Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: An Irish Lullaby

• Start Topic

After Feratti’s display of force, Ray and Terry travel to Coney Island to track down Ray’s missing car. Mickey, Daryll, and Sandy continue their quest for the truth about the 1977 heist. Bunchy uses a few tricks he learned at the pharmacy to make some quick cash, and Smitty seeks revenge on Adam Rain.

Original airdate: 12/15/19

What the hell? What am I missing? I love this show and loved episode 1, but 5 episodes in and what is the plot? The episodes meander into the ridiculous. The characters behave in ways that are cartoonish. 

And the subplot with Ray and Dr. Alan Alda have segments that are way too short and go nowhere. How can Ray ever "grow" when he cannot even be honest with the doctor about all the murders he has committed? I don't even see the point of his sessions since he reveals nothing and nothing deep is discussed. 

I think this season is a real disappointment. And I think Ray's new love interest was miscast. 

• Love 1

Mickey thinks he was robbed of a rightful share of a bank robbery decades ago.  So first he waterboards a guy but Auntie Mullet gives away his identity behind the mask.

No worries though, she shoots the poor guy.

Next they get Daryl to get another accomplice of the bank robbery out of an old folks home so that Mickey could shock him.  But they dial up the voltage too much and kills the second guy.

Mickey says he would have been a billionaire if he got his share decades ago.  Sandy hints that he would have likely blown it on wine, women and song, like soccer player George Best.

Mickey says he's not like that, to which Sandy gives the longest side eye.

Bridget comes clean to Cancer Boy about cheating on him.  He starts to sob and she expresses disgust at his reaction.  So when Adam calls, Smitty goes over there with a bat and a bottle and rearranges Adam's skeleton a little.

She has to bail out Smitty who tells her she wanted him to be go like Ray with the bat.  Not only is Bridget a little turned on that Cancer Boy is a little like her father, she's a bit like her mother, both egging on her husband as well as nagging him.

Ray and Terry hang out together all day at Coney Island, reminiscing about the old days, the lullaby their mother sang to them.  They hit a deer on the way back and Terry insists that Ray put it out of its misery.

Bunchy robs his former employer's stores to get money for the kid he shot but it isn't enough money for the big shot doctor of the 1%.

Meanwhile, Molly get a nice piece of her father's company but the oldest son is pissed at $1.2 million a year.  Of course Mickey is going to want to wet his beak too with that Sullivan wealth.

• Love 2

This episode was directed by Dash!

We got almost 20 minutes into the episode without any Bridget. Yay! And then she dropped the bomb and I was like ugh, is the rest of this episode going to be about Bridget and Smitty? SAY IT AIN'T SO.

Reason #292764778108 why Bridget sucks - she tells her husband that she cheated on him with her boss and then she tells him not to cry. Sorry, Bridget, you don't get to tell people how to react when you do something shitty.

I liked how Terry went from telling Ray that he doesn't need a therapist to telling Ray that going to see a therapist was hopeful.

Rich families make me laugh and roll my eyes. O'Sullivan gives his dipshit son a $1.2 million allowance per year and he has the nerve to complain? Cry me a river, dude.

Mickey and Declean seems destined to meet and plot against Jimmy/siblings.

I don't feel bad for Darryl one bit. How many times did his mother warn him to stay away!

No way Molly is surving this season if she is getting involved romantically with Ray.

(Not that I was staring long at her pelvic area) but I wonder why Kerry Condon allowed her incision/scar to be seen. Seems they brought down the sheets that low on purpose.

How long was Jimmy sitting outside his daughter's bedroom? He was probably listening to them all night.

How much trouble is that nursing home in for letting O'Malley get taken. That nurse could easily identify all 3. 

I was pulling for O'Malley to escape. At least he got some good shots on them!

Smitty will be stupid and take Bridget back. 

Are we done with Liberty and the Shaman? Or maybe seeing the deer is enough reason for Terry to go back.

Ray is lucky his gun and other items in his car weren't stolen. 

Instead of robbing a few stores, Bunchy should have asked his new "friends" at the "Knights of Manhattan" to raise money for Valentina and her son.

Business hours: 7AM to 5PM. Out for breakfast until 1 and out for lunch until 2 or 3! I want that job (Just need to avoid being sucker punched from customers)!!!!!

Edited by mxc90

Oh Bridget. Seriously? Unless you acquired an STD or a pregnancy I'm thinking that bit of information about your infidelity was best kept to yourself. That is unless you actually wanted to hurt Smitty and end your marriage.

Or get Smitty sent to jail for aggravated assault.

That roller coaster scene was fun. They rarely show Ray purely enjoying himself when he's not drunk or having sex.

Mickey is insane. Jumpstart someone's memory with literal jumper cables? WTF? And good grief, that old guy must've been hopped on PCP or something.

And of course Mickey killed O'Malley before he could get the info he needed. Whatever, they just left the body out there with their fingerprints all over that torture scene? Dumbasses.

Heh, Terry's still got that killer left hook despite the Parkinson's.

Did Bunchy rob his former place of employment? Like they won't recognize his body and voice on the security video.

Meh, I feel like that Sullivan chick is up to something no good wrt Ray and the Donovans.

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

This episode was directed by Dash!

I saw that too. I wonder if this was his first directing gig. 

9 hours ago, scrb said:

Meanwhile, Molly get a nice piece of her father's company but the oldest son is pissed at $1.2 million a year. 

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Rich families make me laugh and roll my eyes. O'Sullivan gives his dipshit son a $1.2 million allowance per year and he has the nerve to complain? Cry me a river, dude.

$100K / month is nice enough, but he couldn't spend it on himself. It could only be spent to benefit his two kids. Meanwhile, #2 son gets to fun a billion dollar company and sis runs the charitable organization. 

I'm enjoying Ray's scenes w/ Hawkeye. And watching Ray try to put into effect the lessons he's learning. 

3 hours ago, mxc90 said:

I don't feel bad for Darryl one bit. How many times did his mother warn him to stay away!

Absolutely. 

Two people you should listen to are Lena and Darryl's mother. So, of course, nobody listens to either. 

It was nice seeing that Ray and Terry took one of the subway lines that actually does go to Coney Island. And the joy on Ray's face, and fear on Terry's, at being on The Cyclone. Worth the POP of admission. 

Amazing how responsive the behemoth from the nursing home became. All it took was a Yaz memory, a little singing from Sandy and Mickey, and a couple of jolts of electricity and, voila, memory restored. 

5 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Did Bunchy rob his former place of employment? Like they won't recognize his body and voice on the security video.

He robbed several of their stores. I don't know if the first was the location where he worked.

Hitting the deer was done so well I nearly got a heart attack. I have seen quite a lot of unexpected hits in tv series and movies but never with such an impact.

On another subject I really liked how Smitty reacted to Bridget trying to touch him after he got out of prison. He really got how sick her reaction both times was. He was not trying to emulate her father to get her approval, he just wanted to show her how wrong her expectations from him were.

17 hours ago, scrb said:

Bridget comes clean to Cancer Boy about cheating on him.  He starts to sob and she expresses disgust at his reaction. 

Bridget trying to not be like her dad by coming clean.  But then being a total Donovan by being angry that he cries.

I lol’ed at Mickey claiming that if he got his fair share of the heist he’d be a billionaire.  He wouldn’t have squandered that money.  Riiiiiight...

On 12/15/2019 at 3:36 AM, scrb said:

Mickey thinks he was robbed of a rightful share of a bank robbery decades ago.  So first he waterboards a guy but Auntie Mullet gives away his identity behind the mask.

No worries though, she shoots the poor guy.

Next they get Daryl to get another accomplice of the bank robbery out of an old folks home so that Mickey could shock him.  But they dial up the voltage too much and kills the second guy.

Mickey says he would have been a billionaire if he got his share decades ago.  Sandy hints that he would have likely blown it on wine, women and song, like soccer player George Best.

Mickey says he's not like that, to which Sandy gives the longest side eye.

Bridget comes clean to Cancer Boy about cheating on him.  He starts to sob and she expresses disgust at his reaction.  So when Adam calls, Smitty goes over there with a bat and a bottle and rearranges Adam's skeleton a little.

She has to bail out Smitty who tells her she wanted him to be go like Ray with the bat.  Not only is Bridget a little turned on that Cancer Boy is a little like her father, she's a bit like her mother, both egging on her husband as well as nagging him.

Ray and Terry hang out together all day at Coney Island, reminiscing about the old days, the lullaby their mother sang to them.  They hit a deer on the way back and Terry insists that Ray put it out of its misery.

Bunchy robs his former employer's stores to get money for the kid he shot but it isn't enough money for the big shot doctor of the 1%.

Meanwhile, Molly get a nice piece of her father's company but the oldest son is pissed at $1.2 million a year.  Of course Mickey is going to want to wet his beak too with that Sullivan wealth.

Excellent summary...the question is:  is this all leading to some conclusive point at season end?  Or is it just another day in the office for the family. 

On 12/15/2019 at 10:01 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

He robbed the stores because this is what the supervisor said to him:  "Value Drugs has a clearly defined policy. If a robbery occurs, we don't interfere."   He knew if they were following "policy" he would get away with the robberies.

That being said; did he and the hospitalized perp's mom really think $17k was going to entice the "Surgeon Elite" into doing the surgery. To that scumbag $17k is pocket money.

As an aside, do doctors/surgeons ever take on cases pro-Bono like some lawyers do??

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, preeya said:

doctors/surgeons ever take on cases pro-Bono like some lawyers do??

They may go work at some public clinics or maybe do a tour overseas like in Latin America.

But this guy is rich and earns top fees.  Sounded like he had no interest in lowering his fees or donating his time.

He robbed the stores because this is what the supervisor said to him:  "Value Drugs has a clearly defined policy. If a robbery occurs, we don't interfere."   He knew if they were following "policy" he would get away with the robberies.

He would get away with it in the moment but it's likely that they'll be able to identify him on the security video. Why would they let him get away with robbing their stores? The PR might be messy I guess.

• Love 1

I love when they write in real locations in the dialogue and the actors mispronounce the name.  Canobie Park in NH is a popular amusement park for local Boston people.  Terry pronounced it with a long O instead of pronouncing it to rhyme with canopy, the correct way.  You figure whoever wrote that would let him know how it’s pronounced.  

Was that the Ravel Hotel in Long Island City at the end?