Type keyword(s) to search

Live In Front Of A Studio Audience - General Discussion

• Start Topic

54 minutes ago, Catgyrl said:

Kinda think Jamie is trying too hard with the George mannerisms. Like he's back on In Living Color doing an impression.

Aaaaaand he just messed up!

Oy. I'm sure Jamie can do better than this. I guess he didn't take it seriously???

42 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

Times and fashions sure make a difference - Marissa Tomei is 54 and Woody Harrelson is 57. Jean Stapleton and Carrol O'Conner were 48 and 47 when they started on All in the Family.

And plastic surgery and workout culture etc. 
Marissa Tomei did a great job with Edith's voice and walk, but I was seriously annoyed/distracted that they didn't make her dress longer to frump her up a bit.

33 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Wanda Sykes is holding her own nicely.

Wanda Sykes is a god. Period.
But <whispers>was she wearing blackface/dark makeup in All in the Family?</whispers>

34 minutes ago, greekmom said:

I was hoping for an update in the script. 

I am so glad the script was not changed. It was amazingly revealing of how little crap has changed.

10 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

I fail to see the point of re-performing an old ep of All in the Family and The Jeffersons, save for Norman Lear trying to remain relevant.

Kidding, right? So totally relevant!

• Love 22

Just my two cents, but I never cared for hardly any show that had a "out of control" studio audience, aka one that was constantly screaming, and "woo"-ing every time someone came on stage or did or said something.  Other shows that come to mind are "Married", the TGIF shows (and these Disney shows now-a-days), and the Saturday Teen NBC shows (SBTB, of course, being the most famous).   I really don't like "laugh-track" shows constantly telling me when I should laugh at something (especially when it is not funny most of the time) and these shows that have an "out of control" studio audience are even more annoying.

• Love 12

I enjoyed it.   JF and MT over did it at times but they were the funniest.  KW nailed it too

am so glad the script was not changed. It was amazingly revealing of how little crap has changed.

I read this a few times on twitter.  Personally, I think much as changed and for the better.  

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Just don't get the point of this whole exercise

It's just a celebration of the shows and characters really. It's fun.

I'm totally wondering who they would cast as Maude.

• Love 17
1 minute ago, vb68 said:
17 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

It's just a celebration of the shows and characters really. It's fun.

Maybe. I haven't read any social media or reviews, but I assumed this was Norman Lear's final words to a global society that has slipped backwards WRT equality in recent years.

• Love 16
6 minutes ago, Twilight Man said:

Just my two cents, but I never cared for hardly any show that had a "out of control" studio audience, aka one that was constantly screaming, and "woo"-ing every time someone came on stage or did or said something.  Other shows that come to mind are "Married", the TGIF shows (and these Disney shows now-a-days), and the Saturday Teen NBC shows (SBTB, of course, being the most famous).   I really don't like "laugh-track" shows constantly telling me when I should laugh at something (especially when it is not funny most of the time) and these shows that have an "out of control" studio audience are even more annoying.

I second this.  I can still remember watching old sitcoms and some of those Disney shows with my daughter when she was younger, hearing the audience just completely losing their shit, and thinking, "Good God, what am I missing here?!"  I like a nice laugh as much as the next person and I have a hearty sense of humor, but wow.  So over-the-top and off-putting.

• Love 6

I was sucked in. It was a lot of nostalgia and a little bit of camp, and that made for fun watching. I thought Woody nailed it. Sure, the accent was strong, but so was Archie's. We were just used to Archie's. Carol O'Connor was an expert at face-acting, with the side-eyes, pained expressions, and exasperated head tilts. And I think Woody did a good job with the mannerisms. Jamie Foxx played it up a bit, but I didn't mind it. He was giving me flashbacks of Sherman Hemsley shifting his weight from one foot to the other. As I watched, I thought about how younger people are probably not getting how significant and special the original shows were/are. 

It might be fun to see them do this with Newhart -- either of his series. And WKRP in Cincinnati. 

• Love 15
(edited)
12 hours ago, Catgyrl said:

She's killing it. Actually everyone else was great, except Woody. He's pretty bad. I agree he's trying too hard with the accent.

Kinda think Jamie is trying too hard with the George mannerisms. Like he's back on In Living Color doing an impression.

Aaaaaand he just messed up!

Marisa was a wonderful surprise! Both she and Woody killed it with the opening credit song! And when she hit that high pitch/screech, just like the wonderful Jean Stapleton!

And I actually thought that she, Woody, Jamie, Kerry, and Wanda were the best and closest. Even though Jamie messed up.

Ellie was terrible as Gloria--she didn't have the whiny nasal sound that Struthers was really good at. Ike what'shis face was just not Mike/Meathead. Even the 'stache is WRONG. And the guy who played Bently? Where was the English accent?  Will should have done what Jamie did--worn a half bald cap because Tom had a half balding head.

I laughed as I remember watching this celebration. And now I know why I thought Henry was George when he was on in the pilot of All in the Family! And seeing Marla had me clapping and cheering! Now I have a hankering to watch the originals!

11 hours ago, greekmom said:

I'm shocked. They bleeped out the n word.

That was in the original showing.

So was I. If, as Kimmel said they were doing the original scripts, then have the guts to do the original scripts. The original shows aired before 9 p.m.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Missed seeing most of this. Anyone know if it's on via On Demand or on ABC's site? I've found it on ABC HD on Directv, but I don't get that channel. 😔

Normally, they show up on the regular network website 24 hours after airing.

• Useful 1
1 minute ago, zillabreeze said:

Normally, they show up on the regular network website 24 hours after airing.

Thanks! Here's to hoping the put it up there. 🙂 What I did see was nice. Thought that everyone did pretty well.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, callie lee 29 said:

I'm not. There's no way in hell that word is getting by the FCC at 9pm on Wednesday. 

The FCC isn't policing whether someone says a racial slur on network television.  They look for things like graphic sexual situations and cussing.  The bleeping is coming from the network.   

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

The FCC isn't policing whether someone says a racial slur on network television.  They look for things like graphic sexual situations and cussing.  The bleeping is coming from the network.   

Right, but the network would likely be on the hook to the FCC for racial slurs, etc. if they went through. Yes, these scripts were from decades ago. But acceptance of certain words evolves. This, I think, was the case here.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

Didn't they have a wig budget? Those wigs are just awful. 

It looked, to me, like Marisa Tomei had a curler in her hair over her forehead in the scene taking place during breakfast. Whether or not that was on purpose, somehow, or forgotten I don’t know yet.

41 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

It looked, to me, like Marisa Tomei had a curler in her hair over her forehead in the scene taking place during breakfast. Whether or not that was on purpose, somehow, or forgotten I don’t know yet.

I remember Edith occasionally wearing a single curler in the front.  During the party scene, you could see her bangs were one smooth, perfect curl. 

• Love 8
(edited)

That was just plain fun.  I'm not a die-hard fan of either show, but I enjoyed both during their original runs as a kid, and even more when watching sporadically in syndication over the years since (understanding so much more as an adult), and this production flat-out made me happy.  (At least what I saw -- I unfortunately forgot and missed All in the Family and only saw The Jeffersons, so I'll have to hunt the former down online.)  Norman Lear created terrific television, both meaningful and entertaining, and it was nice to see a new generation of actors pay honor, and illuminate what has changed, and how much hasn't.

In another thread, someone said Justina Machado would be playing Florence, which, while puzzling me since that character being a black woman isn't merely incidental, excited me as I really like the actor, but when Marla Gibbs turned up on the other side of that door, I forgot all about the Machado rumor -- how great to see Gibbs again. 

I also liked the behind-the-scenes glimpses as they went to break.

This was a really cool experiment; I haven't been truly tickled by television in a while, but this did it.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 20

Who would have thought Marissa Tomei would have made such a good Edith?

I enjoyed this, but I'm not sure quite what to say about it.  Obviously these shows are very much a product of that particular time, and it shows.  It's interesting that if anything, they may be more shocking now than they were then.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, vb68 said:

Wonder what happened to Justina Machado, who was announced as being cast as Florence.

Given her relationship with Norman it wouldn’t surprise me if that was an intentional misdirect so everyone would be surprised by Marla.

3 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Who would have thought Marissa Tomei would have made such a good Edith?

A lot of people who follow her work she is a fantastic actress. 

• Love 11
10 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

Times and fashions sure make a difference - Marissa Tomei is 54 and Woody Harrelson is 57. Jean Stapleton and Carrol O'Conner were 48 and 47 when they started on All in the Family.

Gee, and here I was thinking that Woody and Marissa seemed too young for the parts!

Marissa and Wanda were great. Very nice to see Marla Gibbs.

Woody was the only one I didn't feel it from, otherwise it was not bad.

• Love 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Right, but the network would likely be on the hook to the FCC for racial slurs, etc. if they went through. Yes, these scripts were from decades ago. But acceptance of certain words evolves. This, I think, was the case here.

My understanding is the FCC cites a broadcast network when a show airs that contains obscene language (like the "F" word) and graphic references to sexual situations.  While racial slurs are offensive, that is not the same thing as a racial slur meeting the definition of obscenity.  I believe there is actually case law on this.  Now a network might self-censor for fear of offending someone, but it isn't because they are on the hook to the FCC.  For example, if you've ever seen the Hallmark Channel, they sometimes censor episodes of the Golden Girls, even though the episodes are mostly 30+ years old and Hallmark is a cable network, not subject to broadcast standards.  They aren't doing that because they fear the FCC.  They are doing it because they are worried their audience might be offended, and go to another network.  That is what ABC was doing.         

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 1

Regarding the N word, in the special after the show, one of the actresses basically said they discussed "should we or shouldn't we" and decided to be true to the original script but thought the beeping was a good compromise. So it sounds like it was beeped by the show or network and not the FCC? Not that I know about these things.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Regarding the N word, in the special after the show, one of the actresses basically said they discussed "should we or shouldn't we" and decided to be true to the original script but thought the beeping was a good compromise. So it sounds like it was beeped by the show or network and not the FCC? Not that I know about these things.

Yes, that was Kerry Washington. She expressed the intent wonderfully. 
I couldn't find a YouTube of her saying it, but see also (3wsradio.iheart.com/content/2019-05-23-jimmy-kimmel-and-norman-lear-presentedall-in-the-family-the-jeffersons/) :

'The cast kept the "n-word" - which was aired clearly back in the day - in...though it was bleeped out. Later, during a reflection piece on the show, Washington said the cast felt that taking that approach honored the script, but also gave respect to how far the country has come.'

• Love 3
(edited)

Overall, I think there is a strong market for reboots of these shows (even though those idiots at Netflix cancelled One Day at a Time) giving the political climate at this time.

A reboot of All in the Family mixed in with the Jefferson's and a Maude reboot is needed stat!

Edited by greekmom
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Overall, I think there is a strong market for reboots of these shows (even though those idiots at Netflix cancelled One Day at a Time) giving the political climate at this time.

A reboot of All in the Family mixed in with the Jefferson's and a Maude reboot is needed stat!

I kept thinking they need to reboot Maude! 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

I thought of it as a tribute to Norman Lear, since he’s still alive but not getting any younger. And he truly is a television pioneer. 

Although I believe he was involved with the production, so a tribute to himself?

• Love 4

Against my better judgement, and because there was nothing better to watch, I caught the Jeffersons re-enactment and the documentary that followed. Wow, my instincts were right about this being bad.

• Jamie Foxx was miscast as George. A big part of the humor was George being a very short man who strutted around as compensation. Jamie being one of the taller people performing messed it all up.
  • Wanda was good as Louise, but she looked so small next to Jamie! It subtly changed her dynamic with George.
  • The actor played Mr. Bentley as an effeminate gay man. I wonder what he said after George walked on his back that got censored? Was it something about the boom mic in frame?
  • Will Feral played Tom Willis as Mr. Howell. Ugh. He is the worst.
  • The actress played Jenny like a woman who would have been nude in Lionel's bedroom.
  • They bleeped George saying "n*****" but the bleep occurred several seconds too early and he didn't even say it in the first place.
  • The actress playing Mother Jefferson spoke with a Caribbean accent. Weird.
  • It was cool to see Marla Gibbs, but she seemed a bit too old be a housekeeper. :-(
11 hours ago, Suzy Rhapsody said:

Am I the only one who thinks this is absolute sacrilege?  The overacting is just embarrassing.  Some things should be left in the past.  What's next?  Seinfeld with Zac Efron as Jerry?  (Sorry, I shouldn't even be putting that juju out into the universe.)

You're not the only one.

11 hours ago, Twilight Man said:

That shit bugs me too. Was there really a studio audience there? It sounded like a laf track was used and I couldn't help but notice whenever the cameras pulled back before the commercial break, they never quite showed the audience in the bleachers.

1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

Regarding the N word, in the special after the show, one of the actresses basically said they discussed "should we or shouldn't we" and decided to be true to the original script but thought the beeping was a good compromise.

Oh, that just pissed me off. They didn't bleep out "n*****" in the original show (and the clip from the show), so yeah, you didn't really stay true to original script, so quit patting yourself on the back. Then there's the issue I noted earlier...

I am convinced that special after the show was a "behind the scenes" show from about ten years ago with the commentary from the original actors replaced by the ones who performed it earlier. I remember the appearance and what the narrator said.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

Against my better judgement, and because there was nothing better to watch, I caught the Jeffersons re-enactment and the documentary that followed. Wow, my instincts were right about this being bad.

• Jamie Foxx was miscast as George. A big part of the humor was George being a very short man who strutted around as compensation. Jamie being one of the taller people performing messed it all up.
  • Wanda was good as Louise, but she looked so small next to Jamie! It subtly changed her dynamic with George.
  • The actor played Mr. Bentley as an effeminate gay man. I wonder what he said after George walked on his back that got censored? Was it something about the boom mic in frame?
  • Will Feral played Tom Willis as Mr. Howell. Ugh. He is the worst.
  • The actress played Jenny like a woman who would have been nude in Lionel's bedroom.
  • They bleeped George saying "n*****" but the bleep occurred several seconds too early and he didn't even say it in the first place.
  • The actress playing Mother Jefferson spoke with a Caribbean accent. Weird.
  • It was cool to see Marla Gibbs, but she seemed a bit too old be a housekeeper. 😞

You're not the only one.

That shit bugs me too. Was there really a studio audience there? It sounded like a laf track was used and I couldn't help but notice whenever the cameras pulled back before the commercial break, they never quite showed the audience in the bleachers.

Oh, that just pissed me off. They didn't bleep out "n*****" in the original show (and the clip from the show), so yeah, you didn't really stay true to original script, so quit patting yourself on the back. Then there's the issue I noted earlier...

I am convinced that special after the show was a "behind the scenes" show from about ten years ago with the commentary from the original actors replaced by the ones who performed it earlier. I remember the appearance and what the narrator said.

I did tell my husband that he was too tall to be George. Part of the humor with GJ was that he was a short man who thought he was a lot bigger. 

• Love 6

I thought it was going to be cheesy, but I enjoyed it. It was a nice departure and a chance to see a bunch of actors working together who you normally wouldn't see together.

I liked the Jefferson's outing a little bit better than I did All In The Family.

I thought Jamie Foxx was a bit broad when he first appeared as George in the All In The Family ep, but I can't deny he brought in a burst of energy that the show had felt lacking up to that point.  But he had course corrected very nicely on The Jeffersons and that felt more natural.

Marisa Tomei was great as Edith.  After the live show there was a retrospective that interviewed the cast (and Raven Symone for some odd reason, but I digress...) and they showed clips of the original episode that this cast had recreated.  And the scene at the table where Archie is mad about the toast was sharper on the original.  Archie was meaner, Edith came off as more beleaguered.  Woody and Marisa totally softened the edges a bit.

I thought Wanda was a bit miscast.  Also the original Mother Jefferson is just so iconic in my head I could not really see the replacement actress in her place, also she got the disdain down correctly.

Kerry Washington and Will Ferrel were great as Helen and Tom Willis.  Will got Tom's stuffiness right, and Kerry got Helen's imperiousness right.  In the after show special they showed the original N-word scene between Helen/George and Helen and Tom in the Hallway.  Comparing the two, I do think, again, Kerry's Helen was a little softer.  The original Helen was much more barbed toward George.

Also I remember thinking Justina Machado was such an odd casting for Florence when the case was announced.  Not because she was Latina, but becuase I didn;t think she could channel the essence that was Florence.  But having gotten such a great surprise when Marla Gibbs showed up, I think the Justina Machado announcement was a red herring to disguise the surprise.

Overall, nice experience.  Also saw that during the whole hour I watched it trended 7 out of 10 top items on twitter.  Good for them.

• Love 12

I thoroughly enjoyed the show!  I grew up watching both of these shows, and was curious to see how well they could pull this off.  I think The Jeffersons was done better last night that All in the Family.  AitF was always an issues show with humor tacked on, IMO.  The Jeffersons was a comedy with social issues tacked on. 

Last night, The Jeffersons felt full of energy, and was just as funny now as it was when it was first produced.  I'm not a Jamie Foxx fan, but he did a fantastic job as George.  He was pitch perfect in the role.  I also liked Wanda Sikes, even though she didn't do an "impersonation" of Isabel Sanford, but her own take on the character.  I believed her as Weezy completely.  I thought the Willises were a little weak.  Will Farrell and Kerry Washington played them a little more air-headed and breezy than the originals, and I didn't think that quite worked.  of course, bringing in Marla Gibbs was the best part of the entire show!

The All in the Family re-do was less entertaining, and felt more like a "TV experiment" that kind-of worked.  Woody Harrelson wasn't good as Archie, but then again, I can't imagine anyone else being able to take on that role and having us forget Carroll O'Conner either.  Marisa Tomei had Edith's voice and mannerisms down, but it seemed a little more sitcom-ish.

Overall, I loved it!  I'd like to see more of these, but - PLEASE-  don't do Maude or Good Times.  I never liked either show, and no one could match Bea Arthur or Jimmie Walker in their signature roles.  Sometimes its better to leave the past in the past.

• Love 5

I never liked Good Times but did enjoy Maude. But you know if they do Maude they will have to do GT. Maybe if they pick an earlier episode before it became the "JJ" show. 

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, topanga said:

I thought of it as a tribute to Norman Lear, since he’s still alive but not getting any younger. And he truly is a television pioneer. 

Although I believe he was involved with the production, so a tribute to himself?

I saw it as a tribute to Norman Lear in the form of allowing him, at 96 and still seemingly sharp, to have a platform one more time to express his message about inequality being an artificial, social construct (or however he would word it). Lear is listed as an Executive Producer on IMDb, and I expect that does not mean that they got him to pitch in money for just ego/legacy reasons, but rather because it's what he has and still does believe in--that situation comedy can be a vehicle to generate social awareness--and he realizes this is his last opportunity, and that perhaps society needs his message even more now than in the 70s. No?

24 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:
30 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

Jamie Foxx was miscast as George. A big part of the humor was George being a very short man who strutted around as compensation. Jamie being one of the taller people performing messed it all up.

I did tell my husband that he was too tall to be George. Part of the humor with GJ was that he was a short man who thought he was a lot bigger. 

Yes. Doesn't explain why he totally blew his line though. I guess he's not used to live performing and/or he can't relate to a joke predicated on 1950s childhood poverty.

• Love 3

I grew up with these shows (The Jeffersons more though).  I got chills when Jennifer Hudson sang the theme song and burst out in tears when Marla Gibbs showed up as Florence. 

The only miscasts -to me- were Ellie Kemper and the guy who played Meathead.  I thought Jamie Foxx channeled George Jefferson to a T.  Did he ever call Louise 'Weezy" though?  I don't remember hearing it if he did.   Woody did a wonderful job as Archie...... nobody can replace Carroll O'Connor but he did the character justice and Marisa Tomei!  She was wonderful!  The opening song was very well done.  Kerry Washington was really good - Will Ferrell.......eh, didn't buy his Tom so much or the gentleman who played Bentley.  Lionel (forgive me - not sure of the actor's name) was spot on as well.  I always thought Isabel Sanford was so pretty......Wanda Sykes did a good job but something was missing.  

I was so happy watching this last night as it brought me back to childhood but was also a bit shocked at how relevant it still is......  Norman Lear was genius and this was a touching, thoughtful homage to him.        

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Ubiquitous said:

The actress played Jenny like a woman who would have been nude in Lionel's bedroom.

That’s what you were supposed to think. Lionel and Jenny knew that’s what their parents, George especially, thought they were doing. So Jenny came out wrapped in the blanket. And showed them how ridiculous they were all being with their fighting.

• Love 8

I don't really keep up with what's on TV anymore, but just happened to catch an ad for this special yesterday morning.  Watched the two re-creations; didn't watch the discussion after.  Overall, thought it was interesting, especially from the perspective of how much things have changed vs how much things haven't changed in our world since the two original series were on the air.

Thought the actors were actually pretty brave to take on such iconic characters on such iconic shows, especially since viewers would always be comparing what happened last night to the originals.  Was it a good idea?  Who knows?  It's done.  Good experiment.  Everyone did their best, with varying degrees of success.  Wanda Sikes did a good job with Weezy, though the way she played the character was much different from how Isabel Sanford played the character; I did miss Isabel Sanford's deep, deep voice.  Jamie Foxx was a little twitchy; liked how he acknowledged his mess-up--"it's live television!"--openly, while the rest of the cast tried to keep from cracking up.  Woody Harrelson and Marisa Tomei had almost impossible tasks, I thought.  Good effort, though.

Norman Lear looked ancient.  And sometimes seemed as if he was losing the thread of what he was trying to say.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, chitowngirl said:

That’s what you were supposed to think. Lionel and Jenny knew that’s what their parents, George especially, thought they were doing. So Jenny came out wrapped in the blanket. And showed them how ridiculous they were all being with their fighting.

I know that was the joke, but in the original, Jenny was dressed a lot more conservatively to make it clear that she wasn't that kind of girl.

Over a decade ago, they actually had a show (that only aired seven episodes)................

It was called "The Rerun Show".

It had a cast of people who would attempt to portray the cast of a classic TV show every week.

(An actress would portray Samantha from Bewitched one week, then Kelly from SBTB next week)

and they would have "special appearances" each week as well.

Sometimes "they" would even portray their original characters

(Seeing Bonaduce walking around on his knees pretending to be his 8 year old self was a hoot)

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

It's on Hulu if anyone has a subscription.

Thanks for the info, but that's not an option for me as I don't have one and at this time don't plan on getting one.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
12 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Yes this. Sorry it I wasn't clear. ABC isn't going to let that fly due to likely fines/warning from the FCC.

Fwiw, the special after the show indicated that they kept the word in knowing the network would bleep it. I think the reason was that keeping the word was showing respect for the script and time frame the show was in but having it bleeped out acknowledged the society we are in now. 

• Love 4