Type keyword(s) to search

Pedro Pascal: The Man Behind the Beskar

• Start Topic

I didn't know anything about Pedro before The Mandalorian. I had only seen him in Game of Thrones and Triple Frontier on Netflix. I had no idea he was born in Chile, but raised in the US. I started watching Narcos on Netflix, where he plays an American DEA agent in Columbia, so he gets to speak both English and Spanish. Even with the mustache and the unflattering 80's clothing, he's attractive! It's interesting that even his regular speaking voice sounds different than Mandos. Mando's is much more leveled and low-toned. He does such a great job with the voice.

I watched some interviews on youtube, and he's such a goofy, energetic, down to earth guy. He's the opposite of Mando. Here's one of my favorites: 10 Things Pedro Pascal can't live without by GQ 

Then I discovered that he was in a music video with Heidi Klum to promote her lingerie line, and holy smokes 🔥🔥🔥. How am I suppose to continue watching The Mandalorian knowing that's what is under all the armor?! lol Also, it gave me ideas on what might happen if he ever takes the armor off, which made me wish for once that this show was on HBO instead of Disney. 😁 Watch at your own risk.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, paigow said:

The dude was more naked on GoT than this video...

Watch The Equalizer 2 , The Great Wall and the final season of The Mentalist

Was he? I honestly don't remember and I no longer get HBO so I can't rewatch. 😞 But I think that video was way hotter than anything on GoT. Not a fan of the sex scenes on that show. Also, I hated his hair/facial hair in GoT, so I didn't find him particularly attractive back then. I'm on the second season of Narcos now and I think he might have more sex scenes in that then he does in anything! The Great Wall was horrible. I watched it just for him, but had to skip over a bunch of scenes he wasn't in because of how bad it was. I'll have to see if I can track down those other shows.

ETA I just went on pedro-pascal.com to look at screen caps of him in GoT, and he had his shirt off in only one scene. So yea, that Sia video was way hotter. lol  I was also reminded of the scene with him and Tyrion where he tells Tyrion that he would be his champion. That was such a great, well-acted scene.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

Then I discovered that he was in a music video with Heidi Klum to promote her lingerie line, and holy smokes 🔥🔥🔥. How am I suppose to continue watching The Mandalorian knowing that's what is under all the armor?! lol Also, it gave me ideas on what might happen if he ever takes the armor off, which made me wish for once that this show was on HBO instead of Disney. 😁 Watch at your own risk.

I mean, I just woke up. But I can already say that music video is the highlight of my day, so thank you.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, coppersin said:

I mean, I just woke up. But I can already say that music video is the highlight of my day, so thank you.

Did Heidi hire idiots from The Blacklist to "write" the script? So they were on the run? And had to burn down the house because he gave her a bloody body part? Blonde woman uses blonde wig as a disguise??? 

• LOL 2
28 minutes ago, paigow said:

Blonde woman uses blonde wig as a disguise??? 

It's the perfect disguise! If people see a wig, they won't suspect she's really blonde underneath. Ono Discworld book had a man with a beard hook a couple of bits of wire over his ears, and suddenly people thought it was a fake beard. Same logic.

• Useful 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

This Wired Autocomplete Interview with Pedro Pascal and Oscar Isaac makes me smile.

12 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

I could've written this post! Same on everything, but I would've also put in a link to this interview: Oscar Isaac & Pedro Pascal Answer the Web's Most Searched Questions.

That's a great video! I didn't want to overload people with too many vids, because they're all great! lol There's also a Facebook live interview he did with his Narcos costar that's really funny too. He seems to get along so well with all his costars, which I think is a sign of just a really nice person.

He did a fake talk show appearance for Funny or Die. It's super short but worth the watch just to see him crack up and spit his water out. Go to the 5 minute mark: https://youtu.be/6sPZsGoQ6-A

12 hours ago, paigow said:

Did Heidi hire idiots from The Blacklist to "write" the script? So they were on the run? And had to burn down the house because he gave her a bloody body part? Blonde woman uses blonde wig as a disguise??? 

He showed her a bloody rock. I think they were having an affair and he killed her husband? It's a lingerie commercial so all I really care about is Pedro rolling around shirtless on a bed.  lol Also, I think the blonde wig is a nod to the wigs that Sia wears.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, paigow said:

Then half would be black hair....and too long to see through...... 

Then it's probably a nod to Sia's real hair or the wig that the girl in many of her videos wears. Either way, I think that we're putting too much thought into a lingerie commercial. 😂 I noticed the video has over 100 million views. I wonder how many are repeat views. 😁

• Love 1
14 hours ago, paigow said:

Check out Wonder Woman 1984 trailer. Our hero is a villain again.....

I couldn't tell what kind of villain he's suppose to be, but he looks so weird! And now I'm imagining Mando taking off his helmet and having that hairstyle. 😆

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

I would like to put out a bounty on whoever decided to screw around with 'Blue Monday', hrmpf.

Funny, after I first watched the trailer, I was in the mood to listen to the full song, and discovered there are around 6 different versions on spotify all by New Order. I'm not sure which one, if any, is used in the trailer.

I was thinking that Pedro has such a good voice, it'd be cool if he did some book narration, and then I found out that he has narrated some children's books. They're long books -  about 7 hours. He did them 10 years ago, and definitely sounds different than he does today. Younger, I suppose - imagine that. lol You can listen to samples here:

https://www.audible.com/search?searchNarrator=Pedro+Pascal

I'm also on season 3 of Narcos, which he narrates. The actor that played his partner narrated the first 2 seasons, so it was a pleasant surprise to hear Pedro's voice in the beginning. He sounds closer to Mando in that. 🙂  

Edited by pezgirl7
On 12/9/2019 at 10:32 AM, pezgirl7 said:

Funny, after I first watched the trailer, I was in the mood to listen to the full song, and discovered there are around 6 different versions on spotify all by New Order. I'm not sure which one, if any, is used in the trailer.

The Blue Monday remix in the Wonder Woman trailer is by Sebastian Böhm.

• Love 1

You know how there are occasionally those random actors or actresses who fly under your own personal radar, even though they have worked steadily for years, and everyone else except you seems to know exactly who they are?  🤣  They're not really household names, but they seem to be very well-known by everyone but you.

That was my experience with Pedro Pascal.  Now, in hindsight, I can go back and look at what he's done and say "Oh yeah!  I think I saw him in that project, or in that video, and I didn't know who he was."  For the most part, however, he was not really on my radar until this year.  I am usually pretty familiar with at least the names of actors and actresses (if not their work too) -- unless they're under 20 years old or whatever.   But I really was not all that aware of Pedro.  Any TV series that Pedro was on, I either never watched at all, or I stopped watching it before he got there, or I don't remember that he was even on it to begin with!

Pedro also doesn't seem to be someone whose dating life is splashed all over tabloids and entertainment media, so I didn't even know of him that way either.  I guess he's very private about who he sees??  Other than his rumored relationship with Lena Headey, I know nothing about his romantic life.  I've seen speculation about him, but I don't know enough about him to know what's true or not true. 

Anyway, I'm a Disney fan.  So I was following along with the coverage of their biennial D23 Expo in August, and saw that this guy who walked onstage in a 1970s-inspired outfit was going to be the star of The Mandalorian.  My first thought was... "Seriously??  Who is that guy?"

Just as pezgirl7 did, I began watching assorted interviews with Pedro, reading articles about him, etc.  I was surprised to learn that he is 44 years old (I assumed he was younger) and that part of his formative years were spent in Orange County, CA.  He won me over with his personality, and because he is well-spoken, loves cinema, etc. 

Pedro is very intriguing.  He's definitely attractive and sexy, but it's not necessarily in a blatant way that smacks you in the face right up front.  It kind of sneaks up slowly!  lol  He seems like the sort of guy who is probably much more intelligent and worldly than one would expect, but he can easily slip into some silly high school locker room banter and make immature comments when the occasion calls for it.  One minute he is saying something articulate and poetic, and the next second he is joking about doing drugs and "getting laid."

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 5
On 12/25/2019 at 3:35 PM, TVFan17 said:

Pedro is very intriguing.  He's definitely attractive and sexy, but it's not necessarily in a blatant way that smacks you in the face right up front.  It kind of sneaks up slowly!  lol  He seems like the sort of guy who is probably much more intelligent and worldly than one would expect, but he can easily slip into some silly high school locker room banter and make immature comments when the occasion calls for it.  One minute he is saying something articulate and poetic, and the next second he is joking about doing drugs and "getting laid."

YES to your entire post! 🙂 He's pretty goofy in video interviews, but I've read some written interviews where he definitely is more articulate. And he's very into activism and human rights. In one interview he said something to the effect of how he actually felt guilty that he's so dedicated to his craft which prevented him from giving 100% of his time to the causes he cares about.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

I just discovered that Pedro was in a sock commercial last year where he dances, among other things. It's... something! 🤣

It's not Pedro's fault, of course, but that is a bizarre long-form sock commercial!  It would have been weird no matter who starred in it, but it certainly shows that Pedro is full of surprises!

• Love 3
On 12/7/2019 at 3:55 PM, pezgirl7 said:

It's so funny to periodically check in on this sizzling video and read the comments that are coming in from newer viewers.  I think that as more people are beginning to discover The Mandalorian, they are becoming more curious about the man under the helmet and are looking up info about/photos of Pedro (if they didn't already know of him on Game of Thrones or wherever).  So as they are discovering this video, they are realizing there is a whole other side to Mando!

One person just commented today to say "Pedro Pascal can literally split me up like a coconut."  🤣🤣  It's probably not a Disney-friendly comment, but I laughed out loud anyway.

Edited by TVFan17
  • LOL 5
1 hour ago, TVFan17 said:

One person just commented today to say "Pedro Pascal can literally split me up like a coconut."  🤣🤣  It's probably not a Disney-friendly comment, but I laughed out loud anyway.

I just went to the video and sorted the comments by New and OMG. The thirst is real. 😂

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I just listened to a podcast that Pedro was on in 2018 called Talk Art. He kept saying that he didn't know anything about art, but he definitely does. But he also talked about other topics, like his early childhood, being depressed when he left home at 18, what is going through his head when he watches movies, and why his favorite color is purple. It's really a great interview, and listening to his lovely voice is a bonus. 🙂 You can listen to it on spotify.

• Love 3

I posted this over in the Media thread, but it fits here too.

Pedro Pascal Rumored for Moon Knight

The reason I think this bit of info is particularly interesting is that, IF Pedro is the one chosen to be the lead in the Moon Knight series for Marvel/Disney+, I wonder what it means for The Mandalorian

I mean, yes, I know that, technically, if the schedules don't conflict and if Pedro is mostly only doing voice work for The Mandalorian, he should be able to pull off doing both series IF Disney wants him leading both series. 

But I still tend to wonder, however, if The Mandalorian is going to continue as a series beyond Season 2 or 3 - and if it continues past Season 2, will the focus shift to a different Mandalorian or to a different lead character?  It could also be that there is a clear end in mind for The Mandalorian as a series, and that it could turn into an occasional 2-hour movie here and there, or even just one movie, which would free up some extra time for Pedro to move into the Moon Knight series role (assuming he is cast in it, which has not yet been officially announced).

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out!

Anyway, it sounds as though Moon Knight is going to be darker and probably much bloodier and gorier than The Mandalorian, so it will have a different feel to it!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

First saw Pedro Pascal in "Kingsman: The Golden Circle (2017)"; before that had never heard of him either. (Guess I'm one of the three people on the planet who have not seen "Game of Thrones".)

Edited by PentaHookUp
Add name.
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, PentaHookUp said:

First saw Pedro Pascal in "Kingsman: The Golden Circle (2017)"; before that had never heard of him either. (Guess I'm one of the three people on the planet who have not seen "Game of Thrones".)

I tried to get beyond the first 2 seasons of GoT, but it just didn't grab me.  I had already bailed on the show long before Pedro joined the cast.  Clearly I am in the minority because it was a huge hit, and certainly one of HBO's most iconic, most popular series.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, PentaHookUp said:

You're not the only one. I first saw him on am episode of Law & Order in 2008. Remember thinking, "Who is THAT!"

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Gillian Rosh said:

You're not the only one. I first saw him on am episode of Law & Order in 2008. Remember thinking, "Who is THAT!"

Wow! Good memory! I first saw him in Buffy way back in 1999, and I can vaguely remember his character. 

Kingsman: The Golden Circle is going to be on FX this Wednesday. His character is... quite the character! Only Pedro can look like Burt Reynolds, spout cheesy lines, and still be attractive. sigh

• Love 2

I used to watch Buffy every week, and I know I saw the episode that Pedro was in but I can barely even remember his character, let alone remember that he was that guy.  I will have to watch it again.  His IMDB page says that he was in an episode of Touched by an Angel too, and I am trying to figure out if I ever saw that one!  Otherwise, I think Pedro did single episodes of a few other series I used to watch, and I don't remember his characters.  I think I started to watch The Good Wife after Pedro left the show (and then stopped watching not long after), so I missed him there too.  So he was basically just not on my radar because he was never a weekly regular on series I was actually sticking with from beginning to end.

Anyway, I don't think this link has been posted, although I could have missed it.  Has anyone seen this gem (below) from back when Pedro was on Game of Thrones?  I guess it was in 2014.  He did one of those "Ask Me Anything" Q&A sessions on Reddit.  It's a long thread, but there are some interesting questions and some great answers (I'm guessing Pedro might have been giving his answers to Victoria from Reddit, who was typing them out).  Someone linked a photo with Pedro at a Kings of Leon concert in Ireland.  Pedro talked about his love of junk food.  Someone asked him to marry them.  Pedro answered a lot of basic, fun questions as well as questions about his GoT character and a lot of other things.  It is worth it to spend some time reading the thread, even though it is long.  Click on the box and it will open up the full thread.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 4
(edited)

He loves elephants, Jane Eyre and Whatchamacallits? Can he marry me already? 😆

I recently read this great article/interview about Pedro that was written by his cousin in Chile. It’s so personal, and makes me love him even more. His parents sound fascinating, and the story behind him changing his name is really interesting. Here's part of it, using google translate:

Although you regretted it, at some point you became Alexander. Why?

“That was a desperate period and directly related to having lost my mother. I was desperate to work, to fill my days with something else to suffer. To eliminate the confusion that the casting directors had with this guy named Pedro with European or Caucasian features, I changed my first name to Alexander and took my mother’s last name, Pascal. That only lasted a year, until I was able to find a job and be selected for an Ibsen theatrical classic. But it was too late for people to identify me as “Alex.” Also, my mom named me Pedro. So the decision was to call myself Pedro Pascal, a name that fits me more than any other.”

Do you miss something from when you were Pedro Balmaceda?

“You know? There is very little difference between Pedro Balmaceda and Pedro Pascal. As it is all part of José Pedro Balmaceda Pascal, I feel the same person. But with back problems and more money.”

He also said that in high school, he went by Peter. I'm glad he went back to Pedro!

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 3

Has anyone been able to determine or identify any of the times when Pedro IS in the Mandalorian armor?  Can anyone recognize any subtle differences in gait, height, weight, general build or anything like that?   I am not familiar enough with Pedro's walk, height and build to be able to tell.

Brendan Wayne said that his daughter can tell which scenes her daddy is in, but I can't tell the difference between Brendan and anyone else in the suit!

We know that Pedro wasn't on the set during the filming of Chapter 4 ("Sanctuary"), as Bryce Dallas Howard said she never worked with Pedro at all when she directed that episode.   He was away, working on something else. 

Brendan Wayne also suggested that he (Brendan) was the one in the cockpit at one point in Chapter 3 ("the Sin"), when Baby Yoda was trying to eat the silver ball.

Things get a bit more vague when it comes to Chapter 5 ("The Gunslinger").  In December, Pedro posted a photo of Amy Sedaris that looked as though it might have been taken backstage or in a dressing room or green room at some point during the filming of that specific episode.  He didn't post the photo until that episode premiered, so I assume he was on the set to take the picture of Amy whenever filming took place and he just hung on to it until it was safe to post it.  I am going to guess that Pedro is in the armor at some point in Chapter 5.

And we know that Pedro was in Chapter 8 ("Redemption") for at least a couple of minutes, but maybe not in any full-length shots.

There have also been reports that Pedro was instructed to essentially mimic Brendan Wayne's walk, and that Pedro was picking Brendan's brain about why he moved a certain way in this scene or that scene.  That implies that Pedro was in the suit, on camera, at one point or another.

So I think it is fair to say that, although Pedro is not in the armor a lot of the time -- maybe not even most of the time -- he is in it at some point, in certain episodes, but no one will say which ones.   It might be something as simple as just walking off in the distance, or sitting down in the cockpit.  It could be quick shots from the shoulders up.

I wasn't planning on keeping Disney+ for more than a couple of months.  I had planned on cancelling the subscription for now, and then restarting it whenever Season 2 of The Mandalorian begins.  But I am almost tempted to watch Season 1 again, from start to finish (after already watching it 2 or 3 times), before I cancel -- just to see if I can figure out when Pedro is the one on camera!

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 4

This is what I am curious about as well.  My understanding was this was Pedro Pascal as the Mandalorian, full stop. Of course, I knew it would be a stuntman for the stunts and overly physically demanding aspects of the role, but that basically, it was PP under the mask for much of the time.

So it was surprising and disappointing to learn that he wasn't in episode 4 at all and that he may not have really physically been in the role for too much of the other 7 episodes either. That it seems he based his physical performance on what his stunt double created, not the other way around.  So it really seems like it was a collaborative experience for the entire series but it hasn't been credited that way, which I think is a mistake. Considering how much of The Mandalorian's character is in his physical presence and physical performance, the stunt doubles aren't getting nearly enough credit they should be.

But still, I'm really curious to know how often it was PP, and if it'll continue for Season 2 or if PP will be in it less or more than Season 1.

• Love 6
58 minutes ago, Vella said:

This is what I am curious about as well.  My understanding was this was Pedro Pascal as the Mandalorian, full stop. Of course, I knew it would be a stuntman for the stunts and overly physically demanding aspects of the role, but that basically, it was PP under the mask for much of the time.

So it was surprising and disappointing to learn that he wasn't in episode 4 at all and that he may not have really physically been in the role for too much of the other 7 episodes either. That it seems he based his physical performance on what his stunt double created, not the other way around.  So it really seems like it was a collaborative experience for the entire series but it hasn't been credited that way, which I think is a mistake. Considering how much of The Mandalorian's character is in his physical presence and physical performance, the stunt doubles aren't getting nearly enough credit they should be.

But still, I'm really curious to know how often it was PP, and if it'll continue for Season 2 or if PP will be in it less or more than Season 1.

Exactly!  I am so curious about that too -- if Season 2 will mean that Pedro is physically present onscreen (under the armor) more than in Season 1, or less, or not at all.  If his absence in Season 1 was mostly due to scheduling conflicts, then it could be that he will be onscreen more often in Season 2.  Or... when Pedro learned that he didn't have to actually be on the set for much of the time in Season 1, did he then plan his other projects because he had time to spare? lol

I can totally understand not doing the physically demanding stunts, but if Pedro wasn't even there in the "It's not a toy" scene where Baby Yoda was trying to put the silver ball up to his mouth, then I am thinking a lot of Pedro's absences were due to scheduling conflicts or just due to continuity reasons.

That said, I still think that Pedro was there at certain points.  Maybe some episodes featured both Pedro and the other two men -- all playing the same character in different scenes of the same episode!

I'm going to take an extra close look at Chapter 5 again, though, knowing that Pedro was at least in the vicinity of Amy Sedaris when she was in character.  He might have been in one of the scenes with her.

I wish they could all tell us when it's Pedro and when it's the other guys, but I suppose they are all legally prevented from doing so.

• Love 4
(edited)

I am also super curious about this, and I honestly can't tell any differences. If I had to guess, Pedro was never in the suit in season 1, except for the face reveal. Someone on reddit who said they worked on season 1 claimed that Pedro was never on set. But then we have quotes from Brendan and Pedro which seem to contradict that. Although could they have been talking about season 2? Also in the Talk Art podcast, Pedro said he would be in London until the beginning of December filming Wonder Woman, and season 1 of The Mandalorian was filming for all of November. If he didn't do any filming for half the episodes, why even bother having him in the suit at all? Also, Mando looks very slim in pretty much all the episodes, and Pedro did seem a bit chunkier during that time and had a bit of a tummy. But I feel like the easiest way to tell would be by looking at the shoulders, because Pedro has such broad shoulders. Time for a rewatch!

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 5

If Pedro hadn't posted the picture of Amy Sedaris in her Peli garb and hair (she is on a couch, so it's probably in a dressing room or an office on the set or something), I would have assumed that he was never on the set during the filming of Season 1 at all, except for when he had to shoot his face close-up for the season finale.  Maybe he had to learn to pick up Brendan's walk and also learn from Brendan why he moved this way or that way during certain scenes in preparation for Season 2, as pezgirl7 suggested.

But it seems like he must have been on the set at some point during the filming of Season 1 -- even if not in the armor -- just observing what was going on.  Between Wonder Woman and also his rehearsals for whatever play he was doing, it sounds as though Pedro was away from the set most of the time.  Maybe he filmed his face close-up for Chapter 8 on the day he saw Amy on the set during the filming of Chapter 5?  Or maybe he filmed his close-up in December 2018?

Well, the whole thing is a mystery, for sure.  If Season 2 is going to involve Mando's face being shown again -- especially more than one time - then Pedro would have to be present on the set more often, of course.  He was in Los Angeles at certain points in both November and December 2019 (one of the AfterBuzz TV hosts said he came to the place she worked last month -- don't know what kind of establishment it is -- and that he tipped really well, "like 50%," she said), but that doesn't necessarily mean he was on the actual Mandalorian set when he was in town.  Hmm...

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 4