Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
UYI

Live In Front Of A Studio Audience: Norman Lear’s ‘All In The Family’ and ‘Good Times' (ABC)

Recommended Posts

I'm about a billion years late in creating this (okay, more like a month late), but whatever:

Back by popular demand! 🙂

Airs Wednesday, December 18th, 2019 at 8-9:30 PM Eastern time on ABC. 

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/abc-live-in-front-of-a-studio-audience-second-special-1203394287/

For those of you who don't know: Good Times was a spinoff of AITF's OTHER spinoff series, Maude, where the late Esther Rolle played the title character's first of three housekeepers, Florida Evans. 

Edited by UYI
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, msrachelj said:

Is this just a repeat of the one aired a few months ago? If so, why repeat it, it’s not “live” anymore?

No. Last year it was All in the Family and The Jeffersons. This one is with Good Times.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, msrachelj said:

Is this just a repeat of the one aired a few months ago? If so, why repeat it, it’s not “live” anymore?

Like @GHScorpiosRule said, this is a different one that includes Good Times instead of The Jeffersons with AITF. That's why I created a new thread. 😉 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

And the cast has been announced for both shows!

All in the Family keeps the cast from its last outing with the additions of Kevin Bacon, Jesse Eisenberg, and Justina Machado, whose roles are being kept under wraps.

For Good Times, Viola Davis will be Florida Evans, Andre Braugher as her husband James, Jay Pharoah as JJ, Corrine Foxx (Jamie Foxx's daughter) as Thelma, Tiffany Haddish as neighbor Willona Woods, and Jharrel Jerome in an unspecified role.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

8 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

All in the Family keeps the cast from its last outing with the additions of Kevin Bacon, Jesse Eisenberg, and Justina Machado, whose roles are being kept under wraps.

How fantastic - especially given the false rumor the wonderful Machado would appear in The Jeffersons episode last time (well worth the fakeout when Marla Gibbs reprised her role) - except Eisenberg.  Bleh.  And why?

8 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

For Good Times, Viola Davis will be Florida Evans, Andre Braugher as her husband James, Jay Pharoah as JJ, Corrine Foxx (Jamie Foxx's daughter) as Thelma, Tiffany Haddish as neighbor Willona Woods, and Jharrel Jerome in an unspecified role

This cast, though, sounds great; unlike with All in the Family and The Jeffersons, I was only a sporadic viewer of Good Times, but I'm still all in.

At any rate, I found this a deliciously fun experiment last time, and look forward to seeing it further explored.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/10/2019 at 11:01 PM, UYI said:

I'm about a billion years late in creating this (okay, more like a month late), but whatever:

Back by popular demand! 🙂

Airs Wednesday, December 18th, 2019 at 8-9:30 PM Eastern time on ABC. 

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/abc-live-in-front-of-a-studio-audience-second-special-1203394287/

For those of you who don't know: Good Times was a spinoff of AITF's OTHER spinoff series, Maude, where the late Esther Rolle played the title character's first of three housekeepers, Florida Evans. 

Ty! I've been trying to find the date. I can't wait! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

JJ looks too old and trying too hard to act like the original that he can't relax and be more natural.

I never like the Alderman Davis episodes but it's worth it to see John Amos.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Snow Apple said:

JJ looks too old and trying too hard to act like the original that he can't relax and be more natural.

Yeah you're right.  Everyone else though, I really enjoyed.  I liked Viola Davis as Florida.  They even gave her the space between her front teeth.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

8 minutes ago, greekmom said:

What word did they bleep in All in the Family?

 

1 minute ago, CJBinATX said:

Asian ethnic slur. 

Does anyone remember if it was in the original episode? I’m assuming it referred to an ethnicity that was traditionally associated with laundries?

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, bmoore4026 said:

Wusses.  Either have the word or don't do these things at all.

They tried saying the actual words last time. It seems most people didn't like it. I think bleeping is a good solution, better than changing the script.

 

  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, SoMuchTV said:

 

Does anyone remember if it was in the original episode? I’m assuming it referred to an ethnicity that was traditionally associated with laundries?

It was. I have a copy nearby for reference. It was a particularly bad one you might get in your armor. 

Just now, Nordly Beaumont said:

They tried saying the actual words last time. It seems most people didn't like it. I think bleeping is a good solution, better than changing the script.

 

Except one particularly offensive word which was bleeped, like tonight. 

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Good Times was....not good.  It felt some of the actors bothered to go to rehearsals and others only mentally checked in today.  Also, Viola Davis needs to do a balls to the walls comedy. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

All in the Family continues to knock it out of the park.  I have to admit it I am wondering if they will do The Fact of Life next?

My vote is on Maude or One Day at a Time.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Marisa Tomei looked beautiful in that wig and outfit! My favorite part is her doing Edith's run/walk. Woody Harrelson was much better in the role this time. He seemed more at ease. Nice detail of putting his wedding ring on his middle finger (but Archie had rings on both middle fingers)

11 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

Good Times was....not good.  It felt some of the actors bothered to go to rehearsals and others only mentally checked in today.  Also, Viola Davis needs to do a balls to the walls comedy. 

It felt clunky, they stepped on each other's lines and some jokes just didn't land. I'm sure the guy doing JJ was trying, but it came off as an intentionally bad impersonation. And he was too old. It wasn't horrible, but like you say... not good.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

Can anyone help me figure out why “meathead” (Ike Barinholtz) is so familiar to me? Nothing on his IMDb stands out, but both his name and his face are so familiar. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Two Kleenex from Kevin Bacon's speech on.
But maybe ya had ta be there (during Vietnam).
Marisa Tomei was barely holding it together, which didn't help me any. 
 😢

Woody Harrelson and Marisa Tomei have their characters down much more than last year (which was pretty good).

Excuse me while I get another Kleenex.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, greekmom said:

My vote is on Maude or One Day at a Time

One Day at a Time has been rebooted, so I don’t see them doing that one. I think we discussed last time who could play Maude and I don’t think a definitive actress’s name came up. 
 

The Facts of Life wasn’t Norman Lear, was it?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Just now, chitowngirl said:

One Day at a Time has been rebooted, so I don’t see them doing that one. I think we discussed last time who could play Maude and I don’t think a definitive actress’s name came up. 
 

The Facts of Life wasn’t Norman Lear, was it?

Someone on another site suggested Alison Janney to play Maude.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, chitowngirl said:

One Day at a Time has been rebooted, so I don’t see them doing that one. I think we discussed last time who could play Maude and I don’t think a definitive actress’s name came up. 
 

The Facts of Life wasn’t Norman Lear, was it?

I still would like ODAAT even though they rebooted it.

No Facts isn't Norman Lear but having Martin Short singing the theme song made me nostalgic. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

IMO Jay Pharoah is not quite skinny enough for JJ. JJ didn't have visible pecs. Jay maybe should've dropped 5 or 10 pounds for the role. 😉 (Wonder why they didn't get Lakeith Stanfield? Too expensive?)

Loved Viola and Andre. Just perfect.

Cool how they made 1970s-style promos for the current ABC TV shows. I don't remember, did they do that the last time?

Was John Amos going up on his lines? There were some awkward pauses.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, greekmom said:

I still would like ODAAT even though they rebooted it.

Yeah, that’s my vote too. The reboot probably wouldn’t prevent them from grabbing an old script. In fact, commercials for the reboot during the live show would increase awareness of it.

It does now look like this is always going to be All In The Family plus one other.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, greekmom said:

All in the Family continues to knock it out of the park.  I have to admit it I am wondering if they will do The Fact of Life next?

My vote is on Maude or One Day at a Time.

I would love a facts of Life. 

 

Good Times was definitely the weaker of the two, though I thought Andre Braugher, Viola David, and Tiffany Hadish were great. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

13 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Someone on another site suggested Alison Janney to play Maude.

I agree Alison Janney would be perfect for Maude.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Was John Amos going up on his lines? There were some awkward pauses.

I seriously think that his dentures were out of whack ...made it difficult to speak....

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, greekmom said:

I think Marcus Scribner would have been great as JJ.

ABC followed this show with Black-ish's "Good-ish Times" episode (2.24) in which Marcus Scribner does pull off JJ. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Edith spends so much time running around and acting ditzy that when she gets serious and emotional, it sure make an impact and make you feel. And not just in this episode. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

One Day at a Time has been rebooted, so I don’t see them doing that one. I think we discussed last time who could play Maude and I don’t think a definitive actress’s name came up. 
 

The Facts of Life wasn’t Norman Lear, was it?

Not directly, but he was involved in developing both it and Diff'rent Strokes (more DS than FOL; the latter being spun off from from the former, of course), although the creation is technically credited to other people.

I started to tear up when John Amos showed up. That was truly special, especially given the circumstances surrounding his departure from the original show:

Marisa Tomei continues to amaze as Edith. She's just fantastic.

GLORIA HAD BLONDE HAIR, DAMN IT. They couldn't find a wig at Party City and slap it on Ellie Kemper's head? SMH.

Woody Harrelson tried his best, bless him, but he didn't even come CLOSE to the intensity of Carroll O'Connor in that dinner scene.

 

  • Like 8
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Two Kleenex from Kevin Bacon's speech on.

I remember this episode well and I cried then too. I remember Carrol O'Connor worked up a sweat at the end. It was so emotional. I thought Jesse Eisenberg was good in his role too. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

I'm sorry, but Good Times was not good.  I thought Viola Davis had the right look and made a good Florida, but I was not impressed with the other actors.  It may have just been that they chose a weaker episode of the show to use, but it just kind of dragged.  And did John Amos forget his lines?  They had that awkward silence with him, and it sounded like one of the actors off camera was trying to keep the scene moving.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

I knew All in the Family was going to do the draft dodger show when it was announced Kevin Bacon was going to be Pinky Peterson and Jesse Eisenberg was cast. Marisa Tomei continued to amaze me as Edith. If you didn't know what the storyline of the show was, it must've been a shocker. All in the Family had sad Xmas shows. The one when Beverly LaSalle was murdered showed more of the Edith character.

Good Times was so-so. To me, Viola Davis just didn't have Esther Rolle's spark. John Amos did seem to have trouble with his lines. He'll be 80 next week. I was glad to see the actors from the original show. It was funny when Bernadette Stanis slammed the door in Jimmie Walker's face. John Amos was fired from the original show for complaining about storylines. I guess he and Norman Lear made up.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

John Amos was fired from the original show for complaining about storylines. I guess he and Norman Lear made up.

I think they made up a long time ago.  John Amos starred in Lear's mid-90s All in the Family spin-off, 704 Hauser.  It was about a black family living in the Bunker's old home.  The twist was the parents were black liberals, and the son was a black conservative dating a white Jewish girl (played by Maura Tierney). 

  • Like 4
  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I remember this episode well and I cried then too. I remember Carrol O'Connor worked up a sweat at the end. It was so emotional. I thought Jesse Eisenberg was good in his role too. 

Yes. Jesse Eisenberg was wonderful. I didn't even recognize him.
  
  

 

1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

I'm sorry, but Good Times was not good.  I thought Viola Davis had the right look and made a good Florida, but I was not impressed with the other actors. 

Viola Davis is always in the moment, no matter the role. The others in Good Times would probably do well if they do another episode, just like, IMO, Woody and Marisa did much better this time.
  
  

1 hour ago, babyhouseman said:

I knew All in the Family was going to do the draft dodger show when it was announced Kevin Bacon was going to be Pinky Peterson and Jesse Eisenberg was cast. Marisa Tomei continued to amaze me as Edith. If you didn't know what the storyline of the show was, it must've been a shocker. All in the Family had sad Xmas shows.

Although I was a couple of years too young and the wrong gender to have to worry about the draft, I was in Canada living without electricity when this and most AITF episodes were airing, and I've never caught up on them, so, yeah, I didn't know exactly how this was going to play out. It seemed pretty obvious from the point that Pinky and David first met that it would be something like it was, but, wow, so intense, so well written (and acted).

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Wow, it was quite something to see John Amos appear; I didn't know that was coming.  I loved seeing him and Norman Lear hug after All in the Family, given their long, messy history.

Good Times was the weaker show for me back in the day, and it was tonight, too - as strictly compared to tonight's production of All in the Family.  But the original GT episode was run of the mill, while the original AITF episode was more powerful.  And tonight's AITF was good, but paled in comparison - even Kevin Bacon - to the original.  So if I examine it instead as which one best embodied the source material, GT comes out looking pretty good.  (It helps that impeachment voting was done by the time it aired here, so no interruptions by the network and also no split focus on my part).  And small acts of resistance always resonate.

Jay Pharaoh was off, big time, (and not the right physique for JJ), but Viola Davis papers over a lot - she had good chemistry with Andre Braugher (who stumbled more than I expected) and Tiffany Haddish and evoked Florida.  After When They See Us, I'm in favor of anything that puts Jharrel Jerome on my screen -- speaking of which, it was nice to see Asante Blackk as Michael, too.  And it's just always nice to revisit these shows and see what's changed and what hasn't among the issues and dynamics.  I enjoyed it.

And I enjoyed AITF, too, of course, but it just didn't pack the same punch as the original despite the cast.  Woody Harrelson remains no substitute for Carroll O'Connor as Archie Bunker; that doesn't mean he's an inferior actor (not at all), but just that he can't hit that particular role anywhere near as well.  That scene needed the scary as hell, about to burst rage of O'Connor's Archie to make Pinky's contrasting response as powerful as it was the first time around.

Marisa Tomei has big shoes to fill as well, and does it more naturally; she remains a standout in this project.

Gloria as a non-blonde is distracting.  But, I'll be damned, Jesse Eisenberg isn't; I was bummed by his casting, but he fit in.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I cut Good Times some slack, since it was happening in parallel with Impeachment voting, and it seemed like they were pausing production whenever ABC News cut in, so that had to be killing their pacing. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Just coming in to add my two cents. I thought Good Times was definitely the weaker of the two, but I loved seeing John Amos again and cut him so slack as he'll be 80 in a few days.  I thought Viola Davis did a great job as Florida but was surprised to see Andre Braugher stumble a couple times. Tiffany Haddish seemed to get better as it went on, maybe she was nervous at the start. The actor playing JJ was just so bad in the role.

I thought All in the Family was really good. Feels like Woody Harrelson did a much better job this time around. I didn't even hate Jesse Eisenberg like I normally do. Marissa Tomei was great as Edith again.  Would it kill Ellie Kemper to wear a blonde wig?

All in all I still enjoyed it and hope they do it again.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I remember this episode and I feel they did a decent job with it last night.  This boomer suggests that for those who haven't seen the original, to go find it somewhere on the interwebs - powerful stuff

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size