.

That being said I'm wondering if Street got a few friends or is working with narcotics unit to get his buddy out of trouble ie fake the robbery.  OR maybe he did screw up again.

The way he looked around after shooting the masked men makes me think he knows he's made a mess of it...though it could be an interesting fake-out he uses to justify bringing his team on to the case and he let out the sigh because he was worried how he would explain everything.

Part of me hopes it's a fake-out because it at least means that Street is using his brain or trying to and isn't just being dumb- which would be a bad revert for the character.

• Love 2
On 12/12/2019 at 1:43 PM, Danielg342 said:

To be fair, this was something the show established very early in the series. I believe Hondo mentioned it in the pilot, but "Hunted" (also in season one) also referenced it.

True. I remember when the Gulf war happened someone joked that script writers rejoiced because the Vietnam generation was starting to age out of lead roles. "You must have been a little drummer boy in Vietnam". But then the 100 hour ground war of tanks blowing through Iraqi formations didn't leave much opportunity to put grit on your infantryman character. Then came Mogadishu and Black Hawk Down. Did you know that Sergeant Fin Tutuola of SVU was a Ranger there? Ice-T having been an Army long range scout about  15 years before the battle in real life.

• Love 2
On 12/12/2019 at 12:33 PM, Netfoot said:

Opening line of the next episode: "Ok, boys, you can get up now!"

Next week, when a Chinese Space Shuttle gets hijacked, Hondo's team gets called in because of his experience and knowledge gained when he was an astronaut in the Chinese Space Program. Back when he was Chinese.

As a side story he will recover artwork stolen from the Vatican. We will see him fist-bumping His Holiness, who Hondo knows well, from back when they were cardinals together.  

(If they pile this shit any higher, I will have to use a snorkel to breathe.)

You watched CSI Miami, too? I don’t remember which scene it was in this episode, but I immediately thought Hondo had become just as ridiculous as Horatio.

Edited by Kiddvideo
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Raja said:

True. I remember when the Gulf war happened someone joked that script writers rejoiced because the Vietnam generation was starting to age out of lead roles. "You must have been a little drummer boy in Vietnam". But then the 100 hour ground war of tanks blowing through Iraqi formations didn't leave much opportunity to put grit on your infantryman character. Then came Mogadishu and Black Hawk Down. Did you know that Sergeant Fin Tutuola of SVU was a Ranger there? Ice-T having been an Army long range scout about  15 years before the battle in real life.

The 2000s have Iraq, and the Afghanistan War is still going on. I suppose writers could use Syria too, even though I don't believe U.S. combat troops there did any actual fighting. Maybe if the character is Syrian themselves.

• Love 1
On 12/12/2019 at 10:41 PM, misstwpherecool said:

I think Street called in a narcotics unit, and he had blanks in his gun.   

• Love 1
7 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I think Street called in a narcotics unit, and he had blanks in his gun.   

Or the masked men had bulletproof vests on. That would better explain why they fell down (as the vest just prevents you from being killed- it still hurts).

• Love 1

*Shallow*:

Shirtless Deac.

*Not shallow*:

How they're not sweeping the house being shot up under the rug. I think that's SO important. As long as they don't drag it out, I approve.

I've seen too many shows where kids of cops, etc., get kidnapped, and then the next week they're quipping away as if nothing ever happened.

I'm going to trust that the show wouldn't go down the same avenue with Street. I guarantee that robbery was for show, to get his brother out of the mess and for the owner to be grateful for saving his life.

Great episode. I like that the wife wised up in the end.

• Love 2

Ugh. I'm only at the very beginning of the episode, but I can't STAND Hondo's father! When he yelled at Hondo, "Am I ever going to be able to do anything right in your eyes?" I yelled back, "How about DOING something right and then we'll see?"

He's just so freaking entitled!!! That wasn't "mending fences" he was doing with Hondo's mom. That was "let me say a few halfway remorseful sentences with a hangdog look on my face and when that doesn't immediately erase thirty years' worth of pain and betrayal, I'm going to yell at you for not immediately forgiving me, as if I'M the offended party."

SO GROSS!!!!

I think this wouldn't annoy me so much if there weren't so many people like this in real life.

If the goal of this plotline is to make me actively wish for the father's death ASAP so he can be off my screen...MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

• Love 1