Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Moms' Night Out

Gia joins the She-Wolf Pack for a night of dancing, complete with stars, while Matt has a "Dudes Night In." Later, Matt tries to bond with Rocki.

Dudes Night In was way more interesting than Girls Night Out - I like that Matt and Steve are bros, with random assists from Fernando. 

Also, Steve holding Dani Jo as the women came back home was very sweet. 

Edited by jmonique
  • Love 6
On 12/17/2019 at 10:53 AM, Commando Cody said:

I can't believe Matt married Gia.  I find both Gia and Rocki highly annoying. Gia is a train wreck. 

I feel like they have progressively dumbed down Matt's character ever since the broken engagement with DJ. 

Agreed. Rocki’s silly mind games with Jackson grate on my nerves. He’s uneasy around her, like he’s afraid of making a misstep that will get him mocked by her.  It did warm my cold dead heart to see Rocki genuinely smiling and applauding during the proposal routine. Maybe there’s hope.

Gia is unwatchable for me.  I wanted to smack her for chiding DJ for not offering Rocki a drink and sarcastically thanking DJ for ruining her bridal shower as if DJ was supposed to know the dance club was no more.  I don’t understand the source of the hate between them.  In the original series, I remember DJ thinking that Gia was a bad influence on Steph, but nothing that’d warrant a decades-long grudge unless I missed something. It was actually young Michelle who used to clap back at Gia. 

Totally agree that Matt has become cartoonish. I wonder if they dumbed him down to solidify in viewers’ minds that DJ made the right choice. I always shipped DJ and Normal Matt.

I need to stop harping on reality, but it’s so funny how there’s no weirdness or awkwardness (save for Matt’s drugged confession at the mayor’s house) between DJ, Steve, and Matt and the boys are such tight bros. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Mrs. Landingham said:

Totally agree that Matt has become cartoonish. I wonder if they dumbed him down to solidify in viewers’ minds that DJ made the right choice. I always shipped DJ and Normal Matt.

I shipped normal Matt and DJ, as well. I felt that DJ had moved on from Steve by marrying someone else and having children with him.  They also seemed to progressively make Steve less buffoonish as well.  

• Love 6

I just hope in the next installment of episodes with the wedding, the dialogue doesn’t feature a lot of “a wedding 25 years in the making” or “this should have happened 25 years ago!” stuff.  DJ was happily married during several of those years, and suggesting that she ought to have rightfully been with Steve all along just weirdly repudiates the existence of the three sons. There was a hint of this in the current set of episodes when Steve declared that he and DJ have loved each other for 25 years and DJ quickly clarified that that wasn’t precisely true given that she was married for part of that time. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Mrs. Landingham said:

I just hope in the next installment of episodes with the wedding, the dialogue doesn’t feature a lot of “a wedding 25 years in the making” or “this should have happened 25 years ago!” stuff.  DJ was happily married during several of those years, and suggesting that she ought to have rightfully been with Steve all along just weirdly repudiates the existence of the three sons. There was a hint of this in the current set of episodes when Steve declared that he and DJ have loved each other for 25 years and DJ quickly clarified that that wasn’t precisely true given that she was married for part of that time. 

Definitely agree.

• Love 1

Agreed that this show does not invite viewers to harp on reality, but this half-season has felt particularly devoid of some of the bigger issues that used to hover around the fringes. It’s almost as if DJ is so content not because she’s with suddenly!perfect!Steve rather than suddenly!dumb!Matt but because so many of the things that stressed her in the past are just... gone.

It’s easy to forget that this family has a dog, with all the work that entails.

It’s easy to forget the existence of Tommy (and his speech delay, which looks all the more severe where show-time has moved a bit faster than real-time).

Neither of the older boys has had any kind of problem relating to their father’s death lately. I wouldn’t expect it to be a constant issue five years after his death, but I would expect grief to pop up here and there as the family expands to include Steve, and it hasn’t.

Work is apparently so easy that it deserves only the rarest mention and generally doesn’t affect family time or household management.

And in most episodes Dani appears not to have affected the rhythm of the house at all.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Mrs. Landingham said:

I wanted to mention this, but I couldn't remember which episode I saw their talk in.  The situation reminded me too much of the ending of another long running comedy tv series - that had nine seasons and ended horribly.  

• Love 2

The big dance number was really fun, this show kind of weirdly does a really good job with dance choreography. I forgot how long its been since the first girls night, it was back when Fernando and Kimmy weren't together still! 

Always nice to see Matt, although honestly I think he can do better than Gia. Gia can be funny, and I love her brand of snark in the squeaky clean Tanner/Fuller world, and she and Steph have a nice friendship, but sometimes she can just be so unpleasant for no reason. I do always like seeing Matt and Steve, their bromance will never die!

• Love 3
18 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Always nice to see Matt, although honestly I think he can do better than Gia. Gia can be funny, and I love her brand of snark in the squeaky clean Tanner/Fuller world, and she and Steph have a nice friendship, but sometimes she can just be so unpleasant for no reason. I do always like seeing Matt and Steve, their bromance will never die!

Gia's problem is, she is basically jealous of what the Fuller Household has. What does Gia have? Her relationship with her mother is gone, she has a string of exes and is divorced. While her relationship with Steph has been good for her. At the same time, DJ wants to try and move on from how Gia acted, but then she quickly goes back to: "Yeah, but this idiot!" Which, is what really pisses off DJ. Then add in that Rocky's relationship with Jackson that has been so back and forth the past three seasons. Why wouldn't she also get defensive at times. However, in the long run, Gia is jealous that they all seem happy despite the crap they have been thrown their way since their mother died when they were little. While, with Gia it's been hit and misses, mostly misses all her life. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3