Type keyword(s) to search

One Piece - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Finally caught last week's episode. It's filler/breather where Brook tries to fit in with the crew, only to screw up in hilarious ways. No huge conflicts, though Brook does break out the violin for "Binks' Brew," which I can totally understand if it bugs.

The next episode starts the Sabaody Archipelago arc, but . . . yep. Toonami shelved the show. I think I can catch up with DVDs from the library, but it still sucks.  I like reading reactions here, even if there are few of us watching.

Hey, the forum is still up! Here's hoping Toonami brings it back. In the meanwhile, I believe this from the official site: a 20-year retrospective with highlights inside two minutes. You'll have to turn on closed captioning for translations.

Heads up . . . Toonami is bringing One Piece back, starting with two episodes at 1:30 a.m. this Saturday. They’ll be starting from the point after the time skip. Probably the best move, even if we’d miss Sabaody Archipelago, Amazon Lily, Impel Down, Marineford (featuring the most epic battle at that point) and Luffy’s backstory.

One Piece      August 31, 2023       Netflix

Episodes 1-8   Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S01.E01: ROMANCE DAWN
AAAABeBDcLWBCQtty1Y39eudLNU1y872AGF1j7iK
Stranded on a sinking boat, carefree Luffy begins his journey in search of a pirate king's lost treasure. But first, he'll need a crew, a ship and a map.

S01.E02: THE MAN IN THE STRAW HAT
AAAABWSTzZEtWGIBmtcds7aX_8hT-ZG4w_JUcqU2
After securing a map to the Grand Line, Luffy, Nami and Zoro are taken hostage by a no-nonsense clown. New cadet Koby is cornered by Vice-Admiral Garp.

S01.E03: TELL NO TALES
AAAABS7pWE5W3wvy19sAsUmkLgx1y5ip-N4aMJGl
In need of a proper ship, the gang reaches Syrup Village and meets the cheerful Usopp and his best friend Kaya. A sinister threat disrupts their plans.

S01.E04: THE PIRATES ARE COMING
AAAABenLQ1ztnb_joD7OGMOyMurbT_QrQxvEbw24
With his friends in danger and Klahadore's plan in motion, Usopp seeks help from the Marines. Blades clash when a fierce battle erupts at Kaya's mansion.

S01.E05: EAT AT BARATIE!
AAAABWfM0NpitSD_BY9gP8g6e7rSeW1ObcyJX4Zg
The Straw Hat Pirates face their first adversary as a group. At a floating fish house, Luffy befriends a cook, and Zoro enters a duel with a warlord.

S01.E06: THE CHEF AND THE CHORE BOY
AAAABfPn4gXy7yrsp4rrMRy_4-VbZCIcefSD7xmq
Sanji and head chef Zeff put their differences aside to save a severely wounded Zoro. A ruthless Fishman on a mission stirs up trouble for the crew.

S01.E07: THE GIRL WITH THE SAWFISH TATTOO
AAAABdqGO2cGPmsAi3UpKZipkrNu6IXiYrwdDIw1
After striking a deal with a familiar foe to find Arlong, Luffy and his friends set sail for Coco Village and learn about Nami's mysterious past.

S01.E08: WORST IN THE EAST
AAAABbr4WWNUdnNKkD1MJKJe2snBSkful6XUo3TH
The Straw Hat crew strives to take down Arlong and the Fishmen once and for all. After a tense family reunion, Luffy inches closer to his dreams.

Ok I'll bite.  I've hesitated posting here since there's minimal traffic but I've watched pockets of One Piece.  It's Mr Kat's fave anime and he's been watching since the beginning.  When I first started watching with him I was able to catch Punk Hazard, Dressrosa and Whole Cake Island with interim minor/filler arcs between all.  We stopped years ago when Wano started and mean to watch once the arc is completed which after 4 yrs is FINALLY wrapping up.

We don't have cable so no Toonami but Dressrosa is good stuff.  I'll spoiler tag for first time watchers but my only gripe is that...

Spoiler

Early on in the arc the Straw Hats split into two groups and pretty much don't reunite until sometime in Wano.  They briefly reunite shortly after Dressrosa minus one but you don't see them all as a full group for another 200-250 episodes, which might be a little disconcerting for those who like seeing them all in action together.

But overall it's a great arc and a well deserved comeuppance for one of the worlds most despicable villains. 

Now that there's episodes on Netflix we started watching from the beginning since I never saw the early pre time skip arcs.  Obviously I am mostly spoiled on early events but not on everything so it is fun to get the whole context of it and Mr Kat has enjoyed the rewatch.

We're in the thick of Enies Lobby now when Robin just declared "I WANT TO LIVE!" (Goosebumps!) And the Straw Hats are about to do the five episode long jump to the drawbridge. Also I hate Spandam, I hate him so much.  I want all the Straw Hats to take turns giving him beat downs while pouring hot coffee on him.  I will cheer loudly when this fucker goes down.

• Like 1