Type keyword(s) to search

Pedro Pascal: The Man Behind the Beskar

• Start Topic

On 12/22/2020 at 5:31 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

I just watched a video about David E. Kelley's failed Wonder Woman tv show and didn't realize that Pedro was in the pilot.

That's how Pedro met Patty Jenkins, who cast him in Wonder Woman 1984! He spent a lot of his career working in TV, doing guest spots or working on failed TV pilots. I'm glad he's finally getting some good roles.

ETA: Sorry, I was totally wrong about this factoid! Patty directed Pedro in a different TV pilot that never got picked up, and that's how they met. She did not direct the Wonder Woman TV show.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I remember Pedro from his stint on The Mentalist, and was too excited when I saw him on Game of Thrones to censor that information in a room full of TV snobs (Pike was great but you knew Lisbon was always going to be with Jane). I took some abuse, but it was worth it. Pedro has always seemed like a really down-to-earth person, so those rumours about discord on The Mandalorian set seem really disingenuous.

I am listening to the Still Watching podcast (from Vanity Fair writers Johnanna Robinson and Richard Lawson) on The Mandalorian and their interviews with the cast and crew have been interesting. Gina Carano's in particular I enjoyed, but knowing Pedro was not in the suit for the vast majority of S1 called into question some of her comments about him as a result.

I understand we will never really know what happens bts, I'm likely incredibly naive, and certainly anyone can have a bad day, but I just can't buy into Pedro Pascal being a whiny baby about the helmet when he wasn't even IN the costume most of the time.

• Love 1

I found a Youtube video about Ludwig Goransson and his process for composing the score. There’s one part that shows Ludwig in the recording studio with the orchestra, and Pedro is sitting beside him wearing the helmet (you know it’s him because he’s wearing the Fleetwood Mac t-shirt that he’s worn in a few other videos and photos). I can’t imagine that he’d wear the helmet away from the set if it were really that uncomfortable...

I also found a video by a New York theatre project (Public Theatre, maybe? I can’t remember) that was released back in the spring - Pedro is reciting a Spanish translation of Romeo’s balcony soliloquy to Juliet, and it is the hottest thing I have seen or heard for ages. (Edit: I know Juliet was on the balcony 😄)

Edited by Capricasix
  • Love 2

So, I was on another board, discussing "lost" episodes from various shows and remembered one. I own the European DVD of Season 8 of Law & Order: Criminal Intent, which contains the never-shown/not available on Peacock or US S8 DVD episode, "The Glory That Was". (If anyone here has watched that show, it is a Nichols/Wheeler episode, just to clarify.)

I mention this because I had ripped the lost episode to my computer and, lo and behold, Pedro Pascal is in the credits! (This was around 2008/2009, for reference.)

Never knew he had a role (or roles) in the L&O franchise. Cool!

• Love 2
14 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Never knew he had a role (or roles) in the L&O franchise. Cool!

He was actually on Law & Order: Criminal Intent twice, playing different characters! I think he's joked about it before. He was also on the original Law & Order. He did lots of TV before he broke out with Game of Thrones. I know I saw him on shows when they first aired, like Buffy, but didn't realize it!

• Love 3
5 hours ago, magdalene said:

https://movieweb.com/the-last-of-us-hbo-series-production-start/

The Last Of Us has started production in Canada and will film to about June of next year.

I have no idea how Pascal is going to have any time for working on Mando - which supposedly starts filming soon. Even assuming he were to spend as little time on set as in season 1 and doing mostly only the voice work.

That sucks! He should be able to do the voice work, since that can be done anywhere. But I think this means that Pedro won't be in the suit for season 3, or they'll push filming back. I'd rather he just not be in the suit then have them delay it any more.

• Love 2

Wikipedia says there will be 10 episodes of The Last of Us. Almost a year to film 10 episodes seems really long, especially given that usual 22 episode seasons film for, what, 7-9 months? Maybe there will be breaks that will allow Pedro time to film his Mandalorian scenes. 

On another note, I continue to be somewhat puzzled by how he ended up with this gig for Disney given the other projects he's working on. I'm also puzzled by the acting nominations/awards given how little time he actually spends acting for the show. I'm not trying to dog on the man - I enjoy him in the role. It just seems odd to me that such a big show for Disney is so reliant on someone who rarely seems available and doesn't appear on screen all that much. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, bethy said:

It just seems odd to me that such a big show for Disney is so reliant on someone who rarely seems available and doesn't appear on screen all that much. 

It has seemed odd to me all along that Lucas Film didn't have Pascal under some kind of contract that would prevent him from taking a job with a rival studio series, and where Lucas Film/The Mandalorian is now  playing second fiddle to the rival studio/ production. After all, Lucas Film had him first.

Something just doesn't add up for me.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, magdalene said:

It has seemed odd to me all along that Lucas Film didn't have Pascal under some kind of contract that would prevent him from taking a job with a rival studio series, and where Lucas Film/The Mandalorian is now  playing second fiddle to the rival studio/ production. After all, Lucas Film had him first.

Something just doesn't add up for me.

Non-compete clauses aren’t legal in California. Besides, DC and WB actually had him first with Wonder Woman so Lucas Films started out playing second fiddle. They must have felt it was worth it. 

10 hours ago, bethy said:

Wikipedia says there will be 10 episodes of The Last of Us. Almost a year to film 10 episodes seems really long, especially given that usual 22 episode seasons film for, what, 7-9 months? Maybe there will be breaks that will allow Pedro time to film his Mandalorian scenes. 

A year to film 10 episodes does seem weird. It makes me wonder if there will be a gap or if they are actually filming more than one season.  If that is the case and the second season follows the second game 

Spoiler

Pedro should be done filming before the show finishes filming.

On 8/10/2021 at 3:52 PM, bethy said:

On another note, I continue to be somewhat puzzled by how he ended up with this gig for Disney given the other projects he's working on. I'm also puzzled by the acting nominations/awards given how little time he actually spends acting for the show. I'm not trying to dog on the man - I enjoy him in the role. It just seems odd to me that such a big show for Disney is so reliant on someone who rarely seems available and doesn't appear on screen all that much. 

A lot of his recent work came after he was already cast as Mando. I'm guessing Disney thought from the start that they would use body doubles in the suit most of the time. But Pedro was available more for season 2, and showed his face, so spent more time on set. As far as acting awards, I don't think he's actually been nominated that much. And it's more for his voice acting, which is a huge part of a character who's face you can't see most of the time. It's all well deserved to me! 😁

• Love 2
On 8/11/2021 at 2:57 AM, Dani said:

Non-compete clauses aren’t legal in California. Besides, DC and WB actually had him first with Wonder Woman so Lucas Films started out playing second fiddle. They must have felt it was worth it. 

A non-compete is saying you can't work somewhere after you have left your employer.

It's legal, even in California, to have a contract that says you can't work for B while working for A.  So they totally could have negotiated a contract that said he couldn't work for anyone else as long as they were paying him.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, QuantumMechanic said:

It's legal, even in California, to have a contract that says you can't work for B while working for A.  So they totally could have negotiated a contract that said he couldn't work for anyone else as long as they were paying him.

True they could have but I can’t see this flying with an actor at Pedro’s level. I can’t even imagine how much they would have to pay an in demand actor to not work for anyone else during the entire run of a show. Also, Pedro was working for a competitor when he was cast as Mando.

Real world evidence shows that these contracts are not the norm. Actors work for competitors all the time. This idea that Disney would have or should have prevented Pedro from working for HBO Max ignores the fact that Pedro has a say. Plus that type of system really wouldn’t benefit Disney because they would be prevented from working with actors under contract with other studios. 

Edited by Guest
On 4/12/2022 at 3:59 PM, raven said:

Pedro Pascal is in Nicholas Cage's new movie and is getting good buzz

The movie is very funny and Pedro Pascal and Nic Cage are terrific together, hilarious even. They have great chemistry.  And if you are somebody who followed Cage's movie career in all its bizarre glory it is extra rewarding to watch.  Both Cage and Pascal look like they had a blast filming this movie.

• Love 4
On 4/22/2022 at 10:39 PM, magdalene said:

The movie is very funny and Pedro Pascal and Nic Cage are terrific together, hilarious even. They have great chemistry.  And if you are somebody who followed Cage's movie career in all its bizarre glory it is extra rewarding to watch.  Both Cage and Pascal look like they had a blast filming this movie.

I watched it last night and I loved it as well! I would love to see Pedro and Cage in another movie, they played so well off each other.

• Love 2

Pedro Pascal was a presenter at the Oscars last night.  He and Elizabeth Olsen presented the Oscar for Best Animated Short Film. He was introduced by Jimmy Kimmel as, iirc, someone that most of America was watching right now on either HBO or Disney Plus (referring to The Last of Us and The Mandalorian)...

elizabeth-olsen-pedro-pascal.jpg

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2
  • Wink 1

More awards recognition for Pedro Pascal...

2023 Gold Derby TV Awards ceremony: ‘Succession’ wins 7, ‘The Bear’ takes 4, Pedro Pascal is Performer of the Year [WATCH]
Daniel Montgomery, Chris Beachum, Marcus James Dixon, Denton Davidson, Ray Richmond, Christopher Rosen, Joyce Eng, Latasha Ford TV August 16, 2023 
https://www.goldderby.com/feature/2023-gold-derby-tv-awards-winners-list-1205521779/ 

More than 1,400 registered Gold Derby users voted worldwide to decide the winners of the 20th Annual Gold Derby TV Awards honoring the best achievements in television and streaming programs from June 2022 through May 2023. Scroll down to see the complete list of winners in all 30 categories.
Our most coveted award for an individual, Performer of the Year, went to Pedro Pascal. That award honors a performer for their overall impact throughout the TV season; Pascal’s one-two punch of “The Last of Us” and “Saturday Night Live” (for which we also awarded him Best Comedy Guest Actor), not to mention his Emmy-nominated narration for the nature program “Patagonia” helped him secure that prize for the first time, bringing his career total to four Gold Derby TV Awards. He previously won Best Drama Guest Actor and Best Drama Guest Actor of the Decade (2010-2019) for his stint on “Game of Thrones.”
COMEDY GUEST ACTOR:
Jon Bernthal, “The Bear”
James Caverly, “Only Murders in the Building”
Luke Kirby, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”
Nathan Lane, “Only Murders in the Building”
Zahn McClarnon, “Reservation Dogs”
X — Pedro Pascal, “Saturday Night Live”
PERFORMER OF THE YEAR:
Jessica Chastain
Jennifer Coolidge
Kieran Culkin
Bob Odenkirk
X — Pedro Pascal
Sarah Snook

Edited by tv echo

Pedro Pascal has been nominated for a Golden Globe for his performance in The Last of Us...

Golden Globes: Nominations List (Updating Live)
BY HILARY LEWIS    DECEMBER 11, 2023
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/golden-globes-nominations-2024-nominees-list-1235732736/ 

The 81st annual Golden Globe Awards is set to air live from the Beverly Hilton on CBS and stream on Paramount+ on Sunday, January 7, 2024, at 5 p.m. PT/8 p.m. ET. Though a host has yet to be announced, Emmy-winning producers Glenn Weiss and Ricky Kirshner are set to serve as showrunners with Weiss set to direct.
Best Performance by an Actor In A Television Series – Drama
Brian Cox (Succession)
Kieran Culkin (Succession)
Gary Oldman (Slow Horses)
Pedro Pascal (The Last of Us)
Jeremy Strong (Succession)
Dominic West (The Crown)

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

In a surprise upset, Pedro Pascal (The Last of Us) won the SAG Award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series...

SAG Awards 2024: ‘Oppenheimer’ Dominates as ‘Succession’ and ‘The Bear’ Win Top TV Prizes
By Selome Hailu, Brent Lang    Feb 24, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/film/news/sag-awards-winners-2024-full-list-1235921598/ 

Pedro Pascal: Award Acceptance Speech | 30th Annual SAG Awards
Netflix   Feb 24, 2024

Edited by tv echo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2