Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Four Marks

• Start Topic

Episode seemed clearer and the colors brighter.

Little Geralt fighting, he was not even the main focus of the story.

Good comedic scenes, managed to tone down the dialogue spouted by all the characters except for the Bard. If the Bard talk half as much, it would have been a better episode.

Too much plot, not enough mindless fighting.

Coming in with zero knowledge this sure was a massive exposition dump. Not unusual for fantasy but maybe a short voice-over intro that got the vital info across in a two or three minute montage would be welcome. Might not be elegant but effective.

After the first episode I wasn't sure if Yennefer was going to survive the episode but apparently she's here to stay. 

• Love 1

Definitely a bit surprise over how humorous this show could be.  Heck, they even had Jaskier make a meta reference by pointing out how he was just basically there to do exposition at one point.  Granted, the games could be darkly funny at times, but I figured this was going to try and go completely into the dark and dreary territory, so this concept is a nice surprise.

So, after introducing Geralt and Ciri in the first episode, they both went into the background a bit, and this was mainly about bringing Yennifer into the fold.  Her origin story wasn't what I was expecting, but it was interesting enough.  Not familiar with Anya Chalotra, but I thought she did a great job as Yen.  Also cool seeing MyAnna Burning as Tissaia.  But it seems like Yen's buddy is actually working for Stregobor?

Geralt's storyline was mainly to a) introduce Jaskier and b) show viewers that humans and elves do not have a good relationship.  Of course, I think human and elves always end up being at odds in fantasy stories, until a bigger threat arrises!

At least Ciri found a friend, but that poor girl is going to be scarred for life the more this story goes.

• Love 9

Geralt seems to be the weak part of this show so far. Yennifer is more interesting, and while my only exposure to this series is one video game, I love that they made her flawed vs. gorgeous. Also, like a lot that the elves are homes less and cruel and not shiny and majestic, as they usually are in these types of stories. 

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 3

Two episodes in, and I'm quite pleased by this.  Not a reader of the books, so this doesn't have to live or die by a comparison.

Since comparisons are inevitable, I'll state outright that I like the structure and themes far better than Game of Thrones.  I'm also quite pleased by Cavill, who I never really liked all that much as Superman.  The role he's playing requires a very delicate balance, I think, because he has to seem badass, but not TOO badass or he won't be sympathetic.  Supposedly emotionless, but actually emoting subtly or again... he wouldn't be sympathetic.  Moral, but not TOO moral or he'll seem like a sap.

The Yennifer story is intriguing, although I find myself wondering if we're supposed to be rooting for her or not, now that we've learned she can be utterly ruthless (and to people who arguably didn't deserve it).  If we aren't supposed to root for her, then we're going to eventually need another reason to care about her unfolding story.

Ciri seems like the weak point to me in this.  I'm not terribly engaged with her or her story at this point.  I do realize it's the hardest story to keep interesting, but they've got to step it up. People dying constantly around her isn't enough. Her story actually needs some stability to it to build any momentum.  The actress isn't failing, but isn't totally succeeding either.

On 12/21/2019 at 7:49 AM, Ottis said:

Geralt seems to be the weak part of this show so far. Yennifer is more interesting, and while my only exposure to this series is one video game, I love that they made her flawed vs. gorgeous. Also, like a lot that the elves are homes less and cruel and not shiny and majestic, as they usually are in these types of stories. 

To me the Princess is the weak part so far, both actingwise and in terms of story.  I know she's definitely got to be key with what comes, but so far it's the most boring part of this.

On 12/21/2019 at 5:45 AM, MissLucas said:

Coming in with zero knowledge this sure was a massive exposition dump. Not unusual for fantasy but maybe a short voice-over intro that got the vital info across in a two or three minute montage would be welcome. Might not be elegant but effective.

Actually I found this pretty effective for exposition. It seemed to be a good way to do it. 

For me, a voiceover would be terribly intrusive and artificial for a show that's clearly trying to be grounded.  

• Love 5

Yennefer and Jaskier are here, so all major characters are introduced! Anya Chalotra and Joey Batey are excellent in their roles, casting is so strong with this series:) Since Yen backstory was only hinted in the books and we mostly saw her through Geralt's eyes, I'm loving the showrunner's choice to show us her beginnings. Her unhappy childhood, relationships with Tissaisa (again amazing casting) and Istredd, we can finally see how it all begun. The training in Aretuza is also something new for me, I was actually surprised how brutal it was.

Geralt's story was mostly in the background here and the main point of this was to introduce Jaskier as Geralt's first friend. They really cut a lot of original story and I understand why, though I still feel like they could make Geralt's converstation with Filavandrel slightly longer. I don't really understand what convinced him to spare them.

Also "Toss a Coin to Your Witcher" is a very catchy song. Can't get it out of my head. I hope Jaskier will sing a lot:)

• Love 3

Someone online compared Geralt and Jaskier on the road to Shrek and Donkey from Shrek, and now I cant un-see it. 

So now we have another main character, and another new story! Plus, as Jaskier even noted, a TON of exposition! So Elves and humans are not fans of each other, and that humans were dicks to elves, and elves are on the outskirts of their society and are pretty pissed off about the whole situation. 

So tough school that magic school, get a poor grade and become an eel! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I'm still confused by the eel thing - show keeps talking about one girl being turned into an eel but I saw four or five standing there and then getting the treatment. Were the others just not important for the story?

I thought it was the dirty secret of the school, that nobody ever flunks out of the school, they are turned into eels and their magic is siphoned off like a battery to use in maintaining the school. Think electric eels, but replace electric with magic.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
22 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Someone online compared Geralt and Jaskier on the road to Shrek and Donkey from Shrek, and now I cant un-see it. 

One reviewer compared it to Hercules and Iolaus on the old 90s show, though Jaskier/Dandelion makes me think more of Joxer from Hercules/Xena.

• Love 4

So Geralt's dryly humorous at best and mostly serious Xena got his Gabrielle this episode with the super meta bard, who even admits he's largely there for exposition.  I'm starting to feel like it's okay that I'm not familiar with the source material as they're hitting pretty much every standard fantasy trope.  Worst Hogwarts ever?  Elf genocide by the expanding world of men?  Bard sidekick for comic relief?  Evil wizard popping in randomly just to remind that he's pulling strings?  Runaway princess in disguise?  Shitty family selling off an unwanted kid with secret magical powers?  Check check and check.  The only real surprise was learning that apparently elf blood causes scoliosis in this universe.

At this point I'm less taking this seriously and more just getting a kick out of watching the show check all of this off.  A lot of this really does look great onscreen, but the elf ears were just distractingly terrible.  That's going to be a look that's hard to pull off under most circumstances without looking completely costumey, though, as your eye is immediately drawn to it.

• Love 5

What I didn't get about this episode is that barring Tissaia sensing and tracking Yennefer's portal, we haven't seen Yen actually do much (unless I blinked and missed it?).  Presumably her potential was enough to avoid getting eeled?  I was also a bit perturbed how Yen was - in the end - okay with the one semi-friend she'd made there getting turned into an eel, even to the point of dumping them into the pool and smiling about it.  I guess it's the ruthless part of her but I thought it was odd at the time.

The elf plotline was very forgettable if not for the introduction of Jaskier.

• Love 2

Just started checking out this show and made it through the first two episodes. I've also never read the books or played any of the games so I'm coming to this without any prior knowledge.  I liked the first episode better mostly because I'm just not all that interested in Yennifer so far.  I liked Renfri from the first episode a lot better and wish she could've stuck around a bit longer. 

I didn't pick up that there were two timelines going on.  

• Love 1

Oh. The bard. I remember him from the games. He was annoying as fuck.

I liked that we got to see more variety in the environs of this world. Geralt and his buddy were in a Mediterranean/North African feeling place, as opposed to the forests and swamps of Eastern Europe in the first episode. I like the different take on Elves - as an oppressed minority rather than the aloof, mysterious and ethereal figures that we usually see in fantasy. It's not the first time I've seen this inversion.

Anyway, this was mostly about Yennefer, which was interesting, but it took a whole episode to tell us the inevitable - Yennefer is extremely talented at magic. And the way magic actually works was rather vague. The actress playing Tissaisa needs to be cast as an Aes Sedai in the Wheel of Time, by the way. She absolutely nailed the cool sternness and almost maternal attitude to her students.

This was impressive physical acting by the actress to make Yennefer look... malformed, because she's clearly a very attractive woman. I liked the inference at the end that she's making the choice to pursue power, even knowing that she's doing it at the expense of others. She's been abused her entire life, and she's not going to get many chances to level the playing field.

I guess Ciri is going to do a lot of moping in poverty, for a while. The actress reminds me a lot of a younger Kirsten Dunst, which was a little distracting. The Nilfgaardians certainly are desperate to find her. Seems like they went to war with Cintra for that sole reason.

• Love 4

I have to admit this episode really peaked my interest after the first episode left me wanting. I am still having trouble with the names though, even with closed captioning turned on. They are uniquely strange but hard to remember. And it's difficult to know who to try to remember since a lot of characters that seem important end up getting killed off after one episode.

I was completely engrossed in Yennefer's story and found the Bard hilarious. I don't know that his actual name was ever uttered in this episode - this forum is the first place I've seen it. 

Too much plot, not enough mindless fighting.

But I prefer that. I'm not interested in watching endless battle scenes and overly choreographed fight scenes. I want a real story here not mindless action. If that was all this show was about I'd be out of here. I understand there's an audience for that sort of thing but I'm not it. That's what video games are for IMO. Which is why I was rather skeptical of this show in the first place.

• Love 4

I wasn't sure if I was gonna keep watching this, since I thought the pilot was pretty bad, although it had some cool moments.

But Yennefer's story was complex enough and sympathetic enough that I'm definitely back in, and would like to see where this goes. The actors were all terrific here, although I was distracted by how much Anya Chalotra looks like Kristen Stewart from time to time. I thought MyAnna Burning was superb as Tissaia (even though to me she will always be Scooti from that "Impossible Planet" episode of Doctor Who).

I did find it weird that Yennefer seemed to connect to the kind girl a few times, then others it was like the story didn't remember that they were friends. Also, I found it odd that the girl whose hand was burned and shriveled evidently just.... kept on magicking? The girls ending as magical eels who would power up Tissaia's, er, magic pool, was pretty brutal, although I liked that Yennefer was both repelled and fascinated -- and willing to make brutal choices for power.

I liked all of Yennefer's scenes with the Hot Magic Guy (and they have great chemistry), but was slightly confused to realize that evidently both of them are actively attempting to deceive the other? Darn it.

I felt awful for poor Ciri here -- sheesh, that scene with the dwarf servant stabbing her benefactor was brutal. But I loved the revelation that her friend from the forest was an elf.

Geralt is sort of fun so far (and I'm digging Cavill's performance -- there's a glint of humor to it, despite all the growling, and he looks really cool AND like he's having fun). And the new bard sidekick is sort of amusing, in small doses, although I thought his songs were awful and anachronistic to the point of breaking immersion for me. I also really dislike the show's score in general, and that's unusual for me. It just feels like a bunch of cliched, vaguely ethereal world music with discordant shouty voices. I wish they'd hired someone like Inon Zur or Trevor Morris.

Still, I'm hesitantly in.

I'm a gamer, but I've never been able to get into the Witcher series -- I tried to play Witcher 3, but I couldn't stick with it. I resented having to play a male protagonist, so I much prefer stuff like BioWare's Dragon Age series, where I can choose gender (and usually race, except in DA2). But on the good side, this means I'm totally unspoiled! 

• Love 4

Henry Cavill is almost too good-looking. 

I'm still not sure if I'm up for this, but friends love it, so I'll either watch the rest, or find the books first. I like the bard/sidekick. There's so much talking in low, sultry voices, or magic and manipulation, along with stabbing going on, that I'm glad he's there to lighten things up. 

This reminds me of a cross between Game of Thrones, and Lord of the Rings. My sister would love this.

Okay - there have been a lot of topless scenes for the women and I've been wondering-- are they CGIing the breasts?

Because all the women have the same breasts, about a Bcup, quite round and with small nipples.
I've been in enough change rooms in my long life to know that there are a lot more shapes and nipple sizes in reality, so .... CGI or a really intrusive casting process?

• Useful 3